• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shawn Michaels: Stipulation Tester

"Cool Guy" Jensen

Undertaker for Champ!
I'm sure that this has likely been talked upon, but I'm not sure if a seperate thread has been posted, so I decided to do it. It has come to my attention that Shawn Michaels has been involved in many different first-time stipulations.

In 1994, Shawn Michaels was in the first ever ladder match against Razor Ramon. Unfortunately he lost, but atleast he helped make the match more innovative for later ladder matches.

In 1996, Shawn Michaels was in the first ever Ironman match against Bret Hart. At Wrestlemania, HBK finally achieved his boyhood dream of becoming WWF Champion.

In 1997, Shawn Michaels was in the first ever Hell in a Cell match against The Undertaker (who was in the first 3 of this type of match). With the help of the debuting Kane, HBK was able to defeat The Undertaker.

In 2002, Shawn Michaels, along with World Heavyweight Champion Triple H, Rob Van Dam, Booker T, Kane, and Chris Jericho were involved in the first ever Elimination Chamber match. It was hear that after 4 long years away from wrestling, Shawn Michaels returned to win his first and only World Heavyweight Championship at only his 2nd ppv back.

That alone is 4 of WWE's most beautiful gimmick matches of all time, all of which were revolutionized by "The Heartbreak Kid" himself, Shawn Michaels. In those first-ever matches, HBK is 3-1. Why do you think WWE does this? Do you think it is just a coincidence that he's in the first-ever of so many matches or do you think there is an actual explanation? Any thoughts at all please. Thanks!

I have pondered on this for quite some time of how HBK has been in these matches first before anyone else & I have only two logical explanations for this. One, is basically coincidence as to which you have stated.

The only other explanation I have is that Shawn Michaels moveset & wrestling style perfectly fits what the matches are all about. The psychology he possesses as well as how he performs in the ring concerning selling & giving out the offensive compliments these match types. With Shawn being known as a high-flyer during the early part of his career, it is easy to see why he would be involved in a ladder match. The IronMan match I'm guessing was to test whether Michaels is able to go the distance with one of the best & most challenging in-ring competitor's Bret Hart to see how reliable Shawn really is. For the cage-type matches, I would not have a clue to figure this other than saying the WWF at the time needed a pawn to take advantage of the Kane/Undertaker feud. The elimination chamber was a way of getting Michaels over as the champ without losing in a one on one match that could have buried the champion, considering he hadn't been wrestling for a long time since his return.

This is only my best guesses, but I a going to stick with these for the moment.

I don't think that it is a coincidence at all. WWE knew exactly what they were doing. Let me explain.

Shawn Michaels is the best in ring performer of the 90's generation and, so far, he is the best of this generation. WWE had some new match ideas and WWE wanted these matches to sell well and draw alot of attention. So why not throw your greatest in ring performer into the match to make the match an instant classic? All of the matches that were listed classify as classic IMO. You might be able to leave out the Elimination Chamber, however, it was the still the best out of the rest of the Elimination Chamber matches we have seen. So I think that the WWE knew exactly how to make those matches golden and that was to throw HBK in the match and let him loose. If the Showstopper, The Main Event, Mr. Wrestlemania, The Icon, couldn't make the match look good, then there was little to no chance in hell that anyone else could have.

BTW, Undertaker deserves a shit ton of credit for how good that first Hell in a Cell was aswell!

("Cool Guy" Jensen): In 1994, Shawn Michaels was in the first ever ladder match against Razor Ramon. Unfortunately he lost, but atleast he helped make the match more innovative for later ladder matches.

In Correction Razor Ramon was not in the 1st ladder match in WWE it was Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels for the Intercontinental Championship on July 21,1992. Which Bret won.

and dont forget most recently to my knowledge dx and legacy the first ever submissions count anywhere match altho def not as powerful or groundbreaking as the ironman match or the ladder match.
And for the actual post maybe since hunter and shawn have vinces ear they listen to his ideas and maybe he has some kick ass ideas.

Shawn Michaels wasn't in the first ever ladder match. The ladder match was a concept first done by Bret Hart and Dynamite Kid in the old Calgary Stampede territory in the late 1970s-early 1980s. Bret and Shawn had a ladder match taped for Coliseum Video in 1992. Its on YouTube.

That being said, HBK was THE performer in the mid 90s. He took the ladder match to the next level with his creative and daredevil athleticism. He had great charisma, stamina, and a will to compete that helped in the Iron Man Match with the Hitman. He gave everything he had and wasn't afraid to try anything that he thought was physically possible to pull off. The First HIAC with Taker told a story, was brutal, physical, demanding, believable and creative. They pulled off so many great spots in that match and it went 4 minutes. The Elimination Chamber was a perfect way to christen the return and championship victory for HBK by embarking on a new match type. What better way to break it in then with Shawn Michaels stealing the victory.

