• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Season 2's Rookie Names

billm75

Getting Noticed By Management
So, we all know that the new "rookies" have some god-awful names. Lucky Cannon? Mike McGillicutty? Please....

I was thinking and it occurs to me that they're being given terrible names, not just so the WWE can trademark and own them so much, but so the rookies have to make their presence known and win over the fan base on their own without the assistance of "famous names" to help them along.

Face it, if Hulk Hogan had a son who wrestled, and merely had "the look", the minute he hit the ring, the crowds would be all over him because he's the son of the Hulkster. It wouldn't much matter if he was any good in the ring or on the mic. He'd get over with name recognition and bloodlines alone.

Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes, while they may be somewhat talented, in my opinion are both bland, and horrible on the mic. You can argue that point all day and won't change my opinion of them. I watch their matches and I'm unimpressed.

So, do you think the name changes are part of the overall plan to see if these guys can get over on their own with the WWE Universe? Maybe not the ONLY part to it, so don't call me names and say "it's all about da money". I'd like an honest debate on this one.

I think it is purely a trademark issue. If they did not want the rookies to get over for being second/third generation superstars they would not have said anything about it on NXT.
I am sure we are going to hear about their bloodline every week anyways. I think they should have used their real names, just mixed up the spelling.

So, we all know that the new "rookies" have some god-awful names. Lucky Cannon? Mike McGillicutty? Please....

They do indeed have some shitty names.

I was thinking and it occurs to me that they're being given terrible names, not just so the WWE can trademark and own them so much, but so the rookies have to make their presence known and win over the fan base on their own without the assistance of "famous names" to help them along.

THat works for Hennig, and Rotunda but nobody else. They're the only people from wrestling families. And yet, Lucky Cannon (Johnny Prime/Jon Emminger) has a ******ed new name as well. Cottonwood doesn't count. That was his FCW name.

Face it, if Hulk Hogan had a son who wrestled, and merely had "the look", the minute he hit the ring, the crowds would be all over him because he's the son of the Hulkster.

Yes they would.

[quote[It wouldn't much matter if he was any good in the ring or on the mic. He'd get over with name recognition and bloodlines alone.[/QUOTE]

Like David Otunga did. Looks and a hint of charisma get you a long way in WWE.

Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes, while they may be somewhat talented, in my opinion are both bland, and horrible on the mic. You can argue that point all day and won't change my opinion of them. I watch their matches and I'm unimpressed.

Farir enough. They're both roughly average but young and with lots of room to improve.

So, do you think the name changes are part of the overall plan to see if these guys can get over on their own with the WWE Universe?

no. I'm guessing this is more to make te season that little bit more 'entertaining'. You've got the hilarious Alex Riley and Miz, Kaval (who has a stick shoves so far up his ass you can see it when he speaks) paired with the highschool bitches of Lay-Cool, and of course the rediculous names.

Maybe not the ONLY part to it, so don't call me names and say "it's all about da money". I'd like an honest debate on this one.

Like I say, there's more to it than that, and if they wanted to trademark the names, they could have done it with less ******ed names.

You make a great point actually. And quite frankly, I would be fine with 2nd or 3rd generation superstars keeping their family names, but with different gimmicks. Randy Orton is nothing like "Cowboy" Bob. Cody Rhodes is nothing like Dusty Rhodes... neither is Goldust. Primo is not like Carlos Colon. They all have different gimmicks than their fathers, except for Ted DiBiase Jr. now, which I find horrible. In my opinion, Ted DiBiase Sr. seemed more fit for his gimmick and it seemed more natural than what he son is doing now.

Now, when you talk about 'trademarking'... I fail to see why they would want these nutty names as trademarks. I'd think WWE would come up with a better name, so that if they went to another company, they'd have to use a nuttier name. Lucky Cannon is just terrible. Michael McGillicutty is okay, but if his name was Joe Hennig, with a different gimmick, it'd be better. Titus O'Neal? Eli Cottonwood? What kind of name is that for a 7'1'' man? Husky Harris could be better.

