• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should he pass the torch before he retires?

xavyer

xavyer
Hey everyone, since Monday, there have been questions about Triple H, and i know there have been threads about it, but at this moment is everyone's guess if Triple H retired or not, and i have a few questions about this:

A.- Should he retire after the speach he made?

B.- Should he pass the torch before he oficially retires?

C.- If your answer is B, to who should he passes the torch to?

Triple H's "retirement" speech was ambiguous at best. At the end of the day, all he really seemed to say was that "retirement" is something that he's seriously considering at this point in time. If Triple H had come right out and said that he was retiring, then that'd be the end of it.

Should he retire after the speech on Raw? Not in my opinion. Whenever Triple H decides to really hang it up, the WWE should and probably will make it into a big deal. I fully expect it to be something along the lines of the treatment Ric Flair was given his last night on Raw following WM several years back.

As far as the whole passing the torch thing goes, I think it'd kinda be nice to see Triple H put over some younger guy in his final WWE match. For instance, whenever The Undertaker finally hangs it up, it'll almost certainly be at WM after deciding to end the streak.

As for who it should be, there are any number of potentially good choices. Off the top of my head, Sheamus would be a good candidate. I prefer Sheamus as a heel personally, but I like him all the same. I think he's proven a lot of doubters wrong over the past few years. He & Triple H are close, so I could see it happening.

CM Punk is another guy that's a good candidate. The WWE could easily revive their feud as as their business being unfinished. They only had one match, which Triple H won due to the outside interference of Kevin Nash. Punk is someone that's gaining more influence in the company, and the WWE is obviously pleased with his performance as WWE Champion since he's on the verge of being the 3rd longest reigning champion in more than 20 years.

If the WWE ever decides to fully pull the trigger on him, Dolph Ziggler would be someone who could gain huge momentum in his career. As usual, since Ziggler is in the middle of a push, he's getting his share of hate, but I think he's among the top overall talents in WWE right now. He still needs a little work, but he's almost there.

Daniel Bryan is someone who could also gain a lot by Triple H "passing the torch" to him. I don't really see it happening, but it'd be an interesting feud and a great mesh of styles. Triple H is a big powerhouse guy that can brawl with anyone. Bryan is an athletic technician that's also a tough little scrapper.

If Trips does "pass the torch", then I hope and pray that it's to someone that it'll honestly mean a lot to. I don't want to see it be guys like Cena or Orton because they don't need yet another feather in their cap. Besides, I've seen Triple H wrestle them so many times that it's definitely lost its spark. If you're gonna "pass the torch", pass it to someone who's still up & coming in their career.

I cannot answer any of the questions you just asked because of obvious reasons. HHH clearly did not retire as they planning his next match for Wrestlemania 29 as we speak. He has a few matches left in him but I have a feeling he will be like a Vince McMahon and wrestle whenever the company desperately needs him too until he is physically incapable of doing so. Let's be clear here, HHH was never the "top guy" in WWE he was always in a match or program with the person who drew the money. Although HHH was put in a very good position and booked properly, and obviously marrying the bosses daughter helped but HHH was never a polarizing figure such as Austin, Rock, or Cena. I could be wrong, just my opinion. And a torch was passed from Austin to Cena obviously but the next torch will be passed when the time is right..

A - No, he still has a bit left in him, and that "retirement" speech was just awful. WWE caters tot he 10 year old minds who their product is aimed at now-a-days it seems.

B - I think he has already passed the torch in some ways to Orton and Cena years ago.

C - The only one really credible enough to beat Triple H in a big time match to receive the "torch" would be CM Punk. They have a bit of history. Other than that, I don't see anyone else except maybe Sandow (unlikely) or someone not yet debuted.

Triple H is not going to retire in the same way as a HBK or Flair. He is gonna run the show one day and as such will likely still wrestle matches for another 15 years as "The Boss". Vince has wrestled well into his 60's and he was not a wrestler to begin with. Now I am not saying Trips will be at the same level. But there will always be mileage in him wrestling as "the boss" and they will use it until he is physically unable to.

