• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should the WWE Focus on Producing More Vignettes

Flair is Overrated

Dark Match Winner
The Wyatt Family vignettes have been creating a lot of buzz, and rightfully so. In my opinion, they are up there with the introductory vignettes for Mr. Perfect and Ted Dibiase as the best of all time.

I'm not saying or predicting that Bray Wyatt will go on to have a career like those of Henning and Dibiase, who, in my opinion, are both among the 20 greatest wrestlers of all time (and also two of the most underrated of all time), although I do see a lot of potential in Wyatt. But the videos are clearly giving him a boost for his main roster debut.

But are the vignettes really important, and does the "E" need to focus on them? Guys like Henning and Dibiase would have become superstars no matter the push or gimmick they received. They were just that talented. I think it was smart to push both of them and include the vignettes, because when you have talent on that level, why waste time getting them out there. They were both very experienced by their big promotion debuts, so it was a very good idea to get them the exposure and move them up the card right away. And Wyatt looks like a future star to me, so I also think it's a good idea to push him right away.

Then you have others who received the vignette packages and pushes, and failed to get over. Guys like Kangaroo Jack (back in the Golden Age for those too young to remember), who probably had about three or four televised matches before he became a jobber to the stars. Or the Highlanders, who never amounted to much.

Personally, I think that when you get guys like Henning and Dibiase, or the Wyatt Family, and they look like close to sure things to get over, it's worth the investment to produce quality vignettes and push them. But producing too many is overkill, and waters down the impact, even for those who have talent.

Their nice every now and then, like everything in wrestling if you do it too much it loses its aura. WWE do one vignette and they get people talking, I recall the "Revolution Is Coming" vignette to promote the video game getting all kinds of stupid responses (why anyone thought it could have been for Dean Ambrose I'll never know), but if you did that for everyone that comes in then it wouldn't be as special. You'd have people saying, "awh not another stupid vignette, I'm gonna go post on the Internet how this sucks and is ruining the company."

Wyatt Family is going to be cool though. Looking forward to seeing them debut and their progression on the main roster. Most of their NXT work has been gold.

1000% they should. It puts zero pressure on new talent as they can do re-takes and record it as much as it takes to be perfect, gets them comfortble in the roll, and gets a pre-made buzz going before they even go through the curtain the first time. Getting momentum rolling and being recognizable right off the bat are some of the hardest things to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back