When trying out new ideas, to get them over with the crowd, the WWE must feature one superstar that everyone is 100% behind or 100% against. You must also feature a man who is at the top of the game, both in-ring and via reputation. There was only one man in the 90's that was good enough to test all these boundaries, and that's HBK. If HBK can't make the match look good, no one else had a chance. Could you imagine any of those historic firsts (w/ the exception of the ladder match, although WM10 is the standard for ladder matches) w/ out HBK?

It wouldn't work any other way. Nor could it have. But because HBK showed these matches could be performed excellently, it gave the other superstars a guideline in which to perform. There is a touch of HBK in every one of these match types. He wrote the "How to" book on these matches.

I don't think this is just a mere coincidence; I see a clear pattern. The pattern is WWE hand-picking Shawn Micheals to frequently participate in unheard of, original gimmick matches. Like you said, WWE specifically chose HBK to be the first participant in HIAC, EC, ladder, and iron man match. For what reasons?

Credibility and versitility
Shawn Micheals has a unique wrestling style in that it allows him to conceivably slug it with the top brawlers, whilst fly with the jumping-bean cruiserweights. HBK is incredibly well-rounded. He performs well in a variety of stats. He can do spots well, he can brawl well, and he can perform well in nearly any enviornment. He always delivers, and gives it his all. The WWE thinks "Shawn can do something with this gimmick, he can bring instant credibility to it with his versitile wrestling style, and he can make you want to see this gimmick match again". It could've started with the ladder match, and then the WWE caught on to his unique style that magnifies the goods of the particular gimmick.

Over time, HBK's clearly embodied certain gimmick matches because he's stamped his finger print on them. WWE rightfully chose him to participate in first matches.

In conclusion, HBK's unique, versitile wrestling style intensifies gimmick matches and the WWE has caught on, and thought it would give the gimmick instant credibility that would make fans want to see more of the said stip. match.

Shawn Michaels is the best in ring performer of the 90's generation and, so far, he is the best of this generation.
Wrong. He's arguably the best in the 90's, although Austin, Rock, etc. have valid claims, however, HBK isn't the best of this generation. There's several superior.
WWE had some new match ideas and WWE wanted these matches to sell well and draw alot of attention. So why not throw your greatest in ring performer into the match to make the match an instant classic?
HBK was not the best, though. Austin, Rock, and many others were better and would draw much more attention, so why not them?

No one else could have gave the gimmick matches the credibility that HBK has with his incredibly adaptable move-set/style. Thus, the match would instantly become awfuly established, and they'd want to see more.

Basically I would say its because they have never saw this kind of match before so their not sure if it will suck. They figure throw Shawn in their and if the match style makes it suck he will find some way to pull it out.

Oh Blue Chipper you answered your own post.

You think that Austin and The Rock were better. Well if they were in fact better, then why were they not the first to be in these gimmick matches? I'm sorry, but Austin or The Rock were not better in ring performers than Michaels. They were good, but IMO, they can't hold a candle to HBK inside the squared circle.

you got me thinking about undertaker too.

Casket, Buried Alive, HIAC. any more people know?

Yes. Boiler Room Brawl, Last Ride Match, Inferno match, I think that is all.

IMO, no one can say, with a straight face, that HBK deserves all the credit for the first HIAC. If it had have been anyone else besides 'Taker in that first one, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as it was. HBK and 'Taker were brilliant in that match.

Oh Blue Chipper you answered your own post.
Ummm, nope. Read again. Carefully.

The reason HBK was picked to be in multiple new matches wasn't because he was the most popular or the best in the ring, it was because he could bring credibility to the matches becasue of his amazing versatility. If you're going to argue that Stone Cold and The Rock are not more entertaining nor bigger stars than HBK, you're dead wrong.

Ummm, nope. Read again. Carefully.

I read what you said carefully and everything that you said was based off of your opinion. Are you going to try and tell me that what you said was all fact?

The reason HBK was picked to be in multiple new matches wasn't because he was the most popular or the best in the ring, it was because he could bring credibility to the matches becasue of his amazing versatility. If you're going to argue that Stone Cold and The Rock are not more entertaining nor bigger stars than HBK, you're dead wrong.

Let's see. At the time of the WM 10 ladder match, the ironman match, and the first HIAC where were Austin and The Rock? Austin was starting to get big around the time of the first HIAC, but he wasn't as big as HBK at that point in time. So yes, if you go by the timing of these matches, then HBK was more popular and more entertaining than both. Around the time of the first Elimination Chamber, no one in the WWE was more popular than the returning HBK because both The Rock and Austin were gone from the company at that point in time. So you are the one that is dead wrong. Also, I am going to stand by my claim that HBK is the best performer from the 90's and he is best performer right now. He puts on some of the best wrestling matches ever. The four that were mentioned are just a few examples. He might have been in the matches for his versatility, but saying that he was in the matches because he could make the matches credible is exactly what I am saying. How do you think that he made the matches credible? Because he was a damn good in ring performer. Bottom line is, if the match couldn't be good with HBK, then who else would have made the matches better?

