Rusev: Unintentionally Sympathetic?

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Rusev, for some reason, has consistently been booked as a face despite being the monstrous heel. When Swagger and him fought, his injured his ankle and kept on fighting. While Swagger also hurt himself, it seemed like more focus was on Rusev's injury and Swagger's ribs only tended to be an issue when he stupidly did the swagger bomb. At one point, Rusev almost looked like he wasn't going to be able to do the match because of his ankle. But he did.

That injury lasted through his feud with Mark Henry, so in a way he overcame the odds like a face would. Against Big Show, Show pulled down the flag which was a good spot- but usually heels are the ones who mock other countries like that. Admittedly Rusev was much more villainous throughout the duration of that feud, but there was that one bit where Show and Henry cornered Rusev who valiantly fought back like a face would. He even had Lana step back before doing so. When Rusev finally beat Show, Henry came out to attack...like the heel would, but Rusev took him out and proceeded to beat the Big Show. Once again, that kind of writing is usually reserved for the good guys.

Now he's practically forced into the authority and has to endure his girlfriend/manager getting verbally abused by Stephanie.

My question is: Is this intentional? It's possible that Rusev is being booked in a way that he can be more easily accepted as a hero in Russia. Based on my memory, 'Shawn Michaels Vs Bret Hart' came down to more about the battle of values and nationalities than 'good vs evil'. Maybe this is the same way. Unlike Kane, Rusev isn't necessarily a bully, but just wants to be a source of pride for the country he has taken residence in...who just happens to have a strained relationship with most other countries. Even the kicking the soldier bit can be argued as self defense. Or maybe WWE is just botching his angles.

One thing I do like about Rusev is that he's not just big and strong, but he has consistently written as intelligent- whereas Rollins is supposed to be this way but comes across as an idiot at times. He'll focus on weak areas and this will play a major part of the outcome.

Edit: Usually when WWE realizes someone is being unintentionally sympathetic, they correct it rather quickly. Rollins, for example showed one moment of niceness when he expressed concern for his stooges when Ambrose was beating him up. But during the next PPV, he pretty much reversed this by forcing them to climb the cage in his place. Yet while Rusev has had his heel moments, the main reason why we're supposed to hate him is his pro-Russia stance.

This is largely inventing context from sparse details- which I would argue is a large portion of storytelling in general- but WWE seems to be painting a semi-serious-satire on the nature of letting the opposing countries dictate the feuds. Compare Rusev to all the Soviet Super Bad Guys of the 80's and prior, men who really just opposed the heroes and got their heat largely from whom they represented.

In all fairness, the face/heel issues in all of his feuds have been skin deep at best; either by Lana's mic work or by the 'MURRICA' portion of the feud taking a skewed stance. Everything else, up to Show/Henry, has been more down the middle.

In fact, the groundwork better supports something I really didn't think was possible until now; Rusev could easily turn face without having to be defeated, all by defying the Authority in a key moment. Everybody's been mentioning how Rusev should be DQ'd or something other than taking a clean pin at Survivor Series... so what about Rusev somehow screwing Team Authority in some way and getting a DQ from it? He says unbeaten, the Authority can try stepping on his neck, and you can have what thirty years ago would've been a shocking paradox; A Russian Babyface Hero defying the odds.

And for those not into the idea, here's a bonus; this way, you don't see him fed to Cena unless there's a badly desired Heel Turn leading up to it.

There has been a few headscratchers along the way.

Swagger I didn't mind, very very very(x100) few people thought Swagger, who for months has been jobbing to just about everyone, had a real chance at beating Rusev and the whole ankle thing made Swagger look like he had a shot at actually winning. Of course he didn't but still it helped make a completely one-sided feud more interesting along with making Rusev look even stronger in the end.

Henry - Along the same lines although tbh I don't remember it being nearly as big as a factor as Swagger's. It's not like people were all that confident in Henry either so a little extra thing couldn't hurt.

Show - The whole flag thing was the first standout and imo wasn't necessary. There were easier ways to get the same pop without all the annoying fake apologizing they did afterwards. It also had a minor side effect of making Rusev look cowardly since he didn't run in to either stop Show or out of anger over the fact that it happened, but it's not a huge deal since it happens a lot with heels.

The double team I really didn't like. It was definitely felt like a heel move on Show/Henry's part and at the same time made Show-Rusev PPV match even less exciting(if that was possible) since showed that Show needed help to beat Rusev. Ok that was true but that's not something you want to show before a PPV match. And as you said it's normally something that happens to faces, not heels.

