• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Randy Moss

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
Randy Moss announced today that he wants to return to the NFL for the 2012 season. Moss retired after a disappointing 2010 season which saw him play for three different teams. Today is his 35th birthday so he is getting up there in age, but he seems excited to be making a comeback. He made this statement today from a live webcam, "I wanna play football. Your boy is going to come back here and play some football, so I'm really excited. I had some things I had to adjust in my life."

What are your thoughts on Moss's comeback?

What team do you think he will go to?

Who do you think would be a better signing for a team: Moss or TO?

Hell I love comebacks, and Randy Moss was a hell of a player when he had his attitude in the right place. I can see him making a comeback on at team that can really use him as a veteran wide out. But knowing Moss, he would either want to be on a team where he could help make a playoff team a winner. Or he would want to sign to a team where he is the number one guy, but at his age I don't see him playing over some of the younger guys out there like DeSean Jackson.

As a Bear fan, I would love to see him go to Chicago and make an impact as a great number two deep threat to Johnny Knox. He would make a great fit to a rotation between Knox, Moss, and Earl Bennett. But like I said before, I don't think his ego would allow him to play second fiddle to younger players like Knox and Bennett. So if not Chicago, the 49'ers could come a knocking on his doorstep. They need a presence to stretch out the field effectively to help their ground and pound game.

Between a toss up between T.O and Randy Moss, I would have to go with T.O. The last we saw from T.O, he had bursts of ability and showed that he was still in great shape to keep playing. The last we saw Randy Moss, he was playing like dirt and his mouth was keeping him off the roster of three different teams in one season. I would have to go with T.O simply because he seems more mentally prepared than Moss.

One possible destination for Moss that really intrigues me is New Orleans. There is a good possibility that the Saints lose Marques Colston to free agency and if that happens, Moss would be a perfect fit. There are New Orleans receivers open down field all the time because of how deadly their short and mid range passing game is. Moss would come in and right away be better then any down field receiving threat that the Saints currently have. I'd trust Randy Moss to make a big play on a deep ball a lot more then Devery Henderson (and that's not a knock on Henderson).

Moss wants a SB ring and the Saints are going to be one of the favorites to win it all next season. Plus with an elite, respected player like Drew Brees as his qb, I don't think we'd be seeing any attitude problems from Moss. I would see this going just as well as it did with Moss in New England.

Moss because unlike TO, Moss isn't coming off an ACL surgery. Remember TO held a workout to show teams he could still play and nobody from any team showed up. There's not a market for a player turning 39 this year coming off an ACL surgery. I don't even see teams beating down the doors for Moss's services - think he will warrant interest from a team or two once the season starts much like TO and the Bengals.

I would have to go with T.O simply because he seems more mentally prepared than Moss.

Wait, wait, wait, you just said T.O. is more mentally prepared than Randy Moss? Really? T.O. is on the verge of suicide. Seriously, the guy is clinically fucking depressed. He is on the verge of being bankrupt, and he hates himself and his life. He regularly says he's living in hell and has an attempted suicide under his belt. Not to mention he's coming off major surgery, who knows how he'll perform.

I feel Randy could still contribute to teams, but he really needs to get his ego in check. He's still the freak athlete he's always been and if he can find a system that works, he'll be just as dangerous as ever.

1. I think he just needed time away from the game and the year off helped him relax a bit. Lord knows he wasn't that interested once he was cut from the Patriots and it was quite clear at that. At his age he'll never be the #1 guy again, but he can be a decent #2 option to stretch the field for a year or two.

2. Sadly for him, due to how he's ended his time with all of his time, teams might stay away from him. At the end Minny was sick of him. Oakland was sick of him and let him go for a mid round pick. NE rejuvenated him for about 2 years but then they got sick of him whining and traded him. Minny realized their mistake quickly and let him go to the Titans, who barley used him at all. That's gonna be a red flag that teams gave up on him 5 times and he's not the same athletic talent he once was.

If a team was gonna take a flyer on him, it has to be a team that has serious playoff hopes. If he goes on a shit team he won't give a shit. A quick take on teams that have slight hopes and if they would or not:

