• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Selling the Network

Max Headroom

The Master of Disaster
After just recently making a post in a thread about having a more mature-style PPV in the WWE, it got me thinking: "What are some shows/ideas that could help sell the Network better?"

In the thread, I basically suggested that having a weekly, late-night, more adult-oriented wrestling show could help entice new older viewers to subscribe. Nothing too crazy, but something that clearly differs itself from what we generally see. Maybe have it come on from 11-12 Tuesday night or something? I don't know their current schedule because I live in Canada and do not have Rogers.

But what are some other shows that they could put up to make the Network worth buying? Not older stuff from their archives, but full-on new shows you can only see via the Network. Maybe a "Cribs" style show, where the wrestlers give you an inside look of their home & how their lifestyle is outside the ring.

Another idea could be a full-on WWE anime. Have certain wrestlers play the antagonists, and others play the protagonists. Throw in a power-boosting object (akin to the Sacred Jewel shards, the Philosopher's Stone, etc.) that the antagonists are trying to get in order to become extremely powerful/immortal/maybe rule the World. Or have them already be in possession of it, plunging the World into darkness, and the heroes have to try to stop them to make the World a better place. Lots of fighting, some really emotional stories, and a few character kill-offs to really get the feels going.

My final pitch for now could be a fitness show, where each episode consists of a wrestler going through his/her usual work-out routine. They could show you what they do, how to properly do all of it, how often they do each given routine, what they eat to keep in shape, etc.

What do my fellow wrestling fans think? We need to sell the Network with some original content. How do you feel about these ideas? Do you have any of your own? Discuss.

The problem with this "Network" is that they do not have enough content for one to want to spend $9.99 on. Last night, I watched the epic Fire Match between Carlos Colon and Hercules Ayala. Where did I watch this match? YouTube. Look, if Vince was not such an egomaniac, and people did not perceive him as such, he might be looking at 2 million subscribers right now. You need more content? Why not offer airtime to the various Indy promotions out there. Hell you can even offer Dixie Carter Friday Night for Impact if she pays the fee. Show off Booker T's Turnbuckle Wrestling. Show OVW's programming. Offer the WWE Network as the one-stop shop for ALL you Pro Wrestling needs. And, even better, you can scout for new wrestlers by just turning on the PC. No need to send Regal to the middle of nowhere to catch Redneck Wrestling from Ma's General Store.

The problem is that WWE Network is a self-*********ory channel for Vince, and even if it means that the end result of letting some of these feds, and maybe even the Japanese feds in, will line his pockets and drive his shares up to $35 per, he will never allow it as he believes the WWE is the center of the wrestling universe.

And that is why people will not shell out $9.99 a month.

Generally speaking, original content comprised of "reality" based content is probably the way to go and is where WWE ultimately intends to go. At the same time, there's really only so much content that you can include on a network that's created by a pro wrestling company that will fit. For instance, I don't really see the WWE Network being able to field sitcoms or dramas because it's just too far out of the box and too expensive.

At the same time, the "reality show" content has to be something interesting. While this probably wouldn't be interesting, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing some of the WWE stars have an exercise show. People are curious as to how some of them stay in shape, so have a show that shows some of them demonstrating what their workouts consist of, proper form, nutrition, how many sets to do, etc.

They need more original content. They've actually done well with what they've made but I think they thought the big draw would be opening up the wrestling library, which was a mistake. They need to use the library to make original programming or tap in to old ideas they had.

If I were them I'd guarantee something like 6 hours of original content per day and also talk up the library. Couple of suggestions would be:

Reality show where we follow one superstar on the road as he travels show to show. Pick a midcarder like Kofi and show what life is really like as a WWE wrestler.

WWE tweet in show. Have a host and a panel of ex or current wrestlers respond to questions from the WWE universe.

Bring back Prime Time the panel show but have it as a scouting show. Have older wrestlers talk about upcoming superstars and use footage from dark matches, the performance center and NXT.

Do the Monday Night Wars properly. By that I mean make a highlights video where you go through WCW and WWF month by month from 1995 to 2001 and show the main angles that were happening and show a few matches. For example, if January 1998 was the focus than you dedicate a two hour show to the highlights of Nitro and Raw with a few matches sprinkled in on top.

Bring back Josh Matthews and expand the Youtube show he had with Road Dogg in to a 30 minute weekly show

I agree with Comrade, they really could do some more one thing that I really liked comes from the old 24/7 on demand service WWE used to have the show was 'The Legends of Wrestling Roundtable' and it was a really cool insight into various topics more of those would be very cool.

