Report: Former WWE Champion *SEEMS* To Be Gone From WWE

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to an article at wrestling.inc.com, it looks as though Rey Mysterio and WWE have finally parted ways. There's been no official statement from Mysterio or WWE, but Mysterio's profile has been moved to the alumni section of WWE.com and that's usually an indicator that a wrestler is no longer working with them.

The past several years, Mysterio's body has been breaking down, his knees in particular are said to be pretty much shot to shit. He's had multiple surgeries, he's undergone experimental treatments using stem cells, etc. and he hasn't wrestled since the night after WrestleMania XXX. Also, there've been various reports of a growing rift between Mysterio and WWE officials over the years, one of the most talked about has been the fact that Mysterio is one of the highest paid wrestlers on the roster but really hasn't been able to contribute at the level expected of him for such big money. There's been a lot of stories of Mysterio wanting to work with AAA or Lucha Underground over the past year and he might well be heading to either.

I seriously doubt he'll wrestle. He's borderline crippled. But Lucha Underground has been vocal about pulling Vampiro out of commentary and Rey's dipped into that before. Plus AAA is holding an iPPV in a few weeks. He and Hugo can get their feet wet there as we know AAA will push for it.

In the end, it's beneficial for both. Rey's become a hazard for WWE and he can't do anything with them anymore out of the ring. In AAA/LU, he'll more than likely join commentary and might become a much needed creative member for AAA.

Also, there've been various reports of a growing rift between Mysterio and WWE officials over the years, one of the most talked about has been the fact that Mysterio is one of the highest paid wrestlers on the roster but really hasn't been able to contribute at the level expected of him for such big money.

The "rift" is the part that most interests me. What about it? Why did it go on for so long? I can remember a time, well before the rift, when he was complaining he was under-compensated. Okay, so they apparently made it right somewhere along the line.....and then he started breaking down.

In my opinion, they've spent way too much time on two areas involving Rey Mysterio:

(1) Building his "legend" to a ridiculous level in WWE, having him defeat opponents twice his size with the same damn moves every time he stepped in the ring......with "wrestle" going in parenthesis because his ring repertoire consisted mostly of hitting a few selected spots in every single match. If their goal was to make the product believable, they failed in their usage of Rey. The sight of 6'6 Drew McIntyre clotheslining Rey.....and having to do it from his knees ....remains one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen in pro wrestling.

(2) Allowing this rift to go on for so long. I just read about the "extensive negotiations" that went into WWE release of Rey's contract. What in hell took so long? Was he healthy enough to work but milking his injuries?....or did he want to work but was kept out by WWE "not having anything for him?"

If Rey truly was one of the highest paid people on the roster, you would think the company would shit or get off the pot. Yes, it might not be his fault he got injured so much and so severely, but after awhile, a guy being paid to sit on the sidelines has to be cut loose because he's draining the company's bank account while providing nothing in return. If the biggest delay in these negotiations has been the size of Rey's buy-out, the company would have been wise to remember the huge paychecks they were sending to Rey all this time the details were being thrashed out.

That's sad but the time has come to look to the future of the company and move on from Rey Mysterio. Still, Mysterio was a stable for the WWE for a long time and it's sad to see him go the way that he has. By all accounts though, his body is on the way out and his wrestling career glory days are a thing of the past. I've thought recently that the WWE is missing someone like Rey Mysterio. I do believe that there is a genuine hole in the roster for someone like him.

With that in mind, it takes me bad to my original point, it is time for the WWE to move onto someone else and see how they can do. The Lucha Dragons seem like they can slot into that spot, so I'm excited to see how that goes. As far as Rey leaving goes, I'm happy that he's finally got his release; especially since he seemed to be the one pushing it through.

I really do wish him all the best for the future, whatever he chooses to do. He's earned his downtime, so good luck to him.

Long time coming and really sad he never got his proper goodbye. After all he has done for the company you would figure he would get a proper sendoff a HBK sendoff at least.

Rey Mysyterio defied all odds the best little dude ever in the business. Yes we can all argue all day he got his title run because Eddie passed away and it was a pity reign but whatever. His Body is shot to hell or at least his knees are anyway as evident by the numerous knee surgeries over the last years.. Defeating opponents twice his size while silly looking made him the ultimate underdog each and everytime.

My only question is,why did this take so long? Could the WWE not buy out the remainder of his contract out? Was Rey not as hurt as previously reported and just refused to work? Did Rey want to work but WWE simply just didn't have anything for him accept for him to job to someone like Rusev for example.

Whatever the case It's sad the way it was handled IMO Rey deserved a much better sendoff and hope he at least gets it. Signs a legends contract has one last WM moment if his knees can handle it do his 619 and take his spot in the HOF! I wish nothing but the best for him

WWE tried to extend his contract due to all the time he missed. Rey got pissed that they did that. WWE wanted him back and he didn't want to come back. He supposedly makes very good money so I have no clue why he didn't just let them extend his contract and work the six months and collect some good money. If he can't wrestle he could have announced or managed.

But he gave his body to the sport and I hope he can heal himself enough to where he can live comfortably.

I think people exaggerate when they say "he's practically crippled". I don't know if he is injury prone, but every time I see him wrestle, I think he looks fine. Sure, he's not the groundbreaker he used to be, but he moves well enough.

