• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Semi Finals: Tastycles versus Mustang Sally

Who Wins?

• Tastycles

• Mustang Sally

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
An interesting contest will be fought to a finish between two of the finest wrestling non-spam posters in the history of the forum. Tastycles is one of the old guard, a former moderator of multiple sections and is really tall. His opponent, a poster who is a main-stay attraction all over the boards. An who is also a girl. Who was got enough in the locker to take the final victory on the road to the final?

Winner advances to the Tournament Final

Polls close 2 days from now!

Mustang Sally all the way. All due respect to Tastycles, but Sally is one of my all time favorites. Still hoping to see two of my favorites face off in the Finals.

I don't return Sally's affections nearly as much as she gives them to me, which is an atrocity made worse by the fact that I've voted against her more times than for her. Which is not fair considering she's faced a horde of WZCW's finest, along with some of my all time personal favorites. And those were all tough decisions. She's an excellent poster and deserves to go this far and to the finals if she makes it.

But I have to stand by my convictions. Tasty is still one of the posters I look up to and whose opinions I respect more than anyone. Plus he's improved as an RP'er and I have to give him props for his recent title win and for making me a believer, as honestly he wasn't really on my radar before.

I reckon if we band together with Gelg and some others we could win one of the old school guys the tournament next year.

There are far worse people I could have lost to. Decent poster, but far more importantly a side cent human being and having been eliminated last time by a racist on the first round, I feel a sense of redemption in losing to someone who has something interesting to say that's worth listening to this time around.

Well done Sally, good luck in the final.

Life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey. The Tastycles may be out of juice now, but the number of asses it slapped against in its youth is what matters.

There's a huge amount of people who are much stupider than me. There's a smaller but still huge amount of people who are much smarter than me. A man whose name is Tastycles - Tastycles - is one of the latter.

Pity the cards fell the way they did - I'd have preferred to see Ech vs Sal & Tasty vs KB as I think both battles may have been much closer. Having said that, I'm a mark for Sally getting her due and winning the whole shebang and I'm really looking forward to seeing if the poster who best represents decency around these parts can overcome the evils of KB's bribery shenanigans.

“I’ve been fightin’ crime all my life but let’s not confuse crime with committing a sin. You can’t legislate morality.” Sheriff Ed Earl, Best Little ****ehouse In Texas...

except in the democracy of WZ, we can, by voting for Mustang Sally.

There's a huge amount of people who are much stupider than me. There's a smaller but still huge amount of people who are much smarter than me.

1. Replace amount with number. The word amount relates to quantities of things that are measured in bulk; number to things that can be counted.
2. Replace huge with large because (a) huge is too colloquial, and (b) huge emphasises something abnormally large, and its usage would be an exaggeration in this regard, judging by the errors you have made.
3. "Stupid" basically means an unintelligent person. "Stupider" therefore means a more unintelligent person. "Much stupider than me" seems to suggest that you are a stupid person too, and you are comparing his/their stupidity with yours. "Less intelligent than me" sounds better, doesn't it?
Not trying to be a douche; just didn't enjoy the paradox, so to speak.

1. Replace amount with number. The word amount relates to quantities of things that are measured in bulk; number to things that can be counted.
2. Replace huge with large because (a) huge is too colloquial, and (b) huge emphasises something abnormally large, and its usage would be an exaggeration in this regard, judging by the errors you have made.
3. "Stupid" basically means an unintelligent person. "Stupider" therefore means a more unintelligent person. "Much stupider than me" seems to suggest that you are a stupid person too, and you are comparing his/their stupidity with yours. "Less intelligent than me" sounds better, doesn't it?
Not trying to be a douche; just didn't enjoy the paradox, so to speak.

1) No it doesn't. Amount is a direct synonym of quantity and is perfectly valid when used in this content, no matter the level of pedantry attempted.

2) Wrong again. 'Huge' comes from an Old French term which just meant extremely big. Contemporary usage does not imply abnormality in any way which explains why a) the phrase 'abnormally huge' is considered lexically appropriate and b) why the OED entry does not contain any reference to abnormality when defining the word.

