• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Major Potential NBA Trade

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
The Cleveland Cavaliers are trying to get the number two pick in the draft to go along with their number one overall pick. The Cavs would then use the two picks to take both Kyrie Irving AND Derrick Williams. The trade would involve the T'Wolves and Pistons along with Cleveland. Here's how the trade would be laid out.

Cleveland receives the number 8 pick from Detroit and they absorb the over $12 million contract of Rip Hamilton which they are able to do because of the $14.6 million trade exception they received from Miami for LeBron. They'd also get the number two pick from Minnesota. This leaves Cleveland with the one and two picks overall. They would buy out Rip's contract leaving him free to sign with anyone.

Minnesota would receive the number 4 pick from Cleveland as well as the number 8 pick from Cleveland which they would have just received from Detroit. Basically the T'Wolves are getting the 4 and 8 picks for the 2 pick.

Detroit wouldn't receive any players or picks but they would be saving a shit ton of money allowing them more flexibility with trades and free agency. With this being a weak draft and the Pistons already having a lot of young talent it is a good deal for them.

Thoughts?

I think that trade would work out for everyone, because Cleveland needs something to look forward to, and with the number 1 and 2 picks, it would be more of a cushion because if they only have the 1 pick and take a bust, they would be questions on why they didnt take the other guy, so now they can take two and hopefully have it pan out for them. They also really have no one to sell tickets, and they can't win, so they need to do something.

Minnesota understands that none of these guys are really the next big star of the NBA and turning one pick into two similarly high picks is a huge bonus.

Detroit might suffer the most from this trade at first, because they need to rebuild, but with the eight pick, they won't find that star guy. They are cashed strapped and need to make some moves to get from under those crazy contracts they have.

The trade might also work out for Rip if he would be willing to take a MLE or a low price in general in order to play for a contender. He needs a change of scenery anyway.

The King says "Do It".

Even though this is a weak draft, Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams would be top ten picks even in a strong draft. Cleveland at the very least is essentially getting two top 10 caliber rookies no matter what the year.

One of the biggest winners in this trade could actual be the Chicago Bulls as crazy as that sounds. They would be the top suitor for Rip Hamilton. Rip is exactly what Chicago needs as shooting guard is their weakest position. Rip adds another scoring option outside of Rose, he is a solid defender, and he is a proven winner. He went to 6 straight East Finals, two straight NBA finals, and won an NBA title with the Pistons. He is exactly the type of veteran presence the Bulls need to take that next step.

I didn't even think about the Chicago Bulls getting Rip. That would actually be what they need to push them to the finals. He's been there before, and he's still a deadly midrange shooter. When they played the Heat, Rose had no help, and they only had one shooter, Kyle Korver, and as anyone could see, they double teamed him at the end of game 5 and the Bulls had no option. if they had Rip then, that would have opened up Korver or Rose or even Rip to atleast take a better shot. Hopefully he signs to a contender and not just signs with anyone, cause his career is at it's end. I think he'd be dangerous on either of the two teams in the finals, too.

Unless Minnesota really loves Enes Kanter and wants to give up on Darko, it makes no sense for them. After Irving and Williams, the best guys available are point guards like Knight and Walker or bigs like Kanter and Vesely. The Wolves need wingman and Derrick Williams could play SF and allow them to play small ball with Love at center and Beasley at PF. Some people are saying Williams and Beasly are too similar to justify why Minny should trade out, but Beasley is a free agent after next year and it's hard to see him staying there. Williams is the guy who fits best now and will called upon to replace Beasley in 2012.

If I was Detroit, I'd try and use Hamilton's salary to get involved in what could be going down with the Lakers. They might be able to land Bynum, Gasol, or Odom for a package involving Hamilton and a couple of pieces plus that #8 pick.

Its good but i think its still a risk taking Kyrie Irving #1 overall... The few and only games i seen him play he looked good but i just think Brandon Knight will be better just based of his athletic ability and thats the style for PGs these days.

