Remembering "Macho Man" Randy Savage: One Year Later

TheHitMark-SirJoseOle

A Fan Of Wrestling Not Backstage BS
220px-Randy_Savage_1986.jpg

It's hard to believe but it's been a year since wrestling lost one of its all time greats, "Macho Man" Randy Savage. It just seems so unreal to think of this happening and I remember exactly where I was when it happened. I was using my college's computer and looking up some research topics for my term papers for finals. I happened to have my AIM account signed on at the library computer and my buddy sends me a hyperlink that said "Wrestling legend, 'Macho Man' Randy Savage dead at 58". I didn't know what to make of it, I usually don't react much to things like this when I hear them, but for a second I found what my friend had sent me to be so unreal. I just did not want to belive it, and hell to be honest I'm pushing 30 years of age now, and I quite frankly don't want to believe it. Only because Randy Savage was one of my reasons for being such a voracious wrestling fan as a kid.

So the basic reason for this thread is because I wanted to remember one of my favorites of all time, and I also wanted to see what other fans had to say about the "Madness". There were so many good memories that I want to share on tihs post and I will, but I also want to invite other great posters to join in on this. Whether it was putting George Steele in the "Danger Zone" for lusting after Miss Elizabeth or accusing Hulk Hogan of "showboating and hotdogging" which led to the Mega Powers exploding, and hell even calling the action in the early stages of Monday Night RAW (He SO made those earlier years of the show so enjoyable, not to say RAW wasn't good afterwards, but man Randy Savage just added such a dynamic to the scene.) Randy Savage was a cut above the rest and in a class of his own.

I remember as a kid being so shocked and surprised that he left the WWF for WCW in 1994. Because I thought he would have been a great staple of RAW on the announce team for some time to come. But looking back on things now as an adult, I can't blame Randy Savage for jumping ship to WCW, he got to get in some good matches against guys like Vader, Steve Austin, Diamond Dallas Page, and he rekindled his feuds with Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan. I have enjoyed catching up on his earlier career prior to the WWF where the greatness that was the Madness was starting to develop itself, and then it was taken to a whole other level when he went to the WWF in 1985 and brought then real life wife Miss Elizabeth with him.

In my mind, and no offense to the Honky Tonk Man, but to me Randy Savage is the true greatest Intercontinental Champion of all time, of all time, of ALL TIME! And I also put him up there as one of the greatest WWF World Champions ever.

But anyway, before I finish this post I want to share a few YouTube videos of one of the greats and I look forward to seeing what others have to share in the way of their memories of this icon. Click the links below to play these videos, for some reason I could not embed the videos properly.

Randy Savage ICW Promo - 1981

Randy Savage Enters The Danger Zone

Macho Man: Free Word Association

Randy Savage WCW Debut

The links to the videos I provided don't even scratch the surface of what Randy Savage was all about, but just the same these were all some pretty memorable moments of this wrestling great. Which now brings me to my next question to those that will reply to this post, what made you fans of the "Macho Man" Randy Savage?

To me, it was his in ring intensity and charisma. The guy was just a mad man in there and I loved it when he would just run roughshod on an opponent whether it be an enhancement talent, or a full fledged main eventer Savage never differentiated and he went to town on anyone he met in the ring. His antagonizing of Hulk Hogan in the mid-80s (prior to their late-80s and onward on again off again feuding) was GREAT stuff. During a time where Hogan's invinciibility was pretty much academic, the fact that Randy Savage as the WWF Intercontinental Heavyweight Champion of the "World" as he liked to refer to himself, (and considering how awesome his run was, I couldn't argue you with that distinction) even got a few countout and DQ wins over Hogan was a feat unto itself at that time. It disappoints me now looking at things that guys like the Ultimate Warrior went over Hogan fairly but Randy Savage never got to get a pinfall on Hogan, but so be it. It doesn't diminish how great Randy Savage was.

