• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rating your favorite and least favorite musicians.

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
Alright so here is my idea for this thread, I kind of based it off of my discussion in the Top 5 Overrated Bands/Musicians thread, but in the course of that discussion, I came up with the idea to give a Madden like rating to Lil Wayne. Upon further retrospect on that idea, I think this would be a fun little thread to run with, and at least see how it goes over.

The object of this is to put the name of a musician down, doesn't have to be a favorite or a least favorite, but put the name down, followed by what you would rate them from 1-100, take into consideration you're rating them like you would a player on Madden, so if you rate a band or artist in the 60, you think they're either shit, or rookies who may develop into a solid artist, low 70's either a vet that hasn't done anything of note, or a draft pick that could develop into a top quality player, and so on and so forth. And of course give reasons why you gave said artist that rating, and whether or not you see them improving or becoming shit. Multiple artists can be done at a time, I don't care really, this was just an idea I wanted to further elaborate on and see what kind of responses we get, and it may develop into some interesting conversation.

So without further ado, I will begin by rating each member individually of my favorite rap group, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, and then collectively as a group.

Layzie Bone- 84. Layzie is decent, but his rating really drops because of his lack of lyrical ability. He has the tendency to use the same lyrics over and over again for different songs, which really gets annoying. However, with the proper beat he can spit on the mic pretty well. As a solo artist, he started off with two solid albums, but since then he's been releasing shit. His best work is when he's with the group.

Bizzy Bone- 88 when he's not all fucked up, 74 when he is. When Bizzy is clear headed and not trying to do some fucked up shit with his music, he's incredible on the mic and his lyrics are very underrated. His voice is unique and when he flows with that incredible speed he possesses, he is amazing. However, when he is all fucked up and trying different shit out, he sounds like shit and the music suffers. Especially when he goes into his slow, sappy singy type music, then he's horrible. If he stuck with what made him, he'd be churning out solid albums left and right.

Wish Bone- 76. Wish has never been known to be that great of a rapper, but in some songs he can actually can spit some excellent rhymes. I think it's just he's surrounded by the other members that are far better than him, so he looks weaker by comparison. He hasn't released any solo albums, but from the sound of it, he is working on one. My rating for him may change if his solo album really comes through for him.

Krayzie Bone- 98. Krayzie to me is one of the best rappers in the game today. Just everything about his mic skills is top of the line, and it's no wonder why a lot of artists are coming at him to be featured on their songs now. He's got the speed, lyrical abilities, he can make raw sounding tracks, he can make laid back mellow tracks, he can do it all really. To top it all off, you wouldn't expect that raw, thuggish, I'm going to fuck you up sound from him when you hear him talk in interviews. He's so soft spoken when he's not rapping, and actually a very humble person. It's obvious that he likes connecting with his fans and listening to what their opinions are and what they would like to hear, just based on his time he spends on the BTNH fan forums. Personally I just don't think there are many rapppers out there, alive or dead, that could hold a candle to Krayzie's raw abilities. I think Tech N9ne can, Krayzie has been compared to 2pac so many times over, Biggie is another one. In short, Krayzie is that kind of rapper that will not be known as huge as 2pac or Biggie, but when it comes down to it, he will be considered a legend of hip hop when it's all said and done.

Flesh-n-Bone- 86. Flesh is the mostly unknown 5th member of the group, Layzie's older brother. But it's been said that Flesh is the fastest member of the group, and I tend to agree. Flesh has a very distinctive rapping style, as in it sounds like he is rapping in a softer tone of voice. He has the speed rap abilities down to the T, lyrically, not the greatest but he's better than Layzie overall, and easily comparable to Bizzy Bone. Just as a note here, the H-town rapper Trae has been compared to Flesh in the past, as in Trae sounds like a deeper voiced Flesh.

Bone Thugs-n-Harmony- 96. Collectively as a group is where they shine though. In the 90's is where their harmonizing and raw gangsta flows really brought a new sound to the hip hop game, and I think they took the G Funk sound and turned it into their own unique blend. Now of course not all their albums are top notch, they have some weaker ones, but generally you can find songs on any album that you will truly enjoy. They all tend to work off each other very well, and their respective distinct sounds mesh together the best when all 5 are together. They are legends in their own right already in the Midwest, and I can attest to this, almost everybody in the Midwest knows who Bone is, and have a favorite song of theirs.

