• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

School Shootings and Tragedies

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
So I was sitting in American History today. My teacher, who also teaches Current World Affairs, a class dicussing news events. One of the students in my class asked him about a question that was on the board for his CWA class. It was about the school shooting that happened yesterday, where two 8th Graders were shot. He mentioned it was just down the road from Columbine. I started talking about Columbine to a friend and she mentioned that the song Jeremy by Pearl Jam was about a true story. Now I'm not a P.J. follower but I knew that the song was pretty famous. So I researched the song and found out the song was about a sophmore from Richardson High School in Texas who committed suicide in front of his english class. After looking at that I went to the Columbine Wikipedia article, to see if I could find a link to the one that just happened down the road from there, and I found something about Holy Wood, the Marilyn Manson album. I never realized that album had so many lyrics that were connected in a way to the government, the media, and Columbine itself. I had picked out a few myself, but had never realized others. So discuss these things here, since my interest is piqued. I may start a Cigar Lounge thread soon.

True story, I was expelled from middle school because I was thought to be the next Columbine kid.

I was a senior during the Columbine situation, and it happened during our Senior Assassination game.

We were asked to stop, we didn't. The school began to suspend kids wearing trenchcoats to school, which led to walk outs from the students. Knee jerk reactions are never the way to go.

And as sly said, if the old gym teacher was allowed to paddle the asses of shit heads in school, we wouldn't have this shit going on now.

Corporal Punishment for the win. I know we used to go into our Gym Teachers office and sit in awe of the paddles he had hanging up. He'd tell us the story of how he used to swat people with it, and one was cracked. Thought it was the coolest damn thing in the world.

Teachers should never be allowed to strike their students.

When I have children I won't lay a hand on them. I was spanked maybe once or twice when I was a kid, and whatever I did to be punished I did it again. But when my skateboard was taken away you best believe I was on my best behavior. I'd like to raise my children to be intelligent enough to learn a lesson from losing privileges as opposed to learning a lesson from being struck like an animal. If the only option of discipline I have with my children is physical punishment, then I'm not raising my children right.

Can teachers hit students if students hit them first?

Grey area really...not technically, but I don't think anyone would fault a teacher for trying to defend him or her self.

I know that if a student was attacking me, and I truly felt threatened, I would put their ass on the ground in a heartbeat, and then let the chips fall where they may.

If I got fired, I could just sue for a hostile work environment or something. ;)

When I have children I won't lay a hand on them. I was spanked maybe once or twice when I was a kid, and whatever I did to be punished I did it again. But when my skateboard was taken away you best believe I was on my best behavior. I'd like to raise my children to be intelligent enough to learn a lesson from losing privileges as opposed to learning a lesson from being struck like an animal. If the only option of discipline I have with my children is physical punishment, then I'm not raising my children right.
And see, I disagree completely. Not that children can't be raised without spanking, but that spanking indicates a failure in parenting. Fear is the ultimate motivator...it keeps people doing right.

Everyone feels that way before they have kids. When you tell a toddler not to touch something about 100 times, and finally swat them on the wrist, they put two and two together.

And see, I disagree completely. Not that children can't be raised without spanking, but that spanking indicates a failure in parenting. Fear is the ultimate motivator...it keeps people doing right.

Hell has kept people acting right for milennia

The fear of eternal damnation is a big motivator.

Personally the South Park episode where Kyle decides not to be a Jew just in case Hell is real is great.

I don't disagree with how other parents choose to raise their children, I don't really care as it's none of my concern. Personally however, I feel teaching a lesson or issuing punishment in the form of hysical harm is below the level I wish my children to live by. When I think of striking a living being to punish them I think of a dog who has pissed on carpet. I think of a dog who has torn up your new shoes. The fear of pain is human, but the act of inflicting pain because one your children has disobeyed you feels devolved to me. I'm not a neanderthal, I can think on a level higher than beating fear into someone. Does fear work as an obedience tool? Yes it does, and it works well. That's not what I'm saying though. I'm saying that I'm not going to raise my children to only follow rules and laws based on the fear of being physically harmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back