• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sad endings to television shows

The end of the Scrubs episode with Brendan Fraser, My Screw Up. This is widely known as one of the best Scrubs episodes ever, and its ending really seals the deal to make this episode great. The choice of song, "Winter" by Josh Radin, is quite possibly one of the best song choices for a TV show ever. That song, coupled with JD's Line "Where do you think we are?" and Cox crying at Ben's funeral, had me in tears, and i'm sure it had many others in tears. The ending is the perfect example of how a TV show and music can evoke emotions in people.

Another great ending, also from Scrubs, is the episode "My Lunch". The basic summary is that a patient dies, and the doctors use their organs to try and keep three other patients alive. The organs are infected with rabies, and the three patients die on Dr. Cox, who has a mental breakdown and walks out of the hospital. Another great choice of song here, "How To Save A Life" by The Fray, captures the mood of the moment perfectly. Scrubs is a show that always chooses great songs, and this is no exception. The whole scene comes together seamlessly, and shows what can truly happen with a moment of TV magic

i was thinking these two episodes exactly.the transition from the birthday party to the funeral in the one with brendan fraser absolutely blew my mind. and dr. cox in both endings was unbelievable. ive seen every episode of scrubs many times each and those two both stick out in my mind. great post. really, i couldnt agree more
and the intensity that dr. cox showed in the organ donor one, had me sitting there in silence for many minutes after it ended

My favorite show for 8 years was The Practice, so i have to go with that.

Alan(James Spader) wins a lawsuit against his former law firm for wrongful termination, which is the nail in the coffin for the firm.

The remaining cast members have one last "office celebration", where they party and reminsce, where everyone but leading character Bobby(Dylan McDermott) shows up to, and they all share a minute in toasting "to Bobby". After showing the rest of the characters moving on to their new "professions", Bobby later shows up to reminisce in the Office by himself, alone, with a pile of boxes. Which is exactly how the show started.

Having followed the show through all 8 seasons and getting emotionally attached to the characters, this was as close to "good closure" as the show could hope for, and pretty close to a tear jerker for myself.

For me there are the well known ones like Friends and Prison Break, which have already been mentioned, but I think this one tugs at the heartstrings more than any other...for me anyway.

[YOUTUBE]dw0e8p0Tyo4[/YOUTUBE]

After spending the final episode desperately trying to get out of going "over the top" into No-Mans-Land, by faking madness, Blackadder eventually realises there is no way out and is forced to lead his troops out of the trenches across No-Mans Land and towards the waiting German army. It was such a pointless move as they were pathetically armed and were facing the well protected germans who had machine guns...it was 99% sure that they werent coming back but the British army repeatedly did it.

George (Hugh Laurie) who was playing a very unintelligent character is looking forward to it, not realising how low his chances of survival are, and its so sad to see him going over the top having only just grasped that these are likely to be his final steps.

The sound definately adds to this, as well as the slow motion, and then the picture fades out to the field of poppies, which now covers the ground where so many men lost their lives. It is a perfect ending to the show, which was a comedy but this emphasised just how serious and un-funny the terrors of war can be.

My Dad id a history teacher in a high school and used to use this episode of Blackadder in his classes, and it would usually end up with a student crying in the final scene. It is magnificently done in my opinion.

The clip I have posted is the best I could find. It doesnt show the final conversations between Blackadder and his men, and the silent "poppy" scene at the end is cut short, but it still shows how great this final scene was

Band of Brothers was a pretty cool choice, when the general surrendors and Winters tells him to keep his gun. Pretty classy move and it's also a pretty big F-You..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d_0llpmto0[/youtube]

I'm going on a limb here with Seinfeld. Not just the finale, but the combination of that and the hilights episode they showed just before [or after, can't remember.] Far and above my favorite TV show of all time. A lot of people, including big Seinfeld fans, say that this episode was atrocious. I was never a huge fan of them being arrested, but the trial was so perfect. Bringing back all the little minor characters from so many episodes was so awesome.

And the hilights show was so great. To this day, so many episodes are still hilarious to me, so watching the clips with the Superman theme as background music was such a perfect way to remind everyone why we loved the show.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHcBtIUfvhU[/YOUTUBE]

I have two more I would like to add to this thread. Both are from City Guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE9YIyWQmLU

I completely forgot about this show until recently. I wasn't sure if they still sale the dvd series anymore so I was looking through some of the videos on youtube and came across this episode. It definately was sad and very emotional. I took me back to when I graduated High School and that day being sad too. Thought about the memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8anqNIzdg&feature=related

And then the series finale. "And Then There Were None." It was a great ending and sad too. Liked the way everybody left too. They would leave then come back again to say the final goodbye. However the last character didn't run back in like the others did; it just showed him looking back in through the window and then walk off. It was sad. The Jamal took the check and told the waiter to hold onto it because they'll being seeing them again.

I had no idea what to write about until I watched HBO's Six Feet Under. An incredible series that aired a few years ago on HBO about a dysfunctional family that owned a funeral home. Death is always a big part of each episode and the ending of the series showed the deaths of all the main characters. A very touching and moving series finale:

[YOUTUBE]HoHoxQTLcdE[/YOUTUBE]

S5E20 of Scrubs.

[youtube]7u3KAaU7kFs[/youtube]​

3 Patients in the hospital are in dire need of transplants, but they can't find suitable organs. Old friend of JD and Dr. Cox, Jill Tracy comes in, she's sick. She ends up dying from a supposed drug overdose. They get the permission from Jill's mom to use her organs for the transplant victims. All of a sudden, the 3 patients get sick, and they can't diagnose what's wrong with them. They get some results on Jill Tracy and it turns out she died from rabies. They try their best to save the 3 patients, but to no avail. They all end up dying and Dr. Cox feels personally responsible because he was rushing to get the transplants for them. He ends up going into a downward, drunken spiral and not coming into work, and killing his pain with alcohol. Powerful, powerful episode. Love the acting from John C. McGinley and it shows why Scrubs is one of the greatest shows to ever come onto TV. Watch the video i've posted above, sad sad ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back