Minnisota to me got the deal cus that would leave Brandon Knight on the board for them. That means they can wheel and deal Flynn and decide on either Ridnour or Rubio. Kanter should be on the board still at 8th. Dont know another team that needs a center.

Detroit got better cause i always said that either RIP or BEN had to go. Now they need to decide if Stuckey is their point guard and decide on him

Irving has a lot of potential in him. He is a very talented point guard and it would be interesting to see the Cavs get the 1st and 2nd pick. It will build up their roster and could set the team on track. Every since the Cavs lost Lebron it's been going down to a complete downfall.

Unless Minnesota really loves Enes Kanter and wants to give up on Darko, it makes no sense for them. After Irving and Williams, the best guys available are point guards like Knight and Walker or bigs like Kanter and Vesely. The Wolves need wingman and Derrick Williams could play SF and allow them to play small ball with Love at center and Beasley at PF. Some people are saying Williams and Beasly are too similar to justify why Minny should trade out, but Beasley is a free agent after next year and it's hard to see him staying there. Williams is the guy who fits best now and will called upon to replace Beasley in 2012.

The Beasley to Williams comparison isn't the only reason Minnesota would make this deal. They need more then just one player to help them out. If the move Beasley to the three spot full time then they'd need another big man and Kanter would be a great compliment to Love inside. Then Darko could be the third big man coming off the bench because I don't think they see him as a full time starter. They could then get a very solid wing player in Kawhi Leonard with the 8 pick.

If I was Detroit, I'd try and use Hamilton's salary to get involved in what could be going down with the Lakers. They might be able to land Bynum, Gasol, or Odom for a package involving Hamilton and a couple of pieces plus that #8 pick.

The Lakers aren't guaranteed to make a deal and there is no way Detroit could get Bynum or Gasol with the pieces they have to offer. They may be able to get Odom but he wouldn't fit their at all. He'd be just like Rip essentially, a player getting older who is making too much money.

getting rid of 12 million dollars worth of a bad contract, plus getting rid of a huge cancer at the same time is a win for the Pistons, with or without any draft picks. Rip must go. He was a good player, a popular player, but this season he wasted any good impression of him I had left with the completely unprofessional way he handled the Kuester situation. Too bad the deal doesn't include Tayshaun Prince too...The Pistons need to completely severe ties with both of them.

The Beasley to Williams comparison isn't the only reason Minnesota would make this deal. They need more then just one player to help them out. If the move Beasley to the three spot full time then they'd need another big man and Kanter would be a great compliment to Love inside. Then Darko could be the third big man coming off the bench because I don't think they see him as a full time starter. They could then get a very solid wing player in Kawhi Leonard with the 8 pick.

Minnesota certainly needs more than one player, but would the #4 and the #8 picks give them two guys capable of having a combined impact equal to Derrick Williams? This is considered to be one of the worst drafts in history. And like I said already, Beasley is only there for 2011 and then his contract expires. There's no way that kid is going to commit to Minnesota long-term.

If Williams is the best player available AND you're going to need him to start in 2012, why pass him up? Heck, if Beasley plays well in the first part of 2011 you could probably find a solid trade for him at the deadline. There might even be a decent draft day trade available considering how well he played last year.

As for Minny needing big men, GM David Kahn loves Darko. Just last winter he was comparing him to Chris Webber and talking up and down about his still having untapped potential. They also have a solid young guy behind him in Nikola Pekovic. I've heard a lot of mixed talk about Kanter, with many people thinking his value is inflated both by being from overseas and the horrid crop of big men in this draft class. Of course I have no idea what the Wolves' scouts or Kahn think of this guy, so maybe they love him and would make this deal in a heartbeat to get him. We'll find out.

The Lakers aren't guaranteed to make a deal and there is no way Detroit could get Bynum or Gasol with the pieces they have to offer. They may be able to get Odom but he wouldn't fit their at all. He'd be just like Rip essentially, a player getting older who is making too much money.

