• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rey Mysterio Heel Faction

bioshock

Getting Noticed By Management
And idea popped in my head today, what are a few things we have yet to see, and changes in wrestling? Well "heels" can now be seen as more popular than some "faces" i.e Wyatts & Shield. Mysterio has never been a heel, and WWE has never had a "light weight" faction.

The premise behind a faction (3 to 5 guys total) lead by Rey Mysterio, could be a "anger" against the system, anger against the "bigger guys" like Big Show, Big E, The Shield, and so on.

To kick off a faction like such, Mysterio would start some beef with the Big Show about how he gets title matches at Survivor Series just because of his size, and how Mysterio gets nothing because he isn't "tall enough" (you get the drift), it leads to Mysterio attacking Big Show but to no real gain doing nothing to hurt Big Show, it gets announced that Big Show will face Myterio on a following Raw.

On the following Raw, Big Show tries to tell Mysterio that he doesn't want to fight him, hurt him ect.. Tries to be nice about it, but Mysterio keeps pushing at Big Show and the match goes on back and forth with mostly Big Show knocking around Mysterio, but to further Mysterio over as a heel, he does the usual cheating and bad guy tactics, plays the crowd. At the end of the match Mysterio with a chair goes after Big Shows knees, shouting that hes going to cut down the Big Show, at that time a couple of "light weights" run down like; Justin Gabriel, and Kofi Kingston.

While Mysterio is attacking Big Shows knees with the chair and Gabriel & Kingston come into the ring with fans expecting them to stop Mysterio, they instead just look at Mysterio, then turn around and attack Big Show, until enough refs finally come down to stop them.

And there you have it Mysterio, Gabriel, and Kingston all turn heels, all cheating and playing the crowd, with their main objective to attack "big guys" and go after their knees.

I'm not going any further with how that plays out. What it does do though is it gets Mysterio back on tv in a major role, it gets Gabriel and Kingston in major roles doing something (doesn't need to be these guys, could be Bourne or Kidd ect..). In this current WWE the heels are just as popular as the good guys are, Mysterio, Gabriel and Kingston right now are anything but overly popular, not only does it get Mysterio back on tv, but in a faction of 3 or more guys, he wont need to be in all the matches, like the Shield where Dean might be the guy on the outside or Reigns, the same could be done with Mysterio, or having him in the faction he can be in the matches, but wouldn't need to spend much time in the ring. Not only that, a heel Mysterio doesn't need to do all the popular high flying moves he normally does > win win.

And there is no getting around the facts: 6 man tag wrestling is extremely popular for the first time since the Free Birds in WCCW, and the light weights in WWE are going no-where while struggling to get tv time on Raw.

Your thoughts on such a group, would it work? Or how would you better the idea.

the biggest problem with a group of small guys, heel or face, is relying them to stay healthy. especially the smaller, high flyer types. I'd be concerned that this group might get someone hurt in the Big Show beatdown you describe and they're out for 6 months. I think you could have a faction of mid card guys specializing in 6 man, but I'm not sure about these 3.

(For the record, Mysterio spend a little bit of time in WCW as a heel. He (unmasked), Konnan and Kidman were this same kind of against the establishment group you describe going up against Hogan in the last days of WCW.

This wouldn't work. Crowds want to pop for the high flying style moves. They're "wow" moments thus hard to dislike. Could you imagine booing a 450 splash? Ha. Not going to happen.

David and Goliath has been a story told for many ages. No one wants to boo the underdog. A group of underdogs being boo'd at one time? No thanks. It just won't work.

All it takes is the right script and the right wrestlers to execute the script and anyone can be boo'd. everyone is into the moment of the "yes" movement and I get that, but there was a time, right before he lost the world belt in under 60 seconds, where Daniel bryan the underdog was boo'd because he was also being a woman abusing asshole. cm punk was boo'd for a lot of his title reign if for no other reason his association with heyman.

if such a group could be formed and the right wrestler was willing to put them over, people would boo them.

"WWE never had a lightweight group"... The Mexicools disagree with you. As do the original Kaientai with Taka, Funaki, Togo, and Teioh.

This group idea would never work because nobody wants to boo Rey Mysterio, which is why he's never been a heel. He's one of their biggest merchandise movers, even when he's injured and on the shelf. Therefore there's zero incentive to turn him heel. If they want to get Rey involved on television in a major role again they simply need to restart the cruiserweight division and let him start working with guys his size again.

This wouldn't work. Crowds want to pop for the high flying style moves. They're "wow" moments thus hard to dislike. Could you imagine booing a 450 splash? Ha. Not going to happen.