I've also noticed that you can't really playlist anything which is kind of a bummer, you could really see the rise of WCW or the Attitude era or just go through every raw ever(once they add all the episodes) in a continuos playlist, or all the pay-per-views practically anything you want.

The biggest thing they can do overall to sell the network is to improve their current product. They need solid storylines from the top to the bottom of the card consistently on Raw and Smackdown.

Aside from that, they also need to consistently release old episodes of Raw and Smackdown in a chronological order. The episodes they have now are very sporadic in terms of original air date.

They also need to add Nitro and Thunder episodes also in a chronological order. WCW was better then the WWF for a significant period in the 90's. I want to re-watch that. episodes of Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, and Thunder are the meat between PPV's. Most of the storytelling happens in the time between major shows. It simply isn't as exciting to have every WWF/E and WCW PPV if I can't watch the weekly episodes building up to it. This was the biggest reason for me in purchasing the network. I was under the impression this was going to be the case.

Lastly, they definitely need more original "reality" based content. Someone suggested having cameras following a wrestler during travels. I like that idea. Perhaps do an hour long episode for each wrestler that follows each person for a week. Tough Enough was another show that I actually used to like watching and would be interested in seeing regular Joe's train to become a wrestler. An MTV Cribs style show featuring wrestlers houses would be cool too.

I would like to see WWE do more vintage programming. I would like to see a show like "From the WWE Vault" feature WWWF shows from the 1970's. "WWF Superstars" in episodic order. "Night at MSG" featuring MSG Shows going back to when they first starting airing shows. "World Championship Wrestling" the NWA TV show (omitting the WWF involvment episodes), "WCW Saturday Night" from the very beginning in chronological order and my personal creation "WWE Network Requests" where the fans can make requests for matches and do a 2 hour weekly episode of fan requests.

I am not a fan of "Reality TV" as I found Legends House to be very hoaky. It seemed very forced and not all that "real". I do though agree with the people here who are in favor of it and I am too as long as the theme is thought out. I like the idea of following a wrestler around for 1 week and offer a small piece of insight into who the performer really is.

The final thing I really enjoyed was that "Round Table" show they used to have. I am all for showing them in reruns and having more produced.

I would like to see WWE do more vintage programming. I would like to see a show like "From the WWE Vault" feature WWWF shows from the 1970's. "WWF Superstars" in episodic order. "Night at MSG" featuring MSG Shows going back to when they first starting airing shows. "World Championship Wrestling" the NWA TV show (omitting the WWF involvment episodes), "WCW Saturday Night" from the very beginning in chronological order and my personal creation "WWE Network Requests" where the fans can make requests for matches and do a 2 hour weekly episode of fan requests.

I am not a fan of "Reality TV" as I found Legends House to be very hoaky. It seemed very forced and not all that "real". I do though agree with the people here who are in favor of it and I am too as long as the theme is thought out. I like the idea of following a wrestler around for 1 week and offer a small piece of insight into who the performer really is.

The final thing I really enjoyed was that "Round Table" show they used to have. I am all for showing them in reruns and having more produced.

Everyone knows that "reality" TV is heavily scripted and controlled. unless it is a sporting or a live news event, nothing you see on TV is real. Regarding the old Championship Wrestling shows that used to be on at Midnight: I doubt many of those exist anymore. The WWWF was basically a 2-3 person operation. I doubt they archived the stuff. That in itself is sad because they had such nice vignettes and promos. One such event when WWWF "Commish" Willie Gilzenberg had to strip Chief Jay Strongbow of the tag straps after Billy White Wolf "broke his neck" in a match. Man, you saw the tears in Strongbow's eyes when he handed them over.

Like I said before, unless you want to relive the Attitude Era or the Invasion Era, there is no real reason to buy the Network. You can get the PPVs for free, you can watch the matches from yesteryear on YouTube. In essence, you are paying $9.99 to watch Superstars and NXT. Now, if the Titan Towers Gang cut a deal with Shimmer and Shine to have their content on WWE Network for a fee from both. The weekly shows from NJPW and AJPW, from CMLL, Many of the Indy promotions in the USA for a fee, then you would have a reason to buy the Network.

LOL, the WWE Network shows every PPV every month, which is a $30-$50 savings MONTHLY. How can anyone in their right minds claim that the WWE doesn't have enough content? NXT weekly, a monthly live PPV, and now the Monday Night Wars docu-series is coming out.

The Network doesn't need to change. Unrealistic demands need to change.

Edit: You can't watch the PPVs on Youtube, you can PIRATE the PPVs on Youtube, which is illegal and borderline immoral, because that's how the WWE Wrestlers earn their paychecks.

