• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rocky Or Rambo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
rambo_3-2-300x267.jpg

VS

Rocky_III.jpg

Rocky Balboa and John Rambo are easily two of Sylvester Stallone's greatest characters. Both of these of these characters have been involved in some memorable moments in each of their film series. Let's take a look at both characters:

Rocky

Rocky Balboa was everyone's favorite underdog. You just loved to root for this guy. Rocky was able to come from nothing, and rise to supersartdom. Now of course the Italian Stallion had some ups and downs. He had to deal with the troubles of raising a son, the death of his beloved trainer, Mick, and he lost his confidence after his ass was handed to him in Rocky III by Clubber Lang. But Rocky was also able to rebound, and triumph over mighty foes such as Ivan Drago, Clubber, and Apollo Creed. He also managed to take out the cocky traitor, Tommy Gunn in a street fight. And in Rocky 2006, Balboa proved he still had it, as he was able to hold his own against Antonio Tarver.

Rocky is by far my favorite Stallone character. I can watch every Rocky film over and over again with no problem. Rocky is just one of those guys who want to see succeed. Stallone did a great job with this character, and each Rocky film was unique in it's own way. We all love to watch Rocky's journey through all six films, and he is one of the most popular characters in cinema history.

John Rambo

Now when it comes to Rambo, he's a lot more violent and brutal than Rocky. Rambo's character had to deal with the horrors of war, and this was shown during the end of the first film, when Rambo broke down, and told Colonel Trautman about his traumatic experiences, and how he had difficulty adapting to civilian life. Rambo gets a second chance in First Blood Part II. Trautman agrees to release Rambo from prison, but only if he goes to Vietnam to rescue American POWs. Rambo was of course successful in his mission. In First Blood part III, we saw a more benevolent side of Rambo, as he attempted to help build a Buddhist temple. Rambo refused to go on a mission offered to him by Trautman, but once Trautman is captured during the mission, Rambo rushes to his rescue. In Rambo 2008, John is hired to help rescue a group of missionaries. The old man proves he's still got it in this one, as he's able to once again take out all of the bad guys.

I like the first three Rambo films, and I thought the fourth one was okay. I just found the story to be weak, and the acting wasn't that good. As I said earlier, Rambo is a lot more viscous than Rocky, but he also has a human side. We see this in First Blood Parts one and three. Rambo should definitely be high up on the list of famous action characters.

Who's your favorite character? Rocky Or Rambo?

Which film series do you enjoy more?

While I like both of them, I fucking LOVE Rocky. The whole series are among my favorite movies of all time. I think Stallone was a genius during this time. You could feel the emotion pouring out of the Rocky movies. Even Rocky Balboa, which came out in 2006, 20 years since Rocky V, was very emotional. It also included one of the most motivational speeches ever. So, when it comes between the two, in my eyes, Rambo cant even touch Rocky.

When I was younger I actually set up a day where I didn't do anything but watch the entire series of Rocky. I loved them so much I used to work out to the soundtracks. So obviously my choice would be Rocky.

However, Rambo is definitely a good series. The first film is one of my favorite Stallone movies actually. Like Rocky, the first film is easily the best of the series.

I have to go with Rocky on this one. I can't really think of anything wrong with the Rocky series at all. Each had the perfect build up to the fight, and each movie did it differently and showed a different scene. The first movie was about an underdog off the streeets who gets noticed and gets to fight for the championship. The third film is about revenge for the death of someone close to Rocky. The fourth one is about the pride of the whole USA. I could go on, but you get the picture. Everybody loved the Rocky films, and you could see how much Stallone bonded with his character.

As for Rambo, I don't think Stallone got into that character as much as he got into Rocky. The films are great, but imo I think that they are lacking some of the energy in the build up that Rocky has. Sure, each final 20 minutes or so in all the movies are great, but I don't really get that into the build up that much. So Rocky is better than Rambo, and to me its by a mile.

I've always preferred Rocky on this one. There's more than enough movies about action and all that, so Rambo was never really anything big for me, it was actually boring. Especially compared to Rocky, a type movie we rarely ever get to see. And I think it helped that I'm a boxing fan, always have been interested in it. So the story and all the boxing really sucked me into it.

Both movies have definitely been a big thing. However I would much rather have a longer series of something you rarely see, than a series of movies that generate around a concept of action, warfare blah blah blah, like you see in practically half the action movies today.

As for the character, once again Rocky. He had a certain thing about him, he actually seemed human and you got to see his struggle from the bottom to the top to remain at the top, the private struggles, the career based struggles. All great material, where as Rambo, well it was just a war movie.

Once you've seen one Rocky you've seen them all. The first is very good, the second is very similar, the third ''Oh shit, Mr. T'', the fourth is the one everybody really likes best, what happened in the 5th? Boxing, like all the others and Balboa is a remake of the first.

Merge First Blood: Part 2 and Rambo 3 together and you've got three very different films. Certainly if you view Rambo as a comedy, like myself.

Rocky is a better film, Rambo is a better series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back