• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should MMA be an Olympic sport?

The Talon

Occasional Pre-Show
With the Olympics starting in a few hours, I wanted to ask MMA fans & Olympic fans alike this question. Rio de Janero, Brazil will be hosting the 2016 summer olympics, & MMA is hotbed in Brazil. The Olympics currently has Greco-Roman wrestling & boxing as sports, so I think MMA should at least be considered for the Olympics? What do you think?

Apart from when the very best are fighting MMA tends to be quite boring. Two men hugging eachother for a few minutes would not be an entertaining olympic event. However if we simly want to see people get hurt for their Gold medal I think Olympic Wipeout would be great!

I'd like to see it but I doubt it will happen. At this point it isn't popular enough nor does it have the long standing traditions that some of the other sports have. One of the biggest hurdles it will need to overcome is for people to stop calling it barbaric, which still happens.

Plus its violent and you would have to deal with injuries and things. How often did they have one night tournaments in the early UFC and Pride days where a guy had to drop out due to injury? Not to mention a lot of top guys probably won't go for it, since you don't get paid to compete and unless you are at the level that a Brock or Chuck was or a GSP currently is you aren't extremely well off

It's an intriguing idea and Brazil would be the place to do it but no, as much as I'd love the exposure for the sport I don't think it belongs there. If they want to have BJJ I think that would be brilliant and I'd be all for it but lets leave MMA out of the Olympics.

I have to say no, Greco-Roman Wrestling and Boxing have been a part of the Olympics because the rules are universal in every country. I am not that huge of a fan of MMA, but from what I have seen, companies like UFC, Pride, and Strikeforce all have different kind of rules. I don't see a place in MMA in the Olympics right now.

No. It's not one sport, it's an amalgamation of multiple sports, many of which are already in the Olympics.

Nope, the average match has the skill level of a bumfight. The day it's included is the day I stop watching the olympics.

No, although its a good idea but I've watched UFC on a few ocassions and its always boring. Like someones already mentioned, the UFC is mainly 2 guys holding each other for 3-4 minutes, doing nothing whilst standing and throwing a few punches. IMO, it's not that good to watch.

Nope, the average match has the skill level of a bumfight. The day it's included is the day I stop watching the olympics.

You're an idiot.

No, although its a good idea but I've watched UFC on a few ocassions and its always boring. Like someones already mentioned, the UFC is mainly 2 guys holding each other for 3-4 minutes, doing nothing whilst standing and throwing a few punches. IMO, it's not that good to watch.

And so are you.

Most Olympic sports are 'boring'. That's why the "world class' version of their competition lacks attention. They need each other to attract attention, while the popular sports have no trouble doing it with their own events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back