Ptd's Punk Band Of The Week

Ptd

HxC
Hey everyone, I'm Ptd, and I'm looking to put some life into the Music section. Starting today, I will do a once weekly look into a selected punk band. Most of the time I will be doing a more lesser known band to introduce to the posters here at wrestlezone. Bands that are in any type of genre involving punk will be legible here. If you have any reccomondations towards any lesser known punk band you like, please tell me.

With that being said we are under way with our first week, and the band I will be covering is non other than MINOR THREAT

334_minor_threat.gif

Now I know Minor Threat isn't exactly a lesser known band(or at least they shouldnt be), but I figured since this is the first week I should start of with my personal favorite, and more widely known band.

Minor Threat was a hardcore punk band from Washington DC formed in 1980. They broke up not to long after in 1983, but not before making a huge impact on the hardcore punk movement. Frontman Ian MacKaye and drummer Jeff Nelson went to high school together, and were in the band The Teen Idles. That band broke up and made way for Minor Threat. Ian and Jeff then picked up bassist Brian Baker and guitarist Lyle Preslar. They shortly afterwards released their first EP self titled Minor Threat. On that EP was a very important song that soon became the theme song for hardcore straight edge kids everywhere, the song was titled "Straight Edge". Minor Threat was a straight edge band that encouraged having fun without drinking, smoking, or drugs. Many believe that they started the whole "straight edge movement". That EP also carried a few other very good songs such as, "Filler", "Bottled Violence", "Seeing Red", and "I Dont Wanna Hear It". With things looking very good for Minor Threat, as they were headlining shows with the like of Black Flag and the Bad Brains, they released their second EP that year titled "In My Eyes". On that EP were such marvels as "In My Eyes", "Guilty Of Being White", and "Stepping Stone". Their last EP wouldnt be released until after the band broke up, "Salad Days". There were only three songs on this EP, "Salad Days", "Good Guys Don't Wear White", and "Stumped". That EP was not relased until 1985, two years after their break up in 1983. Their breakup had a few factors that effected it, the hardcore scene getting to violent, confusion in musical direction, and loss of interested. Afterwards, Ian went on to form huge post-hardcore band Fugazi, and the other members went their seperate ways in their individual musical careers. Overall, Minor Threat effected music in many ways. Today, many punk bands list Minor Threat as one of their influences.

MEMBERS
Ian MacKaye(vocals)
Brian Baker(bass)
Lyle Preslar(guitar)
Jeff Nelson(drums)

DISCOGRAPHY
Minor Threat (1981)
In My Eyes (1981)
Salad Days (1985)

Minor Threat -Minor Threat
[youtube]iaOzbsv2ZB0[/youtube]

Minor Threat -Seeing Red Live in DC
[youtube]qRpTf27WtTM[/youtube]

Minor Threat -Guilty Of Being White Live In NY
[youtube]Ss_fyW7CW2[/youtube]

Randomly stumbled across this thread. Always good to see fellow punk fans on the forums, when I first started here I'd mention a band like Minor Threat and get responses like "Who's that?". Shameful.

Minor Threat are the definitive American hardcore/straight-edge band. Black Flag may have been the headliners, and Bad Brains may have been the spark, but Minor Threat's entire discography just exemplified the hardcore spirit at it's absolute best.

Ian MacKaye is a fucking genius. Whether he's perfecting hardcore with Minor Threat, inventing emo with Embrace (original emo is hardcore punk with more focus on melody and introspective lyrics for those who think a band like My Chemical Romance is actual emo) or inventing post-hardcore with Fugazi, the man literally can do no wrong. Probably the most important figure in the history of punk rock.

Anyways, I feel like this thread deserved atleast one response, and it definately deserved a few more of Minor Threat's best songs.

[youtube]Ji8psud6Pc8[/youtube]
[youtube]w9ah8EXBpFg[/youtube]
[youtube]qTRGL4s9RLM[/youtube]
[youtube]IkGfSn-eY9U[/youtube]

If you ever find yourself interested in punk rock, Minor Threat is one of the first bands you should always check out.

Reactions: Ptd

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back