• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should The Undertaker's Streak be ended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Coming up to 20 years since The Undertaker first entered the ring at the grandest stage of them all. In that time he has won all 17 of his match, defeating 17 men in that time. He will be entering Wrestlemania again, possibly facing John Cena, or someone who is ready to lose.

But will the time ever happen when Undertaker gets a "1" in the loss column? I sure hope so. What happens when he retires and he is 18-0, 19-0, or so on? Well hes going to be remembered as one of the most dominant wrestlers of all time. But will the streak really be remembered? No. Instead, it should be used to create an incredible win, sooner rather than later. Undertaker still had incredible momentum, and with a loss, John Cena, CM Punk, or Randy Orton can be shot up the charts at incredible rates. The man who beat The Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

So what do you think? Should The Undertaker ever lose at Wrestlemania?

In my opinion, NO WAY!! Especially now, there is nobody bigger than The Undertaker in wrestling at the minute, besides maybe HBK but he beat him last year, there isn't anyone worthy of ending the streak. Also, I think it will be a waste of time building this whole undefeated streak to just shatter it right before Taker retires. I would be shocked if he ever lost at 'Mania and more so I'd be devastated, just leave it as an undefeated streak and it will go down as one of the greatest records that any wrestler has ever held.

You have to think of it this way though. The WWE has had a 20 year investment in The Undertaker. For him to retire with it goes against the golden Rule of the WWE. Undertaker needs to put someone over to give them a huge amount of moment, all of the momentum the WWE has given him.

There ar ea few people who deserve it, and Shawn was not one of them. John Cena is the most obvious person to get it. John Cena is the present and future of the company, and a win over The Undertaker boosts his stock.

i don't think it should end at this point, because there's nobody "worthy" enough to end the streak except maybe kane and HBK but THAT'S IT!

orton: *yawn*
punk: yeah right
HHH: oh so HHH can have ANOTHER feather in his cap.
Ted Jr: see orton
HBK: it should've been last year (i don't want a rematch, there first match was TOO good)
cena: better that the rest
Kane: the ONLY guy i'll be "happy" with ending the streak

i have a BAD feeling that it's gonna be Cena (ie: hogan and andre from WM 3, passing of the torch so to speak)

but can cena really get "more over" I dont think he needs the rub of ending the streak.. he has already reached the top, and is the face of the company. What changes if he ends the streak, sure he can be called the one who ended the streak, but will he become a bigger star, I dont think so because he is already the biggest star in the WWE right now. If he loses to the undertaker it wont hurt his image either, he will just be added to the list of wrestlers who lost to taker. If anybody is going to end the streak it should be somebody who is in a position like CM Punk, had main event experience, but needs something big to put them over as a truly believable long term main event player. This is not me saying that he should be the one to do it, but I feel like he would benefit from it much more than John Cena.

JJ "the Devil's Advocate";1559631 said:
i don't think it should end at this point, because there's nobody "worthy" enough to end the streak except maybe kane and HBK but THAT'S IT!

orton: *yawn*
punk: yeah right
HHH: oh so HHH can have ANOTHER feather in his cap.
Ted Jr: see orton
HBK: it should've been last year (i don't want a rematch, there first match was TOO good)
cena: better that the rest
Kane: the ONLY guy i'll be "happy" with ending the streak

i have a BAD feeling that it's gonna be Cena (ie: hogan and andre from WM 3, passing of the torch so to speak)

Kane has no purpose facing Undertaker other than nostalgia. And he has no reason for beating The Undertaker at Wrestlemania. If John Cena were to beat The undertaker, all fans could see him as a dominating face of the company. This isn't some regular push device. This is potentially the most important single push ever in the WWE, and should be given to the man the WWE has to push as the greatest wrestler of all time.

I don't think they'll end the streak this year, But they could put over Cena as a HUGE heel...

Scenario:
Taker wins...after match goes for a handshake or something like that....Then Cena goes nuts all over him,Even some blood spill to really sell it.

Turning Cena heel is one of the few fresh things they could do with him,
because turning him back to face after going heel.....there's real redemption that they could sell!

