• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Report: *POSSIBLE* Plans For Top Stars

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
There's some news/rumors going around, at least according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, regarding some plans for some of the top names in the company.

According to Meltzer, The Shield break up has been cancelled, at least for now. There's still talk of it possibly happening but, if it does, then it doesn't look like it'll be happening anytime soon.

As a result of The Shield break up not happening anytime in the foreseeable future, it's resulted in some potential restructuring of potential uses and pushes. According to Meltzer's report, the top babyfaces heading down the line are/will be John Cena, Daniel Bryan, Cesaro and Sheamus. The report further alleges that the last time there was some sort of internal list as to who would be the top babyfaces, it included Randy Orton, Batista and Roman Reigns. When this list was alleged to have been made or was being discussed, however, it was several months back and things have changed.

Cena & Bryan being the top two babyfaces isn't at all surprising, it's the way it has been for a while now. As far as Cesaro goes, if this is legit, then it looks as though his relationship with Paul Heyman isn't gonna be a lasting thing. With Sheamus, as of a few days ago, there was talk that a heel turn was in the works for him, so I'm not at all certain as to this being legit or not. If so, while I personally prefer him as a heel, maybe it'll be a good thing for the US title.

As far as The Shield breaking up goes, I've had a bit of a sense that the break up has either been put on hold or scrapped altogether for a while now. When it looked as though The Shield were on the verge of imploding only to get back on the same page, we were all expecting something to go down that ultimately ripped them apart. However, that was months back and things have obviously changed. The Shield have gotten over as babyfaces pretty fast, really over in fact, and maybe that's what's caused the brass to forgo or put off breaking them up. At the same time, it won't be long before there'll be dirtsheet writers and internet fans starting up with the "WWE is burying The Shield" or "WWE's dropping the ball with Roman Reigns" complaints.

No surprises as far as Cena and Bryan go.

If the plans for Cesaro are that big, I can totally see him going up against Brock Lesnar at Summerslam. The angle writes itself. Fed up with Paul Heyman's obsession with The Streak, he finally snaps and grabs Heyman by the ankles, which is when Lesnar's music hits. Cesaro doesn't even need to go over in that match - and of course he wouldn't - for it to be a huge deal for him at this stage of his WWE career, and there isn't an easier way to bring Lesnar back into the fold.

The Sheamus thing does puzzle me a little bit - just as it puzzled me when a similar report came out about six to eight weeks ago, with Sheamus having very little involvement in the build for Wrestlemania. I love Sheamus, and I personally enjoy his babyface work far more than I do his heel work, but his reactions are getting more and more Cena-ish by the week (on a smaller level, of course). The problem being, of course, that he doesn't draw the money that Cena does to validate those reactions. You've got to think that the best thing for his prospects, if he's going to push towards the main event again any time soon, would be a heel turn whether you prefer him as a heel or a babyface.

I'm not sure what happens to The Shield. It seems difficult for me to imagine them doing anything as a unit beyond Evolution. This seems like the biggest and most relevant they can possibly be as a three man unit, and if Roman Reigns is set to go up against Triple H at Summerslam like the early rumours have indicated then I can't see him being contained in a stable for much longer. Personally, if Reigns/HHH is the plan for Summerslam, then I think potentially setting up an Ambrose/Rollins match on the same card could be fascinating.

I have no issue with The Shield staying together but competing in singles matches. I like the idea that instead of breaking up and feuding they decide to go after singles titles and have singles feuds and try to dominate that way.

The idea that Sheamus is considered as a top 4 face is odd, considering he hasn't done much until this week and it was reported that he was turning heel soon.

In other words WWE still has no faith in Reigns as a single so theyre gonna keep him covered up by Rollins and Ambrose like always.And they better never turn Orton face again.

In other words WWE still has no faith in Reigns as a single so theyre gonna keep him covered up by Rollins and Ambrose like always.And they better never turn Orton face again.

"Still" has no faith? Right. So putting him over at Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, and then again at Extreme Rules is no faith. Boy.... Just because he's not getting the singles push YET, doesn't mean they have no faith. When The Shield have got as hot as they are right now, breaking them up would be the most stupid move the WWE have ever done. This has been such an organic and natural development too since they came together. Factions come and go, but the fact now they've never been hotter is testament to all three guys and the work they're putting in on a nightly basis.

The Shield staying together is what is best for business, and what is best for all three members at this moment in time. All three superstars are over. It is impossible to argue that. I'll be the first one to admit, Reigns has some things to polish up, but the potential is most definitely there IMO. But of course a lot of fans expect instant perfection. Don't forget he's only been wrestling since 2010, and he's massively improved since his debut. But seriously, what's the rush? All three have amazing chemistry together. Lets milk it for a bit longer. Keep believing it's purely to "cover up" for Reigns. Heaven forbid it's because The Shield are just generally the most awesome thing WWE have going right now.