Essentially blackmailing Rusev into joining Rollins/Kane/Henry was also weird, happily joining Team Authority would've gotten Rusev a lot more heat especially if Lana outright "suggested" that the Authority had Rusev's back during his match with Sheamus. As of now I'm sensing more of a neutral role for Rusev when he's supposed to be one of WWE's biggest heels, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

After Swagger/Henry they had some questionable booking moments that I don't think were intentional. Like I would imagine beating all the pro USA guys clean (mostly) while Lana calling Prutin the best world leader ever is enough without the weird heel moves on the faces' part. As for the whole soldier thing it's hard to argue self defense when the guy is being held down by 2-3 other guys, so that was definitely a heel move 100% intended to draw heat.

As for correcting themselves, either they thought the Show+Henry parts were done right or weren't worth bothering over(in which case who can blame them) and the blackmail was very recent so maybe they'll do something about that, although I kinda doubt it.

On the Authority angle, I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that Rusev is just going to abandon the authority. Maybe Kane and Henry will too, considering how no one seems to really like the egotistical Rollins.

Yeah, the guys he has beaten, have all been clean wins. Yet they all rage and constantly attack him for it. Not like he screwed Shaemus out of the US title that Shaemus can rush him and beat on him and demand a rematch. He is really apart from all foreigners being Evil in the WWE being booked as a face. It is bizarre really.

On the Authority angle, I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that Rusev is just going to abandon the authority.

Yes, I've been thinking that, too. Rusev is a loner, a do-it-himself type of guy who doesn't feature as a joiner. There might be some plan for his having joined up with the Authority, but he looked silly standing outside the ring, rooting for a teammate.....because the closest he comes to having a teammate is Lana, who has yet to do anything physical to help her man. He hasn't needed her to.

The company might either be planning a future face run for Rusev....or perhaps they just intend to force us into appreciating the man for what he is: an independent person fighting for what he believes in....even though it might not be what we believe in.

But, paradoxically, he's a heel who doesn't cheat to win, nor does he take unfair advantage of anyone who gets in his path, whether it be the opponent he's scheduled to take on, or an innocent bystander. (How many times have we seen a bad guy pound on someone at ringside or backstage with seemingly no provocation? Rusev doesn't do that.)

The OP is also correct in pointing out that several of Rusev's opponents feature as bullies: Mark Henry, Big Show & Sheamus stand out. Yet, Rusev fights them all the same; he breaks them down, finds their weaknesses and beats them fair & square.

I'd like to see the company find a way to make Rusev a face....not so much a "good guy" whom we cheer because we think he's a groovy guy, but someone we're forced to admire for his fortitude and personal style. That's something I'd love to see.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen how being forced to join Team Authority is making Rusev look sympathetic. He & Lana are still spouting anti-American propaganda, still ******ing Putin on a regular basis, declaring America's weakness while proclaiming Rusev as the "super athlete", etc. He's just not as "evil" as The Authority, which makes sense. Most heels have their own agenda, Rusev & Lana don't care if The Authority is in power or not, but they're "forced" to be part of Team Authority because of Trips & Stephanie having so much power. Otherwise, they have no platform for Rusev to prove his "superiority" and spread the pro-Russian "propaganda."

As for Rusev winning clean, I agree that it's unusual to see a heel looking so consistently strong with always winning clean. However, it's also a way of building young talent into strong heel characters. Rusev is a heel by declaring his superiority, backing up what he says and rubbing the fans' collective faces in it.

As a whole, Rusev's booking seems more in line with what we see in NXT with Triple H ultimately making the calls. In NXT, it's not unusual to see heels win clean, display arrogance & attitudes of superiority, rub fans faces in it and get heat from them. Besides, if Rusev didn't win clean, look at how many fans or dirt sheet writers would be coming out of the woodwork with their declarations of WWE dropping the ball with him or sabotaging him or whatever.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen how being forced to join Team Authority is making Rusev look sympathetic. He & Lana are still spouting anti-American propaganda, still ******ing Putin on a regular basis, declaring America's weakness while proclaiming Rusev as the "super athlete", etc. He's just not as "evil" as The Authority, which makes sense. Most heels have their own agenda, Rusev & Lana don't care if The Authority is in power or not, but they're "forced" to be part of Team Authority because of Trips & Stephanie having so much power. Otherwise, they have no platform for Rusev to prove his "superiority" and spread the pro-Russian "propaganda."

As for Rusev winning clean, I agree that it's unusual to see a heel looking so consistently strong with always winning clean. However, it's also a way of building young talent into strong heel characters. Rusev is a heel by declaring his superiority, backing up what he says and rubbing the fans' collective faces in it.

As a whole, Rusev's booking seems more in line with what we see in NXT with Triple H ultimately making the calls. In NXT, it's not unusual to see heels win clean, display arrogance & attitudes of superiority, rub fans faces in it and get heat from them. Besides, if Rusev didn't win clean, look at how many fans or dirt sheet writers would be coming out of the woodwork with their declarations of WWE dropping the ball with him or sabotaging him or whatever.

