• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should There Be A Punjabi Prison Match PPV?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
300px-Punjabi_Prison_No_Mercy_07.jpg

I think the Punjabi Prison match is a great idea. The problem I have with the way WWE does it is, they always put big men in this match. There was the match between Big Show and The Undertaker at The Great American Bash 2006, and there was Batista VS Khali at No Mercy 2007 for the World Heavyweight Championship. Both of these matches featured giants, and with a structure like the Punjabi Prison, that's not the right way to go about doing this match.

The Punjabi Prison is a very amazing structure. I guess you could consider it the bamboo version of the Elimination Chamber. Since the Chamber and Hell In The Cell are already know for causing brutality, then why not make the Punjabi prison a spectacle for spot monkeys or smaller athletic wrestlers? Imagine Evan Bourne, Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, or Dolph Ziggler in this match. Of course to add a big match feel to the prison, you could add guys like Cena,Triple H, and Orton.

This could be done two different ways. The prison matches could be for a #1 contender spot or they could be for a world championship. Vince seems to be falling in love with gimmick match ppvs, so why not bring back the Punjabi Prison match? This could be something fans look forward to watching on ppv every year. As long as WWE keeps Khali, and other big men out of this match, I think it could work.

Would you want to see a Punjabi Prison match ppv?

Would this work?

Thoughts?

A thousand times no.

Look, the sad fact is, most multi-cage matches are absolutely horrendous. See; The Doomsday Cage Match at the 1996 Uncensored. The Triple Cage Match at the 2000 Slamboree. Having a full ppv pf these types of matches is asking for a .1 buyrate. The only reason these matches were created in the first place was because of the Great Khali. It would make no sense placing another two opponents in there. It makes as much sense as having a casket match with no Undertaker. The Punjabi Prison is a match meant to get over Khali's gimmick. You can't write a reason for having two other wrestlers go into this match, without some involvement by Khali. Aside from that, the matches are usually poor anyway, regardless of who's involved. See my examples I've used above.

I like you; but no.

Tenta is right about the fact that Khali would have to be involved or they would need to change the name of the match.

As for multi-cage matches, how could you forget to mention the Kennel From Hell Match?

I do think that WWE could do a little more of a spot-fest gimmick match putting a bunch of the 'smaller' guys into a match like that would mean that those guys would be essentially showing that they can take a beating. I think in Vince's eyes that would mean that if Vince then wants to put his bigger stars into that type of match, they'd have to take even more of a beating or the smaller guys would seem to be on the same level as the big guys. While I don't necessarily agree with that, I can see his logic.

I don't agree with the concept of a punjabi prison ppv, it seems like a pretty bad idea, I'm finding it difficult enough trying to get to grips with the other new ppv concepts they have now, some of them are grand, but the others I guess I'll have to wait and see how they act out,and some of them i didn't really like that much, i don't really mind the idea of a money in the bank ppv, so long as they at least have it in WM26 this year.

But back to the point, punjabi prison ppv would be a bit too much, andI never really liked the match in it's own right anyway, they should just leave it to the steel cage/hell in a cell/elimination chamber matches when it comes to being locked inside something.

well i like the concept of the smaller guys in a punjabi match;vince should make it a 8man match;like 4 smaller talented guys;nd 4 biq stars;but have a midcarder win the match and put him over the big stars;have him face for the brand championship;if hes a benjamin,morrison,kingston,dibiase make him win gold;but if its a bourne;guerrero;marella;swagger;mcintyre have him lose the tittle match nd get put over for a future championship match;other than that i would like the punjabi match to happen this wrestlemania

I would love this. It's my favorite type of cage match. Plus it's different. It's inovative and has different consepts. As long as sertain big men (exept Undertaker, and Khali) stay out. And I always wanted to see it with smaller spotty people. It's easier then you think to have it. I'd just either have Evan Bourne Or Tyson Kidd talk about how they want to be challeged in a different invirment to the fans. Then I'd have them have few a high-flying extreme matches that destroy WWE property. With his stuff destroy'ed Vince gets pissed and punishes them by forcing them to compiet in the Punjabi Prison Match

I would love this. It's my favorite type of cage match. Plus it's different. It's inovative and has different consepts. As long as sertain big men (exept Undertaker, and Khali) stay out. And I always wanted to see it with smaller spotty people. It's easier then you think to have it. I'd just either have Evan Bourne Or Tyson Kidd talk about how they want to be challeged in a different invirment to the fans. Then I'd have them have few a high-flying extreme matches that destroy WWE property. With his stuff destroy'ed Vince gets pissed and punishes them by forcing them to compiet in the Punjabi Prison Match

well i like the concept of the smaller guys in a punjabi match;vince should make it a 8man match;like 4 smaller talented guys;nd 4 biq stars;but have a midcarder win the match and put him over the big stars;have him face for the brand championship;if hes a benjamin,morrison,kingston,dibiase make him win gold;but if its a bourne;guerrero;marella;swagger;mcintyre have him lose the tittle match nd get put over for a future championship match;other than that i would like the punjabi match to happen this wrestlemania

you don't think that'd be a ripoff of the TNA Xscape match?

frankly I think we learned from HIAC PPV that basing a PPV solely on an enclosure gimmick like this could end tragically in terms of fan interest

Ummmmm.....These were two of the worst stipulation matches in history. If WWE wants NO buys, then sure! Otherwise, its a terrible idea. WWEnd sais has come oput themselves and said these matches weren't good, and confusing. Why would they want to CENTER a PPV around it?

