REALLY? I mean dude.......REALLY?

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
http://abcnews.go.com/US/yankees-fan-caught-derek-jeter-ball-pickle-irs/story?id=14054473

The fan that caught the Derek Jeter 3000th hit home run ball was given a bunch of seats to future Yankees games. The IRS says he may owe taxes on those seats due to their value.

I know it may be realistic under the law, I know the seats have value, I know this may be all legal, but dude...............REALLY?

Someone at the IRS has the nerve to say we need to go after a guy that caught a baseball while companies like GE pay ZERO in taxes? Or there are people that pay nothing and get away with it because there aren't enough auditors? All that is ok apparently, but a guy getting seats for catching a baseball might have to pay the IRS something because of it? That's what's highest on the IRS' priority list?

REALLY?

GE pays taxes KB. This is coming from someone whose father is high up in GE.

Now back to your really comment, the IRS are a bunch of complete assholes.

I completely agree with you KB, I mean the guy catches a baseball and does the honorable thing buy giving that ball back to Jeter because it was his 3000 hit and gets tickets for it and the IRS is going to charge him taxes for it, sheesh. I got to think that the IRS has better things to do then charge a fan for doing the right thing and being rewarded for it. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. :shrug:

I'm sure there are ways to enjoy the seats without paying tax on it. For example, the Yankees have the right to do whatever they want with their seats. Maybe in this case, they charge $.01 for each seat, and say a free hot dog and soda come with the seat.

That way it won't be a gift, it's a legal contract between seller and owner, and the IRS can fuck right off.

IANAL, so I can't say with certainty what the laws are in this case, but I can't believe this can't be beaten.

I'm sure there are ways to enjoy the seats without paying tax on it. For example, the Yankees have the right to do whatever they want with their seats. Maybe in this case, they charge $.01 for each seat, and say a free hot dog and soda come with the seat.

That way it won't be a gift, it's a legal contract between seller and owner, and the IRS can fuck right off.

IANAL, so I can't say with certainty what the laws are in this case, but I can't believe this can't be beaten.

I agree with Sly, there will be a way to get around these, but why the hell would he even have to pay tax on them anyway if he was given free seats?

I dont get this at all, it seems ridiculous

I do not think the Yankees can do that because something along the lines of "fair market value" would become an issue.

Actually, the guy will want what he received to be recognized as a gift. For the most part when it comes to a true gift he has no tax liability. Problem here would likely be that the IRS could say the gift he received had promotional benefits to the Yankees. If it isn't a gift then he is pretty much screwed and by screwed I mean he would have to sell some of the tickets (the horror!).

From what I heard on the radio this morning it's going to cost him $20,000. No idea if that number was just thrown out or if it was legit. The guy is going to be on my local radio station tomorrow so I'll try to hear it and see what's going on.

Update from ESPN.com:

If the fan who returned Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit ball has to pay taxes on the goods he received from the New York Yankees, companies are ready to strike out his debt.

Christian Lopez, a 23-year-old cellphone salesman from Highland Mills, N.Y., scooped up the milestone baseball Saturday. Instead of trying to sell the ball, he decided to give it back to Jeter. The Yankees responded by giving him memorabilia and tickets, setting off media speculation that Lopez would have to pay taxes on his windfall.

More From ESPNNewYork.com

Derek Jeter rejuvenated Yankees fans with his 3,000th hit, as the Captain conjured a drink from the Fountain of Youth, writes Ian O'Connor. Story

Jeter finally delivered an iconic memory in the new Yankee Stadium, and this one is destined to live forever, writes Wallace Matthews. Story

The only thing better than Jeter's feat? The fact that Yankees fans were on hand to witness the magical moment at home, writes Rob Parker. Story

• Yankees blog | ESPN New York

According to accountants contacted by the New York Daily News and New York Times, that tax bill could end up being anywhere from $5,000 to $14,000.

"Worse comes to worse, I'll have to pay the taxes," Lopez told the Daily News on Monday. "I'm not going to return the seats. I have a lot of family and friends who will help me out if need be.

"The IRS has a job to do, so I'm not going to hold it against them, but it would be cool if they helped me out a little on this."

Well, it looks as if he will get some help if he needs it. Miller High Life issued a statement Wednesday saying that the company would cover Lopez's tax bill.

"Miller High Life believes you should be rewarded for doing the right thing, not penalized," Miller High Life brand manager Brendan Noonan said in a statement. "We want to recognize Christian Lopez, and in turn everyone like him, for doing the common sense thing and help him continue to live the High Life."

The sporting goods store Modell's also will announce Wednesday afternoon at its Times Square location that five percent of all of its Yankees merchandise sales July 13-19 will be donated to Lopez to help pay the taxes and student loans he's accrued.

Lopez has said he owes $100,000 from his days at St. Lawrence University.

According to reports, Lopez received luxury box tickets for the rest of the season (including postseason), signed baseballs, bats and jerseys from Jeter. He also received front-row seats to Sunday's Yankees-Rays game.

That's nice to hear.

Am I the only one who pictures the guy from the Miller High Life commercials saying that, instead of the actual manager?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back