As a competitor I don't see much of a torch left to pass. We're talking about a guy on a two-match losing streak that works full-time as a WWE executive.

Where there may be a "torch" to pass is as a cerebral assassin, backstage politicker or guy who uses a sledgehammer. I think he kind of did this for Orton but there is room for him to do it for another guy if he is willing and capable to have a full-time proper feud. Punk is the obvious choice and it would help Punk to get over since he lost to HHH last year. Barrett is the other guy who stands out to me that could fill a heel HHH-type role.

I had the idea last year of a segment where someone outsmarts HHH by putting a cut in his sledgehammer so it snaps when HHH goes to use it.

First off, define passing the torch? What does that actually mean?

Secondly, hasn't he pretty much backed away and hasn't Cena been the face of the company for the better part of the last decade? Cena's been carrying the company for a long time now. If anyone's going to pass the proverbial torch it's going to be him.

I wish he'd get someone over besides Brock Lesnar, who doesn't need it. He would put Punk over. I know he has it in him, he let Shelton Benajamin beat him cleanly back when he truly was King of Kings. Why not let Ziggler or Daniel Bryan get a clean win...that would be good for business.

Like TheImpactPlayer said, HHH's tap out to Cena in WM22 was his passing of the torch. Maybe he can do it again, but it's pretty much already been done.

Yes I think The Undertaker will retire at Wrestlemania 30 and it only makes sense with HHH taking on so many more responsibilities recently, that he retires this year.

I think Triple H should beat Wade Barrett or Alberto Del Rio at TLC for the World Heavyweight Champioship.

He should then essentially bring the WHC to RAW. (aka appear on Smackdown sometimes) Do a promo stating this is his "biggest win ever & if he can't stay on the top he doesn't want to be a competitor anymore." So who ever can beat him for the title will also retire him.

He would then go on a strong title reign beating either Barrett or Del Rio(whoever he didn't face before) at the Rumble & retaining in the Elimination Chamber. When the chamber is raising...*!Ziggler's Music Hits!*...only to come down in a suit & say he doesn't want to "beat some broken shell of an old man for HIS world title!" And Ziggler OFFICIALLY cashes in his MitB briefcase.......AT WRETLEMANIA 29 AGAINST THE GAME - TRIPLE H! Then Ziggler shakes Trip's hand and Ziggler tells him the game is over! Just before Vickie distracts HHH & Ziggles hits a Zig-Zag!

This leads to a 6-8 weeks program on both SD & RAW between the two leading to Mania, with Ziggler looking good but HHH getting the better due to "veteran ring savy".

At Mania 29 HHH drops the WHC to Ziggler in the main event(probably not last match) and retires on the spot.
(Most likely being the 2nd man to be an "acive competitor" inducted into the WWE HoF the night before.)

A.- Should he retire after the speech he made?
No. HHH has many more matches in him. Even if he works one or two matches a year, he draws. Make HHH to SumerSlam as Taker is the 'Mania. Maybe not as iconic, but that could be where The Game wrestles once a year at for a good 5 more years.

B.- Should he pass the torch before he officially retires?
Pass the torch, yes. In his last match, no. I think he should retire on a high note. He is an icon in this business. If he is going to to loose when he retires, it should be to a big named superstar. Ala Taker vs. HBK. Thats just my opinion.

I think he has passed the torch many times. But his last big one should be Wade Barret. No questions to it. Wade has all the potentials to make it big in this company, and by the time HHH is ready to retire Wade should be slightly established and could use this last big bump.

On a side note, Triple H putting someone over? BS. haha

Should he retire after the speech he made?

No, but he should have retired after his End of an Era Thing with Taker. That's why it's called "End of an Era". Why bother wrestling part-time? It's making him look like he's hogging the spotlight from current superstars, and he is. I like Triple H and all, but it's about time he stops wrestling. Oh well. :shrug: What's done is done.

Should he pass the torch before he officially retires? If your answer is B, to who should he passes the torch to?

See IHW's post below:

B.- Should he pass the torch before he officially retires?
Pass the torch, yes. In his last match, no. I think he should retire on a high note. He is an icon in this business. If he is going to to loose when he retires, it should be to a big-named superstar. Ala Taker vs. HBK. That's just my opinion.