3) That's not how comparatives work. That's not even close to how comparatives work. A comparative compares the state of two things, but does not imply the isolated status of either item in question. I can happily say that Siberia is warmer than Antarctica without implying judgement regarding the temperature of either location.

Literary pedantry should be accompanied by an appropriately sized linguistic penis to back it up.

1) No it doesn't. Amount is a direct synonym of quantity and is perfectly valid when used in this content, no matter the level of pedantry attempted.

2) Wrong again. 'Huge' comes from an Old French term which just meant extremely big. Contemporary usage does not imply abnormality in any way which explains why a) the phrase 'abnormally huge' is considered lexically appropriate and b) why the OED entry does not contain any reference to abnormality when defining the word.

3) That's not how comparatives work. That's not even close to how comparatives work. A comparative compares the state of two things, but does not imply the isolated status of either item in question. I can happily say that Siberia is warmer than Antarctica without implying judgement regarding the temperature of either location.

Literary pedantry should be accompanied by an appropriately sized linguistic penis to back it up.

L O Fucking L
You are still the man Gelgarin.

You know who isn't "the man"?

That's right: Sally. Because she's not a man, but she is awesome.

As per every round: Vote Sally!

1) No it doesn't. Amount is a direct synonym of quantity
Maybe, but their usage is different. Reference-http://www.grammar-monster. com/mobile/easily_confused/amount_quantity_and_number.htm
and is perfectly valid when used in this content, no matter the level of pedantry attempted.
No it isn't. Reference- http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/amount.html CTRL+F to the part where it says "The most common mistake of this kind is to refer to an “amount” of people instead of a “number” of people. " Also, http://www.grammar-monster.com/mobile/lessons/singular_ plural_number.htm I actually did a bit of research before posting the previous message, just to make sure I wasn't misinformed.

2) Wrong again.
I wasn't wrong, you were.

'Huge' comes from an Old French term which just meant extremely big. Contemporary usage does not imply abnormality in any way which explains why a) the phrase 'abnormally huge' is considered lexically appropriate and b) why the OED entry does not contain any reference to abnormality when defining the word.
My apologies for using the term 'abnormal'. However, I have never seen any usage of 'abnormally huge'; searching the term on Google too did not return favourable results. 'Abnormally large', on the other hand, is quite common. Also, the word "large" is formally used more often alongside "number."

3) That's not how comparatives work. That's not even close to how comparatives work. A comparative compares the state of two things, but does not imply the isolated status of either item in question.
The suggestion or implication is definitely there in many cases, especially when using the comparative form of a negative personality adjective like stupid. If we say "Stephen Hawking is much stupider than Albert Einstein," it may suggest to a person unaware of the two, that two stupid people are being talked about.

I can happily say that Siberia is warmer than Antarctica without implying judgement regarding the temperature of either location.
Yes you can, but it sounds much better if you say "Siberia is less colder than Antarctica." And this is something I said in the previous message too, about one sounding better than the other. Let's take the sentence "GSB's children are uglier than GSB" as an example. If you happily think this doesn't imply any judgement on either GSB or his kids, then I guess there is no point in debating further. In fact, there is no point in debating further regardless.

Grammar arguments?

tumblr_ln6brzV4Rq1qcpqfb.gif

Can we get back to the Sally / Tasty shows of love please?

Absolutely. Sorry for the interruption.
Btw, if he still proves me wrong, I'm gonna say that my brother was using my account.:shrug:

Well. I think this is appropriate here.

[youtube]13FV1GaA20I[/youtube]

[youtube]VFEEa-jibhs[/youtube]

[youtube]Wa7TvxC2rgA[/youtube]

[youtube]0Y4zxcSuwlI[/youtube]

[youtube]8HpC4R-JKZ8[/youtube]

Maybe, but their usage is different. Reference-http://www.grammar-monster. com/mobile/easily_confused/amount_quantity_and_number.htm

Counter reference: a dictionary which tells you what words mean.

