• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Right After These Paid Advertisements

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
So dispite this being an issue of mine, I just recently thought of something. On almost every W.W.E. - D.V.D., anytime a match from a televised show is put on a D.V.D., they still manage to keep it with parts cut out, due to the commercial(s).

The reason for this thread, is to ask how many people it annoys? And also to get the opinions from everyone on what they'd think, if say for example.. it was a special D.V.D. "extra" that instead of the original televised match, complete with random cut-away.. if it was instead that same match, in its ENTIRETY?!

Think about this logic for a second. Anytime a Championship match is on a televised show that breaks away to a commercial, don't you always remember the announcers saying "If the match ends while we're at break, we'll show you what happened when we return." Obviously that means they still record during the break.

Now, for purpose sake, I really don't believe the announcers' continue talking throughout the commercial breaks, but in my opinion they should. The reason why is for two purposes. The first, obviously, in one of those weird random occurances if the match really did end during the break. (which, lets face it, thats never happened to my knowledge) The second, however, is because it could one day become a highlight match on a D.V.D.. and the match could be seen on that 'said' D.V.D. in whole.. complete withOUT the cut-away.

The reason for this random placed rant is because I recently watched the Hardy Boyz D.V.D., or at least Matt Hardy's side of it. And he has a few televised matches that cut away to commercial. First, when a highlight match on a D.V.D. is against Joey Mercury.. I'm not too thrilled about knowing I paid for that. Second, it pisses me off more when I know the whole (shit) match, isn't even whole.. because it still has a random piece of blankness due to them going to commercial.

I just think it'd be a lot better for all points above, if the match (on a D.V.D.) was shown as a whole match. It'd give extra reason to buy a D.V.D. filled with televised matches. I mean, its not like they're getting paid extra for taking that same "break" in a D.V.D. spot anyways. So what does everyone think about this issue?

First of all, I feel sorry for you because you actually watched the Hardy Boyz DVD, but at least in your defense, it was Matt and not Jeff, so it's somewhat okay.

Now onto the question at hand. It depends. Some old DVD's used to have the matches going on during the break. However, the action during the break is usually terrible. The guys know they aren't live, so it's usually two minutes of stall time while the commercials are on. Mostly ways for people to work the crowd. They pick it back up about ten seconds before they go back live and it makes it appear the match has been intense as hell.

You'll notice it. The match never goes to break while the guys are in the ring or in a high impact situation. The match usually goes to break while both guys are laid out on the floor.

I Think it is really stupid its like they are to lazy fix it up. It feels like a "copy and paste job" how hard could it be to add the whole match without being able to notice where the ad breaks are. its just like how they can edit the dvd change boos to cheers, erase certain parts but they cant edit the parts where it makes you feel like its live. and the adverts for the next ppv and such why cant they edit them out? the thing that pisses me off is not that they leave out the part thats happening. Its the part where its obvious it went for an ad break the whole blackout thing. its just not wrestling dvds its any tv show box set.

First of all, I feel sorry for you because you actually watched the Hardy Boyz DVD, but at least in your defense, it was Matt and not Jeff, so it's somewhat okay.

While I have no excuse, the truth is I really wanted to see the D.V.D. because of the story. For Matt, I wanted to hear more of the issues with him, Amy Dumas and Adam Copeland. (Jeff had more negative/bitching within explaining the situation than Matt did) Meanwhile, for Jeff.. I wanted to know if he'd mention anything T.N.A. (which he not only did, slightly, but he even used the word "T.N.A.", which shocked me) and I also wanted to know about his drug issues.

The story is worth buying the D.V.D.. the "extras/matches" aren't. Matt has his victory over Kane from Vengeance and Edge from Unforgiven. Then a match against Mr. Kennedy (best match on the whole D.V.D., not counting Edge) and finally Joey Mercury. (My personal WTF of the entire thing) He also has a decent match with the Hardyz against Shane Helms and some other guy.

I'm not 100% for what Jeff has, but I bet it involves leaping and gimmicks. :p

Now onto the question at hand. It depends. Some old DVD's used to have the matches going on during the break. However, the action during the break is usually terrible. The guys know they aren't live, so it's usually two minutes of stall time while the commercials are on. Mostly ways for people to work the crowd. They pick it back up about ten seconds before they go back live and it makes it appear the match has been intense as hell.

I understand exactly what you mean with the fact that typically during commercial they just milk the match with either selling their fall that got them to break, or a lot of rest holds. But is it truly any different than full Pay Per View matches?

I mean there aren't breaks in those matches, and typically an average Pay Per View match goes 10-15 minutes. With a lot of weardown in between.

You'll notice it. The match never goes to break while the guys are in the ring or in a high impact situation. The match usually goes to break while both guys are laid out on the floor.

The reason I hate this is because even though the commercial break might not hold a lot of action, its still the match itself. I hate not knowing what happened and a lot of times they return with the opposite guy in control.. and that REALLY pisses me off.

Its like.. we go to break, the face is in control, the heel is outside regrouping. We come back, and BAM, the face is getting his ass kicked as the heel not only regrouped but did something we'll never know about because Burger King has a new hamburger they wanna attempt selling.

The other issue I have is those one or two big moves they normally show in replays.. I honestly don't like replays during my matches, because it takes my focus off the live action.

I agree with you Will. This is such an annoying thing. On tv, there's only so much that can be done about it, but on a dvd, why not? I have a problem believing that WWE would turn off the cameras or the feed during the breaks, as there's always a chance they might not be able to get them back on in time. As for the line about it ending during the break, I don't recall it ever happening either, not even on ECW. Putting a match on hold for a commercial is very irritating. Even if the match is bad, it's still a wrestling match and therefore better than most other things on tv at the time. If I'm going to watch a match, I want to see the whole thing. A DVD release of something like this would be great. Even a bad match is still a match, and I'd like to see it.

I too watched the “extra” matches on the Matt Hardy DVD and was annoyed with the two TV matches you mentioned. The commercial break portions were very obvious, and neither match had a replay of what we missed during the break. Normally I don’t like those on my screen either, distracting from the in-ring action, but sometimes they are needed.

I also don’t think they stop rolling cameras just because they ‘know’ they’re on commercial break. I’d think for liability reasons in case something happened like with a fan or an injury, they’d keep rolling so they’d have that footage if they needed to call it up at a later date and time, which means that footage would be available for DVD purposes.

I say if they aren’t going to show the match in its entirety, then don’t bother including it on the DVD. When including “extra” matches on DVDs, they should be something special, complete, and hard to find elsewhere. We could probably find those same two matches for free on YouTube or somewhere; to me that somewhat cheapens the DVD’s overall value.

First of all,it is pretty annoying.I can understand having to run commercials during the show,but why can't they show the match in its entirety on the DVD.I have a copy of the DX DVD.And on that DVD there is a match where they showed the cameras rolling when they went to commercial during the match.And there were no announcers just to clarify that.Now if it happens on one match why not all of them.But once again its a matter of Vince not caring about the fans,just the money money money.And Uncle Shockey,I don't know what your problem is with the Hardys because they are extremley talented atheletes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back