Ryan Reynolds

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
71717_gal.jpg

The career of Ryan Reynolds has always been something of a mystery to me. Reynolds can act, and he is one of the more noticeable mainstream actors. Usually, Reynolds portrays this smart-mouthed, cocky, womanizing asshole. As far as on-screen personas, Reynolds is more enjoyable and entertaining as the cocky douchebag. He's a lot more smooth and comfortable as the jerk, the charismatic side of his personality really shines, and you can clearly see this in most of his films (Adventureland, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Blade: Trinity, National Lampoon's Van Wilder, Waiting, etc.).

But every now and then, Reynolds will take a stab at more serious roles. He delivered a solid performance in The Amityville Horror remake, and he was just excellent in Buried. A while ago, I had a chance to watch Safe House, and Reynolds was pretty enjoyable. He delivered a convincing performance in Safe House, and Reynolds shared some good chemistry with Denzel.

Reynolds seems to have the tools for a very successful career, so Reynolds should've reached the level of a breakout star by now, right? Reynolds has been around for a while, but he hasn't reached the upper echelon of elite actors in Hollywood yet. Reynolds does have his fair share of popularity, but he hasn't reached the level of a major box office draw. And you can't use The Proposal as an example for box office success for Reynolds, because Sandra Bullock was the star of that film, and she is one of the more consistent and successful big time box office draws.

Green Lantern gave Reynolds the golden opportunity to become a big star, but this film received too many negative reviews from critics and the majority of moviegoers. Green Lantern underachieved at the box office, and this film couldn't live up to the expectations of a big cash run at theaters (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm). Reynolds has the look of a superhero, he can bring a lot of charisma to any character, so what happened? I enjoyed Green Lantern. I wouldn't call it a great film, but Green Lantern had its moments. Although, this film could've been so much better. The screenplay did feel kind of thin, and the overload of unnecessary special effects didn't help anything, so you can't place all of the blame on Reynolds. Still, another Green Lantern film will happen in the future, so Reynolds will have another shot at redemption. Hopefully, he'll have a better script to work with this time around.

Reynolds will have another chance to show us his serious side in R.I.P.D., and the premise sounds intriguing. Also, the potential Deadpool film could give his career a boost. After all, he was one of the more entertaining characters in Origins. And Reynolds seems to be the front runner for the lead role in the Highlander film. Highlander has a nice sized cult following, so Reynolds should gain exposure to a different fanbase.

When I look at Ryan Reynolds, I see someone that should be a major star. He has all the tools, but Reynolds can't breakthrough, and become a major player in Hollywood. Reynolds has the talent, but inconsistency can be a big problem for him. Buried was fantastic and Definitely, Maybe is one of the more refreshing Hollywood romantic comedies. Also, Just Friends is hilarious, but Reynolds' career did hit some rough spots along the way. Smokin' Aces was okay, but as far as structure goes, this film did feel like a real mess most of the time. And you can't forget about Origins: Wolverine, Blade: Trinity, and The Change-Up. They were all awful films, and Reynolds couldn't save any of these stinkers.

I think we've seen the best in Ryan Reynolds. As far as acting goes, he's hit his peak, and I don't think we'll see some mind-blowing transformation over the next couple of years. He has the ability, but Reynolds probably won't become one of the next great actors. Reynolds thrives in his comfort zone, as the cocky douchebag, but he's only had one truly successful performance (Buried) without this persona, so his range can be a big question mark.

I can have big expectations for guys like Ryan Gosling, Jeremy Renner, and Jesse Eisenberg. They have the ability to become great actors, and their careers are filled with some real promise, but I can't say the same thing about Ryan Reynolds.

What are your thoughts?

I think the reason is because he's pretty one dimensional. He's best at playing that cocky smart-ass. He plays it so well I almost think that's his personality. Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan Reynolds a lot, but that's still the character I associate with him. I never saw Definitely, Maybe so I have no comment. Amittyville Horror was a decent movie. Just friends was...eh. If you've seen one romantic comedy you've seen them all.

I am hoping they make a Green Lantern 2. None of that films issues were his fault. He could've been better maybe, but that was overshadowed by poor writing and over reliance on special effects. His witty demeanor makes him perfect for Deadpool as well, and he definitely has a superhero build.

Anyways, I like him so I can see why you do. But I don't ever foresee him being some huge, great actor because I just think he's a little too one dimensional. The best actors are much more versatile.

On a much better note for him, he was married to Scarlett Johansson :worship:

I think the reason is because he's pretty one dimensional. He's best at playing that cocky smart-ass. He plays it so well I almost think that's his personality. Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan Reynolds a lot, but that's still the character I associate with him.