I also could never forget his Slim Jim pitches, I doubt anyone else can either. Then of course the guy's wardrobe was out of this world, I always liked his 1985-1989 attire, those head bands were always bad ass and I loved the capes (I guess that's what you would call them) he'd wear, and his actual in ring attire reminded me of a starburst candy wrapper as a kid. Like I said before, in a class of his own. Don't get me wrong though his look as "The Macho King" was pretty boss and I of course dug the cowboy hat and tasseled jackets of the 1990s tha the would wear.

His cameo in the Spider-Man film was a great thing to see, they could have cast any other wrestler and to me it wouldn't have been the same. Randy Savage added something special to that brief time he was in the movie. And it's hard to believe that we won't see anything like that ever again.

Despite the fact he left us a year ago, the one positive thing I think we can take into account is that he at least did some work with WWE before his passing. His inclusion in the All-Stars game and doing some promotional work for the video game was a surprising thing. Hell, I bought WWE All Stars SOLELY because of him being in it.

But anyway, that's enough of me ranting, the rest of you guys and gals reading on wrestlezone that were Savage fans have to contribute to this thread. And I don't to be here all day talking at you guys instead of talking with you!

Close-Up.jpg

R.I.P. "MACHO MAN" RANDY SAVAGE
THE MADNESS WILL LIVE ON...OHHHHH YEAHHH!!!! DIG IT?!!!!

You're a pup compared to my memories of Savage. His winning the IC title from Tito Santana and his epic match with Ricky Steamboat at WM3. When he held the title, it was almost just as big as Hogan's heavyweight title. And I can honestly say his matches were much more entertaining than many of Hogan's. Even Savages fued George "The Animal" Steel was entertaining.

I wish he had somehow found a way to stay in the WWF because, IMO, like many other wrestlers, WCW didn't use him properly. If he had stayed, he could have easily been in the heavyweight championship picture for a couple more years. How great would his matches been against Hart, Michaels, Undertaker etc. Hell I even think about him against the Rock and Austin sometimes. Those matches might have been epic.

I'm just glad he was able to enjoy his post-wrestling years, unlike so many others. He was stingy with his money during his wrestling days and that helped a lot. Unlike Flair and some others, he knew when it was time to stop.

I usually don't get shocked or sentimental when famous people pass, or when wrestlers go, but this one hit me.

I want to thank you for posting this. One because all week i was anticipating this day and i forgot until i saw this lol. But second for somebody to remember my All - Time favorite. Randy Savage actually RENEWED my love for wrestling. I'm a 17 year old kid now but i started watching wrestling in 2003 and Goldberg was to me what cena is to every kid today. I had watched wwe All the way until mid 2008. At that time i just gave up on the sport i think over video games. Fast forward to 2010. One day i was at my cousins house and i was digging through some stuff and i came upon a wrestlemania anthology DVD. I figured i would check it out so i did. The wm's were #'s 6-10. So i watched six and was like "eh" through the whole thing. thought the hogan warrior thing was kinda neat. But then i threw seven in. And when that retirement match happend that was it for me. I was in awe of a match that happened before i was even born. Everything about that match was perfect and you could tell savage carried warrior like hell. Then i saw his world title match happened at wrestlemania 8 and i loved the guy even more. So then i hit youtube and watch this match that intruiged me. It was called "Macho man randy savage vs Ricky steamboat Wrestlemania 3" The rest is history. I remember where i was when i found out aswell. He inspired me in an odd way to lift weights so i was lifting in my garage and i took a little break after doing curls and i go on ign (im a pretty big gamer) and i see Rany savage dies at 58. i have NEVER cried over somebody dying but i could feel a tear start to form. I couldnt believe in and i still cannot even fathom my hero had passed away at such a young age. The most depressing thing about this is that we will never get to see that iconic hall of fame seach that we all wanted to see. But thats the thing, through all of this stupid spiting vince has done over randy savage he has only shown to millions how much of a legend The Macho Man really is. He in my own opinion is Too great for a false hall of fame like the wwe's. one where drew carey gets in over a royal rumble stit but the Fucking MACHO MAN cannot? i digress but i agree with the op i Bought All Stars the second i saw that randy savage was in it. I HAD to. Hopefully he is acknowledged more and has a mention of him or something today. That is actually what started my liking for cm punk was when he did the tribute to savage on raw and now using his elbow. He is in that elite group where you can only count on one hand of the guys in it. He may be gone but will never be forgotten.
RIP Randall Poffo, rest easy

You're a pup compared to my memories of Savage. His winning the IC title from Tito Santana and his epic match with Ricky Steamboat at WM3. When he held the title, it was almost just as big as Hogan's heavyweight title. And I can honestly say his matches were much more entertaining than many of Hogan's. Even Savages fued George "The Animal" Steel was entertaining.