Alright so here is my idea for this thread, I kind of based it off of my discussion in the Top 5 Overrated Bands/Musicians thread, but in the course of that discussion, I came up with the idea to give a Madden like rating to Lil Wayne. Upon further retrospect on that idea, I think this would be a fun little thread to run with, and at least see how it goes over.

The object of this is to put the name of a musician down, doesn't have to be a favorite or a least favorite, but put the name down, followed by what you would rate them from 1-100, take into consideration you're rating them like you would a player on Madden, so if you rate a band or artist in the 60, you think they're either shit, or rookies who may develop into a solid artist, low 70's either a vet that hasn't done anything of note, or a draft pick that could develop into a top quality player, and so on and so forth. And of course give reasons why you gave said artist that rating, and whether or not you see them improving or becoming shit. Multiple artists can be done at a time, I don't care really, this was just an idea I wanted to further elaborate on and see what kind of responses we get, and it may develop into some interesting conversation.

So without further ado, I will begin by rating each member individually of my favorite rap group, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, and then collectively as a group.

Layzie Bone- 84. Layzie is decent, but his rating really drops because of his lack of lyrical ability. He has the tendency to use the same lyrics over and over again for different songs, which really gets annoying. However, with the proper beat he can spit on the mic pretty well. As a solo artist, he started off with two solid albums, but since then he's been releasing shit. His best work is when he's with the group.

Bizzy Bone- 88 when he's not all fucked up, 74 when he is. When Bizzy is clear headed and not trying to do some fucked up shit with his music, he's incredible on the mic and his lyrics are very underrated. His voice is unique and when he flows with that incredible speed he possesses, he is amazing. However, when he is all fucked up and trying different shit out, he sounds like shit and the music suffers. Especially when he goes into his slow, sappy singy type music, then he's horrible. If he stuck with what made him, he'd be churning out solid albums left and right.

Wish Bone- 76. Wish has never been known to be that great of a rapper, but in some songs he can actually can spit some excellent rhymes. I think it's just he's surrounded by the other members that are far better than him, so he looks weaker by comparison. He hasn't released any solo albums, but from the sound of it, he is working on one. My rating for him may change if his solo album really comes through for him.

Krayzie Bone- 98. Krayzie to me is one of the best rappers in the game today. Just everything about his mic skills is top of the line, and it's no wonder why a lot of artists are coming at him to be featured on their songs now. He's got the speed, lyrical abilities, he can make raw sounding tracks, he can make laid back mellow tracks, he can do it all really. To top it all off, you wouldn't expect that raw, thuggish, I'm going to fuck you up sound from him when you hear him talk in interviews. He's so soft spoken when he's not rapping, and actually a very humble person. It's obvious that he likes connecting with his fans and listening to what their opinions are and what they would like to hear, just based on his time he spends on the BTNH fan forums. Personally I just don't think there are many rapppers out there, alive or dead, that could hold a candle to Krayzie's raw abilities. I think Tech N9ne can, Krayzie has been compared to 2pac so many times over, Biggie is another one. In short, Krayzie is that kind of rapper that will not be known as huge as 2pac or Biggie, but when it comes down to it, he will be considered a legend of hip hop when it's all said and done.

Flesh-n-Bone- 86. Flesh is the mostly unknown 5th member of the group, Layzie's older brother. But it's been said that Flesh is the fastest member of the group, and I tend to agree. Flesh has a very distinctive rapping style, as in it sounds like he is rapping in a softer tone of voice. He has the speed rap abilities down to the T, lyrically, not the greatest but he's better than Layzie overall, and easily comparable to Bizzy Bone. Just as a note here, the H-town rapper Trae has been compared to Flesh in the past, as in Trae sounds like a deeper voiced Flesh.

