Round 1: Harry Potter vs. Psylocke

Who wins?

• Harry Potter

• Psylocke

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't give the "Psylocke can use telepathy so she auto wins" crap. There are a multitude of spells that Potter can use on himself that could negate her powers. Two such examples are the impervious charm, which would allow him to fight off her telekinesis by negating it's affects, and the disillusionment charm which would turn him invisible. Can Psylocke use her psychic powers on those she can't see?

You obviously don't understand how potent of a mutation Telepathy truly is. Name any faction in Marvel, the X-Men, Hellfire Club, S.H.I.E.L.D, HAMMER, The Brotherhood, name the faction, and they have fought and killed over mutants like Psylocke that possess Telepathy. Know why, because it allows you to have that auto win crap. Know what mutants like Psylocke, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, and Professor X all have in common despite being mutant telepaths? They are able to shut down and destroy the minds of anyone from just about anywhere.

He could also use the gemino curse on himself to create multiple clones of his body which would provide a distraction long enough for him to use something serious. Based on what I've seen with her speed she's not fast enough to dodge one of his spell as point blank range.

Psylocke has been able to tell apart Jamie Madrox from the vast amount of his dupes, just by reading the mind of one of them. Jamie's dupes are truly living people under the control of Madrox Prime. I don't see how Psylocke can't tell apart the really Harry in a matter of seconds. Also, if Psylocke and Harry were in point blank range she has the martial arts ability to take out Harry with one simple blow. She's a bloody ninja, before Harry could even chant a spell his wand would be sliced in half by Psylocke's katana.

He's used both the cruciatus and the imperious curses before, so there's no evidence that he wouldn't use them against her. The former would cause her so much pain that's she's likely to pass out, while the latter would allow him to take control of her mind. He could negate her telekinesis, and then put her to sleep for an easy win.

I doubt Harry, who people have stated time and time again, was horrible at keeping out telepaths from his head would be able to intrude into the mind of a powerful telepath and take control? I hate to bring up this argument again, but Betsy can attack physically and telepathically. I doubt Harry would be able to defend himself from one attack or the other, let alone at the same time.

Don't give the "Psylocke can use telepathy so she auto wins" crap. There are a multitude of spells that Potter can use on himself that could negate her powers. Two such examples are the impervious charm,

Because repelling water is so useful when it comes to avoiding flying objects, or getting cut in two by a telekinetic katana. I mean it did such a good job at protecting them in the Lestrange vault.

which would allow him to fight off her telekinesis by negating it's affects, and the disillusionment charm which would turn him invisible. Can Psylocke use her psychic powers on those she can't see?

Yes.

He could also use the gemino curse on himself to create multiple clones of his body which would provide a distraction long enough for him to use something serious. Based on what I've seen with her speed she's not fast enough to dodge one of his spell as point blank range. And the Unforgivables can't be blocked unless one uses a specific counter curse... which she doesn't have.

Even if we accept that Harry is willing to clone himself (and that it'd work) there's still the problem of it not activating until Psylocke's touched him. And by that point he's already dead. There's also the problem with Harry's idea of using 'serious' spells. In canon, his first port of call is stunning or disarming. Only one of those spells is going to help him. If he lives long enough to do it.

Also, Harry Potter wouldn't use the unforgivables. He didn't use them on fucking Voldemort. He wouldn't use them here either.

He's used both the cruciatus and the imperious curses before, so there's no evidence that he wouldn't use them against her.

Other than the fact that imperious curse was only used (badly) because there was no alternative and he could only successfully use the cruciatus curse in circumstances so far removed from this one it's absurd. They're not in play here, numbnuts.

The former would cause her so much pain that's she's likely to pass out, while the latter would allow him to take control of her mind. He could negate her telekinesis, and then put her to sleep for an easy win.

Yes, Harry Potter would totally be able to subjugate the mind of a fucking telepath. That makes perfect sense.

Ok, stop with the "She's a bloody ninja" thing. It's not cute, clever, nor funny. Nor does it prove any kind of point. "He's a bloody wizard".

Also, for most of her career, Psylocke has NEVER been a high-level telepath. She's 2nd rate, almost always has been. She's not Jean or Xavier, and pretending that she is makes me chuckle.

You obviously don't understand how potent of a mutation Telepathy truly is. Name any faction in Marvel, the X-Men, Hellfire Club, S.H.I.E.L.D, HAMMER, The Brotherhood, name the faction, and they have fought and killed over mutants like Psylocke that possess Telepathy. Know why, because it allows you to have that auto win crap. Know what mutants like Psylocke, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, and Professor X all have in common despite being mutant telepaths? They are able to shut down and destroy the minds of anyone from just about anywhere.

