Report: Update On Taker's Return

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to The Bleacher Report in a story originally from F4WOnline.com, there's a POSSIBILITY of The Undertaker returning to WWE in the near future. Taker hasn't been seen since the angle with The Shield putting him through a table on SmackDown!, which is said to have caused some kind of injury but I'll be damned if I've read anything yet that says or even hints at what the injury was supposed to be. As a result, a planned tag team match featuring him with his "brother" Kane taking on The Shield at SummerSlam had to be scrapped.

The report says that Taker had agreed to work one non-WrestleMania ppv in 2013. The report further states that he MIGHT return for either Survivor Series or Royal Rumble next year and that he met with Triple H last week, a meeting in which some ideas were presented to him. There's nothing in the report on what those ideas were, nor what Taker thought about them. Of course, whether he returns before the final build into WM begins post Royal Rumble depends on how he feels.

In my opinion, if Taker feels up to it and wants to, I think the Survivor Series would benefit from his presence more than the Rumble.

Royal Rumble PPV Buys: 2010-2013

2010 - 465,000
2011 - 446,000
2012 - 443,000
2013 - 579,000

Survivor Series PPV Buys: 2009-2012

2009 - 235,000
2010 - 244,000
2011 - 312,000
2012 - 208,000

The Royal Rumble, like WM is a ppv that consistently draws very big numbers for WWE. Survivor Series has been more of a roller coaster the. The 2011 show was up significantly due to The Rock teaming with John Cena in his first wrestling match in nearly a decade. Last year's show downright tanked, barely drawing over 200,000 buys and Survivor Series is one of WWE's original Big Four.

Taker returning at either Survivor Series or the Rumble, if he's physically up to it, would no doubt jack up the buys for either show. The Survivor Series is the show that's in need of a major boost, especially since a good number of people no longer view the show with the prestige needed for a "Big Four" kind of feel. The Royal Rumble is almost certainly going to draw big numbers with or without Taker. It might not draw as much as it did this year, but I'd expect it to be in line with what 2010-2012 drew.

So IF Taker returns, which show do you feel he should make his return and in what sort of capacity?

I'm probably one of the guys that really enjoys watching the Survivor Series events from the 80's and early 90's when it was a themed pay-per-view with Elimination Multi-Tag matches really being the focus of the show - most of the time, it was guys put together at random but the matches delivered big time and winning it was actually special for that weekend - what I want to say is that I totally understand the reason why it was a big deal back then.

Now, I mean, The Survivor Series is a pay-per-view as important as Battleground or whatever. I mean, it's not a big deal and it doesn't have that thing that once did that actually made it feel special and different for the Sunday Thanksgiving Day - it's just another one with some good and some bad matches to hype up for the consumer.

Bringing back The Undertaker would probably create more interest for it, but I don't see it being a big deal to change the buys all that much. It really depends on the program they give him - if he's seeking retribution against The Shield, I could totally see him being part of a multi-man tag match between Corporate Guys and Anti-Corporate Guys, but if they want to make us forget that Undertaker had something going with The Shield, then they can make him comeback to rescue his brother from The Wyatts or whatever.

The thing is that Undertaker is special at WrestleMania because of his streak, it always generate buzz from whomever is challenging it and what not, so that will be a draw despite everything. For this PPV they really need to be careful, because we don't want to put that much of The Undertaker to risk an injure, but we don't want to put less than what the buyers paid to see. I mean the Elimination match for me would be the best thing for him and it could help a lot of the wrestlers involved to get that kind of exposure. I for one am up for it and would love to see him being used in a more classical form in this PPV, so let's wait and see.

At The Rumble, it could have been used to set up his match at WrestleMania and that's something that's needed since his thing with Punk was pretty much put by the last minute, and that created an obvious predictability. However, I'm sure I will be sold for whomever they decide to put him against, even if it's like four weeks before the event so I would rather watch him at Survivor Series this year, helping the younger kids, freshening up a bit the current storylines and help the PPV feel more special again.

Let's look at this from a few perspectives.

