Should the PPV Kickoff match be used for NXT

ASKane

Championship Contender
I think the Kickoff match can be a very good match with a good build and when they do it well they can produce a match like The Shield vs Uso's at the MITB kickoff which is in my shortlist for match of the year. However recently it has been used for matches with next to no build like Sandow vs Ziggler or Miz vs Kingston so why not used the Kickoff show to let NXT superstars have a chance to perform to a larger audience, it can help test gimmicks and let superstars be exposed to more people. I think it can be used for a title defence or a Survivor Series match at SS.

I am going to add an addition question. What would you prefer Miz vs Kofi or an NXT superstar traditional Survivor Series match.

Your thoughts

I think that using NXT stars would be a great idea. It familiarises the NXT wrestlers with performing for large crowds, while also exposing those who don't watch NXT to the general public. WWE could also garner interest in the NXT stars. I remember reading a while back that WWE was looking at putting NXT on TV, and this could be a great way to attract viewers to the show.

I would prefer to see a traditional 5 on 5 match at Survivor Series with NXT stars over Miz vs. Kofi, which we have seen countless times before.

It's a gamble. Not a lot of people watch NXT. Plus, it leaves no room for main roster debuts like that of the Wyatts' or the Shield's. Imagine what would happen if Rollins, Ambrose and Wyatt had already worked PPV pre-show matches. Their debuts would not be half as good. But if you are planning to bring in a superstar to the main roster like how Big E. was brought, it makes sense to have NXT feuds as pre-shows.

No. If the NXT wrestlers were ready enough to wrestle on PPV, they would already be wrestling on RAW and SmackDown.

I think it would be better if the PPV Kickoff were used for the lower midcard stars on the main roster.

I don't see any harm in it. In fact, generally speaking, it might be a more constructive use of the kickoff show. Even though the matches are sometimes quite good, they don't really accomplish much besides momentary entertainment in what ultimately amounts to throwaway bouts. Having the pre-show feature matches between NXT talent could be a means of introducing some of the top NXT talent to the fans.

Having NXT wrestlers showcase their talents in this way could also give WWE officials ideas on whether or not someone is ready to be brought to the main roster. If not, then at least it could give the WWE brass an idea as to how far they've progressed while part of NXT. After each match, maybe they could do an audience poll through WWE.com, the WWE App or both to gauge what viewers thought of the wrestlers based on first impressions. Maybe using the kickoff show to showcase NXT talent could spark some interest on the part of NBC Universal to put NXT on one of its subsidiaries.

I think it would be a great idea. Let the Nxt champ defend as the curtain raiser to WWE ppvs. Could be great. Chances are the crowed would be dead. However this could be their shot at gaining attention.

It depends. I quite like keeping the NXT roster completely separate until their full debut. It would work for fairly generic wrestlers but guys like Bray Wyatt or even Seth Rollins could have never been used.

Also, if you don't watch NXT is Bo Dallas vs Sami Zayn really excite you. Some people will be excited to see guys who may well be the future of the company but for the majority, it is two people they have never heard of. At least with The Miz, Ziggler, Kofi etc. there is a greater appeal to see them. Also, in theory at least, it should be of a higher quality and can progress feuds without taking time from the actual PPV.

I wouldn't hate the idea of having NXT on the pre-show but there is a lot of talent on the roster that has to be utilised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back