Oxford
NOUN
A quantity of something, especially the total of a thing or things in number, size, value, or extent:

Collins
NOUN
1) extent; quantity; supply
2) the total of two or more quantities; sum
3) the full value, effect, or significance of something
4) a principal sum plus the interest on it, as in a loan

Websters (Websters is shit, but these things look better in threes)
NOUN
a : the total number or quantity.
b : the quantity at hand or under consideration <has an enormous amount of energy>

No it isn't. Reference- http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/amount.html CTRL+F to the part where it says "The most common mistake of this kind is to refer to an &#8220;amount&#8221; of people instead of a &#8220;number&#8221; of people. " Also, http://www.grammar-monster.com/mobile/lessons/singular_ plural_number.htm I actually did a bit of research before posting the previous message, just to make sure I wasn't misinformed.

I didn't do any research, unless you count a qualification from Cambridge University allowing me to teach English grammar, three years of experience teaching proficiency level grammar and six months of admittedly half arsed preparatory study for an MA in Applied Linguistics. *Violently ejaculates ego all over the keyboard*

Now impressive as cribbing half a paragraph off the internet is, you've failed to understand the rule (which does not infact exist, but we'll allow that to slide) that you are quoting. Actually, you've failed to understand a number of fundamentals of how language works - but I suspect you've done that intentionally in the name of pedantry, so I'll intentionally ignore that and meet you on your own battleground.

You are partially correct; amount is favored for uncountable and unquantifiable nouns - but what you have missed is that this rule is only fixed when referencing rigidly determined quantities - typically those that are minimal or known.

To summarize, if I were to reference "the amount of legs on a horse" then that would clearly be inaccurate, and would set off warning bells in the head of any English speaker. "The amount of people watching TV right now" does not set off the same warnings and would be accepted in common parlance, since the quantity is essentially undefinable. To take it a step further, "The amount of bacteria in your kitchen" is in fact prefered parlance for the scientifically minded, in spite of the fact that bacteria is clearly a plural and countable noun. Since the number of bacteria in most circumstances in undefined and unknowable, amount becomes perfectly acceptable.

Now we run Sam's original comment through these two tests. Was he referencing a large number? Yes he was, he even prefixed it with the word "huge". Was the number he was referencing unknowable? Slightly more ambiguous, but yeah, pretty much. Two for two, making his usage of amount over number acceptable from the perspective of grammatical pedantry.

Obviously an actual linguist doesn't apply these tests, which is why grammar nazidom is inhabited exclusively by people who don't understand how language works and think black people are using auxiliary verbs "incorrectly" when they allow ebonic tendencies into their vernacular.

In other words, disagree with anything I say and you're a racist.

My apologies for using the term 'abnormal'. However, I have never seen any usage of 'abnormally huge'; searching the term on Google too did not return favourable results. 'Abnormally large', on the other hand, is quite common. Also, the word "large" is formally used more often alongside "number."

You were close before. This one is utter nonsense.

The Oxford Dictionary of collocations lists 'large' and 'huge' alongside both 'number' and 'amount'. I'm not going to confirm because they're in a box on the other side of the room, but so does every other reputable dictionary of collocations.

Since the lexis dictionaries are accessible without having to strain my lung capacity...

Oxford
ADJECTIVE

Extremely large; enormous:

Collins
Adjective

extremely large in size, amount, or scope

Websters
ADJECTIVE

very large : very great in size, amount, or degree

So it means what Sam intended it to mean, and collocates with the word Sam used it alongside. You have no argument here.

The suggestion or implication is definitely there in many cases, especially when using the comparative form of a negative personality adjective like stupid. If we say "Stephen Hawking is much stupider than Albert Einstein," it may suggest to a person unaware of the two, that two stupid people are being talked about.

Not grammatically it doesn't. It's a comparative structure, not an implicative structure. If I make the sentence "You're an idiot" (legitimate example, not a cheap dig, I don't think you're an idiot) then the implication is that I consider myself smarter than you - but the sentence does not say that. You cannot attach an implicit meaning to a sentence and then claim inaccuracy of the sentence based upon that. You could perhaps argue inelegancy (though in this case you'd have little ground to stand on there either) but not inaccuracy as you attempted to.

