Shoud WWE Bring Back More Wrestlers With A Certain "Characteristic"?

buddyriffic

Occasional Pre-Show
Now what I'm talking about here is not necessarily WWE bringing back GIMMICK wrestlers (ie- Boogeyman, Papa Shango) but something inbetween that....and just using a first and last name. I'll give a couple examples.

Hillbilly Jim- And yes, I'm being serious. Could there be another Hillbilly Jim style wrestler today? When the Godwinns were around and being managed by him, I did not enjoy them at all. But in that era, the WWF was desperately in need of shedding it's old skin and breaking out into a new era. By now I figure that enough time has passed that old might just be able to become new again? Back then in 1996 there were still plenty of old generation wrestlers on the roster (Bret Hart, Jake Roberts, Yokozuna) so any attempt of having a Hillbilly Jim try to be relevant just made you wish the WWE would evolve a little, come up with new ideas. But again, could old become new again with this kind of wrestling personality these days?? Maybe make him be less of a "fun" character and take business more seriously?

Akeem The African Dream- When One Man Gang made this transition to a white guy who was "re-discovering his African roots" (to everyone's surprise and doubt) it made many a people scratch their head. Maybe it wasn't necessary but it did stretch out his lifespan a little more I believe. He went on to be relevant in the Mega Powers explode storyline on Saturday Night's Main Event. He had a Wrestlemania blowoff match with Big Bossman when that tag team ran it's course, and I believe he got onto some Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, and Summerslam cards as well. Not to mentions the promos!!

The reason I bring all this up is because even though the wrestling these days is far superior to the days of old, I truly believe the promos of those days were much more entertaining.

I leave you on this note.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHA7IetjPZA

Gotta admit, Slick drops the greatest "Let me tell you something, brother!" in the history of wrestling, around the 50-second mark. Long live Slick!

So would you like to see more of these wrestlers with a certain over-the-top characteristic these days?

What are your ideas for any new wrestlers that could debut?

Any re-hashes or twists on old personalities you'd like to see?

I remember watching the Cyndi Lauper video from the Goonies recently, the one that had a lot of wrestling cameos, and one thing that stuck out was the larger than life characters in it... it starred guys like Freddie Blassie, Piper, and Nikolai Volkoff. All of those were great "over the top" characters and what I miss from wrestling these days. Come to think of it, Hillbilly Jim was in it as well. I think they can have wrestlers from all walks of life again with over the top characteristics, any race, any stereotype (hey, it's wrestling, that's what makes it fun, and takes you out of reality). I would like to see the mad russian, the white africans, and all the classics over again. Though, with this new "reality era" I'm not sure they will go back to that direction.

You could say that Tensai and The Funkasaurus are an attempt at over the top gimmicky characters today.

I don't think the Goddwins worked well because that gimmick probably had very little to do with their actual personality. Same with the boogey man, papa shango, etc. Undertaker is the exception I'd say, but he's had an exceptional career at a lot of things.

Gimmicks like Piper, Funk, Flair, Stone Cold, Hillbilly Jim, worked so well because they seemed like they were real. It may not be true, but as a viewer it's not hard to accept that the Piper or Flair I see on tv is Piper or Flair with a few attributes turned up to 10 and a few turned down to 0.

I'm not sure Brodus Clay has any funkasaurus in him, but he puts 100 percent in it. If he thinks it's a bad gimmick he does a great job hiding it in and pretending that he loves the hell out of it.

I'd agree with the poster that said that Brodus Clay and Lord Tensai are definitely attempts to use an over the top type gimmck in today's WWE.

To me, it's never so much about the gimmick itself, as much as it is the wrestlers embodying the gimmick. Hillbilly Jim, Honkey Tonk Man, early Undertaker, even Stone Cold Steve Austin, all were gimmicks that could have tanked instantly, had the talents portraying them not been completely committed to the character.

That's part of the problem with Lord Tensai. When he's in the ring, it simply feels like he's acting out a part, there's no real realm of belief to it. His mannerisms seems like parody, and his attire doesn't come across as authentic in any way..especially if you are familiar at all with Japanese royalty or custom.

I'd agree with the poster that said that Brodus Clay and Lord Tensai are definitely attempts to use an over the top type gimmck in today's WWE.