I think he has passed the torch many times. But his last big one should be Wade Barrett. No questions to it. Wade has all the potentials to make it big in this company, and by the time HHH is ready to retire, Wade should be slightly established and could use this last big bump.

So yes, he should pass the torch, again, with the last person being Wade Barrett. Barrett could use the nice big rub from The King of Kings, maybe even be the next Triple H like some people are saying.

Reactions: IHW
**A.- Should he retire after the speach he made?**

No, not at all. After everything he had given to Professional Wrestling over the years and his standing within the business I do not think he should retire after getting tapped out and his arm broken in the process. He deserves a MUCH better finale than losing to someone like Brock Lesnar.

**B.- Should he pass the torch before he oficially retires?**

Without a doubt. He is a massive scalp for anyone. Someone close to breaking the ceiling would benefit greatly from being the person who actually beat and retired Triple H. Brock Lesnar is already a star, he doesn't need the rub or to be the guy who retired The Game to get over, he is already over. Thinking about the NEXT superstar is more important.

**C.- If your answer is B, to who should he passes the torch to?**

That's tough because right now there aren't too many viable options. Do you put the faith in Del Rio? Do you put the faith in Ziggler? I'm not entirely sure. Though I do believe that HHH is/should be required to give the next generation the rub.

HHH draws decent and will always be a part of WWE. So he probably will be wrestling min matches for years to come. Plus there is no such things as a tourch. The biggest names in wrestling got to the top without help. They did it themselves. Austin, Hogan, Rock. These guys were already huge draws before people started putting them over. And even if there was a torch to pass there is no one on the horizon worthy of taking said torch. CM Punk is already champion and he doenst draw, Sheamus has been around long enough to prove that he cant prob wont get higher than he is. No one is left. The only guy to make big money with is Cena. Cena vs HHH as headliner- Cena goes over- everyone makes money off of decent headliner.

The Rock wasn't a draw until well after he changed his name and gimmick. He had the likes of Austin (who was a big name and maineventer) to put him over as a wrestler. Before then he was low on the totem pole and in fact disliked by the fans. Stone Cold had the likes of Vince McMahon (yes the whole chicken/egg thing) to help get him over as the ultimate rebel/vigilante and defy his boss/the company and anyone. He has Vince McMahon to thank much like Vince has him to thank. on the Hogan side of it, I don't know that far back.

What I guess I'm getting at is that you as a new commer or aspiring star need the bigger names to help improve you or get you over with crowds. It's part of the process that is vital.

A}Should Triple H retire after the speech he made?

No. I don't think anyone was fooled with that drivel. It was a calculated attempt to get sympathy from fans who didn't give HHH the reaction WWE wanted for him @ Summerslam. Honestly, I cannot blame the fans for giving Triple H such a reaction. He only works few dates and does very little to help anyone get over.

B}Should he pass the torch before he offically retires?

If anyone should be passing the torch, it is indeed Triple H. No one in the pro wrestling business becomes a star without others doing the honors for someone else. Triple H has gotten a few over, but only those to whom he was already friends with. The Clique effect. The only exception is maybe Cena. Brock Lesnar is massively over and didn't need the win to be legit. His prior run was enough. CM Punk certainly didn't need a win, even though HHH wanted to return and win over Punk anyway[which is odd, considering he didn't need it and Punk could've benefitted from it anyway].

The most logical thing is to have Triple H return and win over Lesnar, which we know he will do anyway[whether we wanna see it or not, it's inevitable]. As for who Triple H should pass the torch to, the possibilities are endless; The Miz, Cody Rhodes, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk[doing it right this time], and even Michael McGuilicutty[who it is rumored that Triple H is high on]. I would like to see Joe Hennig break out and become himself and have Triple H pass the torch to him. It would establish Hennig as a star and would be the right thing to do, considering the Joe's father Mr Perfect was one of the guys who helped establish HHH in the beginning. It would kind of be a full circle deal if Joe got made by winning over The Game.