I wish he had somehow found a way to stay in the WWF because, IMO, like many other wrestlers, WCW didn't use him properly. If he had stayed, he could have easily been in the heavyweight championship picture for a couple more years. How great would his matches been against Hart, Michaels, Undertaker etc. Hell I even think about him against the Rock and Austin sometimes. Those matches might have been epic.

I'm just glad he was able to enjoy his post-wrestling years, unlike so many others. He was stingy with his money during his wrestling days and that helped a lot. Unlike Flair and some others, he knew when it was time to stop.

I usually don't get shocked or sentimental when famous people pass, or when wrestlers go, but this one hit me.

To be fair, the WWE wasn't using Macho Man properly either. To my understanding, Savage leaving New York to go south wasn't based on money but was based on the want to continue wrestling. McMahon wasn't keen on having Macho wrestling a full time schedule again as he was pushing the New Generation of superstars & Savage represented the old generation. My fondest moment of Macho Man was his victory over Ric Flair @ WrestleMania 8. It was such a great match all around and to this day, not many WrestleMania matches can even be compared to that classic.

I really hate the fact that when punk does the macho man elbow(though its poor,still hats off to punk),they act like its a random move and dont recognize him.Its not like he was a murderer like benoit.He's a true legend and probably better in RL than most other legends.

To be fair, the WWE wasn't using Macho Man properly either. To my understanding, Savage leaving New York to go south wasn't based on money but was based on the want to continue wrestling. McMahon wasn't keen on having Macho wrestling a full time schedule again as he was pushing the New Generation of superstars & Savage represented the old generation. My fondest moment of Macho Man was his victory over Ric Flair @ WrestleMania 8. It was such a great match all around and to this day, not many WrestleMania matches can even be compared to that classic.

If this is true, then I don't blame Macho for leaving. But you would think that Vince would have wanted to keep him around to push the younger guys. That's what I would have done. Savage was such a great in-ring choreographer, he would have plenty of to offer on how to work in the ring and on the mic.

But if Vince didn't want him to work, then I can't blame Savage for leaving.

when it comes to 80's wrestling, never cared for Hogan or Flair but Savage was always the guy for me. great in the ring, great on the mic, could work with anyone. at the time, i could never figure out why Hogan got a better push than him(still not sure to tell the truth). besides the obvious, his death is sad because it looked like him and wwe were starting to make up and we might have seen the madness return to the wwe in some form. there were also the rumors that he might have gone to tna so a team hogan vs team madness feud might have been fun.

Sir Jose Ole: Thank you for creating this thread man. Savage is my all time favourite wrestler. When he died, it felt like I lost a family member. I feel like the wrestling fans of today underrate his legacy because he wasn't active over the past 13 years or in WWE since 1994. For me, Savage was bigger than Hogan. He was the alternative. I was one of very few people I knew who would rather see what Savage was up to. He had great matches with anyone. His matches, promos and heel behaviour drew real reaction from the crowd. If Savage and Hogan were starting in the business today, it may be Savage who would be the bigger star. Savage was 'Cena-like' in that he would do whatever for the company 365 days a year. He could wrestle 365 days a year and not just show up twice a month to headline. Of course, Hogan is considered the best wrestling entertainer of all time and I believe it was his work with the NWO that makes him the true 'best'. But in WWE, it was Savage I preferred.