The OP suggested they keep Khali out of it. Well, he is the ronly current wrestler from Punjab, and the only one ever. And one of the two Punjabi Prison matches didn't . iinclude Khali. The first one, in fact, was between Big Show and Taker. It still sucked. In fact, it may have been WORSE then the second one, which included Khali, as well as Batista.

I agree that it's an impressive structure. But it takes more then a structure to make a good match. It takes a structure that leads to the participants having a good match. The Punjabi Prison match just doesn't provide that for even a match, let alone a PPV theme. I give you credit for trying to be innovative and trying to come up with an idea, but the Punjabi match isn't a good one.

Ummmmm.....These were two of the worst stipulation matches in history. If WWE wants NO buys, then sure! Otherwise, its a terrible idea. WWE themselves has come out and said these matches weren't good, and confusing. Why would they want to CENTER a PPV around it?

The OP suggested they keep Khali out of it. Well, he is the only current wrestler from Punjab, and the only one ever. And one of the two Punjabi Prison matches didn't . iinclude Khali. The first one, in fact, was between Big Show and Taker. It still sucked. In fact, it may have been WORSE then the second one, which included Khali, as well as Batista.

I agree that it's an impressive structure. But it takes more then a structure to make a good match. It takes a structure that leads to the participants having a good match. The Punjabi Prison match just doesn't provide that for even a match, let alone a PPV theme. I give you credit for trying to be innovative and trying to come up with an idea, but the Punjabi match isn't a good one.

Ummmmm.....These were two of the worst stipulation matches in history. If WWE wants NO buys, then sure! Otherwise, its a terrible idea. WWE themselves has come out and said these matches weren't good, and confusing. Why would they want to CENTER a PPV around it?

The OP suggested they keep Khali out of it. Well, he is the only current wrestler from Punjab, and the only one ever. And one of the two Punjabi Prison matches didn't . iinclude Khali. The first one, in fact, was between Big Show and Taker. It still sucked. In fact, it may have been WORSE then the second one, which included Khali, as well as Batista.

Absolutely not. The match was only made for The Great Khali to further get his gimmick over with the crowd. In fact, besides the Undertaker, Khali is really the only other person in WWE that has a match associated with him. Even though the guy is horrible in the ring, I wouldn't want to water down the thing that makes him special by having a PPV dedicated to the Punjabi Prison and him only being able to be in one match anyway. Maybe not even that.

I've never seen a great PP match, but I thought it was an interesting concept.

I don't really think it would work well as a theme because a Punjabi Prison match wouldn't feel right without Khali in it, plus a whole show of these matches would end being like a bad version of Lockdown. However, I think it could work as one of the matches at Hell In a Cell, since the two types of matches share a small similarity. Have two guys who are feuding get Khali involved somehow (he won't have to be in the match itself) and then have Ranjin Singh translate that Khali has told them they should settle their differences in a Punjabi Prison match.... I'd rather see the match return that way (Hell In a Cell is probably the best PPV to put it on since the two matches are somewhat similar) instead of having a whole PPV full of these matches. Even if it's just the main events that are Punjabi Prison matches, I still don't think it would be a good idea. Only one of these matches a year would be enough, it's a cool match and I'd like to see it come back.... just not as a PPV theme because it's not the kind of match that a whole PPV card should be built around.

There's no way I'd rent a PPV with THIS as the "gimmick" of the night as I'm going to call it.
Granted, it would be great to see some flips and dives and just sick shit outta preformers in that structure, but in actuality it would just be AWFUL IMO. You MUST have Khali in that match, as someone stated before, its like having a casket match with no Undertaker. It just would seem wrong to me.
If WWE wants to have a spot fest with these guys they don't need to bring in all new concepts and thrown them in an intimidtaing structure, just throw a couple ladders in the ring, some tables, and have at it. IMO that's improv at its best. WWE needs to scrap the idea, my personal feelings that they need 2 scrap MOST of the gimmick PPV's, IMO get back to doing In Your House type deals,remember you used to be able to win shit and they had superstar visits, dinners and stuff like that. IMO that would help WWE a lot, because with no blood and a PG rating, ther is only so far you can go and some of the match type "names" they call for blood, or it would be expected to see.

NO WAY...that is one of the stupidest gimmick matches ever. There is a reason why there has only been 2 of those kind of matches in the WWE...and thats cause they suck. I, for one, would NOT be purchasing that PPV if they made one lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back