Ronda Rousey Considered Suicide After Loss To Holm

smizzy

Doubt it, bud.
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/14785901/ronda-rousey-says-considered-suicide-loss-holly-holm

ESPN is reporting that Ronda Rousey considered suicide following her significantly unimpressive defeat by the hands of Holly Holm: and everyone thought Cam Newton handled his loss poorly.

Initially I rolled my eyes at the headline and that's predominantly how I still view the situation. Ronda has built such a mighty following and reputation that it's a silly notion to think that one, albeit embarassing, loss could damage her to the point that her life is no longer worth living.

However, I don't believe there was any mention of her actually attempting suicide. Also her thoughts of suicide followed directly after the match, so her emotions were still obviously at a peak.

Can y'all offer Ronda any empathy?

Man, really? I mean yeah I sympathize with anybody dealing with those type of thoughts, but because of one loss? Personally, I view that as a very weak mentality. Ronda Rousey may very well be the greatest women's fighter of all time, but you have to be mentally strong to be an MMA fighter as well. If one loss forces you to contemplate killing yourself, maybe you should just give it up... for your own sanity.

I know people that have killed themselves. People that dealt with dark, dark demons. People that actually battled their minds every single day. If Rousey, after everything she's accomplished, after all the fame and wealth she's gained, actually thought about throwing her life away over losing one time , it makes me wonder how much she actually values life.

Maybe she should take a long look at herself, and realize how truly blessed she is. There are multitudes out there that would kill to be Ronda Rousey.

If she's contemplating suicide after 1 loss then chances are the loss has very little to do with Rousey thinking of ending it all. I'm no doctor but I've met/seen/heard many athletes who have the "if you aren't a 1 you're a 0" mentality, as in if you're not the top dog you're not worth anything. For a person to get to that mental state then there is no question something going on beneath the surface that we aren't privy to. In life people are pretty much shaped by 5 things, DNA, environment, the people they know, moments in their life and what they've learned and if Rhonda has been brought up to have that "you're a winner or you're nothing" mentality then she needs to get to a point where she understands that's just not true and 1 loss isn't the end of the world.

Just because Rhonda is a big celebrity who has plenty of money and fame doesn't mean that she has a good life, it doesn't mean she's happy and that's probably because there's a part of her that feels like a worthless piece of shit because she lost to Holly Holm. There's no reason to shit on her for it and overall I just hope she can figure out why a loss makes her feel that way and work on those feelings so when she loses again/retires she can still be happy and content with life. It's unfortunate but there are plenty of people there that have had great lives but feel they need to live up to some unobtainable standard and when they can't reach that they feel they have no worth.

All in all I hope she gets to a point in her life she can deal with such feelings, learn to be happy without all the money and fame because that's what truly matters and I hope she takes some time off of fighting so she can work on herself and come back a happier and healthier person.

Let's see how she emerges from all she's been through since her loss.

Personally, I wonder if realization has set in; that in the early part of her pro fighting career, all she thought about was fighting......then, once she became truly famous, she got involved in so much outside fighting that she lost the will and concentration that made her great in the first place.

As the fight with Holly Holm was approaching, she was involved with the pro wrestlers, she was going to make movies, she was sifting through endorsement possibilities ("Stick with me, Ronda" says the agent. "We're gonna make money like no one ever made money. Your name is gonna be up in lights so bright everyone will go f---ckin' blind. Listen, don't train today. We gotta do this photoshoot for a new product. We gotta strike while the irons are hot, baby!")

Perhaps she realizes all this now, if this is actually the case. If she has the inner drive and strength, maybe she'll come out of it stronger than ever.

If so, look out Holly.

I was pretty confused when I first heard this story.

Maybe she doesn't have the mental toughness to compete in this sport. She's probably the best woman MMA fighter on the planet, but if one loss makes her contemplate suicide, maybe this isn't for her.

Anyways I do feel sorry for her. I can understand being down and out but she needs to realize her life isn't over. She has a lot more to do and a lot of upsides so I hope she can get the help she needs and get her MMA career back on track.

As much as I sympathise with anyone who contemplates suicide, I have to roll my eyes when I hear this story. Don't get me wrong, having those thoughts is almost the worst thing you can do to yourself mentally; it's torturous in some ways. It's a constant battle internally and she must have been through the wringer for those few months following the fight.

That said, it was her first loss. People lose in the UFC all the time. And if everyone killed themselves when they lost, it would be a very small roster indeed. But again, perhaps, it's was the hate and laughter that came her way after the loss that pushed her towards the edge? The fact remains that she is a driven and motivated woman who probably hadn't experienced a loss on this scale in her life before. The way the tide turned after the loss, she can be forgiven for going to some of the darkest places.

She'll be back. She needed that loss to show her that side of the business. She'll come back stronger now as a result.

Man, really? I mean yeah I sympathize with anybody dealing with those type of thoughts, but because of one loss? Personally, I view that as a very weak mentality.