His athelitic appeal andcharisma during that course (94-02) was remarkable. Razor ,Bret Hart ,Luger to name a few allhad ring presence and great moves,but michaels himself had developed into the superstar everyone loved and wanted to see compete.
Thatsmy look on it but some might say different ..it should be noted too that his likeness and work with The Rockers helped establish his athletic abilitys and charisma. Looking back on his DVD that came out last year he truly was one of the greatest..even before becoming wwe champion. (space bar is broken,sorry for the un spaced words/sentences)

I agree with everyone on the fact that yes, HBK has an amazing move set and that is probably why the WWE gave him the ball in all of these matches. But you guys also have to remember that in some of these (HIAC for sure) bouts, it was HIS idea. For the Hell in a Cell, if memory serves me correctly, they needed to find a way to "stop" D-X from interfering; so Shawn remembered some stuff from his AWA days or something so HE thought of it at creative to put a top on the cage. And then they went for it.
I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that had they waited a couple years, Rock or Austin couldve both pulled it off as well.
As far as the other matches go...we all know Pat Patterson was in love with Shawn (literally) and was constantly thinking of ways to put him on top, so that may have also been a reason why. yes he was an undeniable performer and "the guy who sets the bar" and perhaps the most exciting performer of that era... but its also politics.

I think to put it basically that the WWE knew that Shawn was willing to give every stipulation his all and not hold anything back, there were probably not that many people in that category in the WWE at the time and so they put Shawn in as a safety.

Shawn Michaels is one of the best wrestlers ever and was an ideal pick in the first HIAC, EC, Ladder and Iron Man matches because of how well he performed in the ring. He set the bar that everyone tries to reach when they are in those types of matches. Some have delivered while others have not. Shawn at the time was the best choice to be in these types of matches and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he win the first one of all these matches?

Wrong. He's arguably the best in the 90's, although Austin, Rock, etc. have valid claims, however, HBK isn't the best of this generation. There's several superior.

HBK was not the best, though. Austin, Rock, and many others were better and would draw much more attention, so why not them?

No one else could have gave the gimmick matches the credibility that HBK has with his incredibly adaptable move-set/style. Thus, the match would instantly become awfuly established, and they'd want to see more.

Austin & Rock may have drawn more attention and such, but that weren't better ring performers, they have limited ability like Cena or Hogan

He's one of the best in the industry, has been, will always be, so it only makes sense if you're going to try something new, to use the best you have to do it.

This is the same reason Jericho was in the first EC match, as well as MITB.

If youre going to try something new, its best to use your best talent so you get the best effort possible. I mean whats the point in coming up with some brand new concept or idea, and then let someone who sucks do it only to have it fail?

Austin & Rock may have drawn more attention and such, but that weren't better ring performers, they have limited ability like Cena or Hogan

This is my stance as well. Austin & Rocky are equally if not more entertaining characters than HBK, but in the ring its just not even close. I'm not hating on either guy as I'm a fan of both. Both are really entertaining and both can have a good match with just about anybody....not necessarily a great match.

And to get back on topic, HBK was the first in all these matches because he proved himself in the ladder match. This segued him to be at the top of the list for the other gimmick matches, where he continued to make them really memorable.

"The Icon/ The Showstopper / The Main Eventer" Shawn Michaels is tied in my opinion w/ bein the best at what he does cause he one of the most versitile guys in the biz as is the co-top 1 The Master of The Walls Chris Jericho. We can thank Marty Jannetty for the success of HBK as he was the one who was show the window and helped Shawn get his start in the AWA. So thank you Jannetty.

I mean, let's just sort out fact from fiction here. The WWE didn't come up with the Ladder match or the Ironman match. They were already active in territories before this (Stampede for example), and Pat Patterson had been pushing for the WWF to do an Ironman match for a long time prior to Wrestlemania 12.

That being said, he had two wrestlers in mind. They were Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. I think this was mainly due to the fact Patterson knew that these two could really go in an have a great match and survive the hour plus in the ring. He knew the caliber of worker that Shawn Michaels was, and is I suppose, and pushed him to be a part of it. Which fit nicely in line with his push. We all know the kind of wrestler Shawn Michaels is, and we know he is versatile. We know he can be flying off the walls and get hardcore at the same time. I don't think he's a "stipulation tester" so much, rather that any gimmick match that he is in instantly becomes memorable.

If you don't believe me, try to think of other "firsts". the first "I Quit Match"? The first "Casket Match", the first "First Blood" match. Now think how this might change if it were Shawn Michaels in these matches.

I can already see the "Oh well he didn't come up with them" posters, and yes dear, you're right. No one is trying to say Shawn came up with the match on his own. But he was in the first televised matches of the type. And he won 3/4 of them as well. I'm sure the original poster was asking WHY that was. While most of these weren't the first ever of their type, they were the first most people had seen.

Shawn can make anything look great - especially when it comes to the Ladder, Iron Man and HiaC matches. His first are seen as legendary, almost compulsary viewing for new fans. The Elimination Chamber only counts slightly, as with such a large amount of participants everyone had more of an equal role. He can have a great match with anyone, and in any situation. He's versatile in the ring as well as exciting, which is rare, or was at the time of these matches. Shawn will always be remembered for these 'first' matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back