I have a ton of favourite Savage moments. I loved his matches with The Ultimate Warrior. The Macho King era was a good time. I loved seeing him beat Ric Flair
at Wrestlemania 8. Savage did a lot of awesome shit in WCW that is very underappreciated. It's stuff that isn't repeated a whole lot on here like the same old memories everyone always repeats. I remember the WCW days better than I remember a lot of his latter days in WWE. His feud with DDP was amazing. His hatred toward Hogan was what really set the NWO angle into motion. Finally, after all these years, fans started to see Hogan from Savage's point of view. Savage, Hogan, Hall and Nash were together the most powerful group of 4 wrestlers in the history of wrestling..even bigger than Evolution. Savage reuniting with Liz in the black and white as heels was something else. Savage's 'lone wolf' gimmick in 1998 was, for me, the most exciting time to be a Macho Man fan. He was completely off the wall, he caused the beginning of the end of the NWO and his off again on again feud with Hogan was amazing. I remember watching Nitro or Thunder and the two interrupting each other's promos and the energy was just amazing. Savage and Hogan were, to me, bigger in early 1998 than they ever were in WWE in the late 80s. Sure, Austin and Rock were bigger in WWE at this time but all I remember was Hogan and Savage battling for the leadership of the NWO. At WCW's height, Savage finally won the world title from Sting. Ratings were in the 5s but as soon as Savage lost the title back to Hogan the very next night, the ratings slipped and never really recovered. Savage injured his leg and needed to take 9 months off. But before he left he wrestled for two more months. He and Nash formed the Wolfpack and he feuded with Hogan, Hitman and Piper. His last match before his surgery was against DDP and it was a classic. It was just an amazing time for the Macho Man. A time that WWE fans today completely ignore because they don't really know that it happened. I wasn't really a big fan of his three months in 1999 because he wasn't as mobile. But for me, in 1998, Savage was the next biggest thing after Stone Cold. Savage was the underdog and wasn't trusted by the NWO or WCW. There was just this feel that Savage was finally as big as Hogan and could carry WCW. I feel he could have had one last really good title reign had he not been hurt. He could have held the title from April to July 1998, lose to Hogan then instead, and then Hogan could turn around and lose to Goldberg while fans would still be super pissed off about him beating Savage.

Anyway, Savage will always be one of Top 10 best to me. He was the complete package. They don't make them like him anymore.

Randy Savage was my all time favorite wrestler in the 1980's, 90's Heel or face it did not matter to me. He was just one of coolest wrestlers I had ever seen in the wrestling ring, I loved his interviews and promos in both WWF and WCW.

He had some great matches through his WWF days and WCW days, Right off the top of my head I can name three WWF feuds that were very good.

Randy Savage Vs Ric Flair the whole thing was put on brilliantly the doctored pictures of Flair and Liz the fans and the commentators didn't know what to think about it neither did Savage as well.

Randy's heel turn on Saturday Night's Main Event when he attacked Hogan his jealousy of Liz and Hogan's friendship some say it was a storyline Hogan has said and a lot of people have said Savage was a legit jealous person, but it set up for WrestleMaina V Main Event Savage dropping the title to Hogan good match although as a Savage fan I would have had him keep the title IMO.

and Lastly his feud with Jake The Snake Robert's Savage was '' Retired '' as an active wrestler wanted to be reinstated as a wrestler and Jake Robert's called Savage to the ring and tied Savage in the ropes and that cobra bit Savage's arm a few days before Survivor Series 91 then President Jack Tunney reinstated Savage as an active wrestler and his first match back as an active wrestler was This Tuesday In Texas WWF's first PPV that was NOT one of the big 4 Savage beat Roberts in that match, But the snake biting Savage's was planned but Jake Robert's said in an interview when he was shaking the cobra he wasn't doing that to get make it look brutal he was trying to get the snake off of Savage but he could not for a few minutes.

All the kids were crying in the stands it was one of the most shocking moments in WWF history.

I really hate the fact that when punk does the macho man elbow(though its poor,still hats off to punk),they act like its a random move and dont recognize him.Its not like he was a murderer like benoit.He's a true legend and probably better in RL than most other legends.

You mean the fact that the entire arena starts chanting "Randy Savage" every time he does the elbow drop isn't enough? The announcers shouldn't make mention every time he does the elbow drop, the crowd's reaction is better than anything Lawler or Cole could come up with. All the announcers mentioning of it will do is make that moment feel less real because they're telling us it.

