• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Report: Unique HOF Headliner

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to PWInsider.com, WWE plans to do something unusual as part of the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2014. The report states that WWE plans to induct the main event from WrestleMania I as the headliner for this year's induction ceremony. Word is that the idea being pitched involves the induction of Hulk Hogan, Mr. T., Rowdy Roddy Piper & Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff, essentially resulting in Hogan, Piper & Orndorff becoming two time inductees. It's also possible that Jimmy Superfly Snuka & Cowboy Bob Orton will be inducted as they each played roles in the WrestleMania I main event. Mr. T. has, allegedly, turned down an induction invite in the past, but the report says that WWE has reached out to him again and they're negotiating.

This would mark the first time that a wrestling match itself is inducted into any sort of HOF. While a bit on the odd side, it does have a certain allure about it as it was the very first main event of the very first WrestleMania. There's no word on whether or not inducting a match will be a one time deal, but it opens the door to other matches, especially "first time" matches like Taker vs. HBK in the first Hell in a Cell or the first TLC match.

I think that's stupid and clearly shows that WWE induct too many individuals each year.

Adopt the TNA model (I know, right!) and start this year by inducting one person, The Ultimate Warrior. Have people share stories and have a whole night dedicated to him.

So Warrior won't be the headliner?

I guess it could be interesting. Seems like a weird idea to induct a match but I get the point they're going for.

That could also potentially set Hogan up to be a three time Hall of Fame member because I'm guessing at some point the nwo is going to go in. Even if it's just Hogan, Hall and Nash.

The first main event of WM is by no means the biggest WM moment but with it being the 30th and all I guess they want to make a big deal out of it and with that it makes sense to go back to where it all started.

If cooler heads are prevailing then I'm all for it, if not keep Warrior and Hogan far from each please. Much of pro wrestling is a work, but I heard warrior say some pretty harsh stuff toward his old rival and I'm sure he won't like the prospect of sharing his HOF night with him.

This is interesting though, it's a cool way to celebrate historic moments or matches not just the wrestlers in the companies history. If this is something that continues in the coming years I would hope their selective and not just putting matches in their to fill the ballot. Assuming this is true I wonder if this will be the extent of all the Hogan/Piper WM30 rumours we've been hearing about. I prefer this then some kind of in-ring bit, in terms of Mr. T he's pretty religious and that may have been why he previously declined. If they can show him how they've cleaned up with the PG era I'm sure he'd be down to come.

I'm not sure if this news is true or not but it would rather silly to "induct" a match into the HOF, even as significant as that match was. I would be all for limiting the number of actual inductees to 3-4 this year and then giving the Wrestlemania 1 main event participants a lifetime achievement award or something along those lines. Give Vince McMahon a chance to speak about the importance of the match in history and then allow Hogan, Piper and so on to speak about the match.

I think it leaves the HOF open to becoming a bigger joke. I say this because if Hogan and Mr T vs Piper and Orndorff match is inducted and Hogan, Piper and Orndorff become 2 x HOF's, how wont Hogan possible beocme a 4 or 5 time HOF inductee. His match with Andre the Giant, The Rock and even the Ulitmate Warrior are all historic Mania match ups, and also the nWo originals will undoubtably be inducted one day.
I can see the idea behind this and gives Hogan and Piper top billing again, Paul Orndorff on the other hand was under used by Vince when he had him in 1984-1987, now to elevate him to a 2x Hall of Famer level, I think is soft. Will be very interesting to see what they do here.

Hmmm. I'm just not feeling it. The HOF as it's been mentioned by some is not a "real" HOF, but should still be for former/retired stars. Ultimate Warrior has just been officially announced first and HE should be the one to be the headliner. No need to make it complicated by adding a match. Plus a match that involved Hogan that would headline would kind of be like a slap in the face to the Warrior especially if he's mending bridges.

I can see them maybe doing something special on the network by having Hulk Hogan and Piper maybe talk about it before you're able to watch the match. Kind of like a commentary section on a DVD but not at the New Orleans Arena the night before. This is very similar to when they were thinking of inducting venues, the MSG being the one talked about last year. The HOF should be for former/retired stars, hell I'm even fine with the HOF having a celebrity wing. I just can't see how you can induct a match or venue.

Sure, why not? They've already put too many people in each year and are bound to come across some problems with trying to find superstars that are also Headliners. Might as well put matches, angles, whole eras and what have you in as well.

I expect the WWE Network to be inducted in the next 10-15 years, give or take.

It is an important match folks. The first Main Event of WM,while its odd that a match be inducted into the HOF,it does leave the possibility of other matches being inducted... The importance of the match,30 years ago some of us were little kids others not even born yet. From a historical standpoint,it should be inducted. While the match wasnt all that great by any stretch,its the historical aspect of it..

So i take it if this match is the headliner than the Warrior wont be.

I fucking hate the idea.

It's just terrible. You don't see the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame inducting particular songs.

When you induct the wrestler, you're inducting him for his body of work which includes famous matches like this.

Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff are all in the Hall. Induct Mr. T and then celebrate their match together. There's no need to induct the match itself.

What's next? Inducting segments? PPVs? Episodes of Raw? Match TYPES? Entrance themes? Can't wait for the Spanish Announce Table induction.

I really hope this is a false rumor, because if not, WWE has decided to throw their Hall of Fame's credibility out the window.

I'm not a fan of this. Everyone involved with the match is already in the HOF anyway. Not to mention that Hogan will get in again with the NWO soon. Are they going to start inducting all the milestone matches? If matches were to be inducted, there's at least a hundred more that would deserve it more than this. Bad idea, all around imo.

With this being the 30th anniversary, they have the opportunity to (and should) put together the most elite class, maybe of all-time. Go big or go home for WM30. My class would be these 8:

Randy Savage
Ultimate Warrior
Jake Roberts
Elizabeth
Scott Hall
Kevin Nash
Demolition
Paul Bearer

I know this is out there but why nopt use Wrestlemania 30 as the perfect platform to induct Vince Mcmahon himself?
Now tell me a more deserving headliner?????

If wwe decides 2 induct a wm match n2 hof then induct savage vs. Steamboat. Talk about da preparation and da nervousness of that match. Let ricky tell stories about it.
If not that than induct Chi-town rumble btwn Flair/steamboat n2 hall. Let ricky talk bout build up da match itself. Flair speak on contrast of character loosing title etc

Thought Mr T wanted nothing to do with WWE, he's spent alot of time trashing WWE and Wrestling in general, noone liked him, this is bad for business, they don't need him and he doesn't need them, he's got all his World Of Warcraft ad endorsements :p

no secret that everyone at the time didn't like T, Roddy Piper despised him and vice versa.
i say No No No...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back