• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shawn Michaels In ring action at Wrestlemania 30?

Whenever Shawn Michaels pops up on WWE television, which happens every once in a while, the question of if he's going to return to the ring always pops up. There's always speculation among fans, which is sometimes driven by stories on the dirtsheets that report "some" feel that he could make a return to the ring or that there are rumors about this or that, etc. The answer has always turned out to be an emphatic no. Michaels has said himself on numerous occasions that he's content with his career, where he left it and with his place in the world.

That being said, the rumors & gossip mills are going about even more so since his appearance on Raw this past Monday. With it looking more and more unlikely that The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin won't be part of WrestleMania XXX, it's possible that WWE could ask HBK to have some sort of role as a special attraction. I have a feeling that WWE will be going for an especially big feel for WM if for no other reason than the fact it's the 30th one.

If WWE was hoping to have a special attraction for WM, having HBK come out of retirement for one night only to wrestle might be an inducement for some to purchase the show, depending on the circumstances. HBK looks good and healthy, he looks like he can still go in there and get it done at 48 years of age. The key word in that sentence, however, is "looks" and he might have a whole bunch of health problems that we don't know about. There's a factor of how much ring rust he has and working out a schedule in which he can get himself back into ring shape while he's busy with whatever other projects he has going on.

Barring all of that, if he's healthy, can get himself back into ring shape and do so without screwing up any other business deals he has going on; then there's only one real question left to answer: who he'd face at WrestleMania XXX. Some likely candidates in my eyes are:

The Undertaker - Taker is the guy who retired Michaels in the first place after they delivered two all time classic matches at WrestleMania 25 and 26. While I'm sure some people would like to see Taker vs. Michaels III, I think it'd be something of a waste personally. They've gone down that road and IF Taker's streak was ended by HBK coming back to wrestle for just one night, it'd feel anti-climatic, especially so since I don't think most people would believe a third match would have any different result. Also, going back to that well 4 years after being retired by the same man at the same event would feel a bit lazy to me.

John Cena - Whenever a top match at WrestleMania is discussed, Cena is always someone who has to be considered. Cena & Michaels had a great feud back in 2007 and the 60+ minute match they had on Raw in late April of that year was a classic. Still, as with Taker, it's a road that we've seen Michaels go down before. If there's one problem that Cena has had the past several years, it's finding fresh situations to put him in. He's been a top dog so consistently for so long that it only gets harder & harder to find opponents that lend a fresh feel to the feud.

Brock Lesnar - If I'm not mistaken, Lesnar & HBK have never had a match. Barring the confrontations they had as part of the Triple H vs. Lesnar feud, they've had no interaction. HBK vs. Lesnar at WM XXX definitely has a sense of freshness about it, considering their lack of interaction with one another. Considering that Lesnar is very much a hired gun who might disappear completely after WM XXX and this would be a one time return for Michaels, it could generate uncertainty among fans as to who would walk out the winner. HBK would be the obvious sentimental favorite that fans would cheer for, especially him being a genuinely passionate wrestler, but Lesnar as a hired gun brought out to pop a rating & jack up a ppv buy has paid off for WWE all in all.

CM Punk - In some ways, Punk reminds me of HBK back in the day in the sense that he's got a genuine rebellious nature about him that rubs people the wrong way. Allegedly in real life, Punk can be a sarcastic & cocky smartass that enjoys confrontation. HBK was said to be very much the same way back in the 90s, albeit he came off a lot of the times as more of a prankster with some of his in-ring shenanigans than Punk has. I think these two could deliver dynamite promo segments and I've no doubt the match would be killer. The build to this match could be highly entertaining, which is especially important because I'm not sure if WWE could really generate the sort of speculation as to whether or not Michaels would win. Ultimately, this could come off as a "pass the torch" sort of moment when it's all said & done.

Daniel Bryan - The story for this match could be one that's very simple and embody the "pass the torch" moment: the master vs. the student. Using the fact that Michaels is a mentor to Bryan and was one of his first teachers could give this feud & match set up a personal touch. For me personally, I think the best way to go about this would be to keep both of them as babyfaces but for that intense pride & passion they both have to "get in the way" of their personal connection. HBK is still thought of as "Mr. WrestleMania" and "The Showstopper" and "The Main Event" by a lot of people; so that aspect could be played up where as Bryan has fought to establish himself as a top level player, yet is never satisfied and is plagued by the notion that he always has something to prove. Even though he's conquered guys like John Cena & Randy Orton, what better way to truly prove that he belongs at the top than by conquering not only the guy many consider to be the overall greatest of all time, but also conquering his mentor and the man who taught him "everything he knows"?

IF HBK made a return to the ring for WM XXX for one more match, I think these are the matches that could generate the most interest.