You know, I'm torn on this one. I do believe in putting over younger talent as the business is cyclical and establishing stars is always key. In this case; however, I feel "The Streak" is in a league of it's own. In the case of Orton and Cena, they are already 4,5, whatever multiple time champion. They are already established and head and shoulders above everybody else. I'm all about putting over younger guys to build the future of the business. It's just that with such a list of people defeated (Snuka, Snake, Kane, Batista, Sid, Bundy, Flair, HHH, HBK, etc), personally, I just wouldn't be able to believe it that a Miz, Kofi, Swagger, Ziggler, Morrison, whoever can outshine something as established as The Streak. Kozlov beat the Undertaker fair and square on a Smackdown and look at him now. He's a Regal lackey on what WWE considers (but one of my favorite shows) 3rd rate, and that's ECW. The only ones that I could have considered to beat the streak would be a Rock or an Austin and right now, that would mean nothing. I may be wrong, but if any of the younger guys beat Taker at Mania, I wouldn't find it believable. Then again, I've been watching him for the last 20 years and have a biased opinion.

It would be a great way of putting somebody fresh over thats for sure. but i think that the streaks something that taker should take with him into retirement.hes already 17-0..why stop it, if they were going to stop it they should of ended it before the streak got that impressive. 17-1 just looks ugly i think this could be wwe's way of saying thanks for the many years of loyalty taker has had with the company. hes coming up on 20 years. a lose a mania could tarnish his legacy depending on just who he loses to.

But i do fear it will happen. just think taker loses his match at mania gives that superstar a mega rub and then we never see taker again. and then that superstar has the rest of his career to gloat about ending undertakers impressive streak.Thats how they could send him off. I dont like it but it is a possibility. who knows i say a perfect 20-0 streak would be nice if he could continue that long. If he gets a reduced schedule and say only comes back around mania time. ...its wrestlemania time..whos going to challenge the deadman and take a shot at bringing down the streak?

I dont know guess we'll just have to wait and see.i hope not though.

I don't think the streak needs to end just to put younger, newer talent over. There are another 364 days a year that Undertaker can put over young guys, building them up as he works his way towards a well deserved, and hopefully an enjoyable retirement. Here's my problem with this...you almost have to have a face beat him. If a heel did it, I don't think you could ever manage to turn him face in the future...and this business does require people to be able to play both sides of the coin, especially at the top of the card. So, if it has to be a face...HBK is the only man, in my opinion, that could have done it and NOT been immediately turned into a heel. If anyone else pulled it off, they would quickly become the most hated guy in wrestling. And I say this next bit to everyone who says that 'Taker should end the streak...no matter who he drops it to, you will NOT be happy with the decision. If this claim needs backup, see the case of the IWC Bitching about the ME on RAW, and now Bitching about Sheamus getting the push.

I think you leave the streak alone. Once he retires, that's gonna be the first line of statistics. 18, 19, or 20 and 0 at WrestleMania. Then they'll talk about Championship reigns and whatnot. As the old saying goes...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. No one is tired of 'Taker going over at 'Mania because we all respect him too much. Let the streak be. It hasn't hurt anyone, even the people that have lost since something was made of the streak. Just the opportunity to face 'Taker at 'Mania is big enough. No one needs the W too.

What does killing the streak do for somebody?

If you think about it, the streak is better intact than it would ever be if it were broken. It adds a mystique to the Undertaker's character and solidifies his legacy as one of the all-time greats. If the streak gets ended, that mystique dies. Undertaker's legacy is somewhat diminished because the streak has become a part of the aura of that character.

The person who ends Undertaker's winning streak at WrestleMania won't benefit long from the victory. It won't be the "ALL MY GOD! HE ENDED THE STREAK!" feeling all year long. What happens to people who end streaks? What good did ending a streak really do anyone if you think about it? Tatanka's first loss came at the hands of Ludwig Borga. Yeah, that guy lasted for a few more months. Really boosted his net worth. Goldberg lost his first match to Kevin Nash, a book, a pencil, and a taser. What happened? The fingerpoke of doom later and Kevin Nash beat who for that title?

Let's be honest. STREAKS MAKE MONEY! Especially good ones. Taker's win streak is a commodity to WWE. But when streaks end, that commodity dies... and any notoriety that comes along with ending that commodity also dies. But if WWE decides to go ahead and kill it whether at this year's WrestleMania or another one, they gotta do it right. It has the potential to be the clusterbomb that sends WWE into a downward spiral if it is done wrong.

But why take the chance? Taker's only got a year or two left at best. Let the streak live and have Taker put over someone at a later PPV. Survivor Series should be the event where Taker's career ends. It would be only fitting. He entered at that event, he should take the curtain call at that event.