But seriously, this issue was absurd. I had forgotten about it until now.

One of my favorite all time guys, fantastic performer, one of the best babyfaces of all time.
It's sad what he's become though, guy is still in his 30s and can barely walk, can't maintain ring shape, he just looks older than he really is. It's the high risk, high reward luchador style I guess.

I always thought he was one of those guys that was going to be there forever.
Hes a perfect fit for their Ambassador job they like to give guys who can't perform anymore. I was just watching his steel cage match with Eddie earlier too, damn classic stuff.

We shall see if this is real or not though.

I think people exaggerate when they say "he's practically crippled". I don't know if he is injury prone, but every time I see him wrestle, I think he looks fine. Sure, he's not the groundbreaker he used to be, but he moves well enough.

But seriously, this issue was absurd. I had forgotten about it until now.

I don't think he was injury prone, but he does all those high flying moves and that has to take a toll on you. If you watch him wrestle in the last few matches, he's not a quick to do them as he used to be.

His style has definitely taken a toll on his body, and he's been out with a lot of injuries. I feel for the guy. He was exciting to watch but his best days are behind him, and maybe it's time for him to move on. I'll miss him.

We shall see if this is real or not though.

It's real. PWinsider is claiming that a source within the WWE has said that Mysterio was released from his contract. That's why he was quietly moved to the Alumi section. He is no longer under contract to them. He's wanted out for awhile and now he has his wish.

I hope he retires instead of wrestle in Mexico. If his knees are that bad, he needs to think about his health long term. I'd hate to see him not being able to walk if he was to continue to wrestle.

It's a sad way for a legend to leave WWE. Had Rey simply wanted to retire from in-ring competition, I think it's likely that WWE would have found a role for him, probably on-screen, as a manager of a new lucha talent or as an ambassador for the company in Latin America. His name value and image would still be of great use to the company and no-one would resent him calling it a day. He's contributed so much over the years and would have been allowed to go out and thank the fans for their support over years/say goodbye etc. Plus, he'd appear at all the Mexican events that WWE promote as a "special guest ref" or something similar.

I've heard that Rey has actually wanted to leave WWE for a while now, but has been kept under contract as Vince think's Mysterio owed WWE more time after being paid really highly for all the time he's been out injured, which is most of the last half-decade. He's broken down, his knees are wrecked and as I posted on another thread, I'm worried Rey will end up in a wheelchair after the high number of knee surgeries he's had due to his high-flying ring style. I hope I'm wrong though.

He needs to call it a day, unless he's been reckless with his money there shouldn't be a need for him to remain an active wrestler. His future health and mobility isn't worth the risk of keeping going. Do the smart thing Rey. Go to AAA, CMLL or Lucha underground as a commentator or manager, but don't wrestle again.

Titles like this are awful. Jack-Hammer presumably copied and pasted it from WrestleZone - or indeed Wrestling Inc or whatever the site is he cites in the opening post - but it's still really bad. Initally, the vagueness of such titles was to disguise the non-stories that lay behind them. For instance, Eric Young trips over a mop backstage and that becomes "Top TNA Star in Backstage Incident." Everybody's let down when they click the link and find out that Kurt Angle didn't skullfuck MVP to death but hey, you've clicked and that's what the people who run the site wanted. They've won. Why produce interesting content when you can just pretend to?

Then, apparently, the people who run the sites forgot why they chose vague titles.

An actual story occurs - e.g. wrestling legend Rey Mysterio leaves the WWE - and we get "Former WWE Champion *SEEMS* To Be Gone From WWE." I expect that to be the title to "Former intercontinental champion Curtis Axel has sent out a cryptic tweet that implies he might be unhappy with the company."

Ten years from now, John Cena will win the WWE title for the thirtieth time at WrestleMania 41, run backstage, kill Vince McMahon with a slap, turn his corpse into a new custom belt and wear him the next night on Raw. The headline will read "*BREAKING* PERSON DOES THING."

So, for old time's sake, I'll pitch you a title for this story that actually describes what it is:

WRESTLING

FUCKING

LEGEND

REY

FUCKING

MYSTERIO

APPARENTLY

LEAVES

WORLD

FUCKING

WRESTLING

FUCKING

ENTERTAINMENT

And it's a tragedy because Rey Mysterio was great and never got the send-off he deserved but probably will when he enters the Hall of Fame.

He's got a few matches left I think, hope to see him and Místico wrestle in AAA.

Much respect to the greatest luchador in WWE history, you will be missed Rey.

He's got a few matches left I think, hope to see him and Místico wrestle in AAA.

Not that it's any skin off my nose, but I hope whatever wrestling company might sign him has the brains to write in some protection against him getting injured and spending the vast amount of his contract time sitting on the sidelines. WWE might be able to afford paying a guy to not work but it's hard to believe an independent company has the same wherewithal.

Someone said Rey is demanding $20,000 an appearance from the independents? Terrific. I have no idea how much of an impact a fee like that would have on a small-time wrestling outfit but hopefully, as I said, they take the precaution of putting language in the contract that protects them financially from paying Rey to sit at home.

He's bound to get hurt again if he keeps wrestling, no? Probably sooner than later. A word to the wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back