Should Roman Reigns be the next Paul Heyman Guy

ASKane

Championship Contender
While I haven't hugely missed Paul Heyman recently whenever he is on TV he improves the show and with Lesnar unlikely to wrestle between WM30 and probably Summerslam I think its time for WWE to make a Paul Heyman guy out of a young talent and I think there is no better choice than Roman Reigns. If you look at what Brock Lesnar had when he debuted he was a physical monster with good in ring talent and absolutely no skills on the mic, Reigns may not be a monster he is still big and has good in ring talent that is improving and some skills on the mic so I think this only requirement is someone to do his mic work for him and there is no one in the business better than Heyman. Unlike Ryback and Axel Roman Reigns is already over and already has fans and would not be using Heyman to get him over. I know that a face turn is likely but I would like to see a twist where Ambrose and Reigns' infighting is just an act and they turn on Rollins letting him be the new Jeff Hardy, let Ambrose stay heel with a psychotic gimmick and let Reigns be a Heyman guys. I think that is the way to get the best out of each guy

Thoughts

No. That would be a mistake. Putting anybody with Paul Heyman doesn't instantly make them a big star. Ryback and Curtis Axel are proof of that.
From what I have seen so far from his promos, Reigns has decent mic-skills.
(One of his promos :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv06k8_roman-reign-s-interview_sport)

WWE should give Roman Reigns the Batista push. Split him from the Shield, let him win the Rumble next year then beat a top guy like Cena or Orton etc for the title at Wrestlemania to solidify him as the next top guy.

Yeah not happening.

Roman Reigns will win the US title at wrestlemania.

It's inevitable but necessary if WWE really want reigns to become their next top star.

No. That would be a mistake. Putting anybody with Paul Heyman doesn't instantly make them a big star. Ryback and Curtis Axel are proof of that.
(One of his promos :

WWE should give Roman Reigns the Batista push. Split him from the Shield, let him win the Rumble next year then beat a top guy like Cena or Orton etc for the title at Wrestlemania to solidify him as the next top guy.

I'd like to see Roman Reigns beat The Rock before.

Kind of like Austin vs Bret match at WM13. A match that would make him a superstar then the next year, the match that'll make him the top star.

It took Cena 10+ years as the top guy as well as a clean loss to The Rock to get his win over The Rock. Reigns should get his win over The Rock with a sum net total of ZERO experience?

This is a road that Roman needs to take. Maybe not exactly this but similiar. He needs to build and develop on his own merits and skill not riding someone else's coat tails.

Only Brock and Punk worked as "Heyman Guys" IMO anyway. Axel didnt, Ryback didn't.

Here's what I see. Roman breaks from sheild. Quick fued with Ambrose. Then move on to bigger and better. Key wins (clean wins) over some top guys will bring him to that next level and will make him a believable top guy.

WWE has a real shot to develop that next generation of top talent to take the"reigns" rom guys like Orton and Cena, IF WWE doesn't screw it up.

Cena
Orton
Daniel Bryan
Sheamus

Big E
Roman Reigns
Cesaro
Wyatt

Theres a real opportunity here to make the main event picture diverse and not as stale as it's been. Having 8-10 guys in upper mid-card to main event level that can interchange at will and make it believable would be nice.

It took Cena 10+ years as the top guy as well as a clean loss to The Rock to get his win over The Rock. Reigns should get his win over The Rock with a sum net total of ZERO experience?

I do agree with you, but that was "prime Rock", who is now getting older and can commit less time due to his movie career. It would be like saying Reigns shouldn't beat Ric Flair with zero experience (hyperbole I know), he's still a younger hungry top attraction so logically he could. Given Rock and Reigns are family I'm sure Rocky would throw Reigns a favour at some point and let him go over, but would going over The Rock make Reigns the babyface that Vince wants, or would it make him a heel?

I think Reigns is going to need somebody like Paul Heyman when he branches out on his own. I don't buy the idea that Reigns is WWE's next babyface sensation. Fans will turn on him pretty quickly in my opinion. He still seems limited in every department. I like the guy, but that has as much to do with how dreamy he is than anything he's shown me as a performer.

Make him a heel and pair him with Heyman

I think Reigns is going to need somebody like Paul Heyman when he branches out on his own. I don't buy the idea that Reigns is WWE's next babyface sensation. Fans will turn on him pretty quickly in my opinion. He still seems limited in every department. I like the guy, but that has as much to do with how dreamy he is than anything he's shown me as a performer.

Make him a heel and pair him with Heyman

I know I've answered earlier in this thread but there's not much point in discussing heel and faces at this stage of his career. You could quite easily bring him out as a heel with Heyman, have him lose a loser leaves WWE match to Bryan, then have him run to the ring unannounced and help Bryan out when he gets jumped by whatever faction is around at that time turning him into a face and getting a great pop. You can do anything with him, its the world of pro wrestling.

