• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RAW Commentary

hollowpoint

The Greatest of the Universe!!
Last's nights Raw was really good, but it should've been better. The commentary team of Cole, JR, and Lawler has not worked to say the least. They aren't calling the action in the ring and even worse, when they interrupt each other to try and make jokes, they aren't even funny or entertaining! It was hard to listen to them last night. The segment with Ziggler/Guerrero was even worse! I don't think a single move was called during the match. With all of that said I guess my questions are simple:

What are your opinions of the commentary team?

Would it be better without Michael Cole?

Is this the direction the WWE wants the commentary to go?

IMO, putting Cole on both shows puts a damper on the commentary. Him being a "character" instead of a commentator makes it hard to watch on TV. Your thoughts.

I think everyone knows coles the problem hopefully, his character is arrogant and really makes me anyway want to mute when hes commentating not just because hes not funny at all but he screws up a good 1 out of ever 5 moves he calls, I don't think there's really any future of Cole coming back and just being a normal commentator that doesn't make bad jokes and insults other people. I think if the wwe gave the option to mute cole and just listen to Jr and Jerry about 99% would the 1% being coles parents/ siblings and heck I dont even know if they'd listen to him

It's a disaster. They hardly call a move, and it's all directed on Michael Cole's pathetic jokes. I don't laugh and just sit there and shake my head in disgust. They need to turn Cole face and just call the action or they need to get rid of him. Plain and simple.

And my opinions on Michael Cole, as I didn't directly put my opinions earlier, I just hate him. He's not funny, and his obsession with people like The Miz and Alberto Del Rio just annoys me. Aswell as that, he's now R-Truth's fan and he was always playing down Truth a few months ago. I just don't get Cole at all.

The reason commentary is so bad is not because of anyone of these individuals, but rather they way they go about treating the audience like a bunch of ******ed kindergarteners.

It's almost painful to sit there and listen to these guys, who are all better than what they're putting out there; but it's not like they can be blamed when we all know damn well that they've been given scripts to follow with Vince and company yelling in their ears, telling them just what to say.

The treat the audience each week like they've never seen a pro wrestling show/match in their lives. The King had all of his personality stripped from him a few years back and it's become rather pathetic as he's a shadow of what he once was. The OD of Michael Cole doesn't help things either, and the three man booth is definitely a bit cluttered.

A quick fix would be to actually let them commentate on the match instead of rambling on about the same shit each and every week, seeing who can get the most wwe catchphrases in. It's like they've all had their passion for wrestling sucked out of them and their just going through the motion; but like I said, I don't really blame them, this one falls more on whoever is writing their scripts/whispering in the ears. If they where able to go out and actually call a match and get into it that would be one thing, but it's not and it hasn't been like that for a while.

I think they should move Cole from the table and either put him on Smackdown or convert him to a manager. Now that JR is back let him be the lead guy with King. JR adds the icing to the cake. He completes a wrestling match with his commentary.

Very, very bland and boring. Sometimes, I tune to the SAP button to listen to the Spanish commentary.

As Stone Cold would say it, "OH, HELL YEAHHH!!!!"

I have a feeling that WWE wants to go on this direction. Cole needs to get off commentary and have JR call the matches on RAW.

I didn't even pay much attention to it till the Ziggler/Vickie segment, and that was just painful. everyone talking over each other and tripping everyone else up it was hard to follow. other than that, though, I kinda ignored it for the most part. Are they great? Not in my opinion if I'm ignoring them, but they're not the worst.

I've really tried to give this team the benefit of the doubt, but I agree completely, it's just not working. I didn't even get the pig in a blanket joke they were all laughing over, it was dumb. The WWE really screwed the pooch when they turned Cole into a heel announcer. I'm not sure if Jerry Lawler got tired of that role and asked for a switch, but Cole is a geek, nerd, they make the best face announcers. JR just seems lost, and that really hurts me to say that, JR is my favorite announcer in all of sports, but he just seems confused on what to say, last night I thought to myself even JR knew this was a disaster, the moments of silence were awkward. Michael Cole should go back to doing interviews and leave it to JR and King. It would be hard to turn King heel again though..It's just a mess to say the least.

