Pro Wrestling/Sports Entertainment

MCMG

King Of The Ring
I would love if someone could explain the difference. Preferably in a modern context. Drew Galloway cut a big promo about it on TNA and I think it was a load of crap.

Isn't sports entertainment just a nice way of labelling it meaning "wrestlers" are actually "sports entertainers" too.

I'm interested

There is no difference. People disgruntled at WWE like to think there is.

There is a perception that since the declaration of "sports entertainment," WWE has allowed itself to move away from an emphasis on wrestling as entertainment to an emphasis on entertainment that happens to include wrestling. Unsurprisingly, fans of wrestling itself could see this as a problem.

Exactly how much water such an argument holds is another question.

You could argue that NXT is proving some of the sceptics correct in their differentiation between sports entertainment and pro wrestling. It focuses on wrestling and feuds, without all the sundry "entertainment" that RAW is bloated with and gets raves reviews.

I tend to think that WWE's problem is not a change in emphasis but more that it is forgetting how to make consistently entertaining wrestling shows, at least on the main programming. There are so many meaningless and repetitive matches, while feuds are so poorly developed, champions so thoroughly neutered coupled with a chronic underestimating of the can of worms that the "reality era" has opened with regards to the stubbornness of booking and a failure to learn from the YES Movement last year (which in itself was another can of worms opened by Vince and co painting themselves into such a corner that they had to bow to fan pressure).

All of that together has formed a perfect storm of complete nonsense, with the reception of Roman Reigns being Exhibit A. This time a year ago, people knew he would be the anointed breakout star of the Shield and that was acceptable. But he has been mishandled so badly that it could very well blow up in WWE's faces. Sure, Bryan and then Reigns himself being injured did not help but Reigns has had such a lacklustre run as a singles competitor, particularly in contrast to the excellent Rollins and the pops that Ambrose was getting in the early months of his singles run, that few really buy him as a credible champion/threat to the Beast Incarnate.

Yeah, when I hear shareholders and other outsiders of WWE like news media and such as "sports entertainment", then I might buy McMahon's bullshit. But right now its not a sport and it certainly ain't entertaining. So its clearly not "sports entertainment".

yeah when i was a kid i couldnt wait to become a sports entertainer..i mean as kids when we sports entertaining in our yards we dreamed of one day sports entertaining vs the Rock/Austin.. at sportsentertainmentmania of course

point is calling pro wrestling is ******ed unless you're a crazy old man that actually created his own Universe to make himself god

Personally, I kinda wish wrestling was to the old gladiator days the loser dies. That way we can avoid this BS even steven booking and champions stop jobbing.

The difference between Professional Wrestling and Sports Entertainment is Professional Wrestling is what this all used to be back when people thought it was real competition. Sports Entertainment is what this all is after people found out it was scripted. I, myself, call it Professional Sports Wrestling Entertainment. They get paid, they are doing athletic moves, specifically wrestling for our entertainment. At the end of the day, they are all athletic actors, or acting athletes.

And that’s the bottom line, if you smell, cause Austin said what the Rock is cooking!!

I'd say Sports Entertainment is a kind of wrestling, like a collie is a kind of dog. There are other styles like Lucha and Strong Style most prominently. It's about presentation.

I'd say Sports Entertainment is a kind of wrestling, like a collie is a kind of dog. There are other styles like Lucha and Strong Style most prominently. It's about presentation.

Lucha Libre is the Spanish word for wrestling and "Puroresu" is an Americanism on how the Japanese pronounce it. These terms are no more than translations of the same word. Strong Style is just a word to replace "stiff" because wrestlers used to be ***** to people they didn't know.

Lucha Libre is the Spanish word for wrestling and "Puroresu" is an Americanism on how the Japanese pronounce it. These terms are no more than translations of the same word. Strong Style is just a word to replace "stiff" because wrestlers used to be ***** to people they didn't know.

Like how "Sports Entertainment" is the Stamford translation for wrestling.

The only reason there is such a distinction is because of people who are trying to distinguish himself from WWE and creating this profile (which is probably true) that they don't or won't allow the term 'wrestling', prefix or none, in their vernacular because they are their own brand of wrestling. Hence, it becomes a fanciable ploy to designate yourself a pro-wrestler to react against the non-existing oppression of daring to use it. It's an imaginary line drawn in the sand that you can cross at any time.

Nope, no difference.

To be fair Harlem Globetrotters is Sports Entertainment and it's not wrestling.

To be fair Harlem Globetrotters is Sports Entertainment and it's not wrestling.

"Let me get this straight. You took all the money you made franchising your name and bet it *against* the Harlem Globetrotters?"

"Oh, I thought the Generals were due!"

Sports Entertainment is pretty much Vince's model of wrestling and he created the term to differentiate it from other kinds.

There's more behind it than just the name, distinct features like how cards are structured, characters are presented, matches usually end, the kind of psychology, moves and stories used, how streamlined the program is and so on. It's a bit like saying the Attitude Era is nothing more than the time between 1997 and 2001 in the WWF, when it's defined by the presentation of the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back