I am a Macho Man Randy Savage fan from wayyyyy back! And everytime I would see the Macho Man on TV walk & talk & wrestle in a match it was always something special to see. The Macho Man Randy Savage is/was a true wrestling icon up there with Hulk Hogan in name value alone.

When I heard of news that the Macho Man had passed away PERIOD. It was hard to believe at first. But there it was smack on the front screen of my computer. May 20th isn't just another day in wrestling, it's a memorial day.

Rest in Peace Macho Man Randy Savage, OHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!

I, too, find it hard to believe that it's been a year since Randy Savage has gone on to the sold out stadium in the sky.

Favorite Macho Man moment...WrestleMania III against Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat for the IC title. Those two put on a CLINIC of what a WRESTLING match should be. Quite possibly the greatest WrestleMania match ever.

He had the style, the physique, the catchphrases, the ability to cut a great promo, the in-ring ability, Randy Savage had everything as a wrestler.

Macho put on classic matches on the biggest of stages and deserved an even higher pedestal than which he was afforded.

For all the talk of his attitude being a problem, he dropped titles and big matches to Hogan, Warrior, Steamboat and these matches ultimately helped his opponents career greatly. Yet he was so much more than just the "opponent" for Vinces designated Champions.

A class act who had more charisma than any other wrestler before or after him.

To me Savage was at his best in late 91 and in 1992. Savage/Jake was such a great feud. Im still pissed we didnt get the blow off cage match (I know it wasnt needed but it would have been epic). Then his feud with Flair was classic as well. Savage made me think he really hated these guys. The match with Flair at WM8 was one of the best ever. Told such a great story and the post promos were classic. One of my favorite angle of all time was Savage/Warrior/Flair leading in the summer of 1992. Savage/Perfect was a great angle too. I just wish they had more of a build to Savage/Flair 2.

Rewatching Savages carrer I really enjoyed 1988 with the Mega Powers. The Mega Powers/Mega Bucks feud was classic. I thought he made a great champion. Other found memories of Savage include Savage/Warrior WM7, his angle with Liz in the summer of 91, and of course Savage/Steamboat WM3.

As far as the total package (in ring and promo skills combined) I place him in the same class as Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair. Savage is one of the best wrestlers to ever step foot in the ring.

If I ever could've been a professional wrestler, Macho Man Randy Savage is exactly the kind of wrestler I would've wanted to be. Bret Hart's in-ring style, Mick Foley's unusual image, and Steve Austin's determination and will to succeed, and Randy Savage's style of working and creating a match. That's what I'd want to be as a wrestler.

I started watching wrestling in 1991, right after Wrestlemania VII, when Randy Savage lost to the Ultimate Warrior (which is probably in my top 5 favorite matches of all-time). So I started watching as he was an announcer in 91. My first feud that I got to see live as a fan was against Jake Roberts. To me the segment where he gets suckered into the ring, beaten up and then bitten by the snake, is the greatest non-match segment in the history of the WWF/E. Granted Jake Roberts is who made it a masterpiece, but Savage played just as big a role in that classic segment. It was masterfully acted, and is still one of my favorite feuds ever.

Then he goes into another one of my favorite feuds against Ric Flair. While Hogan/Flair was the ultimate dream match, I'm sure long time purist wrestling fans were actually more excited to see Flair and Savage as that was probably the ultimate in-ring worker dream match for that era. The three best of the '80s/early '90s were Flair, Steamboat and Savage. We had gotten plenty of Steamboat/Flair matches. We had seen Steamboat/Savage. Now were were finally gonna get Flair and Savage, and they didn't disappoint. Their match at Wrestlemania VIII is one of the best ever, still a top 10 Wrestlemania match. And their feud is also one of the best.

