Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r2stingvmatrix_zps97a6f554.jpg

Round 2: The Sting vs. The Matrix

This poll will close on Tuesday, October 23rd at 5pm PT (ish)​

The Matrix is one of those sci-fi epics that totally envelopes you into its wholly unique story. Its intent seems to be centered on blowing your mind; for most I'd say it succeeded. Badass ninja-style martial combat? Check. Badass gun scene? Check. Implementation of godmode and superpowers? By the end...check. The film gets tainted by its sequels quite a bit, as they try to over-explain plot mechanics the Matrix never intended to travel. Much like Star Wars gets tainted by the newer trilogy, and its over-explanation of the Force, and how it works. The greatest thing about the Matrix - and in kind, the original Star Wars trilogy - is they built this universe totally unapologetic to anyone. For two hours, we lived in it, but they never quite got into the finer details of how everything was possible. And when you're dealing with concepts that Matrix charges head first into, that's important; same reason I really liked Looper. There's no need to tackle the bigger "where did it all come from" and "Matrix inside of a Matrix" bullshit that 2 & 3 take on. So in its chaotic simplicity, the original shined.

The Sting is still a better movie. I just wanted to give a great sci-fi classic its due. Paul Newman and Robert Redford put on a performance better than anybody in the Matrix. In fact, most of the stars of the Matrix aren't very good actors; some border on being awful. You will never be able to make a legitimate claim like that about anyone in The Sting. It is indeed a period piece that clings to its subject material better than most of its kind.

I'm open to hearing arguments from the opposition, but I'd be really surprised if anyone could convince me the Matrix was a better film than The Sting.

Well Newman may well be a better actor than Keanu but as far as storyline and ability to get wrapped up in the movie? Matrix has this hands down. Plus if people are taking points off of Matrix for its crappy sequels, then you surely have to take off some points for the Jackie Gleason sequel of Sting. Turrible....

If we are taking this solely on a single film basis, Matrix wraps this one up. The idea behind it and the CGI\Effects just were stunning. Remember how jaw dropping the effects were when they first came out? Classy stuff. To this day, people still quote that movie and have since tried to re-create its magic with other films action scenes. Hell, it was even in Conker's Bad Fur Day for N64- a fantastic game itself.

Who do you know that quotes The Sting? How many games clamored to have a scene featured in a game?

As good as it was, The Sting was basically another con-man\gangster flick set in the 1930's. Really the only reason it was so good is the chemistry between Redford and Newman- which we previously saw in Butch and Sundance. It was their chemistry that really drove the film. It wasnt a revolutionary idea for a screenplay and didnt have people second guessing human existince.... The Matrix did.

Vote Matrix.

I voted for Matrix in the last round, but I have to give the vote to The Sting this time.

The Matrix was a revolutionary film at the time and a great deal of that was due to the special effects that were used. However special effects can sometimes date a film and that is what happened to The Matrix.

The Sting has a timeless feel to it, a sense of great nostalgia even, fuelled by the 30s setting and being filmed in the 70s. The ragtime music only adds to this too.
Redford and Newman reuniting with George Roy Hill was always going to provide great chemistry on-screen, but adding in Robert Shaw to play the main villain made a great thing even better.

The Matrix had a fantastic idea and great effects for the time, but The Sting is a nostalgic American classic with 2 of the best actors of their generation on fire.

Going with The Sting again.

The duo of Paul Newman and Robert Redford is enough to clinch this for me. The chemistry between both actors is just superb, and Robert Shaw is outstanding as the primary antagonist. Plus, The Sting is loaded with tricky twists, the ending is genuinely shocking, and The Sting continues to stand the test of time.

But when it comes to science fiction action films, The Matrixk has some tough competition. Is it better than Terminator 2? The Empire Strikes Back? Aliens? Oh, and let's not forget the acting. The Sting EASILY triumphs over The Matrix in this category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back