Bone Thugs-n-Harmony- 96. Collectively as a group is where they shine though. In the 90's is where their harmonizing and raw gangsta flows really brought a new sound to the hip hop game, and I think they took the G Funk sound and turned it into their own unique blend. Now of course not all their albums are top notch, they have some weaker ones, but generally you can find songs on any album that you will truly enjoy. They all tend to work off each other very well, and their respective distinct sounds mesh together the best when all 5 are together. They are legends in their own right already in the Midwest, and I can attest to this, almost everybody in the Midwest knows who Bone is, and have a favorite song of theirs.

Nice topic as it is a little based off of my overrated musicians/bands thread. Here's the artists that i'm rating.

Lil Wayne- 72. I think all of Wayne's material off of Tha Carter, Tha Carter II, The Dedication mixtapes & Da Drought mixtapes are great & only some of his material off of Tha Carter III was good, but the reason why I rated him so low is cause all he is really doing now is making piss poor club music as he sounds like he mumbles through those songs instead of just spittin out fire like he did on Fireman. I think that Wayne can be really good if he just stops mumbling through songs & stop making club songs & just go back to what got him praise in the first place.

Outkast- 84. I love Outkast as a group as I have everyone of their albums. I think that they have evolved from their debut album Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik all the way up to Idlewild. Their style has changed so much from then as their debut album didn't truly include the Ms. Jackson type songs, but change is good as Andre 3000 is the more R&B/Rap type of guy while Big Boi is the more rap artist out of the two. The two different styles mesh so well together & that's what makes them one of the top hip-hop groups of all time.

Ice Cube- 95. I rate Ice Cube very high as all of his albums are classics. His first few albums were about the issues that african americans were experiencing in LA & then changes his style up to the G-Funk style that his former N.W.A. bandmate Dr Dre perfected. What makes him great on this list is that he still can make great albums(check out his 2 recent albums in Laugh Now, Cry Later & RAW Footage) after long layoffs of music to solely concentrate on his acting career.

I just realized that Ty Burna and Big Pimpin are two of the best things to hit the music section in a while now. Bravo.

Freddie Mercury - 95. The greatest frontman in the history of Rock Music. His voice and the song writing of Queen created a ridiculous genre - Rock Opera. As a band, Queen stretched itself to the very limit by taking the genres that thousands of bands based an entire career on, doing one song in that genre, and moving on. Mercury was somehow able to adapt to each style without EVER losing his distinct sound.

Not to mention, Mercury is the greatest musical showman of all time, just edging out Mick Jagger and Alice Cooper. This man somehow would do shows in front of 150,000 fans and make them feel CONNECTED to him. He was a demi-god on stage, and left his entire soul in his wake.

He loses 5 points because he hasnt put out any new material since the late 90's. I know people like to play that whole "but he's dead" thing, but that didn't stop Biggie or Tupac.

Pearl Jam-90- I'm a huge supporter of the band, even going so far as to say "Best Grunge/Alternative" band of that particular movement. With Nine, soon to be ten CD's under their belt, they still show no signs of a breakup. The one big reason I deducted ten points was for "Riot Act" of all their records the worst on by far. It was sloppily put together, and generally sounded like Eddie wasn't into it. Outside of that, I'd give them a perfect score.

Toby Keith - 85

But Monkey, why werent you ore biased in giving your favorite artist a higher score. I'll tell you. Toby Keith started his career in his 20's, failing for a long time to finally make it onto radio, a week before he turned 30 he finally made radio with his first number one hit "Shouldve Been A Cowboy". Then for a long time he was floating around from label to label, never finding his niche. But yet still writing and putting out very high quality songs, except for the fact that the studio would rarely let him do what he wanted to do. So he finally got tired of it and signed to Dreamworks records. Where he was finally able to write and put out the real music he wanted to. Then after a few more years Toby kept on putting up the midde finger to Nashville, doing things the way he wanted to do them and saying FUCK YOU while he was at it. After a few years with Dreamworks, they decided to part ways with Toby as he was going to start his own record label called Showdog Records.

Now hes one of the biggest dogs in the yard, and all on his own merits. He wouldve had a 95 or higher if he hadnt gotten complacent the last few years with his music. Dont get me wrong, I still think its good music and still love his songs as much as ever, but hes gotten a bit stale, its time for him to shake it up. He still put on one helluva live show though. The modern day Merle Haggard get an 85 as of right now, hopefully he can bump it back up though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back