• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Randy Moss Traded to Vikings

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

All I gotta say is Brandon Tate better learn how to catch, or we could be fucked, cause Randy was our only deep receiver. And on top of that, he's joining Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson. Something tells me these three kept in contact with eachother throughout the summer and planned this out to the alst detail...

I know Randy's going back to his old team, and I respect that, but Favre and/or Moss better retire after this year, or I will be PISSED.

Has this been confirmed, or is this just speculation or something that is allegedly in the works? Because if this is true, as a lifelong huge Patriots fan, I wlll be very disappointed. Jesus, they are 3-1 and while he didn't contribute in last night's game, it's a long season with a long road ahead of them, and Moss can definitely pay dividends over the course of the extended season.

I guess would be good for the Vikings, another target for Favre, but I still feel that Moss has a lot to contribute and I would prefer he stay put and help the Patriots over the top. Again.

This Move Has not been Confirmed Yet and Its just being discussed. If this move does go down it would be a really stupid move for the Pats they are 3-1 right now and are probably the Best division in Football. If this move does go through I would be a really HAPPY Jets because it will make it much easier for us to win the division. I just don't think this will Happen, and if it does get done its really stupid.

I guess I misunderstood. The trade is not official, but talks have begun and they're trying to get it done by the time the Vikings face the Jets next Monday.

This isn't even confirmed yet!!!

Just listened to it on ESPN, Moss hasn't been contacted yet about a trade. Before it goes down he has to sign a contract extension, with the Vikings not having permission yet, no trade has come fourth. Who knows besides draft picks, Bernard Berrian can be thrown in there as well. He signed a big contract back in 08' for like 42 million, but I think only 16 is guaranteed. Moss hasn't been used much this year, and the passing game seems to be fine. Both rookie TE's having been making big plays, Welker is back, and theres Tate, so the Pats might just take the picks and go with what they got.

You never know, maybe the Pats will turnaround and take the picks they receive for Moss and make a trade for Vincent Jackson. Probably unlikely but you never know.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bernard Berrian or Vincent Jackson in a Pats uniform, but like you said, you never know in the NFL.

I just listened to it too, and I'm still confused as to why we would trade one of, if not the biggest weapon in our receiving core right now. Moss still has 5, 6, maybe even 7 years left in him. What do I know? I'm just an innocent fan, and there's a lot more to it than I know and most likely will know.

I just listened to it too, and I'm still confused as to why we would trade one of, if not the biggest weapon in our receiving core right now. Moss still has 5, 6, maybe even 7 years left in him. What do I know?

Because Moss is in his last year if his contract, the Pats know he is gonna want big money for his next contract, because it will most likely be the last time he will make sign a big contract! So if the Pats can get enough value in a trade for him, might as well trade him then. Like I said the passing game is doing alright without him being a big factor, so he is available for the right price.

:lmao: @ the Patriot fans going ape shit right now. Please, do you honestly think they'd trade Moss away if they didn't feel they could win without him?

I can almost guarantee the way this is working out is two fold.

(1.) New England is going to get something big for the guy they got for a 4th round pick. Either a player and a pick, or a couple high value draft picks. I would be flat out shocked to see New England end up with anything less than a 2nd and a 4th/5th or a 3rd and two additional picks depending.

(2.) Moss is getting what he asked for. New England has said through these reports that they won't trade him until Minnesota has worked out an extension for Moss, that guarantees him the contract and "feeling of being needed" that he wanted from New England.

This trade is more than likely to happen, as early as tomorrow (Wed) according to most reports. However there is a possibility it doesn't happen because things have to be made just right.

And, once again, New England wouldn't even be entertaining this thought if they didn't feel secure in what they had without Moss. I think people downplaying the skills of Welker and Co. are going to be sadly mistaken, but only time will tell.

Trade is official:

The Patriots have traded Randy Moss to the Minnesota Vikings, the team which drafted the receiver 21st overall in 1998. The move ends a highly successful on-field marriage between Moss and Tom Brady, a relationship that saw Moss catch 50 touchdowns in three-plus seasons with the team.

ESPN's Adam Schefter was first to report that the Moss-to-Minnesota deal is done. Schefter said the Patriots will receive a third-round pick in exchange from the Vikings; the deal will be official this morning and Moss will play for the Vikings on Monday night vs. the Jets.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...10/10/report_moss_tra.html?rss_id=Top+Stories

Randy Moss is back home where he belongs. And we only gave up a 3rd round pick for the guy. This is definitely a great move for the Vikings and it gives us the WR we've been itching for all season. I'm so glad we didn't trade for Vincent Jackson now that we have Randy Moss. Moss gives this team the threat at WR it was missing since Sidney Rice went down and it makes the pain of needing a QB next season go away since TJack or whoever is the QB will have a lineup of Peterson, Moss, Rice, Shank, and Harvin to work with. Excellent move by Zygi Wilf and the rest of the Vikings front office.