LOL, the WWE Network shows every PPV every month, which is a $30-$50 savings MONTHLY. How can anyone in their right minds claim that the WWE doesn't have enough content? NXT weekly, a monthly live PPV, and now the Monday Night Wars docu-series is coming out.

The Network doesn't need to change. Unrealistic demands need to change.

And, you can get the same PPVs for FREE on the internet, saving you even more money. You need to give a compelling reason to buy the Network. Paying $9.99 to watch Superstars and NXT will not cut it. Making the Network a "one-stop shop" for all your squared circle needs will.

Hey, if you don't mind stealing from the performers, more power to you. However, I'm advocating the least expensive LEGAL, MORAL, and ETHICAL way to watch PPVs.

The problem with this "Network" is that they do not have enough content for one to want to spend $9.99 on. Last night, I watched the epic Fire Match between Carlos Colon and Hercules Ayala. Where did I watch this match? YouTube. Look, if Vince was not such an egomaniac, and people did not perceive him as such, he might be looking at 2 million subscribers right now. You need more content? Why not offer airtime to the various Indy promotions out there. Hell you can even offer Dixie Carter Friday Night for Impact if she pays the fee. Show off Booker T's Turnbuckle Wrestling. Show OVW's programming. Offer the WWE Network as the one-stop shop for ALL you Pro Wrestling needs. And, even better, you can scout for new wrestlers by just turning on the PC. No need to send Regal to the middle of nowhere to catch Redneck Wrestling from Ma's General Store.

The problem is that WWE Network is a self-*********ory channel for Vince, and even if it means that the end result of letting some of these feds, and maybe even the Japanese feds in, will line his pockets and drive his shares up to $35 per, he will never allow it as he believes the WWE is the center of the wrestling universe.

And that is why people will not shell out $9.99 a month.

Your 100% right, I'm paying the monthly fee, and its hard to find anything to watch on there. They don't add any content besides new weekly shows. They stopped adding ECW and WCCW months ago, heck its been weeks since any more Wrestlemania matches been added, and I don't care to see those. When you grew up watching all that stuff from WWE for 25+ years, I just don't care to see the PPV stuff again, and past those PPV's they have NOTHING.

Wrestling should sell a wrestling network. The product is already good (In the United States anyway) and they don't need any more of these gimmicky shows, although if they're cheap to produce and the WWE isn't banking on them as saviors I wouldn't object. People who aren't interested in wrestling enough to fork over $9.99 a month wont be swayed by a cartoon show or a reality show featuring wrestling talent.

Hey, if you don't mind stealing from the performers, more power to you. However, I'm advocating the least expensive LEGAL, MORAL, and ETHICAL way to watch PPVs.
The difference is that I am being real here. Be honest, how many PPVs, sans Mania, are worth paying even $9.99 for? Would you pay $9.99 for Night of Champions? Or, would you rather wait until Vince stops the knuckle shuffle and heavy breathing while his "Network" is on, and actually gets enough content that would COMMAND you spending $9.99 per month.

And, stop....please stop.....pretty please stop with this pontificating that if people watch the PPV for free that they are "stealing" from the performers. That horse left the barn years ago. You know and I know that if a PPV is offered on the 'net for free, that people would watch it. If 200k people watched SummerSlam on PPV, and 500K watched on the Network, there had to be around 4-5 MILLION that watched it online for free. That is the reality of the business. The RIAA understood that the hard way. So did Dana White. If Vince really gave a damn, He would have gotten millions in lawsuit money, and TNA and ROH would be the only wrestling companies with a National scope in existence today, as the WWE Universe would have turned on Vince.

So, I will ask it again: What does $9.99 a month get you other than the rights to watch Superstars and NXT?

And, you can get the same PPVs for FREE on the internet, saving you even more money. You need to give a compelling reason to buy the Network. Paying $9.99 to watch Superstars and NXT will not cut it. Making the Network a "one-stop shop" for all your squared circle needs will.

I can get free soda from the store if I simply walk out without paying for it. So yes, you can steal the majority of the content in piss poor quality. Or you can have it nicely organized and laid out for you. Not to to mention they're constantly adding content despite what they negative Nancy's are saying. You get the ppvs at an insanely reduced rate and all for just the price of one person's lunch at Wendy's.

The difference is that I am being real here. Be honest, how many PPVs, sans Mania, are worth paying even $9.99 for? Would you pay $9.99 for Night of Champions? Or, would you rather wait until Vince stops the knuckle shuffle and heavy breathing while his "Network" is on, and actually gets enough content that would COMMAND you spending $9.99 per month.