Of course there's no guarantee (I said "could be"), but as a Laker fan I feel pretty confident that someone's going to be shipped out. I think with Mike Brown being hired and a new defensive mentality being brought to the team, Gasol is the guy in trouble. He's not a strong man defender and he's horrid in a zone.

As for Detroit having pieces to make a deal, I think you're underestimating them. Here's an example of a trade that COULD make sense for both teams:

Pistons get Pau Gasol, Luke Walton, Steve Blake

Lakers get Richard Hamilton, Charlie Villanueva, Rodney Stuckey (sign-and-trade)

The Lakers add depth with Hamilton and Villanueva while getting the much-needed upgrade to their starting PG spot with Stuckey. Or, they could potentially move Artest to the bench (or try and trade him away too) and start both Hamilton and Kobe (Bryant at SF). That's a pretty decent haul for Gasol considering how awful he played in the playoffs. Plus, they get to dump the bad Walton and Blake contracts.

Now for Detroit, it's a chance to get something for a disgruntled player (Rip) and a guy who'd probably be leaving anyway (Stuckey) as a free agent. Gasol and Greg Monroe could makes a decent combo in the paint. Blake is still a very solid backup PG but just struggled in the triangle offense with the Lakers.

I'm not saying this is the best deal either team could make, but it's just an example of how a trade could reasonably be found between them.

Too bad the deal doesn't include Tayshaun Prince too...The Pistons need to completely severe ties with both of them.

Prince's contract expired so you got your wish. I think he's a very likely mid-level exception signing for the Heat this summer.

getting rid of 12 million dollars worth of a bad contract, plus getting rid of a huge cancer at the same time is a win for the Pistons, with or without any draft picks. Rip must go. He was a good player, a popular player, but this season he wasted any good impression of him I had left with the completely unprofessional way he handled the Kuester situation. Too bad the deal doesn't include Tayshaun Prince too...The Pistons need to completely severe ties with both of them.

Tayshaun is a free agent so he's gone regardless.

Minnesota certainly needs more than one player, but would the #4 and the #8 picks give them two guys capable of having a combined impact equal to Derrick Williams? This is considered to be one of the worst drafts in history. And like I said already, Beasley is only there for 2011 and then his contract expires. There's no way that kid is going to commit to Minnesota long-term.

Enes Kanter had he been able to play college ball this year would have more then likely been on equal footing with Irving and Williams in terms of who should go number one so getting him gives them a top 3 player in this draft plus another top 10 pick to get a solid guy like Leonard. Beasley may leave when his contract expires but he also may want to resign in the place that resurrected his career. From everything I've seen he seems to like it in Minnesota. Plus they'd have Leonard as a back up plan.

If Williams is the best player available AND you're going to need him to start in 2012, why pass him up? Heck, if Beasley plays well in the first part of 2011 you could probably find a solid trade for him at the deadline. There might even be a decent draft day trade available considering how well he played last year.

Again, why are you so certain Beasley will leave? And they'd still have the pick of Leonard who most scouts agree may not be a superstar but will be a starter in this league for years to come.

As for Minny needing big men, GM David Kahn loves Darko. Just last winter he was comparing him to Chris Webber and talking up and down about his still having untapped potential. They also have a solid young guy behind him in Nikola Pekovic. I've heard a lot of mixed talk about Kanter, with many people thinking his value is inflated both by being from overseas and the horrid crop of big men in this draft class. Of course I have no idea what the Wolves' scouts or Kahn think of this guy, so maybe they love him and would make this deal in a heartbeat to get him. We'll find out.

Kahn loves Darko but he was hit or miss all season and his production went down as the season progressed. Besides you need at least 3 or 4 big men in the rotation and Love is the only big man on the roster who is a legitimate everyday starter. Kanter adds depth and the possibility of turning into a great player.

Of course there's no guarantee (I said "could be"), but as a Laker fan I feel pretty confident that someone's going to be shipped out. I think with Mike Brown being hired and a new defensive mentality being brought to the team, Gasol is the guy in trouble. He's not a strong man defender and he's horrid in a zone.