Quite frankly, the best name for Season 2 of NXT is Alex Riley. Which makes sense because he's had the name for a while now. Kaval is different and works for him. Season 1 had much better 'trademark names' for the WWE... Justin Gabriel, Wade Barrett, Michael Tarver, Daniel Bryan. Hopefully, the names will be better for Season 3 of NXT.

Its odd that they have done this.
Season 1 they made it abundantly clear that Daniel Bryan was Bryan Danielson, then he more or less admitted it on NXT, but he wasnt used as Bryan Danielson.

This season they have guys known as outside wrestlers, Low Ki and Joe Hennig, but they dont use the names.

Are WWE honestly that scared of them going so they could be a huge star elsewhere if they get presented with their original names/characters? They came to WWE for the big stage, money, oppurtunity etc. Why would they be scared that TNA could snatch Bryan Danielson and have him as star of NXT?! The NXT audience is the same as iMPACT basically so what difference does it make? All they do is alienate/lose potential fans crossing over to see their progress because they think their guys are being treated stupidly.

Would ROH fans track Daniel Bryans progess on NXT? Seeing him lose to rookies every week! Or would they watch Bryan Danielson dishing out wrestling lessons.
Would old school fans watch with intrigue seeing Michael McGuilicutty? Or would they see Joe Hennig with more intrigue because Hennig makes you think Mr Perfect and the son of the legend is more interesting.

Theres a lot in the guys names that i think WWE misses.

I absolutely agree with the OP, Billm. I'm very annoyed that Cody Rhodes and Ted Debiase, Jr. essentially have gotten everywhere on name basis while neither are particularly good in the ring and neither would cut it if it weren't for their names (their mic skills have improved). Especially since neither are the stereotypical chiseled big men WWE prefers, it makes you wonder how many world titles Evan Bourne would have by now if he got to be billed as Evan Rhodes.

It isn't really fair that a guy as talented as Joe Hennig has to go by a name like Michael Mcgillicutty, but I believe talent will transcend a stupid name. Just look at how well Nick Nemeth is handling the handle of Dolph Ziggler. On the same token, Joe Hennig is one of few next-gen superstars that can actually live up to his family history, so why does he get robbed of his chance to use his family name when he's one of few who deserves to use it?

I was most impressed with Windham "Husky Harris" Rotunda of the four who debuted last night and he probably has the worst name of all. Honestly? Might as well call him Plus-Sized Pete.

I understand the trademarking, but making guys like Lucky Charms, Overweight Oliver, and Michael I-Love-Lucy-Reference have to work their way through stupid names in addition to all of the other obstacles in their way is a little unfair. Somewhere, Christopher Harris is feeling better about himself at any rate.

well im not really sure if they are wwe made names or they made their own names but husky harris sounds like a name wwe would make up they aint very good at making names for wrestlers look at austin when he started he was the ring master or somthing like that yeah that got him far in the begining of his wwe career

and on hennings son i like the fact they let us know it was his son so at least they aint trying to hide it same for irs son and hopfully they take their family name when they get to the big time thats if they make it as far as rhode and dibease go mic skills mediocre ring skills improved quite a bit after they was paired with orton and i think rhodes has one of the coolest finshers in wwe right now

Face it, if Hulk Hogan had a son who wrestled, and merely had "the look", the minute he hit the ring, the crowds would be all over him because he's the son of the Hulkster. It wouldn't much matter if he was any good in the ring or on the mic. He'd get over with name recognition and bloodlines alone.

Uhm...David Flair? Look at how well that worked out. I'm sure Hogan's son may get an initial great pop. I say may because I'm sure some of us remember the accident and the aftermath. However it would be up to Hogan's son, Nick, to sustain the momentum and prove he belongs. David Flair found this out the hard way.

I was wondering if the crappy names are going to play a role in the whole NXT storyline from RAW. The company giving you a shitty name might be a reason to be upset, however petty that may sound. Of course, when you include the beatdown they got...well it's just one more thing to piss the 2nd batch of rookies off.

Or the crappy names could kinda be the E's way of manipulating the voting. I'm not sure how many fans would want someone with a ridiculous name winning it all and getting a title shot and possibly being a future champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back