Well, that was stupid. Why would the Pats trade away their top reciever? The only other good reciever that they have is Welker. Either way, great move by the Vikes. Can't wait for the next Bears/Vikings game. The Vikings needed a good wide reciever, and Brett finally got Randy Moss. Great move for the Vikes, awful move for the Pats.

Great move for the Vikings and while I don't min the Pats trading Moss because he was leaving after this year, they are now really thin at receiver. They're down to Welker, Brandon Tate, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater, and rookie Taylor Price. One thing to note, however, is that the Pats now have two picks in each of the first four rounds in next years draft. They could easily put together a package for Vincent Jackson. If they don't want to do that then they need to at least attempt to sign some sort of wide out that can stretch the field because they currently don't really have one.

Well, that was stupid. Why would the Pats trade away their top reciever? The only other good reciever that they have is Welker. Either way, great move by the Vikes. Can't wait for the next Bears/Vikings game. The Vikings needed a good wide reciever, and Brett finally got Randy Moss. Great move for the Vikes, awful move for the Pats.

Actually Noah, the top receiver is actually Wes Welker. Moss was the Pat's Deep Threat. That's basically what the Pats are losing. I think this is a great move for the Vikes. They needed a receiver and they got one. And add to the fact that this was Moss's last Contract Year, this is good for the Pats as well as they wouldn't have to renegotiate.

I wouldn't call it an awful move for NE. They knew they weren't going to keep Randy Moss after this season due to his contract being up and Moss knew he wouldn't be in a NE. So NE made a smart business decision and got something for him instead of letting him walk next season and get nothing for him. They did this last season with Richard Seymour, getting a first from Oakland. Smart business move by the Pats front office.

Now while it leaves the Pats thin at WR, I think they will be ok without Moss. They still have Welker and Aaron Hernandez is a TE on the rise here in the NFL and he has looked solid early on. Tate has potential to be a decent WR in the NFL. If he hadn't had gotten injury his final season in college at UNC he very well could have been a 2nd round pick. A trade for Vincent Jackson would be great for the offense, but I see it unlikely. If they can find a guy on the market then that would make sense, but I think they will be fine with what they have and will still compete for a playoff spot.

I'd also like to add that the Vikings offense now has no excuses. It was tough with Sydney Rice out because it left Minny without a number one receiver and it was even worse because Favre and Bernard Berrian don't seem to have the greatest chemistry. Now once Rice comes back the Vikings will have two legit number one receivers, one of the better slot guys in Percy Harvin, and then Bernard Berrian as the fourth receiver.

Clearly you don not understand the value of a 3rd round pick, nor do understand what kind of a distraction Moss could have potentially become had the season progressed without the Pats giving him a new huge contract, Moss was unhappy, unhappy players generally to play up to top potential, Moss really hadn't done much in NE this year outside of one big game, and the Pats have plenty of others threats on the offense for Brady to throw the ball to they don't need Moss anymore, especially if all he was gonna do this season was whine about his contract, getting a 3rd roud pick for him is pretty good, it allows them to grab somebody younger and who is going to be around a lot longer in the draft that can help them at what ever spot needs the most work (like say the defense), IMO this is a pretty fair trade for the most part

I'd also like to add that the Vikings offense now has no excuses. It was tough with Sydney Rice out because it left Minny without a number one receiver and it was even worse because Favre and Bernard Berrian don't seem to have the greatest chemistry. Now once Rice comes back the Vikings will have two legit number one receivers, one of the better slot guys in Percy Harvin, and then Bernard Berrian as the fourth receiver.

Yup no excuses. The offense now has what we were missing and that is an elite WR. Get Moss a contract extension and he'll be happy. If they can get into the playoffs then the real season starts. Rice will be fully healthy by then and the offense will fully gel. The defense is already good. It is make or break for the Vikings and it revolves around Favre's ankle and Moss' attitude.

:lmao: @ the Patriot fans going ape shit right now. Please, do you honestly think they'd trade Moss away if they didn't feel they could win without him?

The same way we felt secure we could win without Seymour. :rolleyes:

My best guess is something had to of happened sometime after Monday night for them to pull the trigger on this so quickly. And for a 3rd round pick nonetheless. Huge loss for the team, spreads the field and recieves double coverage downfield allowing for the short routes for Welker and company. The frustrating side of sports, I'll miss you Randy.

Actually Noah, the top receiver is actually Wes Welker. Moss was the Pat's Deep Threat. That's basically what the Pats are losing. I think this is a great move for the Vikes. They needed a receiver and they got one. And add to the fact that this was Moss's last Contract Year, this is good for the Pats as well as they wouldn't have to renegotiate.
Not even close Doug. Moss was the #1 reciver, and Welker was the #2, and it was NEVER close. Every team treated Moss like the #1 receiver. Look at the Jets. Who did the Jets place on Revis Island? Moss, not Welker. Now Welker will finally have to prove if he can be a legit #1 receiver, since he's never really proven it yet.