1. Health - UT's health is certainly a concern. I'm not one of those people that thinks the guy can't go and work a full program but I also don't think it's worth risking his health that could take him away from the big WM pay day. That being said Survivor Series makes more sense. He can work the 5 on 5 or another tag and let others do a lot of the work while still being on screen for a long period of time. The fans will accept if he doesn't go out and kill himself for 20 minutes. Also, competing at the Rumble doesn't give UT as much time to recoup if he gets banged up.

2. Storyline - Survivor Series makes some sense. He can help his brother in his war with the Wyatt's. He could join the face team of the 5 on 5. He wouldn't have to appear on live television and they could throw him in. The Rumble is far more intriguing storyline wise. There is a ton of speculation about who he will face at WM. Knowing he will be at or compete in the Rumble would make for a great story. I'm sure they wouldd get lots of buys from people who want to be there if UT is going to call out an opponent or (deep breath) win the Rumble making his WM match title v streak.

3. Money - this is tough. On one hand SS needs the extra draw. Especially with Cena still being on the shelf and it being unlikely The Rock, Lesnar or HHH fighting. Maybe Hogan will be free by then and they can incorporate him? On the other hand based on Jack Hammer's numbers it appears that WWE was able to squeeze more buys out of The Rock RR special appearance over his SS special appearance. Makes me think people will spend more for a special UT appearnace at RR as well.

Personally I'd get more excited if he appeared in the Rumble but I understand why they would go with SS.

There are a lot of things that we need to take into consideration here:

Health: The main concern is for Taker to be able to work at WM, so if WWE can avoid him getting any injuries without serious PPV number drawbacks would be great. Now, if he is due to make an appearance, then Survivor Series seems the best option for me, as, as it was already said, will give him more time to heal in case he gets injured.

PPV buys / Money in general: As reported by JackHammer, the buyrates for SS are way lower than RR, so, if we can agree that Taker will boost the buys, then the best choice is to utilize him at SS, as I don't think that more than 500k people will buy PPVs anyway. That being said though, I think that they can still produce some good numbers if they make SS feel special. I remember last year they gave us a random 5 on 5 match to kick off the show. The match was great, but it was just a throw - away filler with no storyline /history behind it, so people couldn't get excited for it. The other 5 on 5 was again a random filler (started with Punk vs Foley and ended up in some other match). If they can book a decent 5 on 5 elimination match, with a lot of hype and some brutality in the Raws prior to that, then people will get that "big fight feel" and will most probably increase the buy rates. Undertaker being there, inserted in any storyline, will make people excited too, which means probably more buys. So, money-wise, I'd choose Taker to appear at SS.

Storylines: This is a tough one, and can have a lot of twists, depending on the current ones and on who he is gonna face at WM. SS can give him a program with Kane vs Wyatts, which will be a good feud and help the Wyatts get over. He can also work an elimination 5 on 5 match, of course siding the faces, although his insertion in that storyline will be kinda strange, as in I don't know how he will be fit in that. After that, he can disappear after being destroyed by the Wyatts, of some sort of firing by HHH, depending again on the match he is into and appear close to WM (after the EC PPV) to set the match at WM. Seems like a logical scenario, which can attract fans and create excitement.
As far as the RR goes, I can't see what role he can play there yet, because first of all, we don't know how the corporate storyline will be at that point and secondly, we gotta know if the Rock will work Mania, if Cena will return etc etc. Let's say that Cena will return at the Rumble and Rock won't appear at Mania. Taker can always appear as a surprise entry at the actual Rumble match, get eliminated by someone, bla bla bla, and setup a feud with said someone for his match at WM. Depending on the corporate storyline, he can also be inserted in a feud there, but the Wyatt and Kane thing seems farfetched, since it seems it will have to be dragged a lot to reach the Rumble. Bottom line is that the Rumble PPV will be used more as a setup to his match at WM rather than an actual feud, as opposed to SS. For that reason alone, it's better for Taker to work SS, scenario-wise, because it can create something out of nothing and hype up stuff and get other Superstars over.

So, all the above points pretty much shout Survivor Series, but things can radically change, depending on the twists and turns that the current storylines will have. But in my opinion, based on what I said above, SS seems like the best option.

