• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RVD Possibly Returning to WWE?

I'm down like a clown that's just flown into town.

Note: "Flown" doesn't rhyme with the others, I know. I wasn't under the impression that it did.

Also, it sounds weird as hell if you try to pronounce it to rhyme. Besides, the couplet's solid, don't let the bastards grind you down, etc.

It was kind of a mini-feud. Mostly, it was just RVD coming for Christian's Intercontinental Championship for a few weeks. Started with a triple threat for the belt involving Chris Jericho at Unforgiven 2003. Christian would retain and face Van Dam the following night on Raw, ultimately using a ladder to lay Van Dam out. The next week they had a memorable ladder match in Chicago to close the show. Van Dam would win the belt on that night. The two would also be on opposing teams at Survivor Series a couple months later. I'd certainly up for seeing those two in... one more match.

Now this I would like to see.

I thought they only fine for marijuana use. Has that been changed?

I believe it was finally added to the Wellness Policy in mid 2009, but I'm not exactly certain. I remember reading something a while ago about some of the boys being really bummed out about it, hence the switch to the more recently banned synthetic stuff.

Anyways, I'm with the camp that just enjoys watching RVD go out there and do his thing every week. Don't care where he is, but there are a few guys in WWE with whom I would absolutely love to watch RVD mix it up. I'd mark out huge to see what he could do in the ring with D Bry.

Ibelieve it was finally added to the Wellness Policy in mid 2009, but I'm not exactly certain. I remember reading something a while ago about some of the boys being really bummed out about it, hence the switch to the more recently banned synthetic stuff.

http://corporate.wwe.com/company/abuse_policy.jsp said:
B. FOR POSITIVE MARIJUANA DRUG TESTS

In the event of any positive test for marijuana, the WWE Talent shall be fined Two Thousand Five Hundred US Dollars ($2,500.00) per positive test, which shall be deducted from the WWE Talent's downside guarantee.

They went to K2 to avoid the $2.5K fine, which made sence until K2 became a suspendable offence.

Why does nobody actually bother to look up the wellness policy? It's not exactly hard to find.

This would be very good. I'm not a massive fan, but he'd be an excellent addition to Smackdown's upper-midcard.

And for the record, Rhodes vs. RVD is the feud I have in my head.

They went to K2 to avoid the $2.5K fine, which made sence until K2 became a suspendable offence.

Why does nobody actually bother to look up the wellness policy? It's not exactly hard to find.

Cheers for the slightly irritable correction. I didn't bother to check because I had a feeling that somebody would pull me up on my inability to fact-check. Saved me time, too!

How would you feel about RVD returning to WWE as a heel, Coco?

There are too many babyfaces on the WWE roster right now, and RVD is the person I can see turning heel that would feel fresh and unique. I really think he could make today's WWE audience hate his fucking guts.

He's certainly got the attitude but it's been so long that I wonder about his ring work. I wouldn't be uninterested in seeing it, but I worry it'll be about on par with Jeff Hardy's heel ring work this time last year.

I believe the reason that RVD isn't on every week is that his contract limits the amount of appearances he makes.

Personally, I see two major obstacles to him rejoining:
Firstly, in the current PG era there could be major reluctance to hire a guy who publicly advocates drug use.
Secondly, as his time in TNA illustrates and the fact that he hadn't returned to WWe except for one offs, RVD likes a light schedule. No offence to RVD fans out there but I don't think he would have enough stroke to negotiate this in the WWe.

One big plus that he would have going for him now is that they appear to have little faith in their roster at present to the extent that they completely readjusted WrestleMania and they have been heavily featuring Attitude era guys like Hunter, Rock, Nash and, most recently, Foley. As such, RVD might just be thinking about a return at the perfect time.

If that rumour about his TNA contract is true, it makes TNA wasting some of those appearances on run-ins look even worse.

No doubt, but I know that both his and Flair's initial contracts were limited appearance which was the actual reason behind the Abyss attack and subsequent absence last year. I'm just not sure if their contracts for this year are also limited appearance.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was just posturing to negotiate with TNA. I doubt RVD wants to work the WWE schedule and while they don't technically suspend for marijuana the reports I have read over the last year suggest that management complaints about it extend past just the fines (which keep going up). It would be amusing to see him, just like every other "TNA reject," go back to WWE, get a huge reaction and everyone sing his praises while he "took the spot" of a younger guy. I'd say the biggest hurdle is who does WWE have for him to face that would be interesting?

I would be up for an RVD return. He could certainly freshen things up a bit. He can still go in the ring so there there is potential for some great matches with the likes of CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, or even The Miz. He could have a main event run, maybe take the WHC for a few months, and then do some stuff with mid carders and superstars being prepared for the main event.

As someone mentioned above, I think a heel RVD would be a genius idea. He has had the same face character since, what, 2001? I would love to see him revert back to the arrogant, edgy Rob Van Dam we saw in the original ECW. It would certainly make his WWE return have more of an impact (no pun intended).

With all that being said, I don't actually see RVD back in the WWE, at least not anytime soon. TNA may not be using him correctly or giving him the exposure he probably deserves, but the schedule fits him better. He has said himself that he isn't looking for a demanding work schedule and that's what WWE would require. Also, it's hard to say if VKM is even interested, considering all the wellness policy issues they've had recently. Van Dam may just be looked at as too much of a risk.

<snippage>
I'd say the biggest hurdle is who does WWE have for him to face that would be interesting?

Top of my head? I'd say Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, a meaningless yet entertaining match or two with Justin Gabriel, a feud with CM Punk could make for some excellent match-ups, hell, Christian I believe has already been mentioned, why not Sin Cara. too?

If he doe's which i'm highly doubtful of unless this is a credible source, then he should be put on SD! and have some sort of "Thank You" Reign, and then spend the rest of his career putting over young stars on Smackdown

I would be happy to see a motivated RVD back in WWE. He was always one of my favourite wrestlers, but he does seem to have slowed down in TNA...

I still watch the RVD v Jeff Hardy Ladder match for the Hardcore title at Invasion, and mark out every single time I see RVD jump up from a croucking position and knock Jeff Hardy off the stage with a perfect Van Daminator.

I fucking love that move

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back