I think during the Hulkamania era of the WWF/e, the greatest "feud" wrestlers were Randy Savage and Jake Roberts. What I mean by that is that no wrestler was better at making a feud meaningful and memorable than Savage and Jake were. They didn't finally collide until 1991, but in the years leading up to that no one had better feuds than Randy Savage and Jake Roberts. I know everyone loves the Rick Rude/Ultimate Warrior feud, but Randy Savage was the Warrior's greatest rival both match wise and character feud-wise. Savage was just as crazy as Warrior, and they were a match made in heaven. Randy Savage made George Steele a legend. There are still older people that remember George Steele largely due to their fued. Savage gave Tito Santana his best singles feud and matches (along with Greg Valentine). Then there's of course Savage and Steamboat which is frankly the feud that Ricky Steamboat is still remembered for to this day (besides with Ric Flair of course). Savage gave Dusty Rhodes one of his top feuds in the WWF. He gave Hacksaw Jim Duggan really his only relevant feud during his peak in the late '80s. And though Jake Roberts was already on a major roll with great feuds (Ricky Steamboat, Honky Tonk Man, Rick Rude, Andre the Giant, Ted Dibiase, Bad News Brown, Rick Martel, Earthquake, etc.) Savage gave Jake his best and most memorable feud. And then he became Ric Flair's major rival during his original WWF run. He had a brief feud with Roddy Piper, and a feud with Hulk Hogan was teased, and a short, but great feud with Mr. Perfect at the end, but his only real, long-term feud was with Randy Savage. And it would continue on in WCW. Their feud was actually what got WCW rolling in the mid '90s and helped generate some of their first sell-out house shows during the Turner-led era of WCW, just before the NWO storyline hit it big. While Hulk Hogan's mainstream notoriety and starpower helped bring attention to WCW, it was Randy Savage and Ric Flair that helped keep people watching WCW and helped make people actually want to come see WCW live as they headlined a number of sell out house shows for the first time since Ted Turner took over.

Even when Vince McMahon was trying to hold Randy Savage down during the last year or two he was in the WWF (more on that later), he still was putting on memorable feuds, namely with Crush (what else is Crush remembered for no offense), and gave Yokozuna quite possibly the best match of his career (watch the match from Monday Night Raw in early 1994 leading up to Wrestlemania X on Savage's DVD. Then tell me a better Yokozuna match?).

And this leads me to something else. When I think about Randy Savage, I can't help but get feelings of disappointment, frustration, and even sadness. And that's largely due to Vince McMahon. I absolutely hate how Vince McMahon used Macho Man Randy Savage from 1993-1994. Contrary to popular belief, the WWF still had a damn good roster of wrestlers in 1993 at least. You had Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, the Undertaker, Yokozuna, Bam Bam Bigelow, Mr. Perfect, Lex Luger, Bob Backlund, Diesel, Razor Ramon, Tatanka, Marty Janetty, Sean Waltman, Ted Dibiase (up until August), IRS, Jerry Lawler, Doink the Clown (the original Doink, Matt Borne, was a darned good wrestler), the Steiner Brothers, the Headshrinkers, The Quebecers (a highly underrated tag team) and oh yeah, Macho Man Randy Savage. The fact that Vince McMahon refused to use Macho Man as a wrestler practically at all was a disgrace to Macho Man. Vince acted like he was a retired wrestler who now had to commentate, manage or do non-wrestling roles. Randy Savage just the year before had the second best year of his career (only behind 1988), and now you want to regulate him to commentating? I'm not saying that Savage should've still been the top dog champion, but Savage still should've been a main event wrestler, even an upper mid-carder. Randy Savage left (this has been well documented even by him in interviews) because he felt he still had plenty of gas left in the tank and could still wrestle, but Vince didn't want that. If Vince was smart, he would've used the previous era stars he had left like Macho Man, Mr. Perfect, and Ted Dibiase to be on top for a short while, or close to the top and help get guys like Bret, Taker, Shawn, Luger, and Yokozuna to the top to take their spots. Not only did guys like Mr. Perfect, Ted Dibiase, and of course Macho Man deserve their time at the top it also would've made good business sense. Bret and Shawn and Yokozuna weren't ready to draw at the top yet, whereas Macho Man was an established superstar (both in wrestilng and mainstream pop culture), plus Dibiase and Perfect were very established veterans that could've only helped. Instead Dibiase was regulated to the tag team scene, and Mr. Perfect who was ridiculously over (maybe even moreso than Bret Hart, objectively speaking) was in the mid card. Can you imagine a world title picture between Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Ted Dibiase, Mr. Perfect, and Yokozuna w/Mr. Fuji and Bam Bam Bigelow always close and ready to squash the competition? Can you imagine the feuds Randy Savage could've had over the next 3-4 years, had he stayed? Macho Man shouldn't have been commentating at Wrestlemania IX. He should've been headlining against Bret Hart for the title. Then as Bret became established, Savage should've feuded with Shawn Michaels and Diesel over the I-C title. He could've helped get them more over. Can you imagine him later feuding with Owen Hart and Bam Bam Bigelow. Heck, we could've even gotten some really entertaining feuds and matches with him against Ted Dibiase, Mr. Perfect, and Jerry Lawler that might've not have been for titles, but just some good stuff for them to do. How about a feud between Savage and the deranged Bob Backlund in 1994/1995. Tell me that would not have been some absolutely amazing, entertaining stuff. And who wouldn't have wanted an epic feud between a heel, crazy, deranged Macho Man against the Undertaker at Wrestlemania? How about if he had even stayed up into the late 1990's and never went to WCW? How about matches between Savage against the likes of Stone Cold, the Rock, Triple H, Mick Foley, Kane? Where would Savage have fit in the America/Canada feud of 1997. Would he have teamed up with the Hart Foundation, or would he join up with Stone Cold, Shawn Michaels, LOD, and Goldust to take on the Hart Foundation? In 1996, could he have had a feud with Vader to lead up to the Vader against HBK? Imagine if in 1996 during HBK's incredible run of matches if he had a match with Randy Savage at one of the ppv events? Maybe at King of the Ring or Summerslam?

