Serious Signings for TNA

Personally, I'd rather they go that route. But again, I understand why the folks in the front office feel otherwise. That's all I'm saying here. I get what they see in ADR, even if I don't personally see it myself. They are probably operating under the assumption that there's still an unaware audience out there up for grabs from that WWE "universe" who aren't watching and may because someone like ADR shows up.

EVERY wrestling promotion with TV operates under that assumption. Because they have to. It's the only justification for their existence. Lucha Underground, for all their efforts to position themselves as an extreme WWE alternative, still buys ads during RAW and signed Chavo, Del Rio, Morrison, want Mysterio, etc. The two go hand in hand.

The Jim Cornette theory that there are legions of wrestling fans just sitting on the sidelines waiting for some golden age wrestling promotion to emerge is a fantasy. If you can't grab WWE viewers to watch something else on a different night, then TNA/ROH/Lucha/GFW might as well all pack it up and go home.

Have to disagree, IDR. ROH is in the better position right now because they've effectively used bigger names to build their guys, and they've continually built new guys over the last decade to replace those lost. TNA has done a sterling job with guys like EC3, Rockstar Spud, Bram, but they could use guys like Taylor, Bennett, etc... who have a level of indie recognizability and security in they're not going to the 'E any time soon to keep the roster feeling fresh and keep momentum going rather than going back to guys like Dreamer, Rhino, etc...

TNA has had foreign veterans for years on end that barely gave them momentum, with guys like Hogan, Nash, Hall, any of the guys Bischoff brought in like Venis, Dreamer and the ECW nostalgia run, etc... Even Jeff Hardy couldn't come through, though of course he had serious problems from the get-go.

Er... Mr. Anderson? Tyrus? Tommy Dreamer and Rhino fall under ECW. Their entire commentary team, if you count non-wrestlers who came from bigger companies.

I don't quite disagree, they've got a decent roster put together. It just doesn't feel that way or come off as such to many people, especially when a chunk of the roster has been there for such a long time and have pretty much done everything they possibly could. The overexposure isn't as bad as the 'E, but it is there for guys like Young, Roode, Joe, Ki, Angle, etc...

Their ENTIRE commentary team ... of two people.

And I don't see Mr.Anderson, Rhino and Dreamer anywhere, do you? I also don't see Tyrus in a bigger role than an ornament and occasional beatdown giver.

You missed a straw right over there. Reach it before its plummets to its early demise.

Their ENTIRE commentary team ... of two people.

And I don't see Mr.Anderson, Rhino and Dreamer anywhere, do you? I also don't see Tyrus in a bigger role than an ornament and occasional beatdown giver.

You missed a straw right over there. Reach it before its plummets to its early demise.
... They're on the roster page, so I'm assuming they're still employed by TNA. Though King Mo and Garrett Bischoff are also there and if that was the case I'd be shocked. Well, Tommy isn't on from looking in, but you can hardly say "They haven't been on all of two episodes, therefore they're no longer in the company".

Oddly, Willie Urbina is off the roster page, which means Hector is working solo for the Spanish commentary? And I was also counting Tenay. And hell, Hemme and Borash, though they're of course far better known for their TNA runs.

So yeah, hardly a straw-point, just pointing out some people you missed.

Most B and C level talents are hedging their bets till Jarrett fills out his GFW plans more. Someone like a Drew Galloway is going to be a major player, because ICW will likely be a player... Sure they are involved in the upcoming TNA tour but they won't be signing any exclusivity deals... Grado V Al Snow is worth advertising locally but Drew isn't on the show... that's telling.... when GFW starts I can see Drew being the "British/ICW" representative in their title tourney and the losing finalist.

TNA's issue at the moment is that for most it is a "step down" too far if they were ever a major WWE player now compared to even a year ago... If someone like Edge saw it as "bush leauge" before (and remember his best pal spent YEARS there, so he'd have a good idea if he ever wanted to go there or not already) then it REALLY is now. I think they are doing the right thing by approaching these guys but actually signing reliable, solid talents who are either committed to the cause, willing to try for a year and those who feel the "owe" something to TNA like Spud etc...

At this point I don't truly believe there is a "big name" they can get of the calibre you're thinking... unless they think REALLY outside the box, like Mike Tyson/98/WWE thinking... Chael Sonnen would be someone of that level/thinking but again, could they pay him enough. Tyson himself would be far too old now but there are a few boxers out there they could go for, perhaps go for the WWE route of trying for a relatively big name NFL player like Shawn Merriman. After all Ron Simmons, Vader, Lex Luger, Brian Pillman... all these guys started outside the WWE system in the NFL and flourished because they weren't centerpieces in the WWE but just allowed to learn, TNA could offer that.. they've tried all this before of course but no where someone "leaves the ego" at the door and just goes for it... or on a redemption kick... It's too soon but in a year or two, why not someone like Ray Rice? If a convicted rapist could turn WWE's fortunes around then why not Rice help TNA with the controversy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back