• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Randy Orton to have second surgery on his neck. Going to be out longer.

Navi

With the safety off!!
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that Randy Orton, who is recovering from shoulder surgery, is going to have to undergo neck surgery as well.

They will be removing bone chips from his neck, which isn't considered serious. This procedure won't take place until after he heals from the surgery on his shoulder. So it looks like Orton will be out longer than expected. There is no time frame right now for his return.

Good God there is nothing but bad news these days coming out of the WWE.

I really hate to say it but I think his career might be over.

A shoulder that can dislocate as easily as we are told his did (taking out the garbage) never fully gets back to 100% and can easily dislocate at any time, especially in this business.

Now a neck surgery... not good...

How are loose bone chips in your neck not considered serious ? * Rattle * * Rattle * What was that ? Oh nothing, just loose bone chips in my neck....I wouldn't worry about it...RKO outta nowhere by the way.

This is both good and bad news. Guys like Orton are overexposed, so being off for an extended period of time. If I remember correctly he hasn't had an extended break, since before he got the skull tattoo sleeves. I remember when he came back he became the best heel in the industy, I hope he gets everything worked out and comes back better than ever.

This is both good and bad news. Guys like Orton are overexposed, so being off for an extended period of time. If I remember correctly he hasn't had an extended break, since before he got the skull tattoo sleeves. I remember when he came back he became the best heel in the industy, I hope he gets everything worked out and comes back better than ever.

Yes, but how long is "too extended?"

He was supposed to miss a few months from the shoulder surgery and they aren't doing the neck surgery until he's fully recovered from the shoulder surgery.

They say 3-6 months recovery from the neck surgery IF it's only bone spurs and no fusion is necessary.

So you're talking potentially nearly a year out of action when all is said and done.

Yes, but how long is "too extended?"

He was supposed to miss a few months from the shoulder surgery and they aren't doing the neck surgery until he's fully recovered from the shoulder surgery.

They say 3-6 months recovery from the neck surgery IF it's only bone spurs and no fusion is necessary.

So you're talking potentially nearly a year out of action when all is said and done.

Which I would argue is good for both WWE and Orton in the long-run. Orton has been around so long that we don't even come close to appreciating him the way he deserves to be these days, and that's understandable. He's been around for 13 years now and has been at the top of the card for about 10 of them, but even with his limitations he's one of the best all-around guys on the roster, maybe THE best.

Orton hadn't been doing much of anything even before his injury, so hopefully this allows him to heal up and later down the line, return in an impactful fashion. You have two guys who the fans are going to go ballistic for upon their returns, Seth Rollins and Randy Orton. Two opportunities for WWE to do something big with them down the line. Plus, Orton's absence opens up some TV time for the newer guys which is also a good thing.

Which I would argue is good for both WWE and Orton in the long-run. Orton has been around so long that we don't even come close to appreciating him the way he deserves to be these days, and that's understandable. He's been around for 13 years now and has been at the top of the card for about 10 of them, but even with his limitations he's one of the best all-around guys on the roster, maybe THE best.

Orton hadn't been doing much of anything even before his injury, so hopefully this allows him to heal up and later down the line, return in an impactful fashion. You have two guys who the fans are going to go ballistic for upon their returns, Seth Rollins and Randy Orton. Two opportunities for WWE to do something big with them down the line. Plus, Orton's absence opens up some TV time for the newer guys which is also a good thing.

While I understand what you're saying, I still caution here that both injuries are dangerous enough to be career-enders, especially the shoulder.

Also, what good is more TV time for the newer guys if it continues to be as horrendous as it has been the last few months? There's not a lot of talent among newcomers and the little talent that is there isn't booked well enough to matter.

If Randy never wrestles full-time again, it'll be good for him and us.

He's practically done it all and at this point, him being out for a year is actually GREAT NEWS.

I've been a huge Randy Orton fan but after 2013, it was like he had already turned heel/face multiple times and the magic of his best heel run from 2008/2009 couldn't just be recreated upon whim.

Randy Orton is one of the few guys who could be a part-timer like Brock and still garner a huge reaction/ratings in the future in high-profile matches. While some of you may not like him or have ever liked him, it's no denying Randy Orton was always 2 steps ahead of Batista and John Cena in terms of in-ring prowess, athleticism, personality, basically just about everything except that he arguably never was considered or put to be the King of the Mountain company man like John Cena for whatever reasons.

Hopefully, 12-15 months later, Randy will be what Brock Lesnar was upon his return in 2012. Instant impact maineventer instead of a guy who's just there.

While I understand what you're saying, I still caution here that both injuries are dangerous enough to be career-enders, especially the shoulder.

I don't really agree here. Rollins injury, while very serious, is not in itself a career ending injury. While it most certainly will lead to further knee problems down the line for him, which may ultimately shorten his career, a busted knee can be rehabbed. I know a few guys who have blown their knees out the exact same way a few times, and have gone back to play lacrosse a year later.

