• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should GSP fight Anderson Silva?

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
'Ee does not fight for ze belt. Ee 'az ze belt. 'Ee is fighting for 'iz, uh, legacy.

So, should GSP try and prove he's the greatest pound for pound fighter on planet Earth by fighting Anderson Silva?

Personally, I don't think so. Silva is naturally much bigger than him, and GSP's tendency to walk around at fight weight could do him some damage. I couldn't see him winning this and it would only damage 'iz legacy.

All the same, I don't see this rumour being put to bed any time soon.

Sure. But I would say that, I'm not a GSP fan./ Mostly ebcause I object to his goody two-shoes personality. What is a goody two-shoes, really? It's a question for another thread.

But yeah, make a higher rated opponent would make Silve actually do some fucking work for a change. But I think Forrest is going to beat him anyway. No, I don't gamble on MMA, before you ask.

I'm a big GSP fan and I'm a fan of Anderson Silva so I would like to see this fight. I think GSP could win, but Anderson Silva is bigger, has a weight, and then you mix that in with his skills. I would bet on Silva to win.

I don't see this as being a wise move. GSP and Silva have nothing to prove. I know both Silva and GSP are being billed as two of the best "pound for pound" fighters in the world. But I think all they care about as individuals is being the best in their weight classes. They've clearly proven that to the world. Fighting each other would only put a black cloud on one of their careers. It would add a loss to one of their records in a fight that would be meaningless to their place in the UFC.

I'd like to see this fight, but I don't want to see it happen. That doesn't really make sense.

I think it'd be a good fight, but to put a moderately sized welterweight against a large middleweight that's already creeping into the light heavyweight division to find competition doesn't sound like a smart move.

If this fight were to happen, I'd like to see GSP take on a few middleweights like Bisping or Henderson first. I want to know that he can handle the increase in size before he takes on a man that has seemingly transcended his weight class.

It's like Jake said... GSP is a bit of a goody two-shoes, so you do have to factor that in. The reason why is because... if there's someone in the Welterweight Division who deserves a shot at the title, GSP would have to give that person a shot at it before moving up a weight class. And as of right now... if Mike Swick wins his next fight (he'll then be 10-1 in the UFC), then he'll most definitely deserve a title shot and GSP will gladly give him one.

However, after GSP's next fight @ Welterweight... if no one steps up and there's nothing left to do in the division at that point in time, and Anderson Silva is still undefeated in the UFC.... that would be the next logical step. The fans would want to see it (again... this factors into GSP being such a nice guy and wanting to give the fans what they want), and it would perhaps be the biggest payday in GSP's life. Plus, the fact of the matter is... GSP would actually stand a chance and I believe he believes the same as I do. Nobody has been able to stop GSP's takedowns and just because Spider is a bit bigger than him doesn't mean he'd end up being the first to be able to stop them.

It'd be a very interesting match-up, and one that would be impossible to predict. But best believe GSP stands a better chance against Anderson Silva than any Middleweight in the UFC, and that's a fact.

Should GSP fight Anderson? Not in my opinion. Will he? Sure as hell probably will. GSP's greatest strength is his wrestling, i don't think there's any arguing this. Many consider him to have the best wrestling in MMA. The thing is, being a good wrestler is fine, but strength is also required to be a good wrestler. Anderson is reported at walking around at 220, one interview i have bookmarked even says 230, which i don't believe. Anderson is 220 and 6'2, i would assume he blows up to maybe 210-205 on fight night. Even if Georges takes his time to put on weight, proper weight that is, Anderson would still be too big for him. Now Anderson by no means has great takedown defense as shown by his fight with Lutter, but when you have such a big weight advantage over someone great takedown defense isn't needed. Ontop of all this Anderson is a damn smart fighter. I really doubt Anderson would give his leg like Thiago did to GSP for a takedown. On the feet i think there's no question Anderson would destroy GSP.

If i had to bet, my money would go down on Anderson for the reasons i mentioned. Who knows, maybe GSP could be freakishly strong and would be able to takedown Anderson, i don't think so, but it has yet to be seen. So because of the huge size advantage i feel GSP shouldn't take this fight. Sure some of the best fighters fight above their weight class, but GSP would be fighting one of the pound 4 pound best way above his own natural weight. Which makes this a different case. So yeah, i don't think GSP should take the fight, but it will go down. I'm sure. If Dana sees enough money in this super fight its gonna happen.

What does either fighter really have to gain? This fight is best left as a "dream match" a la Ali v. Tyson or Austin v. Hogan. Would it make money? yes. would people watch it? yes. Most importantly would it ever live up to the hype? Thats where that damn "no" shows up. with two men who are champions in their weight classes, and at two ends of the spectrum as far as their weight really goes, all this fight would do is make the smaller man look foolish for taking it. why should St. Pierre a guy who is probably naturally 185 when he's walking around fight a guy who would still be comfortable and truly a contender at 205? the amount of prep would be brutal to put on the weight the right way and to still be prepared without gassing out. there can't be an even plain on which to face each other for Anderson Silva, and Georges St. Pierre so if you can't have a "fair" contest, don't have one.

I am a huge fan of GSP, he recives so much trash from other people for his so called "goody" additude and is always being put under by analyists. But even though I do not believe a fight with Anderson Silva would be helpfull to either one of the fighters.

In reality what would it accomplish? If GSP wins then it just shows that he is what he says he is, which people should already believe just by looking at what he as done in the last year. And if Silva wins? All it goes to show is they are both two of the top fighters in the world.

I don't think is an area in the cage with the exception of a bit of a wrestling edge that would naturally be nulified by the 25-30 pound larger fighter that is the current reigning king of the Middleweight devision. Anderson would have range with his hands, feet and could easily pick GSP apart with his superior striking skills. Also there is the scary factor that Anderson is also a dangerous BJJ black belt under the Nogueria Brothers and has tapped out the likes of Travis Lutter. In a situation of this case where a fighter doesn't have an advantage anywhere in ther cage, GSP wouldn't take this fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back