I don't think the streak needs to end just to put younger, newer talent over. There are another 364 days a year that Undertaker can put over young guys, building them up as he works his way towards a well deserved, and hopefully an enjoyable retirement. Here's my problem with this...you almost have to have a face beat him. If a heel did it, I don't think you could ever manage to turn him face in the future...and this business does require people to be able to play both sides of the coin, especially at the top of the card. So, if it has to be a face...HBK is the only man, in my opinion, that could have done it and NOT been immediately turned into a heel. If anyone else pulled it off, they would quickly become the most hated guy in wrestling. And I say this next bit to everyone who says that 'Taker should end the streak...no matter who he drops it to, you will NOT be happy with the decision. If this claim needs backup, see the case of the IWC Bitching about the ME on RAW, and now Bitching about Sheamus getting the push.

I think you leave the streak alone. Once he retires, that's gonna be the first line of statistics. 18, 19, or 20 and 0 at WrestleMania. Then they'll talk about Championship reigns and whatnot. As the old saying goes...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. No one is tired of 'Taker going over at 'Mania because we all respect him too much. Let the streak be. It hasn't hurt anyone, even the people that have lost since something was made of the streak. Just the opportunity to face 'Taker at 'Mania is big enough. No one needs the W too.

I really dig this statement and I concure quite a bit here...Shawn Michaels is the one that I am really pulling for to become WWE champion before he retires, so since I would like to see that, I would say that if WWE Creative team was planning on ending the streak of the Undertaker, unfortunately, then give it to Shawn Michaels at WRESTLEMANIA!:), What a spectacular finish it would be...but whatever they do, please do NOT do some crazy thing like put over SHEAMUS, or someone like that to beat the undertaker; I mean come'on?? I'm not taking anything away from them, but they really should put the Undertaker in a fare-well with High Standings...NOW'S HERE'S A COOL THOUGHT....

I know this is a stretch, but what about if BRET THE HITMAN HART, came back and then BEAT THE UNDERTAKER AT WRESTLEMANIA....now wouldn't that be something! And by the way, HHH beating the undertaker would not be a bad idea and to be honest, can you imagine KOFI doing it? I AM FOR THAT IDEA; talk about escalating! wow!....but none-the-less, please DO NOT END THE UNDERTAKERS STREAK...Has there been any other wrestler in History to have STUCK with the WWE / WWF for as long as the Undertaker has in wrestling (Jesus' Grace, Mercies and Favor keeping him) :) I mean, really, I think everyone knows the answer hear, don't end the streak :)

Not yet

I hope not Cena. Make it like Jericho or Kane.

If he loses to Kane it can be for the World title Kane retires cause it was the most dearest thing to his bro. He would retire and Taker cant stand regular competiton and retire.

If he loses to Jericho it would be the most best thing that ever happened

In all honesty, I'm really torn on this one. On one hand, I would love to see The Undertaker seriously put over some new, young talent (Cena is not included in that category at this point), but on the other hand, I believe The Undertaker has earned enough respect to hold onto the record into retirement.

My gut instinct tells me that 'Taker is nearing the final part of his pro wrestling journey. That as much as the incredibly depleted pool of potential championship contenders is why WWE is keeping the belt on him for so long right now, I feel. Instead of putting it on someone within Smackdown's younger talent, the company is allowing him to finally get that one, dominant reign under his belt before he says good-bye.

However, the longer Undertaker holds the gold, the more probable it also seems that his WM streak might come to an end. Should he actually go into WrestleMania next year as champion, the likelihood seems pretty high that his opponent will walk out with not only the belt but also as the man who ended UT's streak. Winning the World Heavyweight title on that stage, and in such an historic fashion, would massively cement whomever he faces as the top of the game today.

Having 'Taker put over an up-and-coming performer in that way does far more than simply breaking the streak without the title on the line. It makes the stakes feel colossally high, puts tremendous pressure on the challenger and gives months of incredible promo opportunities to follow. Meanwhile, it would also allow the feud to continue through SummerSlam, where Undertaker debuted, and give the Dead Man one last chance to redeem himself before slipping off into the night.

Of course, this all fore-goes the obvious fact that Undertaker probably still has a few years of decent in-ring action left in him. He looks as strong as ever and continues to be a massive draw. I don't think he or WWE are ready for him -- or his streak -- to call it quits just yet.

He should lose his last Wrestlemania match to someone who is not already destined for the hall of fame. No Hunter, no Michaels, no Cena, no Orton. Ending the streak is something that could propel someone else to that level. The first name that springs to mind is CM Punk, or it would if he had gotten a clean win at Breaking Point.

Is any other young star credible enough to put in with the Undertaker at Wrestlemania? Maybe in a year and a half Morrison or Kofi or Miz or someone will be ready, but not now. If Jeff Hardy comes back, people would love a Hardy-Undertaker match, but does Jeff need the rub? Probably not.

So what do you think? Should The Undertaker ever lose at Wrestlemania?