I mentioned in another thread and I'll mention again that I think it would behoove WWE to move Cole into a manager role. He's one of the most hated people at every show and it could be used to get some heels over, similar to Vickie. I just don't see how he could go back to being a regular face announcer at this point. People have hated him for years for being the guy to replace JR, and after his heel run it's now worse than ever. He rarely actually calls the match and it just takes away from the whole broadcast. So it seems like a move to manager would be a pretty good idea to at least try out for awhile.

There's also, in my opinion, no need for him at the commentary booth. Like I said and I think most would agree, his lack of calling the action takes away from the broadcast. When he first became lead man of Raw, there were really no other options. At this point I think there are. Obviously JR appears to be back full time, so why not let he and King get back to the 2-man announce team. When he first returned, JR seemed to be struggling but he's getting over the rust now and is becoming more himself. Aside from that, if you ever listen to Superstars both Josh Matthews and Scott Stanford would be more than capable of being the only play-by-play man on Smackdown.

At this point, WWE is changing so many things up, why not try this for a few weeks. If it doesn't work you could easily go back to this...but if it does, you just made the product better again.

I think Cole should be exclusive to Smackdown. I like his banter with Booker, and Good Ol' JM does a good job of keeping them on point when they stray away from the action.

As for Raw King and JR are legendary, but VKM likes the three man broadcast team. I recommend moving Cole to Smackdown and replacing him with Matt Striker. Keep Striker on a short leash. Make sure he knows he's not the color announcer, but he's there to add facts. He's good at putting over weak looking moves, and he knows history, he can be a good addition to the two if he isn't over used.

My Opinion Of The Commentary Team
TERRIBLE.It's hard to listen to and it aint just Cole,its Lawler aswell.Whenever Vickie is on RAW he makes these fat jokes and stuff when he is bigger than her!Anyway it is boring to listen to because its the same thing every week and u always expect the same thing.

Would it better without Cole?
Well with Cole's character at the moment it would be better with out him,he makes stupid jokes about JR all the time and just dosen't stop going on about the miz.I hate when he just starts screaming at the camera when it's on him its horrible,but Cole is a GOOD comentater but only if they get rid of his current character.Before he turned a heel comentater he was a decent comentater and knew what he was talking about but now its disgraceful.

yes it is because it was reported that they like the 3 men announce table.

IMO it all Cole. His character is getting old. He is the only 1 who goes overboard on showing his emotions for superstars he likes. I have noticed that he has left the divas alone. Not hating on them like he was about a month or so ago. On another note. BOOKER is Wild. It seems like he trys just a little to hard. But yea Cole should be taken off or like some one said turn him into a manager.

Let's face it: Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler have been THE announcing team in WWF/E over the last 20 years, maybe one of the greatest teams of all time.

Here's the problem: Jerry Lawler is over 60 and, in the eyes of some fans, his schtick is growing tiresome. Jim Ross isn't much younger and has a history of health issues, mainly Bells Palsy. As much as fans love them, JR & The King won't be around forever and WWE is trying to prepare for the eventual day where neither of them will be there.

My Opinion Of The Commentary Team
Distracting. I was too busy listening to Cole and Lawler making jokes of Vickie's weight to really get into the match because they couldn't keep quiet for a second. I also think Cole and Lawler dominate too much of the commentary and need to let JR speak more. Lawler is still using the same jokes he used over 10 years ago and the way he goes crazy over Kelly Kelly is annoying.

Would it better without Cole?

Yes. Especially if he's not on Smackdown. The way he goes on and on about how inspiring Cody Rhodes is has gotten old. Plus the way he keeps taking jabs at Booker T and Booker just takes it. Why hasn't Booker kicked Cole's ass yet? Why is Booker T laughing when Cole mocks him? Give Cole some time off, stop overproducing Booker's commentary so much and let him act more like himself. Josh Matthews and either Booker T or Matt Striker would be fine for Smackdown.

