Band Merchandise

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
Before, band merchandise, whether that be a t-shirt, poster, keyring or (in the case of Kiss) whatever, shows you appreciate a band and are a fan.

However more recently it seems lots of people have been wearing band t-shirts and the like without actually liking the band (or in some cases even knowing who they were/are) Now I know this was probably happening before now but it seems to be more dominant now. Why is that???

Now obviously I can kind of see the reasoning behind someone wearing a Rolling Stones, Ramones, Guns N Roses etc t-shirt. These are bands that have A) endured the test of time and B) have iconic logos that are instantly recognisable. But recently I've seen t-shirts for other bands that I wouldn't have thought were that ingrained in the public conciousness e.g. Slayer, Faith No More and others. Now don't get me wrong these are good bands and have endured as well but they're not part of the public music conciousness as the previous mentioned other bands and don't really have an iconic logo per se. I recently bought a Faith No More t-shirt from HMV and was surprised because I didn't expect them to stock such things (heck the HMV I go to has one Faith No More CD on sale) Now I bought it because I 'm a fan but I was telling my friend I highly doubt the majority of people who buy these t-shirts know who the band are.

Now I've seen quite a few band t-shirts that I liked the design of, however either not know who the band are or not liking them at all I don't buy them. I think that should be down to a fan or a possible one

Now I know this gives the artists exposure and money and more power to them but should people wearing band merchandise (and to a lesser extent any kind of merchandise I guess) at least know about the artists that their garments are promoting???

However more recently it seems lots of people have been wearing band t-shirts and the like without actually liking the band (or in some cases even knowing who they were/are) Now I know this was probably happening before now but it seems to be more dominant now. Why is that???

Now obviously I can kind of see the reasoning behind someone wearing a Rolling Stones, Ramones, Guns N Roses etc t-shirt. These are bands that have A) endured the test of time and B) have iconic logos that are instantly recognisable.

I've noticed this as well. I see a lot of people who run around campus whering Lil Wayne or Drake shirts then turn around and sport a Led Zeppelin or Ramones tee. It's not to say that one can't enjoy top 40 as well as some more..erm..intelligent music, but the thing is, upon further investigation in the form of dialogue with them about the subject of their shirt, I quickly realize that top 40 is all they listen to.

It frustrates me because I feel like it's truely just act of trying to come off looking like they know music. Especially when people run around in Nirvana and can only name Smells Like Teen Spirit and the songs featured in Guitar Hero.

I think some band t-shirts have just become a "cool" and "trendy" thing to wear. You often find popular shops releasing T-Shirts with iconic band logos on and shockingly-high prices, which is really annoying.

There is a shop in the Arndale centre in Manchester, can't remember its name...that has a huge range of band t-shirts with the logos as studs, which look cool but are often work by people with no interest in the band at all, and are bought just as a fashion statement. I bought a Kiss, AC/DC and Guns N Roses shirt from there, and was going to get a Motley Crue on also but they didn't have it in my size at the time.

Weird story, my official band merchandise Motorhead t-shirt was actually bought from Debenhams....what the hell are Motorhead doing selling their mechandise in fucking Debenhams!? HAHA

There is a shop in the Arndale centre in Manchester, can't remember its name...that has a huge range of band t-shirts with the logos as studs, which look cool but are often work by people with no interest in the band at all, and are bought just as a fashion statement. I bought a Kiss, AC/DC and Guns N Roses shirt from there, and was going to get a Motley Crue on also but they didn't have it in my size at the time.

Pulp, is it? Near the cookie stall behind the escalator? I've picked up one or two things from the before - but nothing as ostentatious as those.

The best way to show up people who are obviously musically oblivious but like to wear the colours, is to ask them what their favourite album by said band is, or how many times they've seen them live.

Pulp, is it? Near the cookie stall behind the escalator? I've picked up one or two things from the before - but nothing as ostentatious as those.

The best way to show up people who are obviously musically oblivious but like to wear the colours, is to ask them what their favourite album by said band is, or how many times they've seen them live.

I think that may be the name of it, it does ring a bell. I first spotted it because for some reason in the middle of the day on a busy Saturday, they were absolutely blasting Limp Bizkit's "Chocolate Starfish" album, the version WITH all the swearing in. It was a bizarre sight, seeing all these mothers rushing their kids past the shop while "Hot Dog" and its 50+ "Fucks" blared out of the speakers.

I do like band T-Shirts, but I won't wear one for a band I do not like at all. I own a Doors T-Shirt, which is actually my favourite item of clothing, and I am not a huge Doors fan. I like quite a bit of their stuff, but not a mega-fan. I find some of it boring. But, I think that qualifies me to wear the shirt.

But I don't like The Ramones, so you would never see me in a Ramones shirt, however "trendy" it is to own one. Admittedly, it is a cool shirt, but I won't be buying one.

Agreed, Naitch. And off the top of my head I can only think of a handful of Ramones songs, so I don't know how these young whippersnappers go about with their Primark band shirts.

(Speaking of Primark, when I was last in there with Mrs. Soda I saw t-shirts with the WWE scratch logo on them. I considered picking one up, but I have too much of a beer gut to squeeze into a youth XL.)

I own plenty of band t-shirts, but I only ever buy them at gigs because (a) it's a memento of the event and so every shirt will have a story, (b) you know the money is going straight to the band and not being claimed by some middle-man, and (c) it's a legitimate connection to the band.

I do like band T-Shirts, but I won't wear one for a band I do not like at all. I own a Doors T-Shirt, which is actually my favourite item of clothing, and I am not a huge Doors fan. I like quite a bit of their stuff, but not a mega-fan. I find some of it boring. But, I think that qualifies me to wear the shirt.

But I don't like The Ramones, so you would never see me in a Ramones shirt, however "trendy" it is to own one. Admittedly, it is a cool shirt, but I won't be buying one.

I'm like that. I've seen quite a few t-shirts by certain bands (Asking Alexandria, Bring Me The Horizon etc) who have really cool t-shirt designs, but I don't like the bands so I wouldn't buy them. Its kind of insulting to the real fans in a way that here are people wearing a t-shirt by a band you like because it 'looks cool'

I'm the same way as some of you mentioned above. I wear nothing but band shirts (except for one shirt supporting a dirt track racer the company I used to work for sponsored) and I always see shirts that look awesome by bands I have never heard of. I don't buy them. The only band I have a shirt by that I don't really listen to is Led Zeppelin and that was a Christmas gift. I do listen to some of their stuff though so I don't feel too bad wearing it.

Sometimes a shirt can be a conversation starter and it's awkward when you start talking to someone about their shirt and you realize they have no idea what you're talking about. I've had it happen with both music shirts and wrestling shirts.

I hate when people do this! If you like the band then not a big deal but when you don't like the band (or cant even name at least 3 songs by them you like for that matter) you should NOT wear a shirt for that band, For example I own a Foo Fighters shirt but I really enjoy the band, I want to get a couple Asking Alexandria bands but they are my favorite band and I listin to just about all their songs.

People who just wear band shirts to be trendy are the worst type of fans, Even worse than people who just like bands cause their friends like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back