But is he right for Heyman? I say no. Paul Heyman AND his client (be it Punk, Lesnar, Taker, Austin) make the moment. Paul Heyman doesnt make his client AND the moment (a la Rybaxel). We've been too exposed to Reigns now for the shock and awe of him being a Heyman guy to work without him being a face for a decent time first. It worked for Punk because they have a legitimate background and Heyman was off our screens for quite a while, and Lesnar came in with Heyman so the shock and awe was there.

You can't simply take something good out of pro wrestling (which Paul E is, and Reigns himself respectfully) and apply it to any other piece of pro wrestling and be successful. I don't think Reigns needs any manager, he just needs to work on his mic skills, and I think in-ring his performances are good.

I don't buy the idea that Reigns is WWE's next babyface sensation

Agreed. We know the Shield is close to the inevitable break-up and it's occurring at the exact time the group is squaring off against a team that's far more "heel" than they are: the Wyatts. You know darn well whom the fans are going to be cheering.....and this might lend itself to Reigns starting off his singles career as a babyface, even though it's kind of hard to see him as one.

However, if they immediately place him with Paul Heyman, no one is gonna mistake Roman for a good guy, are they? Heyman might be the key to Roman's next move.

Have to admit, though, in the Shield/Wyatt face-off last night on Raw, I absolutely loved Reigns challenging: "Why don't you come out here and talk that noise?"

The closed-captioning on my TV responded with: (crowd cheers wildly) and that made me truly wonder what Roman Reigns will be when the split comes.

(One of his promos :

I'm sorry, this is incorrect. Paul Heyman 2013/2014 is not involved in creative. And to compare 2002's version of Paul Heyman where he was right out of ECW and involved behind the scenes in WWE to this version are unfair.

Give Paul Heyman some creative control and you might see far more under utilized talent see their real potential. If and only when this happens it will be fair to judge as such.

Reigns does not need Paul Heyman and it would likely have a negative impact aligning him with Heyman.

Reigns needs a slow build with constant and definitive wins... clean wins. Give him a mid card belt but also have him work with main eventers along the way. Maybe have him win MITB next year, after he's had a solid mid card title run with MANY defenses and wins... make him look unstoppable.

Have him fight for the WWE WHC against a heel and ultimately have him win the title from that person.

Hot shotting him to the top is not what he needs to be a long term player in the main event scene... just my opinion on it all.

i just hope Reigns doesn't become Super Reigns with a rinse-repeat 5 or less move sequence.

Keep him as a Face/Tweener Bad Ass type, who moves like Taker did for all these years, being the last Face/Tweener type any Major Heel has to go through. That way he won't have to cut long promos and become a pro on the mic. He just doesn't seem like that type... From what I see, with Roman Reigns,"Actions will speak Louder than Words" , lMO.

Reigns is not beating The Rock. The Rock will be old and disinterested before the WWE does him that disservice.

I would like to see the Heyman wrestlers back as a loose stable.

I think for the WWE to push Reigns he will have to make a face turn versus a heel. Putting him in the Heyman family would not serve this purpose.

With that said, Reigns could feud with Lesnar, and that may pan out.

I see Reigns breaking away from The Shield after the Wyatt feud first though.

You don't need to be a Paul Heyman guy to be successful and I think that is where people have missed the boat on wrestlers lately, Ryback was on his way to being one of the top stars in the company they turned him heel and paired him with Heyman and it got him nowhere, Curtis Axel had a good rub from Heyman, but they didn't do anything with him and his character suffered as well. Personally I look at a Paul Heyman guy recently like the Heenan family of the 80's some guys were thrown in there just as to help get them over, some worked some didn't Terry Taylor didn't fit, and he was gone, some guys aren't a fit.

Roman Reigns can make a star out of himself so making him a Heyman guy doesn't give him a rub. there are guys who can benefit but unless they have something to back it up with its going to be like Bobby Heenan managing jobbers and promoting his top tier talent...

Maybe in the future. Right now it looks like they want to turn Reigns face. He is getting decent reactions and when he splits up from The Shield it is inevitable he will receive a push.

In the long term, I'm not sure how far he can go. It is pretty hard to predict. We have only seen him as a heel and maybe he doesn't suit being a babyface. If it doesn't work out - and he returns to being a heel - then I'd love a partnership with Heyman. Granted, it might not work but it has potential. Heyman is so brilliant on the mic and Reigns brings everything else. It has the potential to be a great combination. Of course the issue is that it is very similar to him managing Lesnar but we can overcome that.

I want Reigns to get his chance as a face. If that doesn't work then pairing him with Heyman might work. That or Dutch Mantell depending on what he is doing.

Roman Reigns can make a star out of himself so making him a Heyman guy doesn't give him a rub. there are guys who can benefit but unless they have something to back it up with its going to be like Bobby Heenan managing jobbers and promoting his top tier talent...