Reigns is lost out there by himself.Hes got no moveset other than 10 ways to clothesline someone. And that lame punch that looks worse than any punch Cena has ever thrown. Even Orton cant carry him to a watchable match,which Im sure was why they put them together to see how Reigns could look against a top guy like Randy.

I could name lots of ex WWE guys that had "poterntial" and never made it.That don't mean anything.The only thing that could save Roman is his family lineage.

Well regardless of his moveset, Reigns straight up looks like he can kick your a$$ any time he wants. Besides, I'm enjoying the Shield as a unit too much right now. Who says they have to "split" at all? Look at L.O.D. for pete's sake. 20+ years as a tag team and they were the hottest thing in any organization they went to. They never really split up, at least not for too long. I'm not saying the Shield doesn't deserve singles success, but why can't they just do it for the benefit of the Shield, and not just for themselves?

I think Seth Rollins deserves more shine. Each of The Sheild's guys bring something different to the table. Rollins can work his tail off and I don't think we've really gotten a chance to see that in WWE. He should have been U.S. champion, not Ambrose. Good solid defenses would have made that belt mean something again.

Follow me on twitter @TeamVelvet

I have no issue with The Shield staying together but competing in singles matches. I like the idea that instead of breaking up and feuding they decide to go after singles titles and have singles feuds and try to dominate that way.

My thoughts were going towards yours. Why feel they have to break them up when they could be how the 4 Horsemen were? Flair was the top guy, while you had 3 other guys going for their own story lines and titles. Anderson and Blanchard never had dissension towards Flair. And the group worked.

All 3 have fans. All 3 get pops. No reason they need to break the SHIELD up just to have Reigns be the star. He can do that and still be with the group. Have Reigns fight HHH, Ambrose can work a program with Sheamus to get his belt back. Rollins could work with Orton or someone else.

Some people seem to want groups to break up. I'd like to see them treat these guys differently.

"Still" has no faith? Right. So putting him over at Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, and then again at Extreme Rules is no faith. Boy.... Just because he's not getting the singles push YET, doesn't mean they have no faith. When The Shield have got as hot as they are right now, breaking them up would be the most stupid move the WWE have ever done. This has been such an organic and natural development too since they came together. Factions come and go, but the fact now they've never been hotter is testament to all three guys and the work they're putting in on a nightly basis.

The Shield staying together is what is best for business, and what is best for all three members at this moment in time. All three superstars are over. It is impossible to argue that. I'll be the first one to admit, Reigns has some things to polish up, but the potential is most definitely there IMO. But of course a lot of fans expect instant perfection. Don't forget he's only been wrestling since 2010, and he's massively improved since his debut. But seriously, what's the rush? All three have amazing chemistry together. Lets milk it for a bit longer. Keep believing it's purely to "cover up" for Reigns. Heaven forbid it's because The Shield are just generally the most awesome thing WWE have going right now.

Agreed.

DB's popularity is undeniable, but since Mania, it has been clear that the main focus has been on the Shield and their step up during the feud with Evolution.

I do think that a break-up will happen, since they can't be expected to fight Evolution again and again as that will eventually run its course. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 on 3 turns into 3 Singles bouts at Payback or later on at MitB. Evolution coming back was obviously never planned as a fixture, but more of, a marriage of convenience.

Beyond Evolution, there is the Wyatts, but that has been given for free a few times since EC. If that feud is revisited on its own again(I do see some more matches between the members in the coming weeks), then some sort of stipulation match up might generate interest.

My thoughts were going towards yours. Why feel they have to break them up when they could be how the 4 Horsemen were? Flair was the top guy, while you had 3 other guys going for their own story lines and titles. Anderson and Blanchard never had dissension towards Flair. And the group worked.

All 3 have fans. All 3 get pops. No reason they need to break the SHIELD up just to have Reigns be the star. He can do that and still be with the group. Have Reigns fight HHH, Ambrose can work a program with Sheamus to get his belt back. Rollins could work with Orton or someone else.

Some people seem to want groups to break up. I'd like to see them treat these guys differently.

Indeed. The above is the only other option they have.

Maybe the "Roman Reigns Singles push" can be done with him as the focus of the still united group with them intent on domination of the WWE by going after all the titles available to them.
Say - Reigns for IC/WWE, Rollins for IC/US/Tag, Ambrose US/Tag...

although either of the 3 going into the Main Event picture as Babyfaces will not be an easy task,lMO. Don't think they are ready yet for the Main title.

Keeping them united can be done of course...but it will be a bit difficult compared to having them all in the same segment on the shows...if they are to go after ALL the titles, then they will require seperate segments for each member,lMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back