Even if Gasol get dealt the Pistons wouldn't be getting him in a Rip trade. Plus the Pistons are desperate to deal Rip so they can't wait around for things that may or may not happen.

As for Detroit having pieces to make a deal, I think you're underestimating them. Here's an example of a trade that COULD make sense for both teams:

Pistons get Pau Gasol, Luke Walton, Steve Blake

Lakers get Richard Hamilton, Charlie Villanueva, Rodney Stuckey (sign-and-trade)

That is an absolutely horrendous trade for both sides. The Lakers would be taking on an absurd amount of money with Rip, Charlie V, and Stuckey's new deal. Not to mention outside of Stuckey none of those guys really fit. Rip would get limited playing time as Kobe's back up and Charlie V plays absolutely ZERO defense. You can complain about Gasol's defense all you want but he is 100x better of a defender over Charlie V.

For the Pistons they'd be getting nothing outside of Gasol. Steve Blake or Will Bynum would end up being their starting point guard which would be horrible for them and Luke Walton as a 3 gets added to the Pistons deepest position on their roster. Not to mention Detroit is looking to dump salaries and with this deal they'd be taking on a shit ton of money. This deal makes almost no sense for either team.

Now for Detroit, it's a chance to get something for a disgruntled player (Rip) and a guy who'd probably be leaving anyway (Stuckey) as a free agent. Gasol and Greg Monroe could makes a decent combo in the paint. Blake is still a very solid backup PG but just struggled in the triangle offense with the Lakers.

Stuckey is a restricted free agent and is more then likely going to be resigned. He had a great finish to this season and I expect him to have a huge year next season.

I'm not saying this is the best deal either team could make, but it's just an example of how a trade could reasonably be found between them.

It may be reasonable in the fact that the contracts fit but outside of that I don't know if I could think of a worse trade for either team.

Enes Kanter had he been able to play college ball this year would have more then likely been on equal footing with Irving and Williams in terms of who should go number one so getting him gives them a top 3 player in this draft plus another top 10 pick to get a solid guy like Leonard. Beasley may leave when his contract expires but he also may want to resign in the place that resurrected his career. From everything I've seen he seems to like it in Minnesota. Plus they'd have Leonard as a back up plan

Kahn loves Darko but he was hit or miss all season and his production went down as the season progressed. Besides you need at least 3 or 4 big men in the rotation and Love is the only big man on the roster who is a legitimate everyday starter. Kanter adds depth and the possibility of turning into a great player.

You could easily be right, but we'll never know what he would have done at Kentucky. Probably would have slid in and replaced Cousins wonderfully but he also might have struggled in his freshman year.

Also, who's to say he'll still be there at #4? I know Utah doesn't need him but they also don't really need Knight or Walker, either. They could easily be looking to trade out as well and the team that moves into that spot may want Kanter. If Minnesota likes Kanter as much as you do, then maybe they should just stay at #2 to take him.

Again, why are you so certain Beasley will leave? And they'd still have the pick of Leonard who most scouts agree may not be a superstar but will be a starter in this league for years to come.

Have you seen the history of the T'Wolves the last twenty years when it comes to free agents? Players don't come there and few guys stay there. Beasley may not be a total headcase anymore but he's still a young guy who got his first taste of the NBA life in Miami. I have a hard time seeing him staying in a cold weather city with few of the attractions of the other major sports towns based on his personality and background. He and his agent have probably looked at this time in Minnesota as a brief exile/punishment/rehab period for him to prove himself after the way he entered the league and have been discussing his next move all year. And at his age with his range of skills, he could easily get a deal.

Plus the Pistons are desperate to deal Rip so they can't wait around for things that may or may not happen.

Good point.

That is an absolutely horrendous trade for both sides. The Lakers would be taking on an absurd amount of money with Rip, Charlie V, and Stuckey's new deal. Not to mention outside of Stuckey none of those guys really fit. Rip would get limited playing time as Kobe's back up and Charlie V plays absolutely ZERO defense. You can complain about Gasol's defense all you want but he is 100x better of a defender over Charlie V.

