Roman Reigns Is the *NEW* WWE Intercontinental Champion

Sometimes, that's all you need. After all, in a business that's pretending to be a competitive sport, isn't holding a championship a goal in and of itself, particularly when you don't have one right now?

I'm no big Reigns fan or Shield fan for that matter, but I kind of like the way this was handled. Rollins and Ambrose pointed out they had gold and Roman didn't.

Yes, commentary did oversell this, but at least they're showing interest rather than shilling the next PPV.

It's not that one wrestler simply wanting a championship is a bad story. In fact, it can sometimes be really good.

The problem is when almost every story is like that. That can make for a somewhat meh product.

And maybe I'm just spoiled by Jim Ross, but Michael Cole has the most robotic voice ever. Very few of his calls have came off as natural. So yes it was great for commentary to treat it like a big deal. I would just like them to be more natural and realistic.

The problem is when almost every story is like that. That can make for a somewhat meh product.
I don't think we have too many stories where someone is actively chasing a title. I think we need more of that, even if just in passing in promos.

Cole is competent, and perhaps a necessary evil. He needs someone less bland to play off of, and most of the current crop of announcing talent isn't helpful.

I think everyone knows that it's set in stone Roman Reigns will take on Brock Lesnar for the Universal Championship effectively beating him and sending Lesnar off into the sunset if he doesn't resign. This is of course unless someone aka Braun Strowman gets too hot to the point they are forced to change plans. As it stands though I just see this Intercontinental title run as nothing more than a filler episode for Reigns before Mania season starts. It's unfortunate as putting it on someone like Roman Reigns instantly increases the titles value especially if guys like Balor and Joe start gunning for it.

I don't even hate the idea of Reigns vs Lesnar, their last match rocked and was match of the night at WrestleMania 31. It just doesn't need the Universal title. Have it be a grudge match and turn into a good old No Holds Barred demolition between two behemoths. If you really want Roman to end Lesnar for good then that's a more satisfying route to go rather than the main event and ending the show with Reigns yet again having his hand raised something nobody cares to see. Reigns vs Lesnar is fine for the card but have people like Balor, Joe, Strowman or whoever involved in the title picture.

It's a rumor Braun may face HHH at WM.

I'm hoping when Miz returns, he steals the title back from Reigns and Miz's next reign would be an opportunity for him to put somebody over like Braun.

I don't see how Reigns beating Brock makes him The Guy. I think the mystique around beating Brock is gone. They should have saved Cena vs. Reigns for WM. It wouldn't be too late to do a rematch though. Cena wins the RR match/title shot at EC, Reigns wins the title at RR/EC and the unpredictability factor will be back - will Cena break Flair's record at WM or will Reigns beat Cena twice (I can't recall anyone who beat Cena back-to-back PPVs clean).

I won't call myself a Reigns fan. I'd almost prefer just about anyone else in that top spot. But there isn't any denying Roman Reigns brings the Intercontinental Championship to a new level which it hasn't been in quite some time. With his win and WWE's determination to push Reigns toward the top, i would love it if Reigns pulled double duty going into the Wrestlemania season. Have him in two completely different storylines. He can focus on the road to the Universal title while defending Intercontinental title to some of the midcard guys that he can put on killer matches with like Jordan or Elias.

The IC title is a workhorse title and Roman has definitely held his own since winning the belt. His match with The Miz was certainly great. He's handed Elias his best match since Elias' WWE career started. Roman's match with Jason Jordan was killer and his match last night with Cesaro delivered big time. My point - Roman is consistant and there isn't anymore I could ask for in an Intercontinental Champion. While at first i wasn't too excited with this title win, it's actually growing on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back