Redskins may trade up to 2nd overall pick to draft Blaine Gabbert

The Other Hardy Brother

Occasional Pre-Show
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...-to-move-up-in-draft-take-missouri-qb-gabbert

What do you guys think of this? As a Broncos fan myself I don't know. After the season we had last year I was looking forward to getting a stud with the second overall pick. We obviously don't need Gabbert ourselves but theres alot of talented guys up there. AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Marcell Dareus, D'Quan Bowers. The article said we need more assets but it also said the Skins don't have alot this year to trade. So it would all be future stuff. The questions im asking are,

1.) Would this be the right move for the Broncos?

2.) If so what should they ask for in return?

3.) Do you think Gabbert is worthy of the second overall pick if Washington decides to go through with it.

4.) If the Broncos keep the pick who should they take?

5.) If they trade it who should they take tenth?

Of course it is the right move if they get the allotted amount in return then you do it. The Skins seem to be a team that doesn't value draft picks as much as others so I'm sure Dan Snyder would be generous.

Well most GM's follow the value chart when it comes to trading draft picks. Pick 2 is worth 2,600 points. The Skins pick at 10 is worth 1,300 and their 2nd is 490. So they would likely throw in a 2012 1st round pick to balance things out.

3.) Do you think Gabbert is worthy of the second overall pick if Washington decides to go through with it.

Gabbert seems like a Shanahan kind of QB so if that is truly who Washington wants then yes is worth the pick. Gabbert can go as high as 4 and as low as 8 in my mind so Washington in essence needs to trade up and snatch him. I'm not a fan of Gabbert, but he seems perfect for Shanahan and Washington is probably his best place to succeed.

Marcel Dareus, plain and simple. He is an absolute machine in the middle and John Fox loves his defensive guys. You need a strong interior force when it comes to the defensive line and Dareus gives Denver just that.

5.) If they trade it who should they take tenth?

At this point there a couple of options for Denver. I think the most likely would be Da'Quan Bowers. Bowers at one point was an excellent pick at Denver's original pick, but injury concerns have dropped him down a bit. At pick 10 he is well worth the pick. And again Denver needs defensive help more than anything.

Only if Washington OVERPAYS. Considering that Washington is likely to overpay for anything, this seems like a likely scenario. The law of supply and demand kicks in here. Equal value is unacceptable because it never works out like that. Inevitably someone gets screwed. A future first round pick for Denver does them no good if Washington finishes later in the draft. While this isn't likely, it's not something I would bank on, either.

Snyder has overpaid for everything in his life. Fox and Elway should see exactly how far they can push Snyder if Gabbert is really their man. They'll more than likely get what they ask for. Probably more if they tried.

See above, but to say it succinctly; the house, Snyder will probably give it up.

I disagree with Theo. He's right about one thing, value is determined by the team rather than the player, but I don't think Gabbert is the number two QB on the board.

Taking the Vegas odds, which list Newton as 1/2 for the number 1 pick, he'd be the first QB taken.

This may surprise a lot of people, but I think Kaepernick is the number 2 quarterback on that list. If you read what the scouts are saying about him, a lot of GM's and such are saying that he has the most UPSIDE.

He's the same size as Gabbert, roughly the same weight (little smaller), fastest 40 time of any QB, and has comparative arm strength. Colin has shown a desire to improve at the highest level and has mastered something that few QB's do early on in their careers, get rid of the damn ball if it's not there.

No disagreement with Theo here. At all, everything down to Bowers being an injury liability was spot on. MAYBE, MAYBE Peterson, but that's not the most pressing need for the Broncos.

5.) If they trade it who should they take tenth?[/QUOTE]

Theo is right once again. Bowers has fallen out of favor with scouts because of injury concerns. If he's there, take him. If not and the other names we've mentioned are gone as well, take Liuget or Jordan. Fills the same need and they'll most likely be the next available players at those positions.