You can't say the Lakers are "taking on money" when they're moving an equal amount of salary with the same years. They've still got 2-3 years on each of those players, and Blake and Walton are basically dead money compared to the three guys they'd be getting from the Pistons. Those guys can actually play.

Rip would get plenty of playing time. He could be a starter if Kobe moves to SF or he'd be the first guy off the bench. Odom got 28 mins per game as the sixth-man. If Odom moves into the starting lineup to replace Gasol and both Shannon Brown and Matt Barnes are probably leaving, then there's tons of time for Hamilton.

As for the guys "fitting," Phil Jackson is gone so the system is changing. Hamilton could easily fit into that starting lineup or as the sixth-man, giving the Lakers the outside shooting that Artest never could. And if Villanueva isn't a good fit then you could possibly replace his name with Jason Maxiell in the trade. I picked Charlie of the two because he's got the worse contract so I'd assume he's the guy Detroit would want to move. But you can't really talk about "fits" right now when team is undergoing a major Phil-osophical change.

For the Pistons they'd be getting nothing outside of Gasol. Steve Blake or Will Bynum would end up being their starting point guard which would be horrible for them and Luke Walton as a 3 gets added to the Pistons deepest position on their roster. Not to mention Detroit is looking to dump salaries and with this deal they'd be taking on a shit ton of money. This deal makes almost no sense for either team.

Gasol is a pretty good get for in exchange for a guy who hates playing for you, a young guy who you may not be able to re-sign, and an overpaid free agent mistake. Having to take on the Blake and Walton contracts is just the price of doing business. I know they want to shed salary and that's why I said this isn't likely or the best deal they could make, but being able to flip borderline assets for an All-Star seven-footer is a pretty strong move. Gasol could be fairly dominate in the East. Blake and Walton aren't ideal but their combined cap hit is about what they're paying Villanueva now anyway.

But regardless, as I said, this was more about showing a possibility. You said there was "no way" the Pistons could get Gasol and I just wanted to show how it was possible based on the pieces. I think they fit a little better than you do, but I certainly believe there are better trades out there for both teams.

Stuckey is a restricted free agent and is more then likely going to be resigned. He had a great finish to this season and I expect him to have a huge year next season.

You're right, but who's to say that will be in Detroit? Everything I've read says Stuckey was pissed that they didn't extend him last summer. He also just changed agents to Leon Rose (LeBron, Melo, Paul's agent). When a guy moves to a powerhouse agent right before free agency, that's usually a major sign that he's planning to leave. You're right that he's a RFA and Detroit could match, but it'd be insane for them to be working so hard to dump one disgruntled guy in Hamilton only to create another with Stuckey by forcing him to stay. You don't want that anywhere on your roster, but from your starting point guard is the absolute worst.

You could easily be right, but we'll never know what he would have done at Kentucky. Probably would have slid in and replaced Cousins wonderfully but he also might have struggled in his freshman year.

Also, who's to say he'll still be there at #4? I know Utah doesn't need him but they also don't really need Knight or Walker, either. They could easily be looking to trade out as well and the team that moves into that spot may want Kanter. If Minnesota likes Kanter as much as you do, then maybe they should just stay at #2 to take him.

Kanter may not pan out but it's not like Williams is a guarantee either. There is never a guarantee especially in a weak draft like this. As far as Utah goes they definitely are in huge need of a point guard and it is pretty much a guarantee that they will take Walker or Knight.

Have you seen the history of the T'Wolves the last twenty years when it comes to free agents? Players don't come there and few guys stay there. Beasley may not be a total headcase anymore but he's still a young guy who got his first taste of the NBA life in Miami. I have a hard time seeing him staying in a cold weather city with few of the attractions of the other major sports towns based on his personality and background. He and his agent have probably looked at this time in Minnesota as a brief exile/punishment/rehab period for him to prove himself after the way he entered the league and have been discussing his next move all year. And at his age with his range of skills, he could easily get a deal.

