• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hines Ward is now 8th all-time in receptions

LSN80

King Of The Ring
I thought this was significant enough to warrant a thread.

One of the lone bright spots in Pittsburgh's 35-7 loss to Baltimore was the 5 catch, 67 yard performance vs the Ravens. In doing so, Ward broke his tie with Randy Moss for 8th most catches in NFL history and now stands alone in that spot. He and Moss entered the league in the same season, and ended last year, Moss' apparent final, tied with Moss with 954 catches. He now has 959 catches and can begin to set his sights on #7, Isaac Bruce, who has 1,024 catches. Ward is certainly capable, even at 35 years of age, at amassing another 70 catch season, which would push him into a tie with Bruce.

Ward isn't generally mentioned within the upper-echelon or WR's in the NFl, let alone the all-time greats. Ward doesn't have great speed, explosiveness, or size when compared to the better receivers, just great hands and fantastic route-running. No matter what intangibles Ward possesses, I think his stats are close to or as good as many of the all-time greats. Is he a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame? I believe he'll get there eventually.

How significant is Ward jumping ahead of Randy Moss in all time-receptions?

Where do you believe Ward will end up on the all-time receptions list?

1. Jerry Rice+ 1,549
2. Marvin Harrison 1,102
3. Cris Carter 1,101
4. Tim Brown 1,094
5. Terrell Owens 1,078
6. Tony Gonzalez 1,069
7. Isaac Bruce 1,024
8. Hines Ward(34) 959
What is Hines Ward's legacy in terms of all-time great WR's? Is he a Hall of Famer?

He'll most likely end up around 2-4. At this rate I could definitely see him playing a couple years beyond this one which would mean he'd need to average around 50 catches a season to pass Harrison. From there it depends on how long Tony Gonzalez and TO play. Both have over a 100 catch lead on Ward and I could easily see both playing as long as Ward does (I realize TO is injured and unsigned right now). If both TO and Gonzalez retire after this year then I could see Ward finishing second but if I had to guess I'd say fourth. This of course is where I see him at the time of his retirement, who knows what the future holds beyond that.

What is Hines Ward's legacy in terms of all-time great WR's? Is he a Hall of Famer?

He'll be known as one of the best when it comes to consistency and longevity but in terms of the best ever he isn't even top 10. What he lacked in overall talent he made up for in hard work but it isn't enough for me to put him in the elite group of game changers at the position. Ward also doesn't have as good of stats in terms of yards and tds as he does with receptions. When he retires he'll be around number 10 all time in touchdowns and around the same in yards.

Those are definitely Hall of Fame numbers but it will take a while for him to ultimately be inducted. I see him having an Art Monk type of wait.

One of the lone bright spots in Pittsburgh's 35-7 loss to Baltimore was the 5 catch, 67 yard performance vs the Ravens.

Hey, I am sure Ravens fans loved the game. I hate both teams tho. :shrug:

Umm.. Let's see.. Does anyone remember the 8th greatest? I think this thread is great if you root for the Steelers, but for the rest of us it is a total "big deal" topic. imo

Prolly stay at the same spot. Maybe reach 7, but he won't come close to Tony Gonzales.. Esp if Big Ben keeps tossing it to the other team like he did today. :p

You said it yourself that he isn't usually named among the top WRs. He has a couple of SB rings, so that makes him a default it seems.

Umm.. Let's see.. Does anyone remember the 8th greatest? I think this thread is great if you root for the Steelers, but for the rest of us it is a total "big deal" topic. imo.

Applying this logic, noone would remember the 2nd greatest, or rank teams, players, and coaches of all-time. There's always significant debate over the top RB's, WR's, and QB's(amongst others) of the best of all-time. Then they do these fancy things called Countdowns that list the all-time greatest. So yes, 8th overall all-time, ahead of Randy Moss, is significant.

Prolly stay at the same spot. Maybe reach 7, but he won't come close to Tony Gonzales..

Ward has said he plans on playing another 3-4 years, as he's stayed in fantastic shape and has only lost a slight step. He's a possesion receiver who generally catches 5-6 balls a game. Ill go under at 50 catches a season in 3 years, which will put him between 2-4 depending on how long Gonzalez plays, and whether T.O. returns and how effective he is.

You said it yourself that he isn't usually named among the top WRs. He has a couple of SB rings, so that makes him a default it seems.

I did, and I listed the reasons why. He's not explosive, doesn't have great speed, and he doesn't have the God-given physical tools. At 35, I dont believe he is worth a mention with the top WR's at this point, but his career validates him as a Top 25 receiver of all time. I agree with BS, he'll likely get the Art Monk treatment, but he's a HOF.

Ward isn't generally mentioned within the upper-echelon or WR's in the NFl, let alone the all-time greats.
He's not mentioned for a reason. He isn't either upper-echelon in the NFL, or an all-time great NFL receiver.

No matter what intangibles Ward possesses, I think his stats are close to or as good as many of the all-time greats. Is he a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame? I believe he'll get there eventually.
Lets look at those stats, shall we?