Macho Man Randy Savage had so much more to give and could've really helped make everyone in the "New Generation" much bigger stars than they became.

It still makes me mad to this day that Vince McMahon basically made us as wrestilng fans miss out on so much potentially great stuff, all because he wanted Macho Man to commentate (who was very good at it, don't get me wrong). I'm not even saying that Savage should've never commentated. He could've still been a commentator, but he could've wrestled too. Instead of having him wrestle every week on Raw, on every house show and at every ppv. Have him have big feuds and matches at the ppv events, have him wrestle occassionally on TV to make it special, and maybe take him off house shows to ease his schedule. It could've worked. Savage wasn't like Hogan who has such an ego that he refused to help the younger guys and wanted to be the top dog even at 50. Savage simply loved to wrestle and would've gladly helped establish the new generation. He didn't really want tons of money and to on top. He just wanted to wrestle and be used and I think feel like he was wanted. I think Savage left because he was hurt by Vince that Vince wouldn't let him wrestle, like he didn't have faith in him anymore. I think that really bothered Savage, and that's why he left. It's really sad how much more great stuff we could've gotten from Randy Savage.

Wow, has it been a year already? Time certainly does fly. I would have said it was just over 6 months, but nowhere near a year!

I remember exactly where I was when I heard that Macho Man had been in a car accident. I was in an Indian resteraunt waiting to be seated when my friend arrived and told me that Savage had been in a car crash, I was shocked. Looking at the Internet on my phone confirmed my fears, Savage had passed away.

He really is a sad loss to the business, a phenomenal talent, strong in all areas and a great talker. Savage should have been back in the WWE working with the young guys and passing on his knowledge, and it is a shame that whatever issues he had with Vince stopped that from ever happening. He should go into the HOF too, no questoon.

RIP Randy Savage, the wrestling world is a much poorer place without you. Dig it ooooo yeeeeeahhhh!

Great blog, man. I have said and wondered the exact same thing! I miss potential matches with Bret Hart, HBK, Undertaker, Mr. Perfect, Lex Luger....and I can't even let my mind think about Macho Man-Austin or Macho Man vs. The Rock...I can't explain why in 1993, one year removed from a championship year, he wasn't even wrestling at Mania 9!!!

I lament with you on this!

Special thanks to dd23beatlesfan1...One of the best Macho Man blogs I ever read! I feel exactly the same way about the missed opportunity for Macho Man to wrestle the superstars of the 90's!!! I don't understand leaving that much money on the table with all those potential dream matches!!