NE - On a scale of 'definitely want him' to 'stay away from us', I'd say the Pats want is closer to the former with slight thought to it. It'd be nice for them to have a burner on the outside that Brady could throw it up to, but they have a handful of picks this year and have already tried that pony before.
NYJ - More likely then Pats, but again I don't like those chances. Burress will be gone, but Sanchez already has to deal with one prima-donna in Holmes. I don't think he needs a 35 year old #2 option bitching to get him the ball. Plus, if things go south like they did this year I'd expect Moss to take his ball and go home.
Mia - They need a QB first, and don't seem likely with Marshall and Bess being very good #1 and #2.
Baltimore - With Torrey Smith having a good rookie year as their guy stretching the field, no.
Pittsburgh - Definitely not.
Houston - This does interest me a bit. Houston has the D to win a title, and if their main guys can stay healthy (Schaub, Johnson, Foster) they have a formidable offense. With Jacoby Jones, though, they don't need another burner.
Tennessee - Not after their last rodeo with him.
Oakland - ^^
San Diego - Nope
Denver - Moss wouldn't get the ball enough from Tebow, although their type of offense would please him with deep strikes abound.
Philly, NYG, Dallas, GB, Detroit - No
Chicago - The first real matchup that seems reasonable on both sides. If Cutler stays healthy the Bears probably make the playoffs and are just one season removed from making the Championship game. Earl Bennett and Johnny Knox are good receivers, but one could move in the slot and have Moss move to the outside.
New Orleans - If Colston leaves it seems more likely, but the Saints offense runs like the Patriots and Moss might not get as many attempts as he likes because Brees spreads the ball out well. Not high chances.
Atlanta - No
SF - While he would improve their receiving core, how much can you really believe in Alex Smith feeding him the ball. If Moss will sacrifice a few attempts in hopes to earn a title this would be his ideal situation, although I don't think the feeling would be mutual.
ARZ - If Manning signs over and they want to pair Moss with Fitzgerald I could see it happening. With John Skelton/Kevin Kolb, no way.
Seattle - Again, get a better QB then talk to me.

So out of all the possible contenders, Chicago looks like the best spot for him to get the most work and have a shot at the title. SF is the best shot for a title, but they probably aren't interested. ARZ if they get Manning (which I doubt, but who knows) would be another attractive place. If anyone, I'd say Chicago right now.

3. Moss simply because of his health. Owens is coming off an injury and probably has played his last snap on an NFL field. If both were healthy I'd say Owens because while he may get in his QBs ear a bit you won't ever see him quit on the field. Situation gets bad for Moss, don't expect him to bring a full effort, which is a shame because when he's focused he was the best receiver in the game. I'd stay away from both, but put a bullet to my head and they're both healthy, give me TO.

I think Moss returning to the NFL could work out very well for him. His last season he played was pretty shitty by Moss' high standard of play but he's 35, he is getting up there in years sure but he still has some years left in him if he wants to play.

Moss could go to a lot of teams considering who he is. He will probably go to a good team that needs help in the receiving department. I think San Fransisco would be the perfect place for Moss to go at the present time. He may not get tons of throws at him at first but if he makes some catches they will be throwing to Moss as much as he wants them to.

I would go with Moss. I always thought Moss was the better receiver of the 2 and because he had a year off to relax there is a good chance he will be at near top form. T.O. has steadily declined over the years, I don't remember the last time that guy was relevant.

It's being reported that Randy Moss had a great workout in New Orleans and he also has a couple more scheduled for next week (rumored to be Philly and NYJ). Like I said earlier in the thread, I think the Saints would be a great landing spot. They could lose both Marques Colston and Robert Meachem to free agency and are likely to lose at least one. Even at 35 Moss gives Drew Brees the best deep threat he has ever had. The Saints would be smart to jump at the chance to get Moss.

As a Saints fan I can tell you that I would love to have Randy Moss on this team, but not at the expense of Marques Colston. So, what I'm hoping for is that Meachem goes, Colston resigns, and we get Randy Moss. That would be fucking EPIC in my eyes. However, if Colston is gone and we get Moss, while I'll still be pleased about it, it won't mean anywhere near as much as it will if Colston is still apart of this team when we get him.

That said, Moss' 40 times were really impressive. I think taking a year off really helped his legs and that he has at least one more productive year in him. And it only makes sense for him to go to a contender like New Orleans. And to be honest, I would love to see the Saints embrace a villain role, and signing someone like Moss will only help that.

I don't know how much stock to put into it, but Adam Schefter reported that he doesn't think Colston will be back. With the receiving class in free agency being a weak one this year, teams are expected to overpay for guys like Colston. I don't really know the Saints cap situation but the fact they haven't extended Drew Brees yet leads me to believe they need to cut some costs. Replacing Moss with Colston probably doesn't make the team better but it does add a different dynamic and saves them money. Of course having both could give them one of the better one, two combos in the league.

Well, if Brees would take the 18 million a year that was offered to him (according to reports), then the Saints would definitely be able to keep Colston while also get Moss (and also put the tag on Carl Nicks, the best Guard in the league). However, since Brees is pushing for Manning's contract, it makes everything blurry. Hopefully Brees eases up a bit (I think he will), and with the restructuring of Will Smith's contract (which freed up 5 mil), and also since we will look to restructure Jonathon Vilma's contract or just cut him all together, that'll give the Saints more money to work with.