David and Goliath has been a story told for many ages. No one wants to boo the underdog. A group of underdogs being boo'd at one time? No thanks. It just won't work.

Rollins has been a heel for over a year now and is just now turning face, he had those kind of moves that get pops. So that doesn't mean just cause they fly around they need to be faces, same goes for Y2J he always did moves that got pops, but as a heel most of the time. And even Gabriel played a heel for a while as part of Nexus all the while doing all his high flying moves, so again high flying has nothing to do with it and is no reason to keep these guys faces.

And yes David vs Goliath has been told for year, and David always plays the role of the good guy. This heel group I'm talking about wouldn't make them a group of DB like under dogs. They would just be out to fight against the system, against the big guys, cheating, playing to the crowd, doesn't really mean they need to fly around more then usual.

I don't see a heel faction with Rey Mysterio as a significant part of it working out well at all. Rey Mysterio is one of those guys that would be very difficult to turn into an effective heel. His size, his style of wrestling, the masks, his connection with the kids in the audience, all of these things are significant obstacles to overcome in turning a guy who has been face for pretty much all of his career into an effective and plausible heel.

Some guys are nearly impossible to turn heel effectively. Remember when they tried to turn Stone Cold Steve Austin into a heel? Just didn't work, the fans didn't buy into it at all. Likewise, I think it would be extremely difficult to turn the Undertaker into a heel at this stage of his career. The fans simply want to cheer him too much, making a plausible heel turn very challenging. This is why I continuously wish for a John Cena heel turn. I think Cena possesses the versatility to be able to go from a super face who connects with the kids in the audience, moves a ton of merchandise, etc., into a plausible and effective heel. Not everyone is able to do this and personally, I don't think Mysterio would be able to pull it off at this point of his career.

As others have said, it is difficult as well to turn a bunch of smaller high fliers into a faction of heels. I'm not saying it cannot be done, but it is difficult. And of course, turning Rey Mysterio into an effective heel works on the premise that he can go two or three weeks without blowing out his knee, tearing ligaments, pulling something, whatever.

Personally I would maintain the status quo with Rey Mysterio until he is ready to call it quits. Keep him as a face and a minimally used one. Keep him away from the titles or any major storylines. And keep on moving that merchandise until he is ready to end his in ring career.

Mysterio is done. His time is over and will probably get injured in this program. Move on.

If you want someone to be in that position, we have guys like Ziggler, Miz and so many more waiting in the back for that shot, that are not that much injury prone and have more hunger inside to chase the spotlight.

Mysterio being a heel is impossible.. It wouldnt work,kids love him to death.. He sells merch like crazy,is adored by children.. A group of little guys especially in a heel faction,has no shelf life to it whatsoever.. People wanna cheer the underdog,hell 90% of us relate to the underdog.. Thats why we all love Daniel Bryan so much..

I couldn't imagine boo'ing a 619 or his west coast pop! I give you credit though,at least its an original thought

I just don't see it working with Rey Mysterio. As others have pointed out, Mysterio moves a lot of merchandise and has for years. He's popular with kids because he actually looks kinda sorta like a superhero with the mask and the colorful ring attire, really like Sin Cara. When it comes to guys, whether we're kids or adults, we like to look at things that're bright and shiny. :) It grabs our attention and tends to hold it, though our attention goes over more to women when we're adults, but we still get distracted by bright and shiny things too.

Mysterio makes too much money for WWE as he currently is, plus I just don't see Mysterio as a heel. They went that route in WCW for a while and it didn't really make much of an impact. Essentially, they took away Rey's mask and had him dress like a stereotypical Latino thug. Rey doesn't have the mic skills to be the leader of a heel faction, especially a heel faction compose of agile, high flyers. The last heel faction of agile, high flyers that I can recall off the top of my head was 3 Count in WCW. It was sort of an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of boy bands like N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys and it was wretched to watch; it was made all the worse with the introduction of Tank Abbott into the angle.

Mysterio is at a point in his life and career where his in-ring stuff is really, really winding down. Over the course of the past year, I've probably seen Mysterio wrestle a total of 8 or 10 times. He's almost 40 years old, he's been wrestling since he was in his mid teens and the Lucha Libre style has taken its toll on his body. I forget if it's his left knee, his right knee or if it's both, but at least one of his knees is shot to shit. He's had multiple surgeries and he's even undergone treatment involving the implantation of stem cells into one of them in the hopes of regrowing the damaged tissue, which is pretty much a Hail Mary at this point.

Rey tried being a heel and having a stable. The Misfits in Action were terrible. Let's more on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back