A comparative simply defines the relative state of two nouns. It does not, in a grammatical sense, attach any measurable degree of any quality to either one of them.

In the case we're discussing, it doesn't even attach an implicit meaning. A eight year old child could glean from Sam's post that he probably wasn't endeavoring to call himself stupid, since the entire fucking sentence in question runs contrary to that. If you thought he was then I'd have to revise my earlier assessment of you. I doubt you do, I think you're attempting pedantry for the purpose of dickishness - but if you're deliberately lowering your IQ to sub critical levels in the name of finding an error, then you're doing pedantry wrong.

Yes you can, but it sounds much better if you say "Siberia is less colder than Antarctica." And this is something I said in the previous message too, about one sounding better than the other. Let's take the sentence "GSB's children are uglier than GSB" as an example. If you happily think this doesn't imply any judgement on either GSB or his kids, then I guess there is no point in debating further. In fact, there is no point in debating further regardless.

I'm going to assume that you got distracted by something and didn't actually intend to type "less colder". And the question of "sounds better" is immaterial to the debate. Poetry is, almost by definition, subjective in nature - and as such marking something as incorrect or inappropriate on these grounds is a meaningless waste of time.

***​

Whilst I'm on a roll; I'll give "the talk", because CM Punk's grammar slam gives me a nice opening.

CM Punk is actually inaccurate when he discusses the issue of literally vs figuratively. He may have been partially accurate at the time of filming, though as memory serves he was not.

If you look literally up in the majority of contemporary dictionaries you will see it listed as a hyperbolic auto-antonym (a word that means the opposite of itself such as dust, sanction or resign). This is because that is how the word is most frequently used in contemporary parlance, and this is what those who attempt to be pedantic about grammar or lexis most commonly misunderstand.

The rules of grammar and lexis exist not to dictate how language is to be used, but to attempt to explain how language is used currently. Unless you're speaking Esperanto then your language predates its rules by hundred of years, and the rules have changed over time as the language has.

If something is accepted and understood common parlance, and doesn't leave room for misunderstanding then it is accurate use of the English language, because that's how language works. Being pedantic about a sentence you understood perfectly well, and suspect everyone else also understood perfectly well, simply doesn't make sense outside of the context of trolling.

The 'literally' example left a slightly bad taste in my mouth since I felt it failed one of the prescribed tests, but contemporary lexis outvoted me by a ratio of 335000000:1, so I guess I was literally on fire in this thread.

Counter reference: a dictionary which tells you what words mean.

Oxford
NOUN
A quantity of something, especially the total of a thing or things in number, size, value, or extent:

Collins
NOUN
1) extent; quantity; supply
2) the total of two or more quantities; sum
3) the full value, effect, or significance of something
4) a principal sum plus the interest on it, as in a loan

Websters (Websters is shit, but these things look better in threes)
NOUN
a : the total number or quantity.
b : the quantity at hand or under consideration <has an enormous amount of energy>

I didn't do any research, unless you count a qualification from Cambridge University allowing me to teach English grammar, three years of experience teaching proficiency level grammar and six months of admittedly half arsed preparatory study for an MA in Applied Linguistics. *Violently ejaculates ego all over the keyboard*

Now impressive as cribbing half a paragraph off the internet is, you've failed to understand the rule (which does not infact exist, but we'll allow that to slide) that you are quoting. Actually, you've failed to understand a number of fundamentals of how language works - but I suspect you've done that intentionally in the name of pedantry, so I'll intentionally ignore that and meet you on your own battleground.

You are partially correct; amount is favored for uncountable and unquantifiable nouns - but what you have missed is that this rule is only fixed when referencing rigidly determined quantities - typically those that are minimal or known.