Shawn is my favorite wrestler of all time but I really would like him to just stay retired, he doesn't need the money as far as I know, he seems content in his life away from the business and he has nothing left to prove.

His career ended with a great match at the biggest show in the industry against WWE's other cornerstone of the post-Hogan era, no better way to finish up, he even got a kind of second send off when he reffed the HIAC between Taker and Triple H that was part of a storyline that played out over 4 years.

First of all, I (like many) truly believe Shawn is retired for good. However, if he were to ever come back for one more match, the only time and place I could see it happening would be at what could possibly be the biggest WrestleMania of all-time.

So I have that 1% of doubt that has crept in and made me think something happens at HIAC, such as Triple H ordering Shawn to be impartial or maybe he even slides the sledgehammer into the ring and tells him to use it on Bryan. Shawn refuses and Bryan wins clean or Shawn maybe even uses it on Orton.

Everyone knows Shawn trained DB so I think we're gonna see him in Bryan's corner at Survivor Series if he has yet another 1-on-1 with Orton. Triple H of course would be in the opposite corner. Things could start to escalate there.

I always said if Shawn DID wrestle one more time, the obvious opponent would be Triple H. Call me crazy, but I have that small suspicion that HIAC could get the ball rolling on his comeback.

I Agree with you if shawn micheals is going to have another match it will be against triple h even tho it might not happen I would mark out there feud is my fav feud I kinda hope shawn would be the heel this time around tho but I don't think that would happen if its going to happen it has to start at hell in the cell I can see shawn calling it down the middle and db becomes the new wwe champion and triple h comes out and turns on hbk to start this feud for wrestlemania

I've said all along it would end up Shawn w/ Vince vs Triple H w/ Stephanie. Shane or Stone Cold will referee this match. Shawn wins and retires Triple H for good.

Will be a great build IMO. Bryan will walk out champ, Shawn starts off Raw by saying "I did what's best for business, you've been doing what's best for Triple H"

Didn't HHH and Michaels agree to never compete again in front of JR 10 years ago? I feel awful if they lied to JR. ;)

I don't think so. I would like Shawn Michaels to compete again but gun to my head I don't think he ever will. It is Especially not likely to be set up at Hell In A Cell. There may be spark of dissention in the friendship but the match in itself would get dragged out on Raw and ultimately set up on Raw so that they get the most eyes on the agreement.

Regardless, if the WWE has you speculating that something interesting like this is going to happen at HIAC it's a good thing because it means you are more likely to buy the gimmick PPV that has a three week build and three-peat main event. But no, I don't think he's going to wrestle again. He's too busy devoting himself to something bigger, his kids arts and crafts bracelets.

This is so obviously setting up for HHH vs Shawn Michaels at next year's WrestleMania. I think they want HHH to be in that Undertaker role of wrestling once a year during the federation's biggest event. It probably would be an ok match. I just hate the buildup we'd have to live thru between now and then.

Irony of ironies would be to have HHH vs Shawn at WrestleMania and have Taker ref it.

As much as I would like to see Shawn return to the ring, I don't think he should. HBK already returned once from what was thought to be a career ending back injury and gave us another decade of world class performances, and even in his final match against Undertaker, he was still one of the best in-ring performers in the business.

Now, I have no doubt that HBK can still go, and could still steal the show if he wanted to, I just don't see the need for him to come back. He gave the fans everything for so many years, and had a perfect way to go out, ALMOST ending the streak at WrestleMania. It's nice to see a wrestler actually sticking to his retirement, and HBK seems happy with how his life is now. I would hate to see him come back even for one match and not be the same, he doesn't need to do it. He shouldn't be another Flair, where 1 comeback match ends up with another run and we watch his abilities lessen every time he comes out.

Stay retired Shawn, and thank you for the memories and the amazing matches over the years.

You don't mess with a storybook ending. The obvious example for pro sports would be Michael Jordan returning to the Washington Wizards after winning his sixth championship, and more recently in pro wrestling, Ric Flair going to TNA after his grand Wrestlemania 24 and post Wrestlemania 24 send-off.

Michaels is already a Hall Of Famer, he had a great Wrestlemania main event with Taker for his final match, and he's still praised as one of the all-time greats. Leave the memories alone, Shawn.

If he does come back to wrestle at Wrestlemania. I would have to pick Triple H because of the story going right now with Randy Orton vs Daniel Bryan and how the outcome could be that Daniel Bryan possibly wins the WWE Championship.

HBK for sure will be at WM 30 and i am leaning towards yes he will be in action. I know WWE would want it and if its the right set up i bet Shawn would be up for it. If it were to happen i would think the more likely set up would be HBK vs HHH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back