• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Salary cap for footballers?

Salary cap?

• Yes. It will prove who is loyal.

• No. They're worth what they earn.

Results are only viewable after voting.

OIL

Championship Contender
It's been mentioned for a long time now that footballers get paid way, way, way too much. For kicking a football Ronaldinho earns £200,000 a week, plus any other supplements from advertising deals such as Nike, which can pocket him around £1,000,000 a month. While the deals with Nike & others is fine, as he has earnt that with becoming the player he is, earning £200,000 a week just for kicking a football is just wrong.

Take any other player in the Premiership, average wage is over £600,000 a year. If you play for one of the top 6 you can earn anywhere from £50,000 a week to around £150,000 a week.

Everyone knows money can play a huge factor in players joining clubs or asking for a transfer, so to see who is actually loyal and to help out the smaller clubs who can't compete with the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd, a salary cap could be used.

It was rumored to be around £100,000 a week which would be the limit, however I think this is too low just for the fact that the top stars already earn WAY more than that. A cap of £170,000 should be OK, mainly because with the current trend, within the next 7 - 10 years that is going to be the average wage of a footballer. However I don't see them doing this because a footballer earns what he is worth, and if he is worth that much money to the club then rightly so he should get what he should.

So what does everyone think, is a salary cap a good idea or not?

I think there should be a cap as it ridiculous that players like Michael Owen are injured for half the season, yet he gets paid £120,000 a week. It has got to a point where players at mid-table teams are being paid £80,000 a week. It is just stupid. If they were to have a salary cap, I would to see Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United's reaction when they are spending money left, right and centre. Also, introducing a salary cap will expose the players who are greedy, moneygrabbers as it will test a player's loyalty

I doubt it would work. Certainly with a lot of current footballers. People like Ronaldo & Ronaldinho aren't going to be happy going from over a hundred thousand a week to something like two million a year. there's no motivation for them to play. Two million a year might sound like a lot, but it's nothing compared to what they make now. It wouldn't work. Less pay would probably result in less effort. And if you enjoy watching a team like Man Utd, are they worth the money? It's not like you pay it. You contribute, but you don't have to.

Im not sure if it would work.

Like Jake says, Ronaldo will sulk and cry as he sits in the sun with his George Michael Wham style pants on. If the FA implmented it, the big players like Ronaldo would just piss off to Spain for his 200 grand a week contract.

It works in rugby league, but its been that way since the super league started, and Super League is the best rugby league in the world in terms of fan support.

And with the vast difference between the big 4 clubs(maybe include Tottenham and Newcastle) money making and teams like Stoke, Hull and Derby, a salary cap would just make the poor remain poor, and the rich go superrich.

Initially I thought a salary cap would be a good idea, but now I think that it will cause a lot of players to sulk, go to clubs in different countries etc. But transfer fees are ridiculous, it's rumoured Owen's on 120K a week, and he's usually injured! That's ridiculous.

The true way to level the field in football is to have a transfer fee cap, this would have to be a FIFA rule rather than an FA rule. This is the only way to sstop the top four getting further away and your championship sides to hover.

Initially I thought a salary cap would be a good idea, but now I think that it will cause a lot of players to sulk, go to clubs in different countries etc. But transfer fees are ridiculous, it's rumoured Owen's on 120K a week, and he's usually injured! That's ridiculous.

The true way to level the field in football is to have a transfer fee cap, this would have to be a FIFA rule rather than an FA rule. This is the only way to sstop the top four getting further away and your championship sides to hover.

I agree that there should be a transfer cap as since Abromovich bought Chelsea in 2003, they have spent over £300 million. That is just ridiculous. Man United and Liverpool are just as bad. I think the sooner, money is spread evenly amongst all the teams in the Premiership the better as we can go back to when any team could do well

I agree that there should be a transfer cap as since Abromovich bought Chelsea in 2003, they have spent over £300 million. That is just ridiculous. Man United and Liverpool are just as bad. I think the sooner, money is spread evenly amongst all the teams in the Premiership the better as we can go back to when any team could do well

And there are clubs going out of buisness with debts of 1-2 million!

Look at Rotherham, theya re priced out of thier own ground by the greedy owners who demand everything the players get, plus a huge wedge of the gate recipes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back