True, but Psylocke isn't powerful enough to destroy someone's mind instantly. Potter has dealt with forms of telekinesis before and can recognize it's potential and how to counter it. He sucks at occlumency, true, but I've demonstrated ways for him to get around that.

Psylocke isn't a witch, she wouldn't have an answer if Potter decided to use the impervious charm to negate her telekinesis, or the imperturbable charm which would lock her out of his mind completely.

Psylocke has been able to tell apart Jamie Madrox from the vast amount of his dupes, just by reading the mind of one of them. Jamie's dupes are truly living people under the control of Madrox Prime. I don't see how Psylocke can't tell apart the really Harry in a matter of seconds.

Seconds is all he needs to hit with one of the Unforgivables, the affects of which can't be blocked unless you use a specific counter spell.

Also, if Psylocke and Harry were in point blank range she has the martial arts ability to take out Harry with one simple blow.

There are plenty of spells that Potter could use against her or on himself that would negate her martial arts abilities. He could simply summon a boulder or a steel wall to protect himself from her attacks.

She's a bloody ninja, before Harry could even chant a spell his wand would be sliced in half by Psylocke's katana.

You know Potter can use wandless magic right? If his wand is broken he can continue fighting without it.

I doubt Harry, who people have stated time and time again, was horrible at keeping out telepaths from his head would be able to intrude into the mind of a powerful telepath and take control? I hate to bring up this argument again, but Betsy can attack physically and telepathically. I doubt Harry would be able to defend himself from one attack or the other, let alone at the same time.

I've shown multiple ways that he can negate her abilities by using certain charms on himself. She's not a witch and wouldn't know how to counter those spells any more than Potter could defeat her in hand to hand combat.

Because repelling water is so useful when it comes to avoiding flying objects, or getting cut in two by a telekinetic katana. I mean it did such a good job at protecting them in the Lestrange vault.

There's nothing to suggest that the impervious charm wouldn't negate the affects of her telekinesis. The spell protects against outside forces...telekinesis is an outside force.

Even if we accept that Harry is willing to clone himself (and that it'd work) there's still the problem of it not activating until Psylocke's touched him. And by that point he's already dead. There's also the problem with Harry's idea of using 'serious' spells. In canon, his first port of call is stunning or disarming. Only one of those spells is going to help him. If he lives long enough to do it.

Can Psylocke dodge one of his spells at close range? Show me an example of her dodging gunfire at close range and I'll concede this point.

Other than the fact that imperious curse was only used (badly) because there was no alternative and he could only successfully use the cruciatus curse in circumstances so far removed from this one it's absurd. They're not in play here, numbnuts.

Flame much? He demonstrated the use of two of the Unforgivables, even if they were sub par. This isn't a case of "would have/could have" he clearly used them in the canon.

Even then he could still beat her without resorting to the Unforgivable. He could use combinations of the shield charm and the summoning charm to protect himself from her combat and katana, and he could use the stunning spell and the body bind cure to knock her out.

End match Potter wins.

What is stopping Psylocke from just hurling one of her katanas at Potter right out of the gates and impaling him, ending the match before it even starts? Surely he can't utter a spell that quickly.

What is stopping Psylocke from just hurling one of her katanas at Potter right out of the gates and impaling him, ending the match before it even starts? Surely he can't utter a spell that quickly.

Have you ever tried throwing a sword any sense of accuracy? That's why.

DirtyJosé;4112235 said:

It's a damn good thing Psylocke is also a powerful Telekinetic. She can easily throw a 100 ton rock at Harry. Does he have a spell for that? She can easily throw her sword and then use Telekinesis to control its flight.

DirtyJosé;4112235 said:

I'm not skilled in the art of sword fighting like she is.

Shouldn't she be able to user her telepathic abilities to guide the sword?

On top of that because of her telepathy she could predict Potter's movements and would know ahead of time what spell was coming. She is also able to mask her presence from humans and mutants. There is also a good chance she could create illusions of herself and while Potter is focused on one she could sneak up behind Potter and take him out.

There's nothing to suggest that the impervious charm wouldn't negate the affects of her telekinesis. The spell protects against outside forces...telekinesis is an outside force.

Except that in canon it's succeeded at repelling water and fuck all else. It couldn't protect against a gold cup. What good is it going to do against powerful telekinesis?

Can Psylocke dodge one of his spells at close range? Show me an example of her dodging gunfire at close range and I'll concede this point.