It's a real shame that such a great performer will no doubt be overshadowed by his backstage position and political manuevering. Honestly, I don't expect Trips to do the right thing. I would be utterly shocked & amazed if he does manage to help even one guy become a next generation star. There are numerous choices who could all benefit from a win and subsequent feud with Triple H. Whether it actually happens is the question. If HHH has any kind of real respect for the WWE and those that helped pave the way for him and before him, he'll do the right thing and put a much needed new star over.

B. He should put someone over before retiring. Sorry, I just don't like the whole "passing the torch" saying.

Triple H putting a wrestler over in his last, official match can do wonders for them. There's a select few that I think would fit under Triple H, though. Those select few are: Antonio Cesaro, Damien Sandow, Wade Barrett, and Drew McIntyre. I would have said Kassius Ohno, but I see him easily feuding with John Cena and Undertaker.

The first three I listed, I think can handle themselves well when it comes to mic exchange with Triple H, especially the first two (Antonio Cesaro and Damien Sandow). Those two can talk and have more layers to their mic skills, in my opinion, than Wade Barrett and Drew McIntyre. Wade and Drew aren't far behind, though. First two, however, are the best fit in terms of exchanging with Triple H on the mic. The reason why I'm talking about the promos is because this is also an important factor in putting/getting someone over.

In terms of working in the ring, all would do great. Most of them do have similarities, yet all different in their own way. Who are the two that I think can mesh well with Hunter in the ring? Antonio Cesaro and Drew McIntyre. We should all know that Antonio Cesaro is a seasoned vet and his European style of wrestling is entertaining. Drew McIntyre, on the other hand, is still young but has a nice style to him than say, Wade Barrett, who's mostly brawling.

In terms of the future, I'd say Antonio Cesaro, Damien Sandow, and Drew McIntyre. Now, I know you'll ask why did I even name Wade Barrett if he didn't make any of the options. Well, it's because he's the fallback plan (at least my fallback plan). Antonio Cesaro and Damien Sandow are starting off at a steady (or a bit slower) pace since their debut, which is GOOD. They're not being overexposed like Wade Barrett was. Both are being shown little by little, not revealing everything, so kudos to WWE for doing that. Watching both of them before their debuts, their future is bright as Heaven. These two have more potential than Wade Barrett, in my opinion. Drew McIntyre is still very young (27, at the moment), and still has loads of untapped potential. He "flopped" (more like WWE flopped, not him), yet he's been off TV for a while that I think him being overexposed is no problem anymore. As I said, he's still young so you can still build onto him by heaps.

With all that said, who should Triple H put over in his final match? Antonio Cesaro. Drew McIntyre is a close second. Maybe I'm just being biased since I want to see AC hit the Giant Swing, UFO, and Very European Uppercut on him, but I think they blend well together and AC is the total package. Triple H's final match, if putting someone over, should automatically launch a wrestler's career. Antonio Cesaro is the one who's primed and ready for that push and can run with the ball, becoming huge in WWE. That's just my two dollars and fifty cents.

I don’t know if he has the torch so to say. I mean you have Undertaker that wrestles till. You have Rock, Big Show, and now Brock. So he couldn’t pass the torch with him not being the only one left. It’s not like Hogan and the Rock. I mean it would of been a good time with Cena and Rock. But anyway, if he is the last one around then yes. Maybe to Cena, Swagger or even Sheamuse.

I don’t know if he has the torch so to say. I mean you have Undertaker that wrestles till. You have Rock, Big Show, and now Brock. So he couldn’t pass the torch with him not being the only one left. It’s not like Hogan and the Rock. I mean it would of been a good time with Cena and Rock. But anyway, if he is the last one around then yes. Maybe to Cena, Swagger or even Sheamuse.

Of course he has a torch to pass, Triple H is a massive name within the business that is known to be the measuring stick. He is a 13 time Word Champion, the most reigns in WWE/WWF/WWWF history. The most decorated WWE World Champion ever and has been involved in some of, if not the biggest story lines and programs. He has as immense shadow because of his stature within the company, nay the business. He is more accomplished than Brock Lesnar, Big Show and The Rock combined in the wrestling business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back