I am not saying he cant I am just saying pairing him with Heyman will make him a bigger star than what he can do by himself aslong as WWE book him as a shit kicking bad ass he will be success but I think if they turn him face he will get lost in the shuffle or turn into something like Sheamus with 1-800 fella where he becomes a comedy act. He needs to be a trash talking ass kicking bad ass like Austin was. I think a run with Heyman would be great for his career as someone to learn from and I think it would help as his one weakness is mic skills and Heyman is 2nd in the company to Wyatt

Since Reigns is clearly already the breakout star of The Shield and is going to be a babyface, I say he doesn't need Heyman whatsoever. He's already gotten over with the fans on his own. If anything, I see the exact opposite with him facing the Heyman guy Brock Lesnar at either SummerSlam or WM31. At some point, they may even acknowledge the fact that he's cousins with The Rock, possibly even put The Rock in his corner at a big match, to get him even more of a fan reaction.

Reigns dosen't need a heel manager like Heyman because he could surely be a very good face, maybe even having a face manager like Booker T or The Rock, if he retires in a neer future.

Not at all. Roman Reigns doesn't need Paul Heyman at all. He has a cool badass persona which fans are buying into and is great to watch, and the spear-outta-nowhere character is an opposite of the my-name-is-Paul-Heyman-and-this-is-my-client character.
Save Paul Heyman for someone that really needs him... although his stint with Curtis Axel and Ryback proved that he is just a man and not a magician.

NO to Heyman with Reigns. Reigns is good enough on the mic to get himself over. It will not help having Heyman hog all the mic time.
Reigns is not beating The Rock. The Rock will be old and disinterested before the WWE does him that disservice.

I think for the WWE to push Reigns he will have to make a face turn versus a heel. Putting him in the Heyman family would not serve this purpose.

Disservice? The Rock and Reigns are family and The Rock would have no problem what so ever putting him over to further his career.

If you stick Paul Heyman with everybody, it will start to not mean much. Plus, Reigns is already over and he doesn't need Paul Heyman, it will only complicate things.

In my opinion, Roman Reigns' post-Shield gimmick should take elements from Goldberg, Razor Ramon and The Rock. Make him a tweener who is undiscriminating in who he beats up, whether it's heel or face.

His gimmick should take from Goldberg in that he rarely loses (maybe even have him go on an outright streak) so when he goes against guys like Lesnar, Cena, Rock, Taker, there is a legitimate possibility of him winning.

He has the cool guy/bad guy appeal that Razor Ramon had. When he speaks, always have him saying something slick or cool with a death stare. Make him seem like he will legitimately beat your ass. Maybe even have him keep the Shield bulletproof vest with his new ring attire.

And as far as borrowing from The Rock, the same way the Rock could say the funniest shit while still keeping the straight face and eyebrow, have Roman Reigns do that, except amped up. Have him call Randy Orton an oiled up pussy, with a death stare, no smirks or smiles. Have him call Cena a Fruity Pebbles bitch, with a death stare, no smirks or smiles. Etc. Etc.

It would keep him a cool guy who looks like he could legit fuck you up, without turning into the generic face that caused fans to turn on Cena and Batista.

Don't be so sure... if Dwayne is coming back ever and he can put his own kin over doing so he will do it in a heartbeat. Remember how he did the "shrivelled up monkey penis" promo when Umaga was headlining Mania? Sure it was a "joke at his expense" but was a big, big help to his cousin in getting people buying him in the spot. That the Rock would use his one promo for that showed Umaga was important.

Reigns and Heyman...no - not needed, Titus and Heyman I can see.. but Reigns has more than enough in the tank at this stage to be allowed to try on his own... He has the hook up as mentioned above, I am sure on some off time Dwayne will give him some help/pointers and probably has been all the way along. Titus is funny, Heyman is funny so the pairing could work.

I still don't get this total fascination with Reigns and his apparent lack of mic skills and personality/acting abilities. Call me a Reigns mark, but I think he's actually pretty underrated on the mic, and acting too. I find he's actually one of the more expressive wrestlers inside the ring with his demeanor and his facial expressions. He has that 'game face' when he's about to hit someone with the Superman punch, or the spear. Check the NXT interview/promo he had that was posted by ProWrestlingFan. He seemed pretty comfortable there. I've not exactly heard him stumbling over words since he moved to the main roster.

I like the cool, calm exterior he shows outside the ring. It makes him more of a badass than it would if he was punching walls and constantly shouting all the time while a Heyman type tries to control him. Oh and lets face it, the women love it. When he called Renee babygirl, female WWE fans just blew Twitter up!

There are other wrestlers who need far more help on the mic and with cutting promos over Roman Reigns. He'll be fine. Reigns mark over and out. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back