I used to love the Survivor Series as a kid. I still remember how in awe I was when Taker debut at that very event. I was almost scared lol. That being said, Survivor Series could definitely use the boost if he were to return. The Royal Rumble is a ppv that sells itself, and the past has shown that Taker doesn't need to be there to effectively build his feud for Mania. He could easily return at the Survivor Series this yeah to help Kane against the Wyatts. He, Kane, and The Wyatts could even build five man teams to go against each other. It would be a traditional Survivor Series match, and would limit Undertaker's involvement even more if they wanted to keep him on lite duty that night. It just seems like that ppv would benefit so much more than the Royal Rumble that fans are likely to buy anyway.

The problem Survivor Series has is they long ago got away from the format that worked. It was a snapshot of the WWF in one night... 5 man teams, made up of all levels of the card, all of them feuding with an opposing member. You could see who was on the way up, the way down and important as they'd pin their feud enemy or captain a team.

If they're going that route it's worth bringing Undertaker back, but for the modern "just another frigging show" mentality then they're better not to bother and save it for the Rumble. Imagine the roof blowing off when the lights go down mid match... and someone uses it to eliminate a Brock Lesnar or Ryback, which sets up them going after Taker...

Royal Rumble PPV Buys: 2010-2013

2010 - 465,000
2011 - 446,000
2012 - 443,000
2013 - 579,000

Survivor Series PPV Buys: 2009-2012

2009 - 235,000
2010 - 244,000
2011 - 312,000
2012 - 208,000

I would have said The Rumble sells itself but looking at those figures with a big draw on the card, it sells so much better. Those jumps which featured The Rock on the card are proof in the pudding this guy is a huge draw. People still question him coming back and WWE bringing him back....its laughable!!!!

Any road, I think Survivor Series would be better for Takers return. The numbers arent as strong as Rumble regardless so it probably needs a boost.

Rumble will still get 450,000+ regardless, Survivor Series could drop below 200,000 this year with no Cena or other than favourites like Sheamus, Mark Henry or Mysterio on the card.

As we know, there are reports (which I still don't believe) that WWE wants Undertaker vs. Ryback at WM XXX and that Ryback was going to break the streak. Here's how WWE can give us that storyline and add some legitimacy: Have Ryback vs. Undertaker at Survivor Series or the Rumble. Let Ryback win and have it be really brutal to the point where Ryback "injures" Undertaker. Then have Undertaker come back a few weeks later and challenge Ryback for a rematch at Wrestlemania. This would actually make Undertaker-Ryback interesting since it would look much more legitimate and reasonable that he could break the streak. Then you have Undertaker win at WM so you put Ryback over by letting him beat Taker at one of the other big PPVs but the streak stays intact and everyone's happy.

I think the Rock adding more to the Rumble than Survivor Series was down to the match he was in. At Survivor Series him and Cena were whooping a couple of glorified mid carders who'd been booked as jokes, at the Rumble he was fighting for the WWE title against WWE's second top star and looking to end the longest reign of the modern era.

I think Survivor Series would be ideal as it is the event he debuted at and they can really hype that and build to his return at this years event with vignettes showcasing his history at it.

The other aspect to take into account is the theme of Survivor Series, I know it's been diluted over the years but the 5 vs 5 (or 4 vs 4) elimination tag match is a perfect fit for both of Taker's potential fights, whether it be helping Kane against the Wyatt's or going after The Shield as they the are the ones that put him out of action and JBL is always on about it being "their yard" now.

nice post man, i can't wait to see undertaker again.
i think undertaker should return at surviour series and see a big match with taker and the shield. the wyatt family really can't keep my attention i feel wyatt family sucks really.

Survivor Series could definitely use some sort of attraction to boost the event back up to big four levels. Also, as many have stated, it would make more sense health wise for 'Taker to appear at Survivor Series. It would give him more time to recover after the event should he get banged up and he could be put into some sort of tag match with Kane vs the Wyatts or vs the Shield.

I think that Survivor Series definitely makes to most sense here.

'Taker isn't returning for a match until Mania. If he were to return at Survivor Series or Royal Rumble, how would they then hype his return for Mania? Hyping his return is an anniual thing now and it's only going to be done for the big show.