To me, it's never so much about the gimmick itself, as much as it is the wrestlers embodying the gimmick. Hillbilly Jim, Honkey Tonk Man, early Undertaker, even Stone Cold Steve Austin, all were gimmicks that could have tanked instantly, had the talents portraying them not been completely committed to the character.

That's part of the problem with Lord Tensai. When he's in the ring, it simply feels like he's acting out a part, there's no real realm of belief to it. His mannerisms seems like parody, and his attire doesn't come across as authentic in any way..especially if you are familiar at all with Japanese royalty or custom.

exactly and I agree with previous poster as well...

I think it's been said by wrestlers in the industry that the best "gimmicks" are just extensions of the personality of the person performing them, but turned up to 11.... When Rock was "rocky maivia" and just happy to be there as the good guy happy go lucky dude, it didn't work... The second he "became" the Rock it clicked and he was THE most electrifying man in sports entertainment, and more of an extension of Dwayne Johnson just turned way up.... Same with Stone Cold Steve Austin... He wasn't going anyways as the Ringmaster, but when allowed to be the badass beer drinking guy he always was it clicked.. Same with papa Shango.. He never clicked as that or kama mustafa, but as the godfather he clicked beautifully because that's who he was...

I think over the top gimmicks such as those work, but only if the person behind the gimmick is like that... It has to be natural and not just someone acting the part because that doesn't work (except in rare circumstances..)

Yeah that's part of the point I was trying to make with Tensai and Funkasaurus. I liked Albert and A Train in the attitude days. I didn't follow any of his work in japan but I heard it was great. To me when he comes out as Tensai it's like the guy who came out and played a plumber. People remember he was Albert, they know he's not some japanese killing machine, but the problem is he looks like HE knows he's Albert and not Tensai.

When Clay comes out he's like Akeem was. People knew he was the one man gang, but he was Akeem and not the one man gang playing Akeem. People may remember Brodus Clay but when he comes out it's as Brodus Clay the dancing machine not Brodus Clay playing a dancing machine.

I don't particularly like it, I know others don't as well, but he makes it work. He gets a solid reaction and he sells it 100 percent. He looks like he believes he's the funkasaurus. The facial expressions, the body language, his dancing, etc all seems like it's him.

Santino is another one. I don't know how much actual Santino is in Santino but he has embraced the hell out of that character and gives it his all. I think that's why the live fans reward him so much. He took a joke gimmick but he didn't treat it like a joke, he took it as an opportunity.

You could say that Tensai and The Funkasaurus are an attempt at over the top gimmicky characters today.

Good point. I don't think the Akeem gimmick was any more outrageous than the Funkasaurus, as evidenced by the fact that Brodus Clay was able to command a spot in Wrestlemania where he (thankfully) didn't even have to wrestle to make an impact. When a dance routine can be fashioned around a wrestler's persona, it's hard to argue that an over-the-top gimmick isn't at play.

Someone else mentioned Santino.....and they're right. His schtick is about as out-of-the-ordinary as anything WWE ever came up with. In some ways, he's the descendant of Doink the Clown; a quasi-comedy act with some (often hidden) superior technical wrestling ability thrown in. If Doink could be considered outrageous, then so can Santino. (I still always wonder if there was a family connection between Santino and Gorilla Monsoon, given that both their family names are Marella).

As for Papa Shango, it's a gimmick best left in the past. I'm happy a voodoo persona wasn't attached to Kofi Kingston (who, after all, started out as a Jamaican in WWE but eventually became Americanized:)). Better to leave him with no personality at all than to stick him with that.

Good post. I've made comments frequently on topics like this regarding character development in WWE, because it's a topic that I take a lot of interest in.

To answer the first question, I'm not truly sure if I'd like to see a resurgence of the over-the-top characters again. My reason is simple - the day and age we're currently in regarding pro wrestling doesn't really call for it at the moment.

