• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Racism > Homophobia > Sexism

And if you're a different sex you can be subjected to it. Anyone can be a victim of sexism in the same way they can racism. Sexism is still very much a part of this world, in the same way racism is. However, being the sex that is often discriminated against I notice it more than you. I don't think there's more racism in the world than there is sexism, I think it's pretty equal actually. And I don't just mean in Western cultures. I mean everywhere.

And if you're a different sex you can be subjected to it. Anyone can be a victim of sexism in the same way they can racism. Sexism is still very much a part of this world, in the same way racism is. However, being the sex that is often discriminated against I notice it more than you. I don't think there's more racism in the world than there is sexism, I think it's pretty equal actually. And I don't just mean in Western cultures. I mean everywhere.

Okay, well I agree with that, seeing as though im a male. But in turn, being the race that is brought up in racism (me being black) I would see more than you, as I've ben subject to it from time to time. But I see where you're getting at.

Thanks for another good debate. I'd rep, you but apparently I got to spread it around.

Okay, well I agree with that, seeing as though im a male. But in turn, being the race that is brought up in racism (me being black) I would see more than you, as I've ben subject to it from time to time. But I see where you're getting at.

I agree with this. The people being affected by it would notice it more. It is easy for people not affected to simply ignore it, and pretend it's not happening. I try not to do this with racism or sexism, as I completely hate both, and am well aware both are used too frequently. As one of the few females on this board, I think some people don't realise how much of a problem sexism still is. I'm not targetting you specifically there, that's just the general consensus.

Everyone said it already, racism is normally treated as the worst of the three because it has such a long storied and violent history, and yes the same can be said for all the other three, and I'm not saying it's the right view. But in those three, persons will react differently depending on which one it is, and racism causes the worst reaction, that is true.

Sure, you can say that people shouldn't always bring up the slavery aspect of it all the time, but you can't deny it is one of the biggest examples of racism, so that's why it's the first thought people arrive at when they hear that word, and it wasn't only slavery, people used to be killed just for being of a different skin color and race. But while you say the phrase "we were slaves" shouldn't be used as an excuse, it's not like the phrase "It's because I'm a woman" hasn't been used from time to time. And though sexism is and will always be apart of our lives, you can't deny that things have been made better for women, much better. In fact, you brought up the ways women were treated in the past, isn't that the same as people falling back on the "slaves" excuse? Just saying.

The fact of the matter is that it's in our mentality to distrust or dislike things that are different to ourselves, everyone's a bit racist or sexist, not in the fact that they will actively detest or try to hurt people different that them but in the fact that they will label those who are different with certain stereotypes whether consciously or subconsciously. And though, some will be able to think above those stereotypes, there will always be that small inkling in the back of your head that someone isn't trustworthy or someone is suspicious because of a difference in looks, behavior or sex. It is just automatic for example that because someone is a woman, they're supposed to be weaker than men, or that because your employer is a man, they're fighting against you preventing a woman's success even though there might just be another person who's just better than you at the job.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't those sexist, racist individuals or homophobic individuals who hold others down but the fact of the matter is people will sometimes attribute individuals succeeding in fields they have failed in to them being treated differently or coming from a different background : "He's asian, no wonder he beats me in maths" or, "If I was male, I'm sure they'd have given me that promotion". It happens, it doesn't mean that you're racist or sexist, it's just you falling subconsciously into stereotypes. I've been in NY, and been followed in shops by security guards because I'm a big, tall teenage black guy, and I'm not saying those guards are racist, they're just following the stereotype, which is not their fault but the fault of the black teens who in the past may have stolen, and maybe caused trouble in their store thus their mind automatically associates anyone who fits that stereotype to be a thief or cause trouble, and they treat them accordingly.

Alot of the things that racism is screamed out for IMO are just misunderstandings, who's to say someone of the same skin colour would not have been treated the same way?

Anway, I barely touched on homophobia. Probably because I suspect I'm a bit homophobic myself, not that I detest them or anything like that, I'm a bit indifferent to them, just people who choose to live their life differently to mine, more power to them. However, I do get annoyed sometimes at homosexuals who deliberately draw attention to themselves, causing commotions and what not all to accuse individuals of being homophobic, when really they were just reacting to you being an ass.