To summarize, if I were to reference "the amount of legs on a horse" then that would clearly be inaccurate, and would set off warning bells in the head of any English speaker. "The amount of people watching TV right now" does not set off the same warnings and would be accepted in common parlance, since the quantity is essentially undefinable. To take it a step further, "The amount of bacteria in your kitchen" is in fact prefered parlance for the scientifically minded, in spite of the fact that bacteria is clearly a plural and countable noun. Since the number of bacteria in most circumstances in undefined and unknowable, amount becomes perfectly acceptable.

Now we run Sam's original comment through these two tests. Was he referencing a large number? Yes he was, he even prefixed it with the word "huge". Was the number he was referencing unknowable? Slightly more ambiguous, but yeah, pretty much. Two for two, making his usage of amount over number acceptable from the perspective of grammatical pedantry.

Obviously an actual linguist doesn't apply these tests, which is why grammar nazidom is inhabited exclusively by people who don't understand how language works and think black people are using auxiliary verbs "incorrectly" when they allow ebonic tendencies into their vernacular.

In other words, disagree with anything I say and you're a racist.

You were close before. This one is utter nonsense.

The Oxford Dictionary of collocations lists 'large' and 'huge' alongside both 'number' and 'amount'. I'm not going to confirm because they're in a box on the other side of the room, but so does every other reputable dictionary of collocations.

Since the lexis dictionaries are accessible without having to strain my lung capacity...

Oxford
ADJECTIVE

Extremely large; enormous:

Collins
Adjective

extremely large in size, amount, or scope

Websters
ADJECTIVE

very large : very great in size, amount, or degree

So it means what Sam intended it to mean, and collocates with the word Sam used it alongside. You have no argument here.

Not grammatically it doesn't. It's a comparative structure, not an implicative structure. If I make the sentence "You're an idiot" (legitimate example, not a cheap dig, I don't think you're an idiot) then the implication is that I consider myself smarter than you - but the sentence does not say that. You cannot attach an implicit meaning to a sentence and then claim inaccuracy of the sentence based upon that. You could perhaps argue inelegancy (though in this case you'd have little ground to stand on there either) but not inaccuracy as you attempted to.

A comparative simply defines the relative state of two nouns. It does not, in a grammatical sense, attach any measurable degree of any quality to either one of them.

In the case we're discussing, it doesn't even attach an implicit meaning. A eight year old child could glean from Sam's post that he probably wasn't endeavoring to call himself stupid, since the entire fucking sentence in question runs contrary to that. If you thought he was then I'd have to revise my earlier assessment of you. I doubt you do, I think you're attempting pedantry for the purpose of dickishness - but if you're deliberately lowering your IQ to sub critical levels in the name of finding an error, then you're doing pedantry wrong.

I'm going to assume that you got distracted by something and didn't actually intend to type "less colder". And the question of "sounds better" is immaterial to the debate. Poetry is, almost by definition, subjective in nature - and as such marking something as incorrect or inappropriate on these grounds is a meaningless waste of time.

***​

Whilst I'm on a roll; I'll give "the talk", because CM Punk's grammar slam gives me a nice opening.

CM Punk is actually inaccurate when he discusses the issue of literally vs figuratively. He may have been partially accurate at the time of filming, though as memory serves he was not.

If you look literally up in the majority of contemporary dictionaries you will see it listed as a hyperbolic auto-antonym (a word that means the opposite of itself such as dust, sanction or resign). This is because that is how the word is most frequently used in contemporary parlance, and this is what those who attempt to be pedantic about grammar or lexis most commonly misunderstand.

The rules of grammar and lexis exist not to dictate how language is to be used, but to attempt to explain how language is used currently. Unless you're speaking Esperanto then your language predates its rules by hundred of years, and the rules have changed over time as the language has.

If something is accepted and understood common parlance, and doesn't leave room for misunderstanding then it is accurate use of the English language, because that's how language works. Being pedantic about a sentence you understood perfectly well, and suspect everyone else also understood perfectly well, simply doesn't make sense outside of the context of trolling.

The 'literally' example left a slightly bad taste in my mouth since I felt it failed one of the prescribed tests, but contemporary lexis outvoted me by a ratio of 335000000:1, so I guess I was literally on fire in this thread.

I'm so turned on right now.

N-no homo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back