It's not really all that surprising. Hines Ward is a possession receiver. Randy Moss was a playmaking, game-breaking receiver. Receptions is only one list. There are plenty others that define receivers, and he's not really elite in any of them.

Receiving Yards (Ward is 21st, and definitely not cracking the top 10)
Yards per Game (Ward is 61st with 57.9, the retired leader is Torry Holt with 77.4; Andre Johnson is at 79.7)
Yards per Reception (Ward isn't even on the list that goes past 250)
Receiving TDs (Ward is 19th with 83, and needs 7 TDs to get to 10th, and definitely won't crack the top 5)

I tried to look up individual years too, but pro-football-reference.com wasn't loading them for some reason. Although looking at his pro-football-reference.com page you will notice that he has never led the league in anything. ANYTHING (if a stat led the league, it would be bolded).

1. Jerry Rice+ 1,549
2. Tony Gonzalez
3. Hines Ward(34) ?
4. Terrell Owens ?
5. Marvin Harrison 1,102
6. Cris Carter 1,101
7. Tim Brown 1,094
8. Isaac Bruce 1,024

That's how I would see the list ending up. I would think Hines Ward will finish #3 or #4, depending on whether Terrell Owens plays again (he'll likely sign with someone at some point, and only needs 24 catches to pass Harrison). Tony Gonzalez will most definitely finish the season at #2 on the list (he needs 33 receptions to do it), and I don't think Hines will be able to catch him.

Hines Wards legacy will be that of an excellent, durable possession receiver (calling him a possession receiver isn't knocking him, possession receivers are extremely important to a teams success, they just aren't as important as game-breaking, big-play WRs). He has a very strong case for EVENTUAL enshrinement, but in no way, shape, or form is he a first ballot HOFer, or anywhere near the list of all-time great Wide Receivers. He is, however, atop the list of all-time great STEELER Receivers. His case is such that his team legacy is much larger then his league-wide legacy.

He's not mentioned for a reason. He isn't either upper-echelon in the NFL, or an all-time great NFL receiver.

Lets look at those stats, shall we?

It's not really all that surprising. Hines Ward is a possession receiver. Randy Moss was a playmaking, game-breaking receiver. Receptions is only one list. There are plenty others that define receivers, and he's not really elite in any of them.

Receiving Yards (Ward is 21st, and definitely not cracking the top 10)
Yards per Game (Ward is 61st with 57.9, the retired leader is Torry Holt with 77.4; Andre Johnson is at 79.7)
Yards per Reception (Ward isn't even on the list that goes past 250)
Receiving TDs (Ward is 19th with 83, and needs 7 TDs to get to 10th, and definitely won't crack the top 5)

I tried to look up individual years too, but pro-football-reference.com wasn't loading them for some reason. Although looking at his pro-football-reference.com page you will notice that he has never led the league in anything. ANYTHING (if a stat led the league, it would be bolded).

1. Jerry Rice+ 1,549
2. Tony Gonzalez
3. Hines Ward(34) ?
4. Terrell Owens ?
5. Marvin Harrison 1,102
6. Cris Carter 1,101
7. Tim Brown 1,094
8. Isaac Bruce 1,024

That's how I would see the list ending up. I would think Hines Ward will finish #3 or #4, depending on whether Terrell Owens plays again (he'll likely sign with someone at some point, and only needs 24 catches to pass Harrison). Tony Gonzalez will most definitely finish the season at #2 on the list (he needs 33 receptions to do it), and I don't think Hines will be able to catch him.

Hines Wards legacy will be that of an excellent, durable possession receiver (calling him a possession receiver isn't knocking him, possession receivers are extremely important to a teams success, they just aren't as important as game-breaking, big-play WRs). He has a very strong case for EVENTUAL enshrinement, but in no way, shape, or form is he a first ballot HOFer, or anywhere near the list of all-time great Wide Receivers. He is, however, atop the list of all-time great STEELER Receivers. His case is such that his team legacy is much larger then his league-wide legacy.

This sounds like the response of a Bonafide Baltimore Ravens Fan. Hines Ward in my opinion is a great possesion receiver, when you need a 3rd and 8 he is their to make a grab, but when you need a TD, you throw to one of the speedy guys.

Hines, while he has done an excellent job during his run with the steelers will never be remembered as an "All Time Great" but as a "Cheap shot artist" Hines even has a rule named after him even though unoffically. He has the intensity that you want in a player but is just downright dirty

I'm a diehard Steelers fan, so I should chime in:

For those saying Hines never led the league in anything, that's to be expected from a Steelers receiver. The Steelers under Bill Cowher were a predominantly running football team (aside from the brief Maddox era). The Steelers QBs before Ben came along? Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox...you get the picture.

I believe he's the toughest wide receiver to ever play the game, he's a tremendous possession receiver/security blanket for Ben, and he's a Super Bowl MVP.

He SHOULD get in, but receivers have a hell of a time getting in as is. I think he'll get in, but it's going to be awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back