But I guess there are those in every sexuality. What I don't agree with is how homosexuals have been treated, more importantly the fact that they are killed in some places. People say that God didn't like homosexuals, even so, you think God would like you taking the choice of life or death into your own hands? Think God likes murderers?

To (finally) conclude ( I hate typing so much), those 3 have been terrible acts by human beings to human beings, some of which is still taking place right now, but some are treated worse than others due to simply the fact that they have had more violent pasts and vivid occurrences than the others. Even if laws are being passed to reduce and prevent all three, there is NO denying that they are still present.

I agree with this. The people being affected by it would notice it more. It is easy for people not affected to simply ignore it, and pretend it's not happening. I try not to do this with racism or sexism, as I completely hate both, and am well aware both are used too frequently. As one of the few females on this board, I think some people don't realise how much of a problem sexism still is. I'm not targetting you specifically there, that's just the general consensus.

In all honesty, im one of those people that don't know how much of a problem sexism still is. I know it was in the past, but know, the only thing I see with being sexist is degrading woman and in politics. Where I see/hear people say that woman aren't ready to be high in politics like president, vis president or mayor (not sure if there has already ben 1 or if there is 1 now). But that's all I really hear or read about with woman and sexism. So I understand what you're saying about that.

Im a gay, jewish black guy who burns the American flag!

But seriously, racism nowadays can be taken two ways. One, the serious hard nuts who proclaim that other races and religions are inferioer and must be kileld at al costs.

But the second option(and the one that seems more frequent in the UK) is the people who blame racism on thier social failures. Best one yet is a polish cleaner who cant speak English is sueing because she classes her lack of English as a disability. Am I a racist for laughing my arse off and telling her to fuck off home if she cant speak the lingo?

Or If i laugh at South Park or any comedy who opening mocks blacks, Jews, etc, does that make me racist?

Its kind of the same with sexism. Blonde jokes are age, if I laugh at them, am I some sort of sexist pig?

Or if i get uncomfortable when im at a pub and two guys are smooching away with each other, does that make me a homophobe?(Bear in mind, I hate seeing couples all over themselves when im out on the lash!)

I'm not sexist or homophobic or racist but I think at the end of the day, equality will never exist.

1. People are ALWAYS going to want to be better than someone else and will do whatever it takes to be better than them, wether it be spreading racist or homophobic comments, waging war against a certain race, or wether it be only hiring males or only hiring females, one group of people will ALWAYS strive to be better than another.

2. If we look at the Aboriginal/Appology/Equality issue we have in Australia. The Aboriginals have developed a racial stereotype for themselves. I'm not saying they are because facts are, they arn't all like this, I know Aboriginals who work hard for their money and are decent members of society, but some parts of society still view Aboriginals as petrol sniffing, child abusing, criminals who spend all their government benifits on booze. Now it's easy to say that they have brought this on themselves, which they havn't, we can blame the media for this and the fact that the media and news tend to favour negative news stories rather than positive articles. Aboriginals can be successful, look at Cathy Freeman yet no matter what we do, people will still hate against the Aborginals.

That example can be used for pretty much any race as every race has successful and un-successful people and the news will still focus on the bad part of the race and cause even more racism.

3. Sexism: This will NEVER die out, why? Because as I said before, one group of people will still strive to be better than the other group. The internet doesn't help either as you can go onto google and search for sexist jokes, thus increasing the amount of people exposed to sexist material who could then form a sexist view and then they spread it.

4. Homophobia: This will also be around for a long time because people are generally afraid of the unknown and people who arn't homosexual or bi-sexual will not understand what it is like for homosexual and bi-sexual people to be open to the world and will not want to try to understand them either, instead it is easier for them to joke about it, rather than understand it.

If you were to ask me which is worse, I would say racism, only because it's more dominant than the other two in the society where I live, although the other two are bad aswell.

How many lynch-burnings did the female gender have to go through to earn their rights again? Oh yeah, none. They just marched. That is probably why it's more acceptable to be sexist then racist. Because sexism almost never leads to violence, whereas racism almost always does. Homophobia would be in the middle because while it's become more acceptable, people still brutally attack and kill people for simply being gay. That simply doesn't happen with sexism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back