If they want more and more people to watch without sound.

I mentioned in another thread and I'll mention again that I think it would behoove WWE to move Cole into a manager role. He's one of the most hated people at every show and it could be used to get some heels over, similar to Vickie. I just don't see how he could go back to being a regular face announcer at this point. People have hated him for years for being the guy to replace JR, and after his heel run it's now worse than ever. He rarely actually calls the match and it just takes away from the whole broadcast. So it seems like a move to manager would be a pretty good idea to at least try out for awhile.

There's also, in my opinion, no need for him at the commentary booth. Like I said and I think most would agree, his lack of calling the action takes away from the broadcast. When he first became lead man of Raw, there were really no other options. At this point I think there are. Obviously JR appears to be back full time, so why not let he and King get back to the 2-man announce team. When he first returned, JR seemed to be struggling but he's getting over the rust now and is becoming more himself. Aside from that, if you ever listen to Superstars both Josh Matthews and Scott Stanford would be more than capable of being the only play-by-play man on Smackdown.

At this point, WWE is changing so many things up, why not try this for a few weeks. If it doesn't work you could easily go back to this...but if it does, you just made the product better again.

That is a great idea!! I could see him managing the miz, almost in Jimmy Hart fashion. The WWE needs more great managers. Maybe they could work him into managing Dolph Ziggler, start an angle between Cole and Vicky. Great idea though.

I honestly don't care if they make Cole a vendor in the concession stand, just get him off of Commentary. He's annoying and it makes me change the channel alot. He constantly interrupts his colleagues who have been around a lot longer and have done way for the company than he has. His faint attempt at being a heel announcer comes off as fake and rehearsed. I would call him a poor man's Bobby Heenan, but that would be a total disrespect to Bobby Heenan.

Terrible. I almost want to mute my television. I don't mean to be over-dramatic but I simply can't stand it. First of all, there are too many people at the table. If you have simply one person calling the match, then it would be stale. If you have two people calling the match, then you have someone to bounce your opinions off of. J.R brings vast knowledge and Jerry Lawler brings a sort of light comedic relief, but also has knowledge, when he chooses to use it that is. 3's a crowd is how the old saying goes, too many conflicting opinions and chaos. But you have to understand, Cole and King are coming off from a feud, they still have to hate each other. J.R had some involvement in it, but he's really an outsider. Cole and King let their feud get in the way, I can't remember the last time a match was properly called.

Jerry or Cole, I don't care. Just get rid of one one. They both have their downsides. Cole is so fixated on getting (cheap) heat that he ends up contradicting himself and sounding just plain stupid. Oh and don't even get me started on Jerry Lawler and Divas matches.

I suppose. Hopefully in a few months the embers from the Jerry/Cole feud will cool down and they can just call a match without trying to insult each other.

If there's anything that kills it for me, more than anything, it's King turning into a 60 year old perv whenever Kelly Kelly appears. It's bad enough that a lot of people see her as a glorified model without King finding whatever metaphor he can to describe how hot he thinks she is, rather than calling her matches as if she's even attempting to wrestle.

If there's anything that kills it for me, more than anything, it's King turning into a 60 year old perv whenever Kelly Kelly appears. It's bad enough that a lot of people see her as a glorified model without King finding whatever metaphor he can to describe how hot he thinks she is, rather than calling her matches as if she's even attempting to wrestle.

Lawler has alllways done this, seen the beginning of the attitude era with him cheering for Debra's 'PUPPIESSSSSSSSS!'. Thats just part of the Jerry Lawler character, to make pervy comments about the diva's, and a sad part of life is everyone gets older so whereas he was a 50yr old perv before, now hes a 60yr old, and the fit divas are still in their 20's because they're constantly being replaced.

Besides, it seems to be the only way commentators know how to call Womens wrestling at the top level now anyway, see Taz in TNA, hes doing exactly the same thing about Miss Tessmacher and Velvet Sky.

To be honest, I dont blame either of them, have you seen those girls!? :icon_razz::icon_razz:

The thing about Cole is he can actually call a match and bring a commentary back on topic, but a 3 man team just doesnt work.

