• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Road To Wrestlemania - Has THQ Produced Wrestlemania Worthy Storylines?

Ferbian

Has Returned.
The past 2 years Smackdown vs RAW has featured a storyline mode called Road to Wrestlemania, featuring about 5 different storyline scenario's that builds from around the time leading up to The Royal Rumble and all the way to Wrestlemania.

All of these storylines, at least from my personal opinion, have been rather interesting and thought provoking in terms of how a Wrestlemania storyline could be booked. Seeing as how there's speculations about Wrestlemania 27 being the place where WWE plans on unifying the world titles, a specific Road to Wrestlemania storyline comes to mind - The Brand Warfare one from Smackdown vs. Raw 2010. Champion vs Champion building into Wrestlemania in forms of various challenges to determine the match stipulation at Wrestlemania.

Or the Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 storyline with Chris Jericho leading to the point where he becomes United States champion, and steals Triple H's (Champion) belt, culminating in a Hell in a Cell match at Wrestlemania.

And of course this is just two of numerous different storylines. Interesting ones nonetheless which I thoroughly believe could be completely bookable (At least some of them) when leading into Wrestlemania. And to top it off, I think they could easily hype Wrestlemania in some way a little bit better.

What is your thoughts on this? Could you see it happening? Would you like to see it happen? Why?

I like it, great thread. I have thought this many times and how at least i type of match has already happened......Orton/Rhodes/DiBaise, it would be good to see something in real with an Edge and Christian return or even Vs Undertaker storyline was F'N great as the Rey Mysterio storyline.

So yes THQ has produced great Road to Wrestlemania Storylines.......actually there storylines are better than what the WWE Creative team has come up with for a wrestlemania main event or even mid card match.

Woo Woo Woo You Know IT

I have to agree, THQ has some pretty sweet storyline writers, even though in a games discussion, I'd say I found the HCTP season mode more entertaining. That's for another topic I guess.

I don't see WWE ever really taking much notice of what THQ does though. Even if they DO produce storylines superior to those of the real WWE, and these storylines ARE more than good enough for Wrestlemania, I don't see them ever being more than a career mode for a video game.

Hey man good shout! As an avid fan of the SvR series I would have to agree with you on this call.

I would say some of these Road To Wrestlemania storylines are top quality. This years Chris Jericho storyline was very thought provoking and actually believable. I can't decide if the build up to the HIAC match at Wrestlemania in the game was better than the actualy Wrestlemania 18 build up back in 2002. I liked the fact they played to Jerichos heel role by having him steal the title,throw HHH through the Jeritron etc. Each week had me excited about what could potentially happen unlike real life. Another RTWM I thought was very believable and was better than current storylines was Christian's. Of course when he returns everyone will be crying out for a Edge storyline but this one was perfectly booked. Minus the MITB at Elimination Chamber this storyline could play out perfectly in the near future.

WWE kinda followed THQ's Orton RTWM in SvR 2010 when they had the Legacy triple threat but it wasn't that great. But as you said absolutely the WWE Creative team could definitely learn from THQ

This years is pretty lame IMO. The Undertaker storyline is reasonable though the choice of opponents you can chose from is awfull (beside Dolph Ziggler maybe).

The Edge and Christian one is somewhat funny

The John Cena one is STUPID!!!!!!! as is his character in the storyline, even more lame than his onscreen person.

The whole idea of a RPG type story doesn't work in SVR2011. there are only a few moral choices, but the outcome is still the same in the end. and only a few times does interacting with backstage people not directly involved in the storyline just results in them telling you to piss off almost always til you bug them enough to start a brawl that jsut ends up as a chopping contest.

Also might add you can earn points to build up your character but only enough to max out one and half bars of stats out of a possible 20 or so and regardless it doesn't improve your characters ability in any noticeable form.

In the past 2 yrs some of the story they chose mirrored what was a possibility leading upto the following yrs WrestleMania and were entertaining. Not the case this year, no chance in hell any of them are remotely possible as a reality.

As for who designed them, do you really think it was THQ that came up with the storylines? why would WWE who has a creative team allow a games developer who are not in the business of wrestling to dictate storylines in a WWE wrestling game. Sure they would say what would be possible in terms of programming but the creative would still be WWE determined not THQ.

I'm A SvR Nut, Love the games, and love playing the RTWM's. So Having Storylines that are realistically based on the superstar, it feels more real.
As for WWE using one/two/more of the storylines, it could work. Look At Jericho's, if he was still in WWE at the time, the whole 'i deserve a title shot' and stealing the title would be great to watch, same with Cena's RTWM with Orton as GM, just change Cena or Orton to another top face/heel and you have a great storyline. But if these were used, it would be predicatable for the veiwer, seeing as they have probley played the story 2/3 times...I'm just Sayin...

I'm quite a fan of the Road to Wrestlemania mode, some of the storylines are great. My only problem is some of them aren't completly realistic, some can be done but they kinda feel like storylines that could be done better 5 years ago, for one thing match types may differ every week and that dosen't happen anymore.

I'm not negitive on this, I love Road to wrestlemania mode, it has become a staple in the svr games in recent years but I feel that some storylines can't be really realistic or would of worked before the PG era.

THQ has always produced amazing storylines in my opinion, ever since Here Comes the Pain (and possibly before that, but HCTP was the first wrestling game I owned to actually get into it). WWE Creative (as well as TNA and even other game developers) could definitely learn from the guys who book SvR matches in THQ. It's almost like those guys are not just making wrestling games, but are actual fans of wrestling, which is good. Very good.

This is regarding 2009 ... For the most part they are ok ... but hardly build ups that would make me Order WM. Chris Jericho's Masked Man storyline, Triple H joining Evolution or DX, and yep Undertaker feuding with Boogeyman ... okeeey

Well dude they have gotten WAY better since 09. Why would you even bring that into the equation? There's been 10 or so new RTWM's since those.

Well I have 2010; the only Road to WM I finished was Orton's.

Its funny actually, for some reason I haven't played it since; guess the Road to WM is just not as compelling. I actually like the career mode in Know Your Role and Here Comes the Pain more. I guess the Road to WM is just a bit to restrictive for my taste.

That's what I was thinking before a few days. There are lots of awesome storylines so far in the RTWM modes from the different SvR games. I love the Edge-Christian one, the Jericho-HHH feud is also cool, the build to those matches itself is great and I think the WWE Writers should get some tips from the THQ guys. :wtf: :lmao:

So yes THQ has produced great Road to Wrestlemania Storylines.......actually there storylines are better than what the WWE Creative team has come up with for a wrestlemania main event or even mid card match.

Actually, the WWE writers are the ones that come up with the storylines for Road to WrestleMania, not THQ.

But I agree, some of the storylines in the past few games have been quite good. With all these Legends in the games, doesn't anyone think they should make a Legend's Road to WrestleMania???? :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back