And, stop....please stop.....pretty please stop with this pontificating that if people watch the PPV for free that they are "stealing" from the performers. That horse left the barn years ago. You know and I know that if a PPV is offered on the 'net for free, that people would watch it. If 200k people watched SummerSlam on PPV, and 500K watched on the Network, there had to be around 4-5 MILLION that watched it online for free. That is the reality of the business. The RIAA understood that the hard way. So did Dana White. If Vince really gave a damn, He would have gotten millions in lawsuit money, and TNA and ROH would be the only wrestling companies with a National scope in existence today, as the WWE Universe would have turned on Vince.

So, I will ask it again: What does $9.99 a month get you other than the rights to watch Superstars and NXT?
It gets you legal, moral, and ethical viewing of all WCW, ECW, WWE PPVs in the past as well as every single current PPV. Your lack of empathy on the subject doesn't alter the fact that we live in a society where money is exchanged for goods and services, and taking those goods and services without exchanging money is illegal, immoral, and unethical.

In addition, it gets you countdowns, docu-series, Nitro episodes, and if people would stop stealing from the WWE by watching free streams, there would be a new Tough Enough season, as well as much more Reality driven entertainment.

BTW, we live in a demand-side economic society. If EVERYONE agreed to stop watching illegal streams, then there would be no market for it. SO, the consumer of the illegal streams is at fault here, just as much as those providing the illegal streams.

I am not going to discuss morality at length here when it comes to those who pirate PPVs. But I look at it like this, for years WWE was charging people fees in the double digits for PPVs at ONE A POP. Now what most people like myself would do is go to someone's house and chip in some money of my own along with four or five other friends. For instance, there were times I put in for one PPV what I would for a whole month of the WWE Network, so that 10 dollars I'd used to chip in for a PPV experience with a bunch of friends, I can now use that same 10 dollars and watch LIVE PPVs when they air as well as go back to the archives. Something that you can't do with a torrent. And those streams usually are VERY shitty and unreliable...and I've been on enough Facebook groups to know that when every asshole and his brother shares a link to one, it usually gets yanked and pulled down...for obvious reasons.

So for the PPVs alone, the WWE Network is probably one of your better deals, granted you have a six month commitment with the 9.99 option, but if you go with the 12.99 option you can cancel at anytime. Still 12.99 vs 50 bucks or more these days for a PPV, I say the deal is a better one.

After reading a lot of what people are saying on here about why they're knocking the network, all I can tell you is that you people bitch, piss, moan and outright complain all too much. Granted they still have stuff I want to see that they've yet to put up, but we we speak Monday Nitro episodes are showing up as of TONIGHT.

You people really should learn to just go with the current instead of always trying to swim against it, the WWE Network is still a very new thing, and I think once it hits its year mark, you will see how far along it'll have come. So for the pissers and moaners I say to you, f'n get over yourselves.

Personally I loved the idea of the network. And I still subscribe, mainly for NXT, Main Event, and the PPV's.

I try to watch one PPV a week (old ones), Impact, RAW, Smackdown, Superstars, Main Event, NXT, and the ROH show. So I get my wrestling fix, and then some, thanks to the network!

I do wish WWE would make it more like Netflix, it remembers where I stopped, etc, so I don't have such a problem with old shows. PPV's are 2-2:30 long, if I fall asleep at 1:15, why do I have to struggle to get back to that point?

9.99 isn't the issue, the issue is simply they need to market it to the old fans, the ones who have tuned out, not the ones that watch every week.

The difference is that I am being real here. Be honest, how many PPVs, sans Mania, are worth paying even $9.99 for?

Since the WWE Network Era has started, I'd believe that all 6 PPVs were worth at the very least the $9.99 that one would have to pay for the Network. Heck, 4 out of those 6 would've been worth the regular price of admission. For the time the WWE Network has been in existence, their PPV reputation has been very solid.

Would you pay $9.99 for Night of Champions?

Based off of the main event and the hype that's going to surround that match in the next three weeks alone, in a heartbeat.

I agree with you assessment that if people can get away with watching the PPVs for free they will do so. However, from a business standpoint, if you are one of those people, I believe that you've basically given up your right to complain about the direction that the WWE chooses to go. Why cater to an audience that still watches your product but won't contribute any money to it? It gives off the impression that you'll always be there with the company regardless while in the meantime, they make the fans who are paying happy, potentially getting even more money from them. In the business world, money talks and the WWE's no exception.

A guarantee that if you find something that you might like to watch, the words "This video is no longer available because its content violated [enter video website here]'s Terms of Service", discounted PPVs, documentaries that you would have a hard time finding on the other websites (and watching them safely) and those are cheaper than the DVDs, original content like extras before and after PPV shows, every PPV from the past from the WWE, WCW, and ECW. It's a lot of good stuff on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back