I've wanted to answer this thread for a while but I had to take a couple of days to figure out a final answer since I was so divided on it. On one hand if someone does defeat the undefeated streak, then that would give them one of the biggest pushes imaginable.... but as some have pointed out, that will eventually die down and what is that wrestler going to do to stay over after that? Brag EVERY DAY about how he ended the streak? All that could ever accomplish is a heel turn. This guy would have to figure something else out by then, and if he can't then ending the streak would have been for nothing.

I used to think that someone should end it one day, but I've decided that I was wrong and it should never end. How awesome would it be if Undertaker makes it long enough to be 20 and 0? Then he could retire right afterwards and leave behind the ULTIMATE legacy, making him the greatest legend of all. He might not make it to 20 and 0, of course.... but if he stays undefeated at Wrestlemania until he retires.... it would be a great way to reward one of the WWE's all time best. Few deserve an honor like that more than Undertaker and I think he should remain undefeated at Wrestlemania forever because of that.

I don't think it should be.

Personally, I think that the only think that makes the Undertaker the legend that he undoubtedly is, is his streak at Wrestlemania. Well actually, that is not altogether true He is a fantastic athlete and a great personality to have in the WWE. He has remained relevant throughout his huge wrestling career and continues to be one of the biggest names in the WWE today, if not ever. However, the streak is the thing that makes the Undertaker who he is. It is the reason that I watched Wrestlemania this year and I am so happy that I made the choice to watch it. The Undertaker looked to be in trouble for a lot of the match and Shawn Michaels is a person that I thought could take the streak away from him. At times in that match, I really did think that the Undertaker was going to lose and I felt goosebumps running up and down my arms.

You see, that is the magic of the streak. Everyone knows what a massive achievement it is to have a streak like that. People don't want to ruin that magic by having someone go over him at Wrestlemania, at least I don't. No! I think the streak should remain intact until someone who really is a fantastic competitor takes it from him with their own merit. Will that happen soon? Probably not. Will it happen at all? Probably not. I am happy with that though.

I don’t think the Undertaker’s Streak should ever end. Unless RVD decides to come back and continue on with his undefeated WrestleMania run, I think we, as fans, deserve a story of someone being as Legendary on the “Grandest Stage Of Them All”.

As a matter of fact, I think this year they should change it up a bit. On another thread, I posted a Dream WrestleMania card that has an 8 – Man, 3 Round Tournament with Taker taking it. Imagine Taker winning 3 straight matches at Mania making him 20-0 in one night. My other idea would be putting Taker in a Triple Threat or Fatal Four Way. He’s had handicap matches, he’s had a WM rematch, and I don’t even have to tell you about the multiple Singles matches he’s been in. We need something new, something fresh. A Triple Threat match would be good, but defeating 3 Superstars in one night, via Fatal Four Way or the Tournament would be better.

This question has been raised a lot over the last few years. When Undertaker's streak was 1 win to about 12, it was never really that big a deal. It was around Wrestlemania 21, when Taker was facing Orton that people thought that the streak being ended would be a really great rub for a young guy. And people actually wanted Orton to go over to help him out.

Now, the streak is a pretty big draw. But usually it's obvious when the streak isn't going to end. The streak was never going to end against HBK or Edge. But when Taker is facing a younger star or a star still in his prime, people go crazy thinking it'll be the end of the streak.

But, quite simply, yes. The streak should be ended. The streak is a moderate draw for Wrestlemania, but when Undertaker is gone, the streak will be gone. Wrestlemania loses it's main draw without ever taking advantage of it. Taker's streak is a draw now, but if the streak ends in Taker's last Wrestlemania, then it keeps being a draw because the person who ended it will be a draw. Make sense?

Plus, it's a quick and easy way to make a young guy into a star. But the first reason I gave is the main one why the streak shouldn't be ended.

Reactions: gd
Umm yeah I'd like to see some one end 'Taker's streak. Just not Cena. I know he's probably the only one who'd stand a chance at the moment, but you know what, Cena is big enough already, he by no means "NEED'S" to win end the streak. I have no idea who I'd like to see end the streak other than Chris Jericho or John Morrison. Chris Jericho well because, I'm a big Y2J mark, and it's always fun to watch Y2J brag. And John Morrison because this is the one thing that could sky rocket Morrison through the glass ceiling and ensure him a spot in the future as a main eventer in the WWE. That is all, thanks for reading.

I love how some people come on here and say they want someone new to end the streak. Yet say Jericho should end it... There have been two I believe that have that.