In today's world of pro wrestling, most characters are pretty must based on reality. There's not a lot of flash and pagentry. The characters are not cartoonish or unbelievable anymore. Many are just portrayed as normal men and women, with the focus simply being on various personality traits. The visual aspect isn't what it used to be back in the 80s and 90s. I grew up watching wrestling in that era, and I enjoyed that time in the business. But, as times changed, you don't see elabtorate costumes and superhero-type characters anymore. Wrestlers like you mentioned - Hillbilly Jim, Akeem, etc. - came about because wrestling during that time was more about the character's look and less about the technical aspects of the sport. The "rock n wrestling" theme of the 80s merged that rock star status with WWF, which wore out after a while. Plus, you didn't have the IWC back then, so you could get away with changing a character around without many people knowing who that person really was and criticism spreading all around. After that, the Attitude era of WWF and WCW's NWO era took wrestling in a whole new direction - darker and more realistic.

With new characters like Brodus Clay's "Funkasarus" look and Lord Tensai, it looks like those types of characters are at least starting to make a slight comeback. With the focus of WWE more turning back to a younger crowd after the Attitude and Ruthless Aggression eras were geared more toward adults and a gritter time, maybe these types of characters could find their way back into the business. It seems that WWE is at least testing the waters. They're at least referring to some of these characters as former WWE superstars w/o mentioning their past characters, to show that they have returned.

I do agree that the best characters are those that are based on facets of the individual's personality. If a wrestler is playing a character that he or she relates to better, that allows them to better enjoy being that character. If they're portraying a character that perhaps isn't like their true nature, it may come off as feeling and looking forced, which can deter some fans away from the character. People want to be entertained, and if the entertainer isn't happy doing what they're doing, it will show in their performances.

I wouldn't want to see rehashes of older characters. I personally like to see new, fresh ideas out there that can grasp my attention. Rehashing stuff makes me feel that the writers are taking the easy way out and capitalizing on something that was once popular, and taking a risk that it can be popular once again. Let the past be the past and try to give us something new.

Good timing for this topic, as I was watching Survivor Series '88 recently and noticed something. Kids in the audience with inflatable snakes around their necks and others with 2x4's made of foam. I think the characters really widen the marketing scope of wrestling, as well as the in-ring product. An example might be Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. Nikolai Volkoff. Simply changing Jim Duggan, the blue tights-wearing grappler to an All-American, fan-involving gimmick, makes this match more interesting. Making it a Flag Match would change a one-on-one "hope the face wins but where's Hulk?" match for kids to a "Come on, Hacksaw, get the US flag first!" contest. The kids are already there, so it isn't selling tickets; however, it presents a better product and a better overall show....though the match and its result would have no effect on any titles.

I say "kids" because you parents'-basement-living, internet-whining bitches make me sick. But the entertainment of wrestling still has value to it. There is a place for parents to bring their kids and be entertained without having to explain where babies come from on the way home. I think characters, and what they bring, can enhance that.

I like the Idea of "characters" in WWE. I miss over the top promos, ala Hulk Hogan and Macho Man (80's). Everybody looks the same with tans and abs (Orton, Cody, Miz, Drew, Ziggler, Otunga). Half the roster wears kick pads (Miz, Kofi, Daniel Bryan, Punk, Gabriel, Jericho, Kidd should I go on?) Even the promos, everyone is so sarcastic (Miz, Punk, Ziggler, Cena) Everyone is so cookie-cutter. I like the Funkasaurus. It's good to see a non- body guy. Lord Tensai also. WWE is being destroyed by writers who tell wrestlers what to say, how to say it, how to look...I listen to the podcasts from former writers and its a shame. It's almost like a beauty contest! Enough Sexy divas and superstars.

I agree that it seems like the WWE is positioning for a return to more "flashy" characters. Tensai, Rybeck, Clay and others are examples of this. I don't think we'll ever fully return simply because the way the product is packaged now.

During the days of Akeem, Warlord, Barbarian, Hillbillly Jim; promos weren't nearly what they are today. Often times the segments were short interviews guided by a guy like Mean Gene. Or you had the quick 30 second shot right before a match basically just saying "i'm gonna beat you."

You had to be more over the top and visual with your character because it was the only way to get over. You didn't have time to distinguish yourself any other way.

Today we get a lot more backstage time, more in-ring promos. Typically we don't even get to the first wrestling match until 20 minutes into the show. Because of this, the show takes on a "reality" aspect to it, that doesn't need as much over the top gimmicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back