Punk Rock

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
So what the fuck, am I really the only fan of punk music on this god damn forum? I know Ty is down with some hardcore and I think Tiger is a fan as well.

What about the rest of you? Anyone listen to punk? Can be anything really, classic 70s shit or modern hardcore, doesn't matter to me. Lets just talk about a music genre that doesn't get talked about on here ever unfortunately.

Lately I've been listening almost nonstop to the Descendent's Milo Goes to College, 88 Fingers Louie's Back on the Streets and the Subhumans' EP-LP. Been listening to alot of new punk recently though trying to discover any good bands, there are a few. Any recommendations?

Come on you fuckers, I even put this in the Cage so more of you would see this shit.

Liek Sex Pistols, Stiff little fingers, Undertones etc?

True punk rock? Not really. I think Comeback Kid are the closest thing to real punk rock that I like, and they're more of an Old School Hardcore band. I do however love the pop/punk and hardcore mix bands are doing these days. Its just a ton of fun to listen to.

Good stuff on the 88 Fingers Louie you recommend to me a while back, X.

I am a fan of most things considered Punk.

I don't listen to a lot of punk music sadly. With exception of SR-71 which I've already told you about.

I liek the older stuff and the early american punk but thats about it.

Joking aside, Punk certainly does rock

cm-punk.jpg

When I think of Punk, no one defines the genre better than Avril Levine. Her anger mixed with the awesome anti-establishment lyrics are what makes punk so freaking neato.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Nope – I own every Bad Religion CD there is, and I listen to them quite often. We may differ on the exact type of punk we like, but the modern political bravado incarnations are A-OK with me as well – namely Rise Against and Strike Anywhere, who I'd consider still punk.

I listen to anything on my local New Rock/Alternative station. So if punk happens to be on that, then I listen to it. I'd also say that I have no idea about what genre certain bands go in to.

My laptop's busted and it contains my musical library, so I haven't really listened to much punk of any kind (or music in general) in a good while.

Some powerviolence left in my Zune (since I can't hook up to my laptop anymore) consist of Weekend Nachos, California Love, and Knuckle Scraper. I got 50/50 for goregrind. And I'm not sure if Circle Takes The Square fits in this thread, but I'm sure they do. Hot Cross too.

I used to be big on Dystopia and Phobia (for a bit) too. D.R.I., Man Is the Bastard, Wolfbrigade, a buncha different punks, really, but they were from years ago and don't pique my interests anymore.

Insect Warfare were always boring to me. I did like Graf Orlock, but wasn't able to continue since I got all punk out of my system. Ceremony was meh. I kinda liked Coke Bust. I used to be high on Shai Hulud.

If I go through a punk binge again, I'll be back to discuss.

I'm probably the biggest fan of Screwdriver here.

Can't be or you'd know Skrewdriver is spelled with a K. It makes them extra-racist.

Liek Sex Pistols, Stiff little fingers, Undertones etc?

Indeed, but fuck the Pistols. One good album is all they had, that was it.

Surprised you know who the Undertones are. Teenage Kicks is a classic.

True punk rock? Not really. I think Comeback Kid are the closest thing to real punk rock that I like, and they're more of an Old School Hardcore band. I do however love the pop/punk and hardcore mix bands are doing these days. Its just a ton of fun to listen to.

Nothing wrong with pop-punk, when it's good. Been listening to alot of Screeching Weasel lately myself.

Good stuff on the 88 Fingers Louie you recommend to me a while back, X.

I am a fan of most things considered Punk.

Yeah, underrated group there. Lately I've been listening to alot of punk from the 90s.

I don't listen to a lot of punk music sadly. With exception of SR-71 which I've already told you about.

SR-71 is definitely not punk. The closest they come is pop-punk but they're really more of a standard alternative rock band, not punk.

There we go. <3

Nope &#8211; I own every Bad Religion CD there is, and I listen to them quite often. We may differ on the exact type of punk we like, but the modern political bravado incarnations are A-OK with me as well &#8211; namely Rise Against and Strike Anywhere, who I'd consider still punk.

