Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r1vendettavkingsspeech_zpsa30ddb35.jpg

Round 1: V for Vendetta vs. The King's Speech

Polls will close on Saturday, October 20 at 12:00am(ish) ET.​

Speaking of movies that double as obvious socio-political commentary... I love V for Vendetta. It's fun and clever, and has some fantastic lines of dialogue. The Wachowski's are kind of known for fun, clever movies with memorable lines of dialogue. But I will say it's nowhere near as well-acted as the King's Speech though. V was a great symbol, but there's a limit to the range an actor - even one as iconic as Hugo Weaving - can portray with a mask on the whole time. I mean, Stephen Fry is brilliant in his minor role, but Natalie Portman is...well, she's not bad but I've just never been terribly in love with anything she's done. She's always the "oh yeah, she's in this movie too" actress. Whether it be to Hugo, Chris Hemsworth, Dustin Hoffman, etc., in my mind she's always been over-shadowed by a better performance.

King's Speech is a fantastic movie that turned a plot so simple - to the point where I didn't think I'd even enjoy it - and executed it so well it captivated me from beginning to end. And I mean it when I say it was better acted than V. I will fight to the death for Helena Bonham Carter and Geoffrey Rush. Colin Firth even held his own. I'm a bit sad to see this one leaning towards a win for V. Nothing against it, it's just not the better film in my opinion.

Being Canadian, The King's Speech holds a special place in my nation's history. Its innocence and charm aside, it appeals to me on a deeper level - (at the time) our Head of State leading the nation towards an uncertain future.

V for Vendetta is a good movie, but just can't compare with the attachment I have to The King's Speech.

What a perfect matchup, the anarchists against the establishment. I just don't like The Kings Speech, it's soft, fluffy and simply not important in any way.
By contrast, V For Vendetta might be the most important and influential film of the last decade. It has seemingly given Generation Y an idol and the kick up the arse they needed to stand up and be counted, at a time when the rights of everyone are being trampled over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back