It's kind of hard to deny this. Reynolds isn't a bad actor, but Reynolds is at his best, when he portrays the cocky bad ass. This persona is his bread and butter, and you can clearly see this in Waiting, Origins: Wolverine, and Blade: Trinity, especially Waiting. Again, the talent is there, but Reynolds can't deliver the same high quality performances, when he steps outside of his comfort zone.

I never saw Definitely, Maybe so I have no comment.

Definitely, Maybe is a very solid romantic comedy. Reynolds, Abigail Breslin, Elizabeth Banks, Rachel Weisz, and Derek Luke all deliver strong performances, and this film does feature some good acting. Unlike SO many mainstream romantic comedies, Definitely, Maybe doesn't feel too formulaic, and the clever screenplay is enjoyable.

Amittyville Horror was a decent movie.

Amittyville Horror had its moments, and Reynolds held up his end of the bargain on the acting side of things. Amityville Horror could've been so much better, and this could've easily surpassed the remake. The original isn't all that great, so the remake didn't have big shoes to fill, but they settled for an average film.

Just friends was...eh. If you've seen one romantic comedy you've seen them all.

I always enjoy Just Friends. Seeing Reynolds as the fat, shy, nerd always cracks me up. Yeah, you can give some credit to the makeup effects, but Reynolds was very believable. For him, it was something different, and Reynolds actually pulled it off.

I am hoping they make a Green Lantern 2. None of that films issues were his fault. He could've been better maybe, but that was overshadowed by poor writing and over reliance on special effects. His witty demeanor makes him perfect for Deadpool as well, and he definitely has a superhero build.

Agreed. You can't blame the imperfections for Green Lantern on Ryan Reynolds. I would love to watch a second film. Reynolds just needs a better screenplay, and when it comes to the special effects, they really should take it easy the next time around.

Reynolds as Deadpool in a full length feature film would be something to look forward to. Reynolds already proved himself in Origins, but he would have to bring a dark side to the Deadpool character.

Anyways, I like him so I can see why you do. But I don't ever foresee him being some huge, great actor because I just think he's a little too one dimensional. The best actors are much more versatile.

Reynolds probably won't land a spot on the Mount Rushmore of great actors. Sure, he could surprise everyone with that one great performance, but with the way things are going right now, I just can't see it happening. I like Reynolds, but I can't put him on the same level with guys like Christian Bale and Ryan Gosling. I just can't.

On a much better note for him, he was married to Scarlett Johansson :worship:

HA! He sure is a lucky guy, because now he's dating Blake Lively!

Ryan Reynolds has definitely hit his peak, Mitch. That much I will give you. He's never going to be someone who will set the world alight with amazing performances. He'll likely never win an Oscar. And there will always be people who will hate him for the roles he has played (Read: Green Lantern).

That said, I still find him to be very, very entertaining. The first film I seen him was Van Wilder and I really enjoyed it. I liked his quirky sense of humour and the part he played in an altogether stylish flick was rather interesting. Since then, he has always managed to hold my attention. It may sound ridiculous but I really liked him in The Proposal along with Sandra Bullock. It was a fairly energetic and entertaining romp and something that I always put on when I am feeling particularly soppy. Still, I stand by the film and his performance in it as the try-hard assistant that just wants to be happy.

Then along came Green Lantern. I may be the only person in this world that found to to be a great movie. I thought it was really refreshing to have a character play a superhero that really didn't play the same super-serious role we have come to expect from the likes of Christian Bale. Ryan Reynolds brought his personality to the role and I think it worked wonders.

To be honest, there aren't many of his supporters around these days. They've been scared into hiding by the Green Lantern haters and who could blame them? Reynolds isn't going to be the next Jack Nicholson or Morgan Freeman. But for what he is, which is a comedy actor with a great personality and skill-set, he does a fantastic job. One thing I can always say about Reynolds' films are that I will always see them through to the end and I haven’t seen one (yet...) that I wouldn't say was entertaining at least.

ryan reynolds just really isnt all that...whats the word im looking for?...ENTERTAINING! thats it! he was great in van wilder but thats the movie he was in i found entertaining (then again i have only seen him in van wilder and part of green latern) hes not really able to play just about any role like adam sandler can.

I think the problem is I cannot shake off the image of him as that guy from 2 guys a girl. No matter how talented he is, no matter the performance he put in, in the back of my head he will forever be that guy from that show. He is no doubt very talented but unless he can grab a role to remake this image he shouldn't be given the keys to headline any blockbuster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back