Not familiar with Strike Anywhere, but yes I'd consider Rise Against punk, certainly, they started off melodic hardcore though they've kind of gotten more poppy over the years. Great modern punk band though.

Can't go wrong with Bad Religion, be it their early awesome pure hardcore:

Or their later revolutionary shit that influenced every punk band of the last 20 years:

Graffin is such an absurdly genius lyricist.

My laptop's busted and it contains my musical library, so I haven't really listened to much punk of any kind (or music in general) in a good while.

Some powerviolence left in my Zune (since I can't hook up to my laptop anymore) consist of Weekend Nachos, California Love, and Knuckle Scraper. I got 50/50 for goregrind. And I'm not sure if Circle Takes The Square fits in this thread, but I'm sure they do. Hot Cross too.

You rock. Circle Takes the Square are awesome, As the Roots Undo is one of my favorite albums. Sure we can throw screamo/post-hardcore like CTTS into the mix, it's all derived from punk (and metal).

Anyways, I'm bored, so stay tuned as I briefly sample to you every subgenre of punk I can think of. Stay tuned.

So here we go. I'm bored, you guys aren't very familiar with punk, so here we go. I'll try to list off every damn subgenre I can think of and a song that best exemplifies it.

First things first, proto-punk, AKA punk music before anyone coined the term and before the genre truly started. Examples of proto-punk would be best exemplified by bands like MC5 and The Stooges. Here's a sample of some classic proto-punk:

Next up we've got the original British punk of the early to mid 1970s, bands like The Clash, The Damned, Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, etc. These are the bands that along with the NY Punk scene of the 70s basically invented and popularized the genre. Obviously we know the success the Pistols and The Clash have had, so I really doubt I need to play you some of their songs. Here are some other fine examples of that first initial wave of British punk, the first of which is considered by many to be the first real punk song to be recorded and released, by The Damned in 1975. They were finding success with punk 2 years before the Pistols ever came into existence.

I'm only going to include a song from the Buzzcocks early days there simply because their later work was more post-punk and melodic than their early, raw days of just pure Brit-punk. After this first wave a whole shitload of great bands rose up out of the influence, bands like X-Ray Spex, The Adverts, and most importantly Crass. Crass is extremely influential and along with bands like Flux of Pink Indians, Zounds, Anthrax and the Subhumans helped start the genre of anarcho-punk, taking hardcore to the next level with extremely politicized lyrics of an anarchist philosophy. These bands were fast, righteous, intelligent, and kicked fucking ass. Here are some classic anarcho-punk songs:

Now at the same time that this is all happening in England, in New York a similar revolution in music is taking place with bands like the New York Dolls, The Ramones, the Dead Boys, Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Television, Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers, any many other great bands. New York punk had an extremely distinct sound to it that bands almost always adhered to EXCEPT for The Ramones, who all but invented pop-punk with their insanely simply and insanely melodic and catchy songs, usually never longer than 2 minutes, which catapulted them into international success and to be one of the most popular punk bands ever. To give you a taste of some early Ramones, here's one of my favorite songs from their first album from 1976:

Now, for some other NY Punk which is very different from the Ramones style, most NY Punk bands tended to be more complex and more traditional than the Ramones almost-hardcore style, bands like Television and the Dead Boys probably best exemplified this sound:

Also during this mid-70s period in Australia there was a pretty damn good scene as well taking cues from both NY and London, great bands like The Saints and Radio Birdman:

And whew, yeah, gonna stop there. There you go, there's most of the history of punk in the 70s and the main scenes/subgenres of the time. I didn't include street punk, oi, or hardcore either as I'll tackle those next time.

Yes, I really just posted all of that. Why? Boredom. Now pump that fucking fist in the air and listen to some good music.

So you would totally love me X if I said I saw Circle Takes the Square and Pg. 99 together at a show right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back