Not dodging, but would blocking bullets at point blank rance be OK?

reflexestk2ky8.jpg

Flame much? He demonstrated the use of two of the Unforgivables, even if they were sub par. This isn't a case of "would have/could have" he clearly used them in the canon.

In character Potter used the unforgivables in two situations. The first is extreme rage (i.e. crucifying the Alecto) B) when there was literally no other choice. In this case neither apply. He's not in extreme rage, and he's going to use his lower level spells before trying either of the unforgivables he's used. If he doesn't jump right to crucio against fucking Voldemort[/B] he's not going to against Psylocke. And since most of his arsenal aren't going to stop Psylocke, he's not going to get the chance to exhaust them.

Even then he could still beat her without resorting to the Unforgivable. He could use combinations of the shield charm and the summoning charm to protect himself from her combat and katana, and he could use the stunning spell and the body bind cure to knock her out.

Shield charm stands up to minor spells. It got beaten by a fucking jelly legs jynx. It's not going to stand up to her telekinetic katana. And what's Harry going to summon that could help? Stunning, yes that could work, but bullets are harder to block than spells and full body bind isn't going to do a damn thing against telekinesis.

End match Potter wins.

No, he doesn't. Stop acting like a dumbass.

Lets see, ultra sexy uber babe ninja vs teenage boy. Hmm. Harry will take one look at her comic book breasts, and be too dumbfounded to utter any kind of defensive spell. Sorry, but Psylocke's breasts vs a teenage boy is no contest at all. No way Potter could concentrate enough to do a proper spell.

There is one thing that Harry can do that nobody has touched on yet and that is Apparate. He can just disappear from where ever the battle starts and reappear someplace more convenient and strategic for him.

Also (and forgive me if this was mentioned already), Harry can also us Accio (Summoning Charm) to summon an object to the caster (potentially over a significant distance). Those nice katanas everyone seems to bring up, "Accio Katanas"...she doesn't have them anymore.
Edit: I just read her bio and didn't realize that she used telekinetic katana blades so this wouldn't work.

All sorts of arguments have been made on both sides, but let me appeal to the geeks out there (like myself) that have played Dungeon and Dragons. For those of you that have played, think of the times your party came across a wizard or a powerful cleric. Unless the battle was in closed quarters or some type of hand to hand combat, who in the party usually did the most damage for you against said opponent? 99% of the time it was which ever character had some sort of spell casting ability or the character that had a bow and arrow. The fighters usually either hung back or tried to find a way to sneak forward (unless they had some kind of high magic resistance). In battle scenerios like this, the wizard or cleric always had the advantage, and if they had the advantage in the game then Harry would have more of an advantage because he doesn't have to deal with the casting time for spells. All his spells and considered instants.

Harry Potter is not a Dungeons and Dragons wizard, he is a Potterverse wizard. You can't apply D&D rules to a scenario that has nothing to do with it. In the Potterverse, you have to speak the spell properly or it doesn't work right. You have to have your wand. If Psylocke used her telekinisis to break the wand, he is fucked.

Harry Potter is not a Dungeons and Dragons wizard, he is a Potterverse wizard. You can't apply D&D rules to a scenario that has nothing to do with it. In the Potterverse, you have to speak the spell properly or it doesn't work right. You have to have your wand. If Psylocke used her telekinisis to break the wand, he is fucked.

You may not be chanting the spell in D&D, but it's implied that your character is. Yes Harry has a wand, and in D&D wizards need spell components and clerics need their holy symbol to cast spells so they are similar. And in both worlds the wizard has the advantage over the fighter.

I'll give you the part about her telekinisis breaking his wand, but just like with D&D it all comes down to who wins initiative.

Not much to add. Potter is nowhere NEAR being recognized as the strongest wizard... I'd probably not even put him in the top 25.
Psylocke is a "bloody ninja," a telepath, a...
Actually, that should about cover it there.
Harry, stay in school, for your sake.
Vote: Psylocke.

Harry Potter is not the strongest wizard by any means, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a goddamn wizard, and a very competent one (he was able to produce a patronus while still in Hogwarts, something some grown wizards can't even do). A lot of you are only thinking about the things (or lack of things) he's done, rather than the things he can do, or the things he has access to. Dragon fire, something that murdered a character that's been around for all seven books, because he was too reckless with it, occlumency, inferi, instant healing spells, instant reparing spells, access to the deathly hallows, etc.

I'm not doubting Psylocke's strength, but a lot of you are underestimating Harry's. I'm not voting, but just think about all the information you've gotten from the books, and how just about everything Psylocke throws at him is something that's documented to have been repelled or can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back