It really isn't, as I think its been pretty clear she has some form of mental illness or distorted self-view to most who have been paying attention, and her comments in the interview just sealed the deal for sure.

She didn't consider suicide because she lost, she considered suicide because in her words "if I am not this, no one cares about me. No one in the world cares about me now".....That is assigning way too much connection of her own worth as a person to her occupational success.

She clearly has legitmate mental health issues, and I hope she gets the help she needs.

It really isn't, as I think its been pretty clear she has some form of mental illness or distorted self-view to most who have been paying attention, and her comments in the interview just sealed the deal for sure.

Mental illness? Distorted self-view maybe, which she can thank her own ego for, but I've never thought mental illness when I see Rousey. She's been one of the most egotistical and disrespectful fighters over the past few years. She's even said, "It wasn't until I got older that I realized I'm fabulous". I'm only basing what I say off of everything I've seen and heard her say or do. Maybe you're more familiar with her life but I've never thought "clearly this woman is mentally ill". I've thought, "clearly this girl is cocky".

She didn't consider suicide because she lost, she considered suicide because in her words "if I am not this, no one cares about me. No one in the world cares about me now".....That is assigning way too much connection of her own worth as a person to her occupational success.

And she thought all of that because of one loss. Because she was humbled. Like I said, you have to be able to win as well as lose as a pro athlete. You need to have a STRONG mentality to be a UFC fighter. It takes a lot to get knocked out and get back up, believe me I know, but you have to accept it as an MMA cage fighter. She's probably learning that.

Fuck, I know this is making me seem harsh. I just think her head got too big for her own good, and when she was finally humbled, she felt like a piece of shit. I get the sense that her thoughts of suicide were very fleeting at a very emotional time, and not indicative of years of mental illness or anything like that. Who knows. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Ronda has dealt with personal demons her whole life and I'm a gigantic jackass. I don't get that sense though.

Mental illness? Distorted self-view maybe, which she can thank her own ego for, but I've never thought mental illness when I see Rousey. She's been one of the most egotistical and disrespectful fighters over the past few years. She's even said, "It wasn't until I got older that I realized I'm fabulous". I'm only basing what I say off of everything I've seen and heard her say or do. Maybe you're more familiar with her life but I've never thought "clearly this woman is mentally ill". I've thought, "clearly this girl is cocky"

You don't see those as signs of mental illness? At the time, sure they sounded cocky, but all you have to do is take a look at her parents to know that screws are loose, and mental illness can be passed genetically or via environment someone grows up in.

Much of the time, the people with the most outward bluster have the lowest self esteem and self value.

I get the sense that her thoughts of suicide were very fleeting at a very emotional time, and not indicative of years of mental illness or anything like that

When talking about mental illness you have to look at the bigger picture, take things which are indicators and red flags and add them up in totality.

Mental illness? Distorted self-view maybe, which she can thank her own ego for, but I've never thought mental illness when I see Rousey.

People didn't think mental illness when they saw Robin Williams. Look at what she said:

"Honestly, my thought in the medical room, I was sitting in the corner and was like, 'What am I anymore if I'm not this?'" Rousey said. "Literally sitting there thinking about killing myself. In that exact second, I'm like, 'I'm nothing. What do I do anymore? No one gives a s--- about me anymore without this.'"

The loss triggered something in her. She felt like she was done as a fighter and would disappear off the face of the earth. That sounds like someone who does have some mental problems.

Um, didn't her father kill himself? In fact research leads me to side with NorCal in that her father killed himself after he became a quadriplegic following a sledging accident involving his daughters. I'm not an expert by any stretch of any imagination, but Ronda's father probably took his life with a similar (albeit not the same) mentality of, 'I can't be a father, or at least the same father, that I was, therefore what I offer is not worth the same'.

Ronda's father was a hero to her based on how she handled the bad talk about him prior to her fight against the Brazilian fighter who bad mouthed him. It wouldn't be surprising if there were moments where she thought, if I'm not this unstoppable wrecking machine, then what good am I? What if my father was right to do what he did? She more than likely had deep empathy for her father in that moment. They were sharing a moment of loss and pain, even if they aren't, by any means, the same thing.

Ronda isn't saying this to gain sympathy or to become relevant, she's stating it as a case of 'look, I know life deals you a shit hand sometimes, and its okay to think about things negatively sometimes, but don't get swallowed by it, because it'll only make things a whole lot worse'. A little context can go a long way here folks.

The positive is that she didn't do it and she was brave enough to open up about it.

People associate money and fame with success but that's just not true. You can have all the money in the world and still feel shit. You're a product of environment and circumstance not money and glory.

This is a not uncommon thing in pro-athletes, especially fighters. The longer they go without defeat, the more invested they are in remaining that way and the more devastating it is when it's taken away. Moreso in her case because it was so publicly humiliating. The same thing happened to Ricky Hatton and countless other boxers, some people never really recover. It's the warriors mentality and it's existed in soldiers for ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back