This is almost a sign of the Pats giving up on the season. If Belichick really thinks that Brandon Tate can adequately replace Randy Moss, then he needs to go into a psych ward. Tate is not Randy Moss, and Moss is so good I would feel safe in saying he will NEVER be as good as Moss. And as I said, Tate does not deserve the respect of defenses that Moss garners, thus increasing the coverage on the other targets.

At least Moss' fantasy owners can rejoice at him not having a Bye week.

EDIT:
The same way we felt secure we could win without Seymour. :rolleyes:

My best guess is something had to of happened sometime after Monday night for them to pull the trigger on this so quickly. And for a 3rd round pick nonetheless. Huge loss for the team, spreads the field and recieves double coverage downfield allowing for the short routes for Welker and company. The frustrating side of sports, I'll miss you Randy.
Something did happen. It was called "Lets not throw the ball to Randy Moss, an emotional receiver who would get pissed about that." He had 1 target all game I think, and it was a fake spike in the end zone that he dropped.

One more forgotten aspect of this. How happy is Brady right now? It's arguable that of all the receivers, Moss was his favorite target, and they had the most chemistry. Now you're going to take that away? Brady finally gets the big-time contract he deserves, and they take away his favorite toy, I'd be pissed.

I agree with Trooper that many in this thread are downplaying the loss of Randy Moss to the New England offense. The team has ZERO proven number one receivers. Wes Welker is a great number two guy in 2 receiver sets and a tremendous slot receiver when they go to three or more wide outs. However, he is not a number one guy that can stretch the field on every play and come up big week in and week out against the opposing teams number one corner. And make no mistake about it, Welker will be facing the other teams number one corner every week unless the Pats can pull off a trade for a guy like Vincent Jackson.

Welker is at his best when he is catching passes underneath and over the middle because that is what his skill set caters to. Julian Edelman is basically just Wes Welker light so the guys that will have to step up are Brandon Tate and Matthew Slater. One of those guys needs to become a legit deep threat for this offense to be close to what it has been the last couple years. Moss could stretch the field on every play, he would constantly draw double coverages which helped a guy like Welker to have the success he did, and he always had the opposing teams number one corner covering him. That is a lot to lose with no proven replacement on the roster. I mean shit, Brandon Tate at 6'1 is now the tallest receiver on the team.

This is a pretty big move for both teams. The Patriots are thin at WR as has been said, and maybe are going to try and use some of the draft picks they have to trade for Vicent Jackson. If they try or don't get him, it will really hurt their chances at making the playoffs. They have Welker and a bunch of unproven guys. This is a step back, but maybe to make some big steps forward in the near future or later.

As for the Vikings, this gives Farve that big play WR he needs and wants. This offense is loaded with Harvin, Rice and now Moss. Add Peterson in the backfield and there is no reason they shouldn't be able to put points on the board and win games. The Vikings are back in the mix.

This helps the Vikings a hell of a lot more than it helps the Pats. Anyway, I think this was the right move. Tom Brady, in my view, reached an all-time-low in that game against the Jets. He was awful. I actually think Brady was a better QB before he had Moss. With Moss, it seems like Brady is always forcing the ball into coverage. Of course Moss is awesome in that respect but it's not like it's '99. The chemistry between those two just seemed weak in my view.

I think Tom Brady, believe or not, is a better QB without Moss. Pre-2007, Brady was putting up elite numbers without those big time receivers. Brady was anticipating receivers getting open, going through his progressions fast, his release was extremely quick, and made those journeyman receivers look really good. I think Brady will still be as good of a QB as he is. It will affect their offensive bad, however. Speaking as a Giants fan, when we had Plaxico Burress defenses had to assign two defensive backs on him at ALL times. It really helped our running game flourish. I don't think any defenses are going to give Edelman and Tate that kind of respect. Welker should be blanketed much easier, I persume. Good deal for the Vikings. It'll be interesting to see if their offense can become better than it was last year, which is fucking scary. Currently, its utter shit as their picking up receivers off the street.

Moss was unhappy, unhappy players generally to play up to top potential...

Not Moss. When he was unhappy in Oakland, he gave a half-assed effort, although I never read that he refused to accept any of his paychecks. When he was unhappy in Minnesota, he announced that he "plays only when I want to."

The man is a cancer who has lived in abject misery everywhere he's been..... and it's never his fault; it's always the team. Yeah, sure.

It was reported today that Moss got into a heated argument with Bill Belichick at halftime on Monday. Do you think he was arguing that his offensive lineman should get more respect? No, he was surely arguing that the ball wasn't being passed to him enough. After the loss to the Jets, he took his rant to the newspapers at a time the team was trying to pull together.

Randy Moss is the most selfish son of a bitch in team sports and if he wasn't able to catch a football, no one would be paying any attention to him.

Minnesota has to be careful. Sure, Moss will be "happy" this year and probably do some great things. It's after this year that they have to watch for, because he's undoubtedly going to become unhappy somewhere down the line; it's all he's ever done.

For that reason, a long term contract may be a bad idea. It will be interesting to see what the Vikings do and whether they come to regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back