I think you should either have it as Lawler and JR and then move Cole to Smackdown with Booker T or Josh Matthews.

Or better yet, have Cole and Lawler start RAW, and remove Cole for the main event and replace him with JR!

They need to focus on the action! Translation: be boring again.

That's what it sounds like to me. Do I like Michael Cole? Of course not, I never have. I think he's a talentless hack who has no place calling a wrestling match. He doesn't seem to give a shit about wrestling or what they're doing in there, and that's not new.

However, the banter works. Remember, these guys are also a big part of the entire entertainment package. Remember Gorilla and The Brain (sadly, most of you don't)? Going into business for yourself, from time to time throughout a broadcast, is fine. In fact, I like it. I like when they argue about shit that has nothing to do with what's happening in the ring. Why? It's entertaining.

I suppose some of you would rather have Josh Matthews and Matt Striker put us to sleep all over again? I'll pass. In a fake sport, I'll take entertainment value over "credibility" any day of the week.

Cole/King/Ross bitching at one another = entertainment.

Booker losing his mind every ten seconds = entertainment.

Josh Matthews and Matt Striker = walking, talking sleeping pills.

What are your opinions of the commentary team?They could do better with JR back.Would it be better without Michael Cole?Yes but with Cole on smackdown it can be better if he stayed there.Is this the direction the WWE wants the commentary to go?It all depends why they brought back JR.

The commentary's really starting to get outta control, especially with Cole's antics. When Cole became a Miz fanboy and badmouthing DB on NXT it was a new side of Cole but it was ok since they tied that into an angle. When Cole was constantly berating JR and King earlier this year, it was a little much but I accepted it since they had a legit feud (No matter how much I hated watching it) But now I think him and the rest of the commentary need to tone down the banter a little bit.I understand Cole's more of a "heel" commentator now but its not acceptable when the match and the talent in the ring suffer for it. In recent memory, King, Heyman, JBL, hell even Coach were able to be heel's while calling the match without taking anything away from it.

2 examples of Cole's antics this week were Riley vs Swagger and DB vs ADR. On Raw, I understand the table was a little crowded with Vickie and Ziggler but Cole was instigating the banter half the time making wise cracks at JR or Vickie/Ziggler about some other bs to the point where you can honestly forget there's a match going on. Even Vickie grabbing J.R's hat seemed almost random cuz there was no room on commentary to build up to that moment.

Then on Smackdown its more of Cole badmouthing DB which is normal, but then he continues to talk about Josh and Booker. That match DB and ADR put on seemed to be a classic and its the commentaries job to make it seem even greater than that. But that wasn't the case at all when you can barely pay attention to it cuz all you hear is Cole yelling out what girls wrote in DB's yearbook or Josh seeing Cowboys vs Aliens at a drive in. It's not till the end that they say "what a match between Bryan and Del Rio" but your left feeling like you missed all the action cuz of the excessive yelling from Cole especially.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think Cole should just leave commentary and theres been plenty of times where he puts over talent heel or face. But it's seems like he only spends half of the time doing that during matches and the other half he spends putting himself over as a heel when he's not even in any storylines right now. GDYC!! (God Damn You Cole)

The problem is the fact that Lawler doesn't care anymore and Cole never stops being annoying. JR can stay. I would prefer if Striker was on the team in Lawler's place. NXT will not be around forever and he was a great announcer. I can understand if Cole needs to stay on but if they replaced Lawler with Striker then things would improve because the match would be called and little trivial facts would get thrown in. He had a good announcing style, far better than Lawler (currently, not oldschool Lawler). His style is one that would work really well alongside JR. Cole I just ignore.

The commentary team is absolutley horrible. They hardly call moves for matches and they don't even know the names of the moves. All they say is "Oooh! That's a big move!"

The commentary team would be much better without Cole. Cole should just go back to being a general commetator.

This is probably the direction WWE wants to go since they still let these commentators fool around and go off topic during matches, especially mid card matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back