Roger Ebert, Dead at 70

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
NPR said:
Ebert had been wrestling with cancer for years. Over his life, he was treated for salivary gland cancer, thyroid cancer and cancer of the jawbone. In 2006, Ebert lost his jaw and with it, his ability to talk, but he still kept up an unrelenting pace, reviewing more than 200 movies a year for the paper and keeping up an admired digital presence. On his blog and on twitter, he chronicled his struggle with cancer and just two days ago, he penned a post saying he was taking a "leave of presence."

Ebert was 70.

As a Chicagoan, as a lover of the movies, and as a writer I am deeply saddened by the loss of Roger Ebert. Quite possibly the greatest film critic the world has ever, or will ever seen. Growing up in Chicagoland and reading his reviews and commentary in the Sun Times were the reasons I got into movies in the first place. Studying his writing style and critiquing methods are what got me into reviewing things.

R.I.P.

One of the few critics who i always liked to read. Plus he's a wrestling fan(At least he said he was in his review of the Wrestler).

Damn. Really saddened by this.

Ebert is the only critic I pay attention to 100% of the time, and I have a few of his books (always loved the one on Scorsese). Didn't follow the recent series of events closely, but I Knew something was wrong, when other guest critics started posting reviews on his site, and Richard Roeper took over by reviewing the major mainstream releases.

RIP.

Sad news. As a casual movie goer, Ebert was the only movie critic that I could name off the top of my head if put on the spot. I knew he had cancer, but I am still kind of shocked by this.

Truly, he and Gene Siskel are sitting at the Pearly Gates, filling in for St. Peter while he's on a smoke break, giving people two big thumbs up as they enter. Speaking as a fan of movies, it is the only way this can be justified.

Ebert's super liberal views in his reviews would sometimes drive me insane, but he was still the one movie critic who's website I would make a point to visit weekly so I could catch up on his latest reviews. The guy's writing was mesmerizing and while at times what he put down could annoy the shit out of me, I was thoroughly entertained by it all and always interested in what he had to say. He will be missed.

Bummer, he was the best film critic I've ever seen by far. Even though he was never in a movie (that I know of) he was a huge part of movies simply because his opinions held so much merit.

Hopefully you're next journey will be 2 thumbs way up.

So sad. My favorite film critic whom I rarely disagreed with. I'll miss his elegant and articulate reviews, especially since I looked to him when we both loved a film but I was at a loss as to why.

I'll never forget Siskel and Ebert and later Ebert and Roeper. One of the rare times where I'm truly sad someone in pop culture passed away.

I loved watching his show, with Siskel, then Roeper, was sad to see it off the air. I agreed with him a lot, sometimes I didn't. He really did have a following. RIP, he will be missed. Now, he and Siskel can get back at it.

I watched Siskel and Ebert off and on during high school, usually for reviews of what I was interested in seeing. When he did the show with Roeper it wasn't as entertaining to me. Though I'm no film expert or critic, I respect the craft, as well as the work of Roger Ebert, Gene Siskel and others. While the balcony is closed down here, Siskel and Ebert are back in business up above. RIP.

That's shitty news. A reviewer I would also be sure to check out, I didn't agree with him all the time but it was enjoyable none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back