Simply, it should end. Blade made a great point with is post. The steak is only great while 'Taker is there. What hype is there going to be for Mania about the streak if 'Taker is gone? None. Someone should end it. Yes it's great for the time being, but it should end.

Personally I don't think that 'Taker's streak should be ended by a up and comer. While it could be a great push for them. It doesn't cement them as a great star. I think it should be someone out of the main event crop right now.

I believe it should be Cena. Yes many don't believe that it should be, but let me explain. Cena is the biggest star that WWE has and is the face of the company and many believe that he is big enough already so he doesn't need to beat 'Taker. I disagree. While Cena is the biggest star they have now. He is not looked in the same light as the legends of the business. Each of them had their own moment that shot them to the next level. Hogan, Slamming Andre, and then the NWO. Austin KOTR. Mania. Rock his heel turn. And his matches with Foley and Austin that made him. Cena has yet to have that defining moment in his carrier. This could easily be that moment. Coco has the best idea I've heard as to how it should go down, just go read his post in the Cena thread.

As I said I think it should end, and I believe that Cena should be the one to do so. He's the only star at the moment that is big enough, and has the credibility to do so.

The steak is only great while 'Taker is there. What hype is there going to be for Mania about the streak if 'Taker is gone? None. Someone should end it. Yes it's great for the time being, but it should end.

Well obviously, why would they hype the streak when 'Taker isn't there? That would be like them hyping Hogan when he isn't gonna be there. His streak would go down in history if he were to remain undefeated and what a statistic to have. I would hate to see his streak end now after building it for so long.

As for Cena ending the streak, no way. Yes he's the biggest star in the company now, but is he bigger than some of the stars that 'Taker has already beat at Mania? The likes of Flair, Jake the Snake, HBK? No he isn't.

Just keep him undefeated at 'Mania, otherwise his streak will become a waste of time.

Should the streak be ended? Yes. UT's wrestlemania streak should be treated like any other accolade and thus should be taken before he retires. It would be worthless if he kept it because him retiring with the streak would mean nobody gets anything out of it. It's like retiring as WHC of a fixed sport, which you've held for years. Yeah, you look invincible but who else benifits from it? UT should retire at Wrestlemania on his back, giving one hell of a rub to the future of the company. whether that's Cena, Kofi, Morrison, Punk, Sheamus, McIntyre or somebody else on the cusp of greatness.

Breaking the streak would be enough to catapault somone into the main event. After that, it's up to them (and the writers) not to fuck it up.

You know what i think would be wicked... i have alays thought about this.. the undertaker has been set on fire in a casket twice buried alive twice god knows what else only to return like an immortal would.. i always thought if taker was beaten at mania thats how he ould finally be gone forever, since it has never happened and we never seen it i think it would be a cool way for him to retire, he can leave just as mysteriously as he entered, the only way to stop taker was to pin him at wrestlemania just a cool thought.. since hbk challenged him again this year at mania i dunno what could happen, i think it ill be sketchy for takers streak this year if this happens again, i think we gt a glimpse of the streak ending last year after the second sweet chin everyone thought it was done and for a split second before he kicked out everyone was like thinkin ok this is gunna be weird hbk ended it, so maybe that was a tactic they used last year i their match perhaps? wwe trying to get a glimpse on how it would work, like ya ever know everyone was behind hbk just as taker they went crazy when he kiced out al those times especialy the tombstone that was a cmplete shock....
your thoughts........

I don't want the streak to end quite honestly. The fact that the whole thing with The Streak happened kind of by accident is part of its appeal. It wasn't something that was planned in a booking office or really just thought up on a whim. It just sort of happened and I think that a lot of people like it. It gives it an almost realistic quality in some ways. Not that he keeps winning, but that this interesting angle just suddenly fell into the WWE's lap. It was really around 5 or 6 years ago that the WWE even began drawing any real attention to the streak and once they did, it just went from there.

The seed has been planted early for Taker/HBK II for WM 26. I think the best thing to do is to let it simmer, not have Taker respond or anything and then have HBK cause him to lose the WHC at the Royal Rumble. Then, just start making the feud extremely personal. These are two prideful men and the whole thing about ending Taker's streak for HBK's character revolves around pride. In Kayfabe terms, HBK can't stand the idea of there being someone that's gotten connected to his legacy that he doesn't have. Both men are multiple time world champs and tag champs, both men have won the Royal Rumble, both men have headlined WM. But, Taker has never lost at WM and HBK has. The WWE considers WM to be the biggest of the big and Taker is someone that, for the past several years, has really become a major part of that whole WM identity in a way that HBK hasn't. It's a feud that can pretty much write itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back