So, even though sometimes a sense of panic comes over me whenever I think about this, I'm still pretty optimistic about the whole situation. And while Moss is better than nothing, I still think it won't mean that much to have him if we don't have Colston there to take pressure off of him. We will rely way too much on Moss if Colston isn't there. The Saints have a tremendous running back core, and a top 2 Tight End in the league, but without Colston the wide receiving core becomes mediocre to average even with Moss, and at his age injury is also a risk (Colston is also injury prone, which is a good thing for now since I don't think teams will pay much for a 29-year-old with bad knees).

Well, it looks like Randy Moss has found a home with The Niners.

This could be a good move, but a bad move. Niners fans probably want the Randy Moss of old; the one in Minnesota and the one part of The Pats 18-1 season. But I don't know. I think Moss' attitude and how he plays depends on what team he's playing for. Cause he was virtually non-existent when he returned to the Vikings and his little stint in Tennessee.

I think this could be a good move. I really don't know if they're going to have Moss be the guy he was in New England. But this could be what they need. The Niners, IMO, were a receiver away from playing in the Super Bowl and most likely beating The Patriots. That was their year, but I digress.

Thoughts on this?

Personally, I'm a little surprised to see the 49ers make significant moves of this nature after the successful season which they just completed. Signing Moss could be a great move, but it comes with an element of risk and uncertainty. Rumor has it they are also interested in signing Peyton Manning (one of a half dozen or more teams). It just seems to me to be a significant shake up to add Moss and Manning (if this were to happen) for a team which just had a very successful season. I would have expected guys like this to be pursued by teams who were rebuilding or looking for a quick fix, not teams who were already established and who had just enjoyed recent success.

The Manning to the Niners rumors don't hold much weight and signing Randy Moss was a great move for them. They didn't need to make any significant changes but they did need to fill a few holes and the biggest hole was a starting wide out opposite Crabtree. They tried Braylon Edwards last year but he couldn't stay healthy and now they are going with arguably the second best receiver of all time in Randy Moss. There's obviously some risk involved with Moss but it's a risk the Niners need to take if they want to win the Super Bowl. They had zero expectations last year but now they are going to be considered one of the favorites to win it all and other teams are going to take them more serious, which means a tougher season ahead.

Personally, I'm a little surprised to see the 49ers make significant moves of this nature after the successful season which they just completed. Signing Moss could be a great move, but it comes with an element of risk and uncertainty. Rumor has it they are also interested in signing Peyton Manning (one of a half dozen or more teams). It just seems to me to be a significant shake up to add Moss and Manning (if this were to happen) for a team which just had a very successful season. I would have expected guys like this to be pursued by teams who were rebuilding or looking for a quick fix, not teams who were already established and who had just enjoyed recent success.

The Manning to the Niners rumors don't hold much weight and signing Randy Moss was a great move for them. They didn't need to make any significant changes but they did need to fill a few holes and the biggest hole was a starting wide out opposite Crabtree. They tried Braylon Edwards last year but he couldn't stay healthy and now they are going with arguably the second best receiver of all time in Randy Moss. There's obviously some risk involved with Moss but it's a risk the Niners need to take if they want to win the Super Bowl. They had zero expectations last year but now they are going to be considered one of the favorites to win it all and other teams are going to take them more serious, which means a tougher season ahead.

I guess I see where The Niners are coming from. Vernon Davis was the only receiver that really put in some work in the playoffs and I guess The Niners feel like if they had an extra receiver who was exceptionally good, they would've gone on to the Super Bowl.

The way I see it, the Niners trust Alex Smith, their Defense is absolutely amazing, and this addition to the team just might be the thing to get them to the Super Bowl. I admire this move very much.

This will either be a great move or a shitty move. If they keep Randy Moss focused, in line, and happy, and maintain a winning atmosphere, everyone will be lauding the 49'ers for taking a chance on Moss, and other teams will be questioning why they didn't pull the trigger on one of the NFL's best receivers of all-time. If they start losing and Moss' antics begin to faze Alex Smith and the rest of the team, then this acquisition will be pointed out as a reason why if the 49'ers take a step backward this year. Then the 49'ers will be criticized for taking a leap with Moss, while the 31 other teams will be glad they didn't touch him. The story will be spun one way or the other. This is a bold move by the 49'ers- it could be great for them, or it could really hurt them. Bold move, we'll see if it's a smart move come next season.

I think it's a low risk high reward kind of move. The general consensus on Moss is that he can still play at a high level, he just chooses not to when he isn't properly motivated. Shit, he was considered done when he was in Oakland then he goes to New England and breaks Jerry Rices single season TD record.

If they can keep him happy, he will be a welcome addition to the team as he can certainly open things up for Crabtree. If it doesn't work out, the contract they gave him certainly makes him easy to dispose of. No harm no foul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back