I too don't see the point of calling Rusev joining the Authority sympathetic, but Big Show and Mark Henry backing him into a corner made no sense whatsoever. What's your take on that?

I found that ridiculous. On one hand I understand that there were seeds being planted into yet another Henry-Show feud, but on the other hand it made no sense for Rusev to be a face at this point of the story progression.

Speaking as a Canadian, if WWE isn't careful with Rusev he can end up becoming a face internationally while playing the American heel. I'm not saying that public opinion favors Russia over America, but just for me personally, I'm tired of all the Americana bullshit that's been spewed out for the past months and I doubt I'm the only one. I would assume people in other parts of the world have the same feeling?

I get it, Americans think America is the best but having to watch Mark Henry cry while listening to the national anthem, having to watch JBL go ballistic over the fact that the American flag touched the ground, having to watch Sheamus act as if he gives one pale shit about America, having to watch Big E wave the flag, having to watch the American crowd cheer when Russia's flag was disgraced, having to.. okay you get it, but having to watch all that has almost flipped me right on to Rusev. I get Rusev is a nationalist as well, but it's obvious that it's a work where with America, everybody just comes off as if they're superior.

I love watching the guy beat the Americans and I ACTUALLY LIKE AMERICA. I can't imagine what the American haters feel, watching Rusev.

Oh God, please don't bring down the wrath of nationalist America on me.

I love rusev I must admit it. As far as sympathy goes, rusev has his own agenda. He still spits propaganda with lana. He doesn't care about the authority, he only cares about what's good for him.

He is the badass heel, wins clean and spouts anti-American rhetoric.

Maybe 'sympathetic' was the wrong word to use in regards to him being forced to join the authority. Honestly, they could've done that either way. Maybe we were supposed to be on Steph's side when she bullied Lana. Yet the way it went down, it left me wanting to see Rusev screw the authority over.

Won clean again on SD.

The USA USA prop isn't covering up the fact this guy is getting over clean week in, week out.

Did anyone else feel awkward when Lana was forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance? I thought of this very thread when that happened. Her promo afterwards sounded like WE were the bad guy for making her do that, and how they would never make us do something like that...

Did anyone else feel awkward when Lana was forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance? I thought of this very thread when that happened. Her promo afterwards sounded like WE were the bad guy for making her do that, and how they would never make us do something like that...

Don't worry, you're not the only one. If that promo happened anywhere else outside of the U.S the crowd almost certainly would have turned against Slaughter and sided with Rusev & Lana.

It's interesting booking in the sense that Rusev (from what I've seen) has never cheated to win and has if anything over come serious odds, remember his first match against Swagger? His ankle was 'injured' the entire match and yet he still won. It's very refreshing.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. If that promo happened anywhere else outside of the U.S the crowd almost certainly would have turned against Slaughter and sided with Rusev & Lana.

It's interesting booking in the sense that Rusev (from what I've seen) has never cheated to win and has if anything over come serious odds, remember his first match against Swagger? His ankle was 'injured' the entire match and yet he still won. It's very refreshing.

That's mostly they are trying to build Rusev as the Next Monster Heel in the WWE, thus he is booked to win cleanly and has been booked as a Monster Character should be.

I think he does his role well enough, but his intensity is something he has to portray more in order to take such a role after Brock moves on post-Mania(Contract Ends at the event). Also, he will have to eventually shed the Anti-American gimmick in due time...how the WWE does that will be key to his long-term prospects,lMO.

Also, he will have to eventually shed the Anti-American gimmick in due time...how the WWE does that will be key to his long-term prospects,lMO.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how it's handled, I've spoken to a few people that speculated over turning him face and giving him another manager... I'm not so sure about this.

The handling of his first loss will also be important.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how it's handled, I've spoken to a few people that speculated over turning him face and giving him another manager... I'm not so sure about this.

The handling of his first loss will also be important.

Reigns, Orton, Cena, Bryan, Ambrose, Ziggler...even Barrett might return as a Babyface apparently...
I think it is better for Rusev to stay as a possible Top Monster Heel, especially since there is a dearth of Full-Time Active Top Heels currently(Rollins, Wyatt....??).

I'd love to see Lana go face(the Rock put over brilliantly in his awesome one-off segment,lMO) and become a babyface Cesaro's new manager at some point. I can see that working for both of them, whilst Rusev can then become a true Monster Heel hell bent on destruction and not just an Anti-American character with a limited shelf-life(glad they have brought back him being Bulgarian again)

If Barrett returns as a face I will cry.

He's already very popular as a heel, can't see them messing with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back