While I like Kaepernick's upside, there is NO WAY I'm taking him that high. Hell I'm not sure I'd even take him in round one. Gabbert to many scouts is the number 1 QB in the draft and has the best pro potential. While I don't see it in Gabbert, he has the intangibles. Kaepernick to me is a 2nd round pick at best. A team like Buffalo could snatch him in round two as a future QB. Hell if Washington really wanted Kaepernick I'm sure they could work a deal with NE to for the 33nd pick. Kaepernick is good prospect, but not near top level talent in my mind.

God I hope not. I like Blaine Gabbert since he's from Mizzou, and I don't want to see him to to the train wreck they call a football team in Washington.

Mike Shanahan allegedly dispelled this rumor at his press conference today. The 'Skins might move up if Gabbert falls to the Titans at 8 but there's no way Shanahan's going to trade this year's first along with a first and third from next year to move up to number 2.

Anyway, the Broncos should stay at 2. Within 2 years, Josh McDaniels turned a solid franchise into a sinking ship that will now take at least three years to rebuild.

If I were Denver I'd be putting out a lot of "Buffalo's going to draft a QB third" gossip through the rumor mills to try to trump up interest in a trade of their second pick for a package of picks. They've got a ton of needs and I'd look into getting what I could out of San Francisco, Tennessee, Washington or Minnesota who all could be looking QB in the first round and would probably prefer Gabbert considerably over their third QB on the board. I don't think a team is considerably harmed by moving down in a draft typically, and I think that there is plenty of D-Line depth in this draft to fill a need with a capable player in the first round no matter where they're drafting.

I don't know that I'd give up a ton if I were in Washington's shoes for Gabbert because I'm not certain he's the guy, but I get him as a fit for Shanahan.

While I like Kaepernick's upside, there is NO WAY I'm taking him that high. Hell I'm not sure I'd even take him in round one. Gabbert to many scouts is the number 1 QB in the draft and has the best pro potential. While I don't see it in Gabbert, he has the intangibles. Kaepernick to me is a 2nd round pick at best. A team like Buffalo could snatch him in round two as a future QB. Hell if Washington really wanted Kaepernick I'm sure they could work a deal with NE to for the 33nd pick. Kaepernick is good prospect, but not near top level talent in my mind.

I wouldn't take Kaepernick that high either, but I also wouldn't take Gabbert that high. My supposition was based on a team WANTING a QB that high in the draft. If they were forced to take one. Not based off of "should" and such.

To be honest, there's not a single QB in the draft this year worth banking your franchise on. Every single one of them is a huge question mark.

God I hope not. I like Blaine Gabbert since he's from Mizzou, and I don't want to see him to to the train wreck they call a football team in Washington.

This. For all the Gabbert and Mizzou fans out there, this.

Mike Shanahan allegedly dispelled this rumor at his press conference today. The 'Skins might move up if Gabbert falls to the Titans at 8 but there's no way Shanahan's going to trade this year's first along with a first and third from next year to move up to number 2.

Anyway, the Broncos should stay at 2. Within 2 years, Josh McDaniels turned a solid franchise into a sinking ship that will now take at least three years to rebuild.

We will see what happens when Dan Snyder decides or does not decide he wants something. Shanahan would like to believe he has power, but as evidenced by the re-signing of McNabb, he's got jack.

But yes, the Broncos need to stay at 2 and keep their pick.

I don't know that I'd give up a ton if I were in Washington's shoes for Gabbert because I'm not certain he's the guy, but I get him as a fit for Shanahan.

You have a brain, the people that have ran the Redskins for the past...forever, don't.

Interesting to note that Gabbert fell to the Redskins, they didn't have to trade up and in fact traded down so Jacksonville could take him. Also Tennessee, San Fran, and Cincy and Arizona all needed Quarterbacks and passed on him as well. Tells me most of the teams think he will be a bust. Jacksonville is stupid.

Oh and we got Von Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back