I actually happen to suffer from the same affliction as Orton, (shoulder wise), except I've put off surgery for years now. As long as he gets that surgery, his rotator cuff should be fine in the future. Bone chips in the neck are serious, but again, not career ending. As long as both guys' spines are OK, they should be fine to come back.

Also, what good is more TV time for the newer guys if it continues to be as horrendous as it has been the last few months? There's not a lot of talent among newcomers and the little talent that is there isn't booked well enough to matter.

Yeah, I know and I agree. I guess I just keep hoping in my pea-brain that WWE will actually decide to run with some new guys. But I'm always proven wrong.

I don't really agree here. Rollins injury, while very serious, is not in itself a career ending injury. While it most certainly will lead to further knee problems down the line for him, which may ultimately shorten his career, a busted knee can be rehabbed. I know a few guys who have blown their knees out the exact same way a few times, and have gone back to play lacrosse a year later.

I actually happen to suffer from the same affliction as Orton, (shoulder wise), except I've put off surgery for years now. As long as he gets that surgery, his rotator cuff should be fine in the future. Bone chips in the neck are serious, but again, not career ending. As long as both guys' spines are OK, they should be fine to come back.

Yeah, I know and I agree. I guess I just keep hoping in my pea-brain that WWE will actually decide to run with some new guys. But I'm always proven wrong.

When they say "both injuries", I believe they are referring to both or Orton's injuries, to the shoulder and neck.

While I think 2 injuries arenot good for anyone... be it Randy Orton or any other.... I do also think that it can be good long break of 12-15 months especially after his marriage and it would be good for us and him and WWE too and he can return as main eventer to put over new guys...

Well, at least he gets spend more time with his family, which he'll obviously be happy about. But I'm sure it's never easy to be away from the business you love, especially for someone like Randy, who's been part of the wrestling world since he was a kid.

From an audience standpoint, it's a mixed bag. I'm still a big fan of Orton, and I miss his consistency. But I don't want him to screw up his health by rushing back and have another case like Daniel Bryan. Like others have said, he's done everything there is to do in WWE, so maybe it's best if he just has a part-time schedule. Wrestle for the big PPVs, and put over the younger guys, who desperately need that kind of help right now.

Just so you know, I wasn't talking about Rollins' injury. Torn ACL's are very capable of healing 100% and coming back from.

The Orton injury that could be serious is the shoulder. Because once it falls out of that socket it's easier to do it again and again. And in wrestling, doing all the moves they do, that thing can dislocate itself plenty.

As for the neck, I don't think bone chips would be that bad but they apparently haven't ruled out a fusion. If he needs a neck fusion, that would be real bad.

I never understood why injured wrestlers are written off TV completely?

Don't get me wrong, guys like Orton and Rollins need to heal a bit before they make an appearance, but I never understood not bringing them on to do a promo.. or to be an announcer. SOMETHING just to keep them visible?

Don't get me wrong, guys like Orton and Rollins need to heal a bit before they make an appearance, but I never understood not bringing them on to do a promo.. or to be an announcer. SOMETHING just to keep them visible?

Do you really need to hear them talk that badly?

What, exactly, would they be cutting a promo for if they can't be in a feud? If the person they are calling out were to come out and confront, there could be no physical contact anyways due to the injury.

In Orton's case who knows who he'd feud with upon returning.

In Rollins' case, we can assume he'd go right back into the title picture.... but who knows who would be the champ whenever he returns. Even if WWE knows the plan that far out, they aren't going to hint to it.

It's not like we are going to forget about them are we? With injuries like the one that happened to Rollins, not only did he require surgery, but extensive rehab as well. Putting him on a plane, flying him to whatever city RAW is in, and having him come out to basically do nothing, could set him back. Orton is having neck surgery after his shoulder heals, so why possibly prolong that just to have him appear on RAW for a promo.

If I'm an injured wrestler biting at the bit to get back into the ring, I'm working on doing just that. I've always been of the mindset that just the stress and rigours of travelling, especially when you're injured can take a lot out of you.

Also do you remember the heat Roman Reigns took last year when he appeared on satellite after his hernia operation. No need for any of them to be there.

This is unfortunate. Orton is a great wrestler and main eventer, so him being out obviously hurts. There are some positives though.

- Like many wrestlers in WWE, he's overexposed. His injury will help him to remain fresh once he returns. (Besides, he wasn't doing much anyways)
- He'll get to spend time with his family.
- His return will be a big moment, something WWE desperately needs.

It's an unfortunate injury, but he'll eventually be back in the main event scene occasionally feuding for and possibly winning the WWE Championship.

Orton wasn't really doing much before his injury, we know he was cutting down his schedule so this r&r time might have actually come at a good time, he needs to comeback as a heel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back