The other poster nailed it. Vince wanted Savage to be retired and work as a color commentator. Savage wasn't ready to hang them up. He got the chance to go work for WCW and continue his in ring career. I'll also disagree that he was misused. Savage is one of the workers I think WCW did a great job with. He was mega over in WCW and was always popping the crowds. He had a really good feud with Ric Flair in 95-96 and then an outstanding feud with DDP in 97. He ended his run of great work with a highly entertaining "insanity" feud with Roddy Piper, Bret Hart and Hollywood Hogan. There was a lot of great stuff there. Then he got injured and disappeared for awhile.

When he came back he was slowed significantly by the knee surgery and had lost almost all of his explosiveness. He still managed to have a decent run that included another title win. If anything, WCW's mistake here was putting him back in the main event. He should have been a midcard brawler instead of a world champion. He was just too slowed by the knee injury to be a main guy anymore.

Unique is the word I think best describes Randy Savage, a complete one off. His promo style was crazy and entertaining, he could work any type of match or role required, from intense brawling face to sneaky heel, from underdog babyface to maniacal nutjob heel and anything in between.

The thing that made me a fan was the fact Randy made you believe, he threw himself so completely into whatever angle he was in, the peak of this for me being his WrestleMania 8 feud and match with Ric Flair; To this day the match remains the best WWF/E title match in WrestleMania history IMO and the after match promos are equally classic.

As a personality and an in ring performer he is one of the most consistently entertaining wrestlers of all time. He had classic feuds with Hogan and Warrior as a heel and Jake Roberts and Ric Flair as a face in the WWF and Vince should never have pulled him as a regular in ring performer in 93, he could have performed the same role as HBK did in his latter years and been a huge asset to WWF in a time of transition.

WWF's loss was WCW's gain and I think his time there from 95 to mid 98 was mostly filled with good stuff. The first 18 months were almost like a greatest hits package of his WWF time, teaming with Hogan and feuding with Flair..... then the NWO angle hit.

Savage was on the front line of the WCW fight back and was more over than ever, the ideal loose cannon lone wolf to go up against the NWO, an unpredictable and wild threat to their dominance, but then Hogan had him brought into the NWO and we were left with Lex Luger leading the charge before DDP got hot. During the course of the NWO angle Savage twice feuded with Hogan and this time he was the face, yet he still lost all the matches.

Savage's highlight in WCW was his feud with DDP that last most of 1997, he made DDP into a main eventer at Spring Stampede 97, not only putting him over but doing it in the middle of the ring by taking DDP's mega over finisher the Diamond Cutter, no half assed excuses, a genuine legend going out of his way to make a new top guy, it pretty much embodies the difference between Hogan and Savage.

The one thing I regret from his WCW run is that he never had a one on one PPV match with Vader, in fact I don't think he had a singles match with Vader at all, huge missed opportunity.

I also think Macho Man vs Sting in 95 when both were still faces would have been huge, but the two never met until 1998 and their WHC match at Spring Stampede was not all that great.

I'm sure in the next year or two he will go into the HOF but it wont be as the headliner as it should have been because he's dead, and I think it will be tinged with the sad regret that we have forever been deprived of what would surely have been one of the greatest induction speeches ever.

RIP Macho, and thanks for everything!

Wow! Thanks for all the trips down memory lane, guys. When you think icon, a legend, an individual who changed the wrestling/entertainment industry for the better, you automatically think Randy "Macho Man" Savage. Unlike his brother in the Mega Powers, Hulk Hogan, he actually did what was best for business. He put people over when he felt it was neccessary and he never refused to help anyone out.

Macho Man was the epitome of why wrestling was and still is great. His legacy will live on despite his problems with Vince McMahon and all of us fans were richer for having him in our lives for so brief a time. WWE's Hall Of Fame will never be legitimate to me until Savage is inducted. Especially when guys like Koko B. Ware or Mike Tyson who weren't half the entertainer/wrestler Savage was are already in. Hopefully, WWE will do the right thing and induct Savage into the 2013 HOF. OHHHH YEEAHH!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back