Kevin Garnett chose to stay there almost his entire career until close to the end when he wanted a title. Minnesota has a good young nucleus and Beasley knows he is a top guy there.

You can't say the Lakers are "taking on money" when they're moving an equal amount of salary with the same years. They've still got 2-3 years on each of those players, and Blake and Walton are basically dead money compared to the three guys they'd be getting from the Pistons. Those guys can actually play.

They are getting rid of money but then taking on that same money with the guys received in return so they are essentially taking on money. The point in getting rid of bad contracts is to not get any in return. Plus Gasol is better then anyone they'd be getting from the Pistons.

Rip would get plenty of playing time. He could be a starter if Kobe moves to SF or he'd be the first guy off the bench. Odom got 28 mins per game as the sixth-man. If Odom moves into the starting lineup to replace Gasol and both Shannon Brown and Matt Barnes are probably leaving, then there's tons of time for Hamilton.

I'm sorry but if I'm paying a guy 12 million dollars I don't want him playing bench minutes. Kobe wouldn't move to small forward with Artest starting and Rip can't play small forward that well so he essentially is a one position player. You want your 6th man to be able to play multiple positions, like Odom can.

As for the guys "fitting," Phil Jackson is gone so the system is changing. Hamilton could easily fit into that starting lineup or as the sixth-man, giving the Lakers the outside shooting that Artest never could. And if Villanueva isn't a good fit then you could possibly replace his name with Jason Maxiell in the trade. I picked Charlie of the two because he's got the worse contract so I'd assume he's the guy Detroit would want to move. But you can't really talk about "fits" right now when team is undergoing a major Phil-osophical change.

Rip isn't all that great of an outside shooter unless he is set and wide open. He really isn't any better then Artest shooting the three. Jason Maxiell is nothing more then a bench hustle player. If you are getting rid of Gasol you need some type of solid big man in return or you are weakening your front line which is currently a Laker strength.

Gasol is a pretty good get for in exchange for a guy who hates playing for you, a young guy who you may not be able to re-sign, and an overpaid free agent mistake. Having to take on the Blake and Walton contracts is just the price of doing business. I know they want to shed salary and that's why I said this isn't likely or the best deal they could make, but being able to flip borderline assets for an All-Star seven-footer is a pretty strong move. Gasol could be fairly dominate in the East. Blake and Walton aren't ideal but their combined cap hit is about what they're paying Villanueva now anyway

Gasol is good but he's making nearly $20 million over the next couple years and he doesn't make the Pistons a contender. Joe D is all about winning championships which is why he is trying to shed money to build with the young players he has. The only scenario in which the Pistons take on money is if they can get a superstar. Gasol is not a superstar.

But regardless, as I said, this was more about showing a possibility. You said there was "no way" the Pistons could get Gasol and I just wanted to show how it was possible based on the pieces. I think they fit a little better than you do, but I certainly believe there are better trades out there for both teams.

I said "no way" because the Lakers would never make a deal like that not because it couldn't work out monetarily.

You're right, but who's to say that will be in Detroit? Everything I've read says Stuckey was pissed that they didn't extend him last summer. He also just changed agents to Leon Rose (LeBron, Melo, Paul's agent). When a guy moves to a powerhouse agent right before free agency, that's usually a major sign that he's planning to leave. You're right that he's a RFA and Detroit could match, but it'd be insane for them to be working so hard to dump one disgruntled guy in Hamilton only to create another with Stuckey by forcing him to stay. You don't want that anywhere on your roster, but from your starting point guard is the absolute worst.

Stuckey is far from disgruntled. He loves Joe Dumars and the Pistons franchise. He has made no indication that he wants to leave. In fact he has said numerous times that he wants to stay. Besides no one is going to give Stuckey any big money deal and as a restricted free agent any offer will be easy to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back