'Taker isn't returning for a match until Mania. If he were to return at Survivor Series or Royal Rumble, how would they then hype his return for Mania? Hyping his return is an anniual thing now and it's only going to be done for the big show.

My thoughts exactly.

Sometimes you have to let people stew with their thoughts and let the hype work for you. It's the reason film sequels don't come out straight away: let the audience build up an excitement for your product. Having Taker come back and be 1/10th of a match or a giving him a small cameo at the Rumble takes away from the aura.

I wasn't happy when he returned for RAW 1000 because it did nothing for him but I can see why they did it because they wanted to create a 'moment' for the anniversary episode.

A surprise rumble entry at 30 wouldn't need any hype. In fact if he did join and win the rumble that would set up 1 hellish mania match. With Cena Or Orton. Streak vs Belt.. Then Taker can go out on top like he deserves..

A surprise rumble entry at 30 wouldn't need any hype. In fact if he did join and win the rumble that would set up 1 hellish mania match. With Cena Or Orton. Streak vs Belt.. Then Taker can go out on top like he deserves..

Part of Taker's appeal and aura now is that he only appears at Mania. If he were to win the Rumble, you run the risk of overexposing him on the run to Mania, which can take away some of the mystique of the streak match.

Don't overexpose your rare commodities. A little goes a long way and the spectacle of The Undertaker, a 21-0 streak with a phenomenal legacy, shouldn't be used to fix every problem. If the WWE is so worried about Survivor Series buy-rates, maybe they should focus on building some talent that might actually be around for the next couple of years

Undertaker's return will likely increase the ratings or buy-rate for the show he's on after a while off TV, so you think it'd be worth having him as a surprise entrant in The Rumble?

Also him winning the Rumble really means he needs to remain on TV for the majority of the run up to Mania, by which time his Mania match won't feel as special.

Part of Taker's appeal and aura now is that he only appears at Mania. If he were to win the Rumble, you run the risk of overexposing him on the run to Mania, which can take away some of the mystique of the streak match.

Don't overexpose your rare commodities. A little goes a long way and the spectacle of The Undertaker, a 21-0 streak with a phenomenal legacy, shouldn't be used to fix every problem. If the WWE is so worried about Survivor Series buy-rates, maybe they should focus on building some talent that might actually be around for the next couple of years

While I agree about building talent I dont think having Taker win the rumble as a unannounced entry will hurt his build up. For 1 very simple reason, the rumble is the start of the road to mania, so he would be advertised anyway,

Undertaker's return will likely increase the ratings or buy-rate for the show he's on after a while off TV, so you think it'd be worth having him as a surprise entrant in The Rumble?

Also him winning the Rumble really means he needs to remain on TV for the majority of the run up to Mania, by which time his Mania match won't feel as special.

Why does winning the rumble mean he would have to be on tv??? I think it would add so much more if he wasn't on tv. They could do some of the classic taker mind games on his opponent. IE lightning in the ring during a match or a huge cross on stage...

I don't know what will happen with Taker and his match for WrestleMania 30. I would like to see his return @ Royal Rumble and having build for his retirement match or possibly having his return @ Mania leading into a year long farewell tour. We all know Taker cannot last much longer simply because of age and the injury factor since he only works one day a year for the most part aside from a few tags or appearances setting up or after Mania. As for who he should face, I don't really know to be honest. There are many choices and if WWE want Taker's legacy to be cemented, he shouldn't lose @ WrestleMania and cement his legendary streak leaving him undefeated. It is something that is unparalleled in all of WWE to be undefeated @ WrestleMania for the amount of appearances at the event itself and for him to lose would make his prior wins seem unimportant. I guess we shall see soon enough who will face him, though currently I'd be leaning more towards Ryback, Cena, or Lesnar.

Taker should return only at the Raw before mania or at Mania and make this one his last, whomever he beats can say it was their honor being Takers last opponent and start to dominate the roster in Takers honor

everyone is concerned for the deadpans' health and were supposed to believe he should still be winning all the WM matches? well, if you do it against old fucks like HBK and HHH, its more than believable